Words

Well, doesn't it stand to reason that anyone with the avatar "karmadog" would always be leading us down the dharmic path? Otherwise, the poor boy might never get his just reward. Karmadog with no Tasty Treats or without a big ol' Milkbone...well, it's just too sad.

My word for the day. And such a good word it is.

dharmic -adv. - of or pertaining to the proper conduct governed by cosmic order or law, including the natural and moral principles that apply to all beings and things.

color words

I have previously stated that I am fond of long and unusual words. [Has anyone read MRS. BYRNE'S DICTIONARY of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words ?]

However, I have most recently been r/s+oundly criticized for my essentially harmless predilection by someone I respect. :(

So, I also admit to an extreme fondness for "color words". I hesitate to say "words of color".

An example of this penchant may be seen in my just submitted poem Sundower , which may post tomorrow. - Does anyone else share my affinity for hue and saturation?

Regards, Rybka

Some great words

Bring-a-Dictionary Words
synecdoche (substitution of a part for the whole--ex. "All hands on deck.")
supercilious (haughty & indifferent)
hubris (excessive self-confidence)
cicatrix (new tissue that grows over a wound, before it becomes scar tissue)
galvanize (stimulate, especially with electricity)
proclivity (tendency or affinity)
deviance (distance from or absence of the commonly accepted)
bellicose (eager to argue or fight)
akimbo (it's actually a specific position: standing with hand on hip, elbow out)
omniscience (absolute consciousness and understanding)
quixotic (romantic but impractical, like Don Quixote)

everyday words
slippery
wicked
flamboyant
quizzical
sarcasm
credence
dulcet
embody
flagrant
chivalry
gibberish

These are a few of my favorite things

Lugubrious

It means sad. I have loved this word for years. You can stretch it out into a whine. How are you feeling today? I feel luguuuuuubrious.

Copacetic

What can I say? I love jazz, and this is such a jazz word. Supposedly it was coined by the late great Honey Coles, Harlem tap dancer extraordinnaire. I think it's one of those multipurpose words, whose meaning can go anywhere from "good" to "I'm down with that." It just sounds so cool.

Murmur

It has a few meanings, but the one I love is "a soft or gentle utterance." (Thank you Meriam-Webster.) Just a sweet, sexy word.

"I find it interesting that while many things might be ubiquitous, the word it self is not."

Karmadog, I am still laughing every time I read the above line I quote from your post. Great observation! Life is so ironic sometimes.

This is fun! Great idea for a thread.

Last edited:
Puerile--hey wait a minute! I resemble that.

My word for today is "weasel".

I love this word. It even sounds sneaky. That is what makes it such a good insult. Politicians are weasels because they are always sneaking into the henhouse.

You can call your penis your weasel, as well. Especially if it has to sneak up on the kittys.

karmadog said:
Puerile--hey wait a minute! I resemble that.

My word for today is "weasel".

I love this word. It even sounds sneaky. That is what makes it such a good insult. Politicians are weasels because they are always sneaking into the henhouse.

You can call your penis your weasel, as well. Especially if it has to sneak up on the kittys.
And still you're avoiding the whole chimaera issue... hehehe ;)

ok, my word today is perverse... It is just so much more wicked than wicked...

Obloquy and oblique

Obloquy: man oh man, never heard this before but it sounds funky: If you call someone a "bitch" or "dickweed" you have uttered an obloquy.

oblique: I love this word. It is "shady character" as an adjective, or as we would say in german "aftercuntish" in its worst form. It screams hidden agenda to me.

In it's more positive form it is the game we play when we are trying to persuade the one yearned for but simply don't have the guts to come right out and say it.

Sweetwood
:p

Here is another of my favorite words: misled.

I know, it seems like a boring choice, but the "misled" I know, is not your everyday "misled". Let me splain:

When I was a young reader, I was voracious. I started reading well over my head very quickly and I bothered my teachers and parents constantly by asking them what words meant. Going to the dictionary was just too time consuming. Who wants to be taken away from their story? So they explained the concept of figuring out what a word means by the context it is used in.

Anyhow, the first time I came across the word "misled", I thought it was the past tense of the verb "misle". Pronounced "my-zl". Meaning something like to trick, or, of course, mislead.

I'm going to misle that girl into giving me a blowjob.

I thought you might like that as an example of a word doing exactly its meaning.

Don't laugh at me too hard. It was a long, long, long time ago.

