Words

serious phobias

Stupigenophobia is the fear of sex with a stupid person where there is a chance of impregnation that may result in passing on stupid genes.
Stupigenophobia is also known as dumbassogenophobia.
And buttugliogenophobia is a similar phobia, but in this case the phobic individual is terrified that the potential offspring may inherit the dreaded butt ugly gene.
These phobias generally surface in bar and night club environments when the sufferer of the phobia is intoxicated and/or desperate. Unfortunately, in most cases, the phobias are overcome.

cockigami: the Japanese art of folding the penis into a larger appearing shape in an effort to attract sexual partners.

WickedEve said:
cockigami: the Japanese art of folding the penis into a larger appearing shape in an effort to attract sexual partners.
Kokigami, Eve.

If we're going to make up new japanese art forms, we should at least conform them to japanese standard spelling. ;)

Cockigami

Wicked Eve Pronounced:

cockigami: the Japanese art of folding the penis into a larger appearing shape in an effort to attract sexual partners

Ha Ha Eve, I just pissed my pants!

Especially since you need the prevalent automindfuck for that. This is a entirely male psychic phenomenon, which occurs in at least 95% of the male population. It stems from too much measuring at a too early age in the company of others.

As you can see from the above men have to fuck themselves to achieve the art of cockigami.

Wonderful word. I will write a poem about that with your permisssion.

Sweetwood

:p

Re: Cockigami

Sweetwood said:
Wicked Eve Pronounced:

Ha Ha Eve, I just pissed my pants!

Especially since you need the prevalent automindfuck for that. This is a entirely male psychic phenomenon, which occurs in at least 95% of the male population. It stems from too much measuring at a too early age in the company of others.

As you can see from the above men have to fuck themselves to achieve the art of cockigami.

Wonderful word. I will write a poem about that with your permisssion.

Sweetwood

:p
I can't wait to see your poem! But you may want to use Lauren's spelling "Kokigami." lol

an epiphany
is when Karmadog says something
that makes my head unscrew
and it falls off to the right.
Fortunately I am right handed in day.
Left handedness leaves me in the dark.
Fortunately again, the surface I live on
is trampoline like.
Bouncy, bouncy.
Bouncy like.

Yeah SP. I come in handy on April 16th. The IRS screws 'em, I unscrew 'em.

Re: Kokigami

I tried it and ended up with something like one of those balloon hats. Anyone wanna try it on?

Shit! Tried again and got a giraffe with a short neck.

But there's one long leg!

Oblivion

Yeah, I have some favorite words. One of them is "oblivion," which crops up in my poetry from time to time. I am not one to stand in the way of onrushing oblivion.

The most famous instance of the word in fiction or literature is toward the end of Rocky Horror. During Riff Raff's big moment, when he turns the tables on Frankenfurter, he says "Say goodbye to all this-- and say hello to oblivion." At which the audience chimes in: "Hello, oblivion!"

I just submitted a poem. I intended to call it Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis but those bastards didn't let me. Too many characters. :mad:

neologisms

Occasionally I introduce my neologism to my poems (or other writings). I've mentioned earlier "streetful". The following one occurs right in the title:

rollange

Regards,

agogic - n. - A musical term introduced in the Nineteenth Century referring to those deviations from the usual meter played in order to perform the phrase correctly. In more modern parlance, it's become known as meter against meter.

I was thinking of using this idea in a rhyme scheme within a poem to play with it's structure. The idea would be to have rhymes that occur regularly and other rhymes that occur not in the same meter, but in another recognisable meter.

For example in a twelve-line ballad, you might have this normal rhyme scheme:

(1) -------------
(2) -------------A
(3) -------------
(4) -------------A

(5) -------------
(6) -------------B
(7) -------------
(8) -------------B

(9) -------------
(10) -------------C
(11) -------------
(12) -------------C

But then introduce another rhyme, elsewhere in the structure:

(1) -------------
(2) -------------A
(3) -------------B''
(4) -------------A

(5) -------------
(6) -------------B
(7) -------------
(8) -------------B

(9) -------------B''
(10) -------------B'
(11) -------------
(12) -------------B'

Symbolically, it means "going against the flow" to me. An idea that I embrace. I think this illustrates that idea well.

This is my first attempt at thinking about it. I may want to get enough lines involved to avoid noticing the 2nd rhyming pattern this much. Perhaps stanzas of an odd numbered variation...

Have any of the well-read poets head of such a thing in poetry before? Agogic Poetry?

;)
- Judo

not exactly

I am a neo-poet as you all know, but I actually started playing music when I was four. "Agogic" refers to something a little different to what you're referring to. Most poets already do agogic poetry. Every time you deviate from an established rhythm, you have created a moment of agogy. Changing your rhyme schme, wouldn't be the same thing, but go for it. I'm sure there is a word for that, too, but I am too ignorant to know it. Perhaps daughter or Senna might know.

Isn't that an iteresting word though. "Agonal" means of or connected with death pangs. An "agon" could be an athletic or literary competition in Ancient Greece. "Agone" means "past". And "agonic" means forming no angle.

