Claymore and Dagger (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You don't ever have to thank me for loving you." She murmured as he pulled her into his arms.

She pulled the blanket around him as well, resting her head against his shoulder with a sigh.
 
Sam pressed a kiss to her forehead before laying his own head down. He seemed at least content to remain at her side. He didn't seem concerned with wandering or sneaking off.
 
Fiona rested a little easier knowing that Sam wasn't about to go anywhere without her knowing it. She slept a while longer until the sun was starting to rise outside. She was up with it, fixing them both a hearty breakfast. She offered Sam a mug of tea as the eggs and bacon cooked, hoping that he felt a little stronger in the light of day.
 
Sam was no less dour that morning, though he seemed a little more responsive, to the point that he even went out to chop firewood for Fiona while she made breakfast. When he came back in, it was with a letter. Some messenger from the keep had found out where he'd gone, and delivered it.
 
"Who sent you a letter?" Fiona asked, turning from the stove to watch Sam as he reentered with a letter in his hands. "And do you want some bread? I see that Kayla has been keeping Will stocked since I've been gone."
 
Sam didn't seem to hear her, deadly focused on the letter in his hand as he stopped on the edge of the kitchen. A red ribbon marked with the banner of England hung from the letter, and it had s royal seal stamped in wax. Any personal hardships we're shoved aside as Samuel Ghis became the general of Inverness again. "... They lost th'southern half o' Normandy," he finally muttered.
 
Fiona turned to look at him as he mentioned that Normandy had been lost. She didn't really know what that meant in the scheme of things, but if Sam were that upset, it was bad news.

"Do I need to get Invah?" Fiona asked softly.
 
"We need all th'riders t'come t'the keep." Sam folded the letter. "Kate an' Da will already know. We need t'help spread th'word an' get everyone ready. If Normandy is fallin' apart, we need t'have th'channel defended as soon as possible."
 
"Come and eat before we go. It wouldn't do for us to starve before any plans were made." Fiona said, dishing up the food before she made Sam sit at the table with her.
 
Sam hesitated to put his work on hold. If he were on his own, he might've picked something up from a vendor and eaten on his way or waited til he was writing and discussing reports. But with Fiona and how much he'd worried her, he made himself slow down.

Once they tucked into the meal, he murmured, "Seeing as I'm still not confident riding on my own, I'd like fer us to take Invah and Gaiann together to Edinburgh on Kate and Kell's behalf t'deliver their orders an' discuss defenses. On th'way maybe we can work on some maneuvers an' I can teach you some weapon work in turn." Fiona's training had been all about flight and defense thus far. While Sam was a master of weapons and could figure out how to fight from any mount. From dragon back, it would be ranged weapons and polearms, both of which he excelled in almost as much as the claymore thanks to hunting and tournament training.
 
"I will do whatever we need to do, Sam." Fiona said softly as they are their breakfast together as quickly as possible. "But only with the promise that when this is done, you will go and meet with Suara."
 
"I promise," Sam sighed, nodding and bowing his head. When he met her eyes, he grew serious again. "... We'll talk to Kell before we go... but y'need t'be ready fer anythin'. While there aren't armies 'r scouts here anymore, there'll be spies an' assassins tha' may not 'ave encountered Kell's people yet. An' if they find out th' Invernessian general 'r a Scotland-aligned Rider are there, we migh' have some trouble. Kell keeps th'castle practically untouchable, but outside it, we migh' be at risk."
 
"I told you that I was with you through thick and thin. A little danger isn't going to make me run away, Sam." Fiona insisted as he tried to show her how dangerous the situation really was.
 
"I know you are, love. But it's no' a little. It could be life-threatening. We can' brush things off an' while it takes risks, I don' want you takin' unnecessary risks." Sam wanted her to understand just what they were dealing with.
 
"Samuel, you have to have a little faith." Fiona said softly as he tried his hardest to impress upon her the immense danger. "I was trained by some of the best. I might not be the best with weapons but I can outfly nearly anyone. I'll be alright."
 
"I'm not worried about when you're with Invah. I'm worried about when we're on th'ground. No intelligent rogue is goin' t'engage you openly an' honorably. Yer more likely t'get a poisoned dagger in the ribs in th'middle of a crowd."
 
"And if I did they would have to face the fury of Scotland." Fiona said, looking Sam in the eyes. "We're in this together, right?"
 
Sam pushed aside the dishes to take her hand. "We are. Even if we both end up pitted against th'whole Empire. We'll be fightin' back t'back."
 
Fiona chuckled as Sam promised that they would always be together. "You stubborn, sweet man." She said as she leaned in and kissed him.

"Finish up the dishes. It seems I have to go out on my armor."
 
"I'll have to do the same when we get t'the keep." Sam kissed her one last time before cleaning things up. He went out to catch a passing patrol, getting the men to lend him one of their horses so they could get to the keep quickly.
 
Fiona soon realized just why Sam had taken such an interest in her full armor. He had made her look fearsome in spite of her size. The leather had beautiful scale work done on it and the helmet that she would wear was in the same shape of a dragon's sleek head. Standing in front of the mirror as the straightened the shoulders, she was slightly in awe. He has given her something practical and beautiful.
 
Sam stepped into her room, pausing as he saw her in full armor. "It should absorb a lot o' shock an' keep most wounds from bein' too serious. I'd like fer you t'wear at least th' chest piece most o' the time in Edinburgh, just in case."
 
"You made me look like a dragon." Fiona said, turning to look at him as she finished pinning her blonde hair around the crown of her head.
 
"It was part o' the blueprints fer the armor. Dmitri wrote down tha' it was traditional fer Riders. An' if you ask Ezra an' Danica, their proper battle armor is similar. I suppose it's a pride thing." Sam leaned in to kiss her before turning to look around her room. "We'll go light. Bring clothes an' essentials. If we need anythin' else, we can get it along th'way or in Edinburgh. Bring a gown if y'like fer court meetings. But one o' these days I'll 'ave Justin make you a proper uniform if y'like."
 
"I knew you'd make me into a soldier one of these days." Fiona teased him as she packed as light as she could, a dress, another pair of trousers and shirt, her grooming kit, and her mother's blanket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top