Big Butted Women!

Anyone for steatopygous ?

:D

Regards, Rybka

Where did you come across that one Rybka. That was pretty funny. I had no idea there was a medical name. Most folks I know call it ghetto booty.

k-dog

Gotta go. My chimera is eating my garbage can.

My Daddy Liked Hot-N-Trot Women

I heard that one at my daddy's knee. He liked words and loved puns. - He was the kind of guy who would give my mother and my aunt a quarter each for working in his flower garden; just so he could call them two-bit hoers. :)

Regards, Rybka

in•os•cu•late - vt - 1. to join together by openings at the ends, to intertwine 2.to join, blend or unite intimately.

Keeping my breath even, I steadily inosculated Sally and I with ny newly purchased toy.

Mmmmm...I love building my vocabulary. (Note to self: call Sally)

maybe I'm selfish

Just a brief note before I dodder off to watch the hockey game.

I started this thread with a slightly selfish notion. I've been thinking about how words never mean JUST their dictionary definitions. They also mean a host of other things. They might have a personal history with us. They sometimes evoke other words because they sound similar or are often associated. These other things are, of course, called connotations (I think).

What I was really hoping to find out was whether words carry the same, ro similar, connotations for others as they do for me.
I'm finding that while sometimes they do, other times they don't.

"Steatopygous" had none (other than sounding sort of like a dinosaur of some kind--bootysaurus, ha ha) until Rybka told us how the word came to him. Now, should I ever hear it again, I will picture a youngster reading with his father.

Strange how a word can pick up connotations for the reader, isn't it?

Go Wings!!!

sounding sort of like a dinosaur

K-Dog,
Are you aware that they have discovered homosexual and lesbian dinosaurs, and that they have even given them Latin names?

Regards, Rybka

Gay Dinos?

Well, I'd heard of the famous Masturdon, of course, I mean, they'er pretty common. Right? But I'd never heard about the Velesbiraptor or the Helonursadon before today.

Well, Actually Judo. . .

They are know as "Megasauras", and "Licalotapus". :p :D

Just kidding! Rybka

Who's Got the Keys?

Words for the day:

seneschal and chatelaine

Regards, Rybka

I wrote a few poems earlier in the year. They are each 1 stanza with 5 lines. There are a certain number of syllables in each line: 2 4 6 8 2
I can't remember what this is called.
Anyway, while looking that up, I came across phantasmagoria:
1. an exhibition or display of optical effects and illusions.
2. a constantly shifting complex succession of things seen or imagined
3. a bizarre or fantastic combination, collection, or assemblage

The answer I was looking for is Cinquain. I couldn't seem to remember that.

Anyway, there's another word. Cinquain :)

I thought tonight I'd bring you a selection of completely made up words I've been collecting. You're not likely to find them in any dictionary, but that doesn't mean they're not real words, right?

bambification is the mental conversion of flesh-and-blood living creatures into cartoon characters possessing bourgeois Judeo-Christian attitudes and morals.

101-ism is the tendency to pick apart, often in minute detail, all aspects of life using half-understood pop psychology as a tool and pass it for poetry.

metaphasia is an inability to perceive metaphors.

I've got a few more, but can't remember where I put them. Anyone else what to give this a try?

Love 'em Lauren!

I thought "bambification" was the process by which alcohol turns perfectly normal, intelligent women into goofy bar hos.

Re: Love 'em Lauren!

karmadog said:
I thought "bambification" was the process by which alcohol turns perfectly normal, intelligent women into goofy bar hos.
I think you're talking about bimbofication, karma.

New words

quean = prostitute The Merriam Webster Dictonary.

My God what would her Majesty Quean Elizabeth of Canada say.

God save the Quean.

Also, not one person has commented on the word aftercuntish yet:

oblique: I love this word. It is "shady character" as an adjective, or as we would say in german "aftercuntish" in its worst form. It screams hidden agenda to me.

It is bavarian, very ancient and entirely driven by it's beer swilling male patriarchal society whose motto is:

"God preserve my thirst and the working ability of my Sweetwife"

(Sorry, my mysogynist, male chauvinist chamber in my heart just opened from a gust of wind. It's already closed again)

Sweetpig
:p

Someone's ass is grass

Sweetwood wrote:

"God preserve my thirst and the working ability of my Sweetwife"

Sweetwood's gonna be "Sticky in the dark" tonight.

Sweetwife:p

Back