Words that Don't Belong on Lit

Re: smirk

dececious said:
aw why so down on smirk? In the right situation (maybe like a playful BDSM situation ( which I've used it in)) it can be useful.
My theory is any word has its place, if its used in the RIGHT place. For example, some people find 'dirty' words to be a quick and immediate button press (shall we say) others prefer their erotica to have some class and innuendo so they can let their imagination run free.
Its all subjective, I'm pretty sure that you could find a case for any of these words that are disliked under the right circumstances.

D

Ahh, good point, dececious. Any word has its place, yes! Sadly, though, in 9 out of 10 places I've seen the word "smirk" used in stories, it ruined the characterization the author was trying build.

n 9 out of 10 places I've seen the word "smirk" used in stories, it ruined the characterization the author was trying build.

I am also anti-smirk. To me the word connotes a smart-ass attitude. Often it is obviously not what the author intended. But that is because the author probably doesn't know the true meaning of the word.

Looking it up on Dictionary.com, one finds the primary definition of the word smirk to be:
To smile in an affected, often offensively self-satisfied manner.

It's not a pretty picture is it? A smirk is a 'put down' expression, not a warm, loving smile. To me, a smirk is actually worse than a giggle (see above).

Smirk along with thebullet

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dececious
aw why so down on smirk? In the right situation (maybe like a playful BDSM situation ( which I've used it in)) it can be useful.
My theory is any word has its place, if its used in the RIGHT place. For example, some people find 'dirty' words to be a quick and immediate button press (shall we say) others prefer their erotica to have some class and innuendo so they can let their imagination run free.
Its all subjective, I'm pretty sure that you could find a case for any of these words that are disliked under the right circumstances.

D

I have to agree with you, D, even I don't know what your name means. Any word can be used properly and effectively, even "smirk". I have never used the word because most of my stories are about people making mutually pleasurable love but it would fit allright in a BDSM story. It would also fit in a non-consent/reluctant story where the person in charge smirks at the reluctant one because he or she knows the other has no choice but to do as told. If I write a story like that, I will probably have one person smirking at the other.

I am puzzled, though. Since I would probably be characterizing one person as being a rotter, how it would ruin that characterization for that person to smirk? It seems to me that smirking would enhance the characterization.:cool:

Last edited:
am puzzled, though. Since I would probably be characterizing one person as being a rotter, how it would ruin that characterization for that person to smirk? It seems to me that smirking would enhance the characterization.

Smirk is often used in romantic or erotic stories to mean just a smile, even a loving smile. That's how it ruins charactarization. In a BDSM or non-consent story, smirk away.

Ah come on Smirk is just like any other word when it is used out of context it is just wrong to be used. It certainly hasn't anything to do with the category.

I could meet the nicest woman, and when I realize just how close the reality of having sex is upon me. I could easily smirk, especially if I was gesturing the grin/smile/smirk toward an oposing by stander.

It is a smile of self gratification. Granted it also refers to a smile of mockery/ fake smile to sugest the opposite of being happy, or sarcasm.

How about guffaw? Is it possible to write an erotic story where someone guffaws?

---dr.M.

minsue said:
Thanks 'Dita! So far I've been called a guru goosey and the goosiest guru. Not having the greatest day so I appreciate it. :D

- Mindy, highly amused

Congrats on your guruness Mindy! :rose:

CM (who crashed into guruness without anyone noticing)

CrimsonMaiden said:
Congrats on your guruness Mindy! :rose:

CM (who crashed into guruness without anyone noticing)

The 640th post is the one that matters.

dr_mabeuse said:
How about guffaw? Is it possible to write an erotic story where someone guffaws?

"Wake up, sleepyhead," Lord Ravensomething said with a chuckle.

Bambi snorted softly, then sat up and stretched. Ravensomething's buisquets tightened as he admired the way her enormous boobies giggled.

Beneath the sheer gusset of her thong, Bambi's poontang was as soft and moist as wet cotton balls.

Lord Ravensomething fingered her twat, and Bambi tittered prettily.

"Before we pole my raft again, your Lordship, may I ask that we use a condom this time?"

"No, lil one. I will not risk God's wrath by wasting my seed."

"No fellatio, then?"

"That's different."

Bambi tossed back her head and let out the saucy guffaw that Ravensomething had come to love. Her titties bounced so delightfully when she laughed. He could scarcely wait to plunge his maleness into her lil fotch.

minsue said:
Yes. Yes it does.

Now my wife knows I'm mental, although she's suspected for some while. I larfed and larfed and larfed. The only thing that would have made me larf louder or longer is if you'd added "as well you know."

