GeeBee Tech Support thread - pose questions, get answers

They say they're into Jesus, but that's a lie, isn't it?

Fucking liars.

Mormons... liars...
 
Or, if you haven't got a windoze repair disc, d/l Ubuntu to a disc on another machine, boot from that, partition, d/l win 7 from TPB
 
I got a Windows server 2003 box I'm password locked out of. Don't really wanna wipe it. Any ideas?

I've got a cd that I use, can't for the life of me remember the name. I could send a copy when I go back in.

This machine is not encrypted is it?
 

Or, if you haven't got a windoze repair disc, d/l Ubuntu to a disc on another machine, boot from that, partition, d/l win 7 from TPB

What version of OS?


Here's the skinny:

3 y/o Dell laptop that started with Vista and was later upgraded to Win7. The user brought it to me because she could no longer boot it up. HDD was partitioned into C: and D: (Recovery) drives.

She fiddled with it, but could not get Vista/Win7 to re-install on the C drive. Kept getting some unsupported volume error. In a moment of brilliance she reformatted C and then deleted D and then reformatted the whole thing. Unfortunately, she tried to re-install Vista/Win7, she got the same unsupported volume error message.

I attempted a repair using the Win7 disk, but to no avail. I think perhaps that the BIOS is still pointed at the wrong partition with which to boot, but since there's no partition left on the HDD, I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Boot with the cd into the repair options.

Go forward till you get the option to use cmd prompt

Put this in

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Though it sounds like there's more going on with that drive.
 
Here's the skinny:

3 y/o Dell laptop that started with Vista and was later upgraded to Win7. The user brought it to me because she could no longer boot it up. HDD was partitioned into C: and D: (Recovery) drives.

She fiddled with it, but could not get Vista/Win7 to re-install on the C drive. Kept getting some unsupported volume error. In a moment of brilliance she reformatted C and then deleted D and then reformatted the whole thing. Unfortunately, she tried to re-install Vista/Win7, she got the same unsupported volume error message.

I attempted a repair using the Win7 disk, but to no avail. I think perhaps that the BIOS is still pointed at the wrong partition with which to boot, but since there's no partition left on the HDD, I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Any help would be appreciated.

My first thought is that the HD is fucked. If you can't do a clean install then it's a hardware problem.
 
My first thought is that the HD is fucked. If you can't do a clean install then it's a hardware problem.

Try booting into Ubuntu, btw. Linux will run on two sticks wired together with a bit of string.
 
Iman, if the mbr isn't screwed, get into the cmd prompt and change it to C: then type in chkdsk /r.
 
#1: turn your computer off, then turn it on again.

And I make minimum wage for dispensing this advice.
 
Boot with the cd into the repair options.

Go forward till you get the option to use cmd prompt

Put this in

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Though it sounds like there's more going on with that drive.

My first thought is that the HD is fucked. If you can't do a clean install then it's a hardware problem.

I attempted FixMbr, but to no avail. I too think that the HDD is at fault. $100 for a new one. Ugh.
 
Back
Top