GeeBee Tech Support thread - pose questions, get answers

I employed the ad block extension and so far it's blocked 1278 ads. Watching porn is much more enjoyable now.
 
If anyone is shopping for an SSD, check this one out. Just picked it up to be the primary drive for the desktop.

Pros: Price (insanely low), 5-year PNY warranty, has lately been shipping with enterprise-grade 10,000 P/E eMLC instead of the 3K MLC listed on spec sheet (trust me, this is freakin' awesome!)

Cons: Can't return for a refund (only replacement); vanilla SandForce drive


From the reviews, it looks like the lowest it's been on Newegg is ~$100. At $114, I won't dicker over the $14 difference. Also the lowest price I've seen ever for a 240GB. Industry norm warranty is 3 years; you get 5-year warranties on Intel and other high-end drives, but you'll also pay for the privilege. Drive scores well on read/write consistency and reliability. Burst mode is a little sub-industry norms, so it's not something I'd add to a gaming rig. At the same time, I've read that there is no lag from gamers who are using it. Every other performance metric is inline with SandForice SSDs.

Conclusion: Freakin' amazing price for a 240GB drive that is SandForce-powered. Performance won't blow you out of the water (SandForce never does), but for consistency of performance and reliability, combined with 5-year warranty, the price makes it a no-brainer.
 
Last edited:
My laptop...

..is driving me insane, it keeps dropping off (for want of a more techno expression) the web. I get it back onto my wireless connection...type in a web address..and hey presto IE doesn't work because it is no longer connected to the web.

I have 2 other laptops that are OK and the desktop I am working on now - fine also, naturally, all using the same ISP.

The laptop has a bug up its arse - right?
 
Nooooooooo!

Samsung EVO drive from Amazon. $170 list now, but every couple of days they have it for $150. Warranties through PNY are terrible, and you're still luck of the draw as to what controller you get on your drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388262863&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+evo+840+250gb&tag=hardfocom-20


You're Indie, yes?


PNY's XLR8 Pro series uses SandForce 2281 controller exclusively. eMLC is sourced through IMFT (Intel/Micro jv and the sole source of all NAND for Intel's drives).

So, you're basically getting premium MLC (enterprise grade) at a massive discount, paired with a decent to not great controller. For about $0.48/GB.

I've put an 120 EVO into the laptop, but here I was willing to pay a premium for the lightweight design (not that I did as I got it as a gift). The desktop won't rarely - if ever - operate under the high loads that the 840 can push out; it's overkill for my needs. I hope to have an ultrabook soon, so the drive will be transferred.

If it was a gaming rig or some other rig for intense applications, then, yes, the extra $50-60 bucks is a no-brainer. But I'm in the enthusiast camp, so it's not worth the extra cash.
 
Back
Top