Smirking. Ask ADK about use of the word smirking and he'll explain that it can actually be very sensuous and erotic when used in the right context. But then, he's a Geordie and that's how he pronounces smoking.

A sign forbidding cigarettes in a comedy club in Newcastle signalled its eventual closure.

Gauche

Lingam" and "Yoni". Beautiful, slippery words, two Indian cobras entwined.

"Schmuck" and "Putz": Loud, crude, funny and messy, like all good Jewish sex.

"Cock" and "Cunt": Explosive consonants, short and violent.

Aw, but Joe, how the fuck/feck/fook/feauk do you* pronounce them?

Perdita

*royal 'you' for Brits, presumably divided by north, south, Riders, etc.

I explained to my Mancunian mate that if he wnated to sound like a Londoner, he should change his "u"'s to "a"'s.

So when he said "you facking cant", he sounded like a facking savvener.

By the way, my East End Jewish family say (and spell) them "schmock" and "potz".

That's a bit like when an american says "mom" it sounds that same as when and english person says "mum".

My favorite accent is Yorkshire. I love it when a lass says "Oo fancies cooming oopstairs fer a feoowk".

Last edited:
dr_mabeuse said:

---dr.M.

Ha, he he, Now that is good for a chuckle!

The master glared amicably at the two bound females, filling them with fear by the roar of his voice, and then with a guffaw left them.

Ok, but I will give you one "mirth" I read it in context in a poem from Edgar Allen Poe 'Poems of manhood'

Sub Joe said:
"Oo fancies cooming oopstairs fer a feoowk".
Muchas gracias, Jose. You probably don't know that I collect words and phrases for tee-shirt fronts. This will be a great one. But if I ever visit Yorkshire I shall leave it home.

Perdita

How can there be words that don't belong?

People chuckle. Even at my age get several women together and have something suitably funny occur and a fit of the giggles will break out.

I don't see that we as writers should limit ourselves to what vocabulary we use. Certainly if there are less overused words they should be used, but sometimes a gigggle is exactly what a character does.

Of course I am the Lit Maverik. I tell don't show, Use the wrong POV, over adjective, give boob descriptions with bra cup size and pretty much break all the other rules of good taste and good writing, but it works for me :)

-Colly

I agree with Colleen. Sometimes a character giggle, chuckle, smirk and so on. Just because the actions are not raising the bar (yes, literally speaking) of the reader doesn't mean that they are justified.

Not every single action or every single character is there to increase the sex level. I am writing my first Lit story right now. It involves an old man who chuckles, a giggling kid, and just for the heck of it, I'll include a snotty, smirking yuppie or something. :) Those characters are not erotic at all, and have nothing to do with the sex. But they are there to make for a better overall story.

*off to create a smirker*
#Liar

I admit it. I have giggled during sex. I have done so more times than I can count and I am sure I will again. Sexy? Probably not. Fun? Hell yes! :p

- Min

minsue said:
I admit it. I have giggled during sex. I have done so more times than I can count and I am sure I will again. Sexy? Probably not. Fun? Hell yes! :p

- Min

eew you gigled during sex? That is like breaking the major rules, How dare you have fun during sex! This is serious shit here people.

I am not sure but I think that is punishable by burning at the stake!

Where is the King of Lit land when you need him?

I used "smirk" in the very first story I submitted here, "Carnival," but I think the context was appropriate.

Min, the new goosey is a dear. I love to laugh during sex, and the men seem to like it. It's the best kind of laugh to me. I probably giggle too but it's a very mature giggle. I do not take sex seriously.

Perdita

Laughter at the wrong time has "broken the spell". That's usually when I'm nervous and paranoid about the quality of my performance, and she giggles and says
"Sorry, it's not you..."

Sub Joe said:
Laughter at the wrong time has "broken the spell".
Aye, pobrecito. My laughter is always timely and always taken the right way. It's an art.

Perdita

:) As I threatened earlier and on another thread, I just submitted a story where "Wake up, Sleepyhead" appears twice. I don't know when it will post but the name is "The Happiest Woman; it is just over 3,000 words and is nothing at all like my usual story.:heart:

:) Edited to add that it also includes giggling but not chuckling or smirking. :heart:

Last edited:
Sub Joe said:
Laughter at the wrong time has "broken the spell". That's usually when I'm nervous and paranoid about the quality of my performance, and she giggles and says
"Sorry, it's not you..."

Yea yea, that is all well and good. As long as the uncontrolable giggle does not lead to an unexpected flatus-relieving.

Back