Words

Re: Re: Words

Lauren.Hynde said:
Well, as most of you know, I'm 100% Portuguese, never even been in an English speaking country for more than five days, so this happens to me on a daily basis. I've got hundreds of English words I dwell about. I must say that most of the words referred here I didn't have to look up. Even if I never had heard them in English, they were close enough to the equivalent Portuguese word (ubiquitous / ubíquo, coalesce / coalizar, concomitant / concomitante, ...).

On the other hand, words that you all know are a cherished everyday surprise to me. So I'll just give you a list of words I like for whatever reason, and if anyone needs any explanation, just ask, or use that link Senna Jawa provided.

LOL words

Bamboozle
Flibbertigibbet
Hoity-toity
Helluva (it is so a word, it's in Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary)
Hullabaloo
Hubbub
Hurly-burly

looking sideways words
(you know the kind, to me they sound like "restaurantski" would sound if I told you it was Russian for "restaurant")

Amalgamation
Credulous
Disequilibrium
Detritus
Egregious
Extrinsic
Fastidious
Ignoble
Impecunious
Juxtapose
Loquacious
Lugubrious
Meretricious (and just about any other word ending with -ious)
Pergola
Placate
Suave

words I just like to say out loud
Bowdlerize
Chopstick (I know, it's stupid. I like to say "fork" too)
Circa
Fascia
Flamboyant
Fusillade (cue to shamelessly promote Under a Fusillade of Popping Kernel)
Galore
Halcyon
Histrionic
Kernel (vide shameless promotion above)
Nonchalance

I also like the word Chimaera, but karmadog might want to talk about that one, I'm not getting near it with a 10 foot pole ever again. ;)
Your grasp of the English language amazes me.

Hi everyone,

I'm not a poet...but I like words.

Lauren and I had this conversation the other day...what a F***ed language English is. Especially, the grammatical rules and such.

This kind of (kinda) stuck in my mind...so I'm giving back to Lauren these words...

Oxymoron (sounds like I'm cursing someone)
Synonym
Antonym

Z

OT said:

LOL, makes me think of the old Batman TV series:

"cataclysmic chaos, Batman. Conundrum is stuck in Eve's head.
To the bat poles...."

(if you're not an old Batman fan, then nevermind)

o.t.
That's funny, OT! I can hear Robin saying that now. lol

I had to use word   serendipity   in one of my poems regardless of what it means, and I did, and regardless.

Regards,

Senna Jawa said:
I had to use word   serendipity   in one of my poems regardless of what it means, and I did, and regardless.

Regards,
And of course Serendipity Point Films produced my favorite film ever "eXistenZ" that features quite a number of interesting words:

Schizophrenia
Stumble
Undecipherable
Feasible
Grotesque
Façade
Hypoallergenic

sp

smithpeter said:
Hi. What floor? 47? ok.
Could be a long lift.
Ahh, is that you making that purring noise?
Lady? Are you ok?
Do you need the Heimlich?
What? Frottage? Demonstrate please, when you get your breath back.

oooooh smithpeter! Do I need my hind.. wait......HEIMLICH.....hehe...oops! Sorry, misread that.

hootchy kootchy (like the way it makes my face feel to say it)
hoozie (oh wait, that's not in my dictionary but should be)

and the only word in the English language with 3 "y"s....

SYZYGY..**** to say and makes people think you're smart when you use it. It's so Sagan-ish.

sp....I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't mastered the art of programming a damn VCR!

Now put your arms around me and squeeze! :p

Kat~ :rose:

heighten

Although this is not a sexy word like salacious or elevator or while, I love the thoughts it evokes in me.

I always feel reverent when I taste it's flavor on my tongue, feel as if I have been uplifted by grace.

It also has an active quality to it that evokes images of the activities that earn grace.

Sweetwood

SYZYGY

I used syzygy in a poem once. - I just can't remember where I hid it! :)

Regards, Rybka

my favorite word today is unfathomable (too strange or dificult to be understood)

What is the frigging meaning of "syzygy", people? Trying to learn here...

Syzygy

Syzygy most commonly is an astronomical term referring to certain conjunctions of planets or the sun and moon. The new moon and the full moon are examples of this. The word also has meaning in zoology. It basically means a pair of things, especially opposites. Derivation is from the Greek for together and yoke. :)

I can't find that stupid poem! All I can remember are the lines. . .