Words make me crazy.

Kdog, I am a neo-poet as well, but started studying music when I was eight. Is your definition kept broad then - any deviation from an established meter being "agogic?" If so, then I think that the first part of the definition fits that thinking, although it was originally applied to very rhythmic "flourish" embellishments of melodies in the 18th century analysis of European performance practice.

The definition listed above comes from the Harvard Dictionary of Music and is a more classical music oriented definition. The latter part of the definition comes from Modern Music Analysis, where you break down the works into their smallest and finest pieces in order to find the intent of the composer.

Agogic also occurs in a lot of music besides classical, certainly all kinds of rock, jazz and modern country music.

What I'm looking to do is try a meter against meter along with idea against idea to see if I can create something that conveys a depth of meaning.

;)
- Judo

JUDO said:
Kdog, I am a neo-poet as well
You r both bright, fluorescent poets but r you really neo-poets? I am asking because this thread is about words. To me you'd be "neo-poets" if there were no poets for a century and then the two of you showed up and resembled the poets of the past (while perhaps not quite). Something like this. Compare with neoclassic, neo-romantic etc.

Regards,

neokenning me,

moonglasses

I have a (s)light propensity for creating & spreading neologisms (and, KD, never mind my typos and errors :)). I used my moonglasses in several poems. And that's how I named antologies on RedFrog, moonglasses and ksiezycowe okulary (but RedFrog is gone :(). Needless to say moonglasses r my metaphor for poetry and poetic vision. A couple of other poets used them in their poems too but mostly in a connection with me rather than more regularly. Feel free to use moonglasses in your poetry (in a regular way! :)).

Regards,

Senna Jawa said:
You r both bright, fluorescent poets but r you really neo-poets? Compare with neoclassic, neo-romantic etc.

Lol. Ha! You got me there, SJ. No, apparently not a neo-poet (possibly a neo-geo poet? Just to assimilate another artisitic endeavor).

I'm sure you know we both meant new to poetry, poets with little practice, non-experienced, non-published practitioners of pernicious parlance.

;)
- Judo

True, I was using the term "neo" colloquially, not by a strict def. I definitely meant that I was new to poetry.

JUDO, I had a brain fart and didn't fully take in your post. I missed that you were going to use a different meter in conjunction with a different rhyme scheme. That is an interesting idea. With regards to the music question, I was thinking more of jazz than classical. I've been away from music (performance) and theory for a long time now, so I don't remember if I ever heard it with regards to classical. For that matter, my teacher may have been using the term incorrectly. I apologize for bringing it up.

I'm not to sure about being a fluorescent poet. Brittle and filled with gas?

The word I like today is "malapropism". It means the ludicrous misuse of words, often because of a similarity in sound. Yogi Berra and George W. Bush are masters of this discipline.

karmadog said:
True, I was using the term "neo" colloquially, not by a strict def. I definitely meant that I was new to poetry.

I'm not to sure about being a fluorescent poet. Brittle and filled with gas?

The word I like today is "malapropism". It means the ludicrous misuse of words, often because of a similarity in sound. Yogi Berra and George W. Bush are masters of this discipline.
Yes, I used "fluorescent" in the spirit of malapropism. I played a prestidigitator (hey, that's a word for for U)! trying to distract U and misguide U with word neon, which was supposed to serve as a bridging association between "neo" and "fluorescent". (One day, when I write an inspired ode to Karmadog, I will NOT use adjective fluorescent :)).

Regards,

Well, SJ, "neon" seems to be a very good word when referring to new poets: fragile, filled with inert gas, balanced, explosive, colorful, glowing, bent, glazed, forged, and electrically driven by a transformer.

I rather like being "neon." A "neonite" as it were. Sounds like a horror movie "The Night of the Neonites" in full technicolor.

;)
- Judo

Neon Is A Noble Gas

I recognize the nobility of my fellow posters, but refrain from commenting on their potential gaseous nature because I fear the potential eructations or verbal flatulence! :D

I rather like being "neon." A "neonite" as it were.[/QUOTE}

"Neon-nite/night" sounds like a potential poem, or at least a popular song title.

Regards, Rybka

Today, my favorite word is "melanoma". In a way, I hate the word, but it has a beautiful sound, like it's some sort of Italian food. I'll have the pasta melanoma, please. Sounds delicious doesn't it? Fortunately, mine was benign, but tasty.

bump!

con·cu·pis·cence
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Late Latin concupiscentia, from Latin concupiscent-, concupiscens, present participle of concupiscere to desire ardently, from com- + cupere to desire
Date: 14th century
: strong desire; especially : sexual desire
Originally from my upcoming debut story "Plastic Love"
The street, right outside his hotel, carefully picked for its response to all the selected criteria, was a bona fide passerelle of mundane mannequins. Muscled coppery coloured bodies, strolling, conscious of the concupiscence they provoked. The reigning disposition was that of an annoying faux-naiveté, but this artificial beauty pleased Paul.
Kick-ass word! ;)

Back