And then. . .
As the grunion run
The pale ogre dotes
on symbiotes
and lysised in love are two.

Regards, Rybka

yeah, what Rybka said.....

The best I could have given you off the top of my head, Lauren, was that a syzygy is a certain line up of 3 astronomical objects.

Rybka, you rock girl.....

Cool word, huh?

Kat~:rose:

here's a cool word. It's not english, but I'd love to see anyone fitting it into a poem:

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

This is a Maori word and translates into English as "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one." It's the name of a village in New Zealand, I think...

Last edited:
Re: Syzygy

Rybka said:
Syzygy most commonly is an astronomical term referring to certain conjunctions of planets or the sun and moon. The new moon and the full moon are examples of this.
In new moon and full moon there isn't an alignment. Otherwise we'd have a couple of moon eclipses every month...

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

And how might one pronounce that?

In an attempt to do so, I choked, got my esophagus in a knot, swallowed my tongue and had to be rescued from certain death.

And it is really a name. Now, as set out above those are words too, but........

Sweetword

:p

Avatar : good looking couples on couches with breast hanging out

Sweetwife

:D A shameless plug for Sweetwood

RE: Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

hmm

All I know is that wh should be pronounced almost in the same manner as an f *shrug*

Syzygy

I said "conjunction" not alignment. :)

Webster reads: 1. In astronomy, either of two opposite points in the orbit of a planet or satellite, especially the moon, where it is in opposition to or conjunction with the sun; also, the points in the orbit of the moon when it is new and when it is full: the line joining these two points is called the line of syzygies.

Regards, Rybka

Re: Syzygy

Rybka said:
I said "conjunction" not alignment. :)

Webster reads: 1. In astronomy, either of two opposite points in the orbit of a planet or satellite, especially the moon, where it is in opposition to or conjunction with the sun; also, the points in the orbit of the moon when it is new and when it is full: the line joining these two points is called the line of syzygies.

Regards, Rybka
Sorry

Webster should know more than that rhymezone.com ;)

And Sweetwife, now that you mention it, I don't know if avatar means the same thing in english, but in portuguese:

avatar n. transformation; metamorphosis (from Sanskrit avatára, "descent", through French avatar, "metamorphosis")

So I guess avatar is a pretty good word too

I love you guys!

What great words!

Frottage will always be special to me, because of the girl with the J. Lo ass. She knows who she is.

Lauren, I love to say "fork", too. There is a song on the "Natural Born Killers" soundtrack called "Forkboy". I have taken to that as well as an insult.

Speaking of which, I love the word "insult". To me, it sounds like a medical condition. Mr. Dog, I'm afraid you have a bad insult that requires surgery.

Zircon said:

Oxymoron (sounds like I'm cursing someone)
Because it sounds like a decorated moron, a moron who reminds U of an ox :). I enjoy using this word in discussions. A thread which would collect oxymorons would make us laugh, each new entry would make our day.

Synonym
Antonym

Z
Now we must have: homonym acronym and homophone too, and, to summarize this activity,   thesaurus. Now we must have homophobia, I mean the word, and not what it represents, its pathetic, pitiful meaning. Oh, I lke verb "differ". Why? because it is used less often than the derived words different and difference.

diabolical   is a pleasing (sympathetic) word.

Regards,

Here's an interesting one.

Cliche. I heard that George Orwell described a cliche as a dead metaphor. Beautiful.

The same source says that "cliche" and "stereotype" originally meant the same thing. Both refer to set, metal type. Kind of cool that the word "cliche" is also a dead metaphor, isn't it?

karmadog said:
Here's an interesting one.

Cliche. I heard that George Orwell described a cliche as a dead metaphor. Beautiful.

The same source says that "cliche" and "stereotype" originally meant the same thing. Both refer to set, metal type. Kind of cool that the word "cliche" is also a dead metaphor, isn't it?
Please, everybody who cares, provide either your own definition of "dead metaphor" or quote sources. I just arrived at one and now I feel that I TRULY know what dead metaphor is. What a feeling! :)

Regards,

The words "kaleidoscope" and "calliope" have a whimsical sound to them.

"Homo Erectus" sounds very naughty.

I don't like catastrophes, but I like the word. Catastrophic, chaotic cataclysm.

Back