GeeBee Tech Support thread - pose questions, get answers

I lost my hard drive, took it to get fixed and they said the clusters are fucked. Can't retrieve any data. Lots of good stuff I need. Any ideas?

Are you getting a "Damaged hard drive clusters detected" message or is the drive itself dead?

If the former, rip it out and plug it into an external enclosure, plug it into another computer and grab what you need off the damaged one. When done, put it back in the original computer and run the chkdsk program (assuming Windows OS) and see if it can repair any of the bad sectors.

If the latter....stick it in an external enclosure and try that route anyway.



Talk to LTR. She does that kind of stuff day in day out.


Do this first.
 
Are you getting a "Damaged hard drive clusters detected" message or is the drive itself dead?

If the former, rip it out and plug it into an external enclosure, plug it into another computer and grab what you need off the damaged one. When done, put it back in the original computer and run the chkdsk program (assuming Windows OS) and see if it can repair any of the bad sectors.

If the latter....stick it in an external enclosure and try that route anyway.






Do this first.

iDude, it doesn't boot. Gives me some weird code at the dos screen.

Sean, will do. I'm picking it up tomorrow and will twat her the exact error message.
 
The more I help people with their Windows 8/8.1 issues, the more I come to appreciate just how shitty it is as an OS.

Coincidentally, my fondness for Win7 grows.

Think I'm just going to wait till Win9.

I love win 8. I hate win 8.1. But I have to work on them anyways.

Talk to LTR. She does that kind of stuff day in day out.

Are you pimping me out now?
 
attachment.php
 
Yep. And I know my way around a 'puter.
I doubt it happened without warning, you just may have not been monitoring for warnings.
Start using HD S.M.A.R.T technology by getting smartmontools
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki
You can have it email you warnings if you want.

Occasionally they can fail completely without warning, but usually they'll throw PFA alerts to give you warning.

If the drive will spin up, DFSee is a pretty good recovery tool. I started using it years ago with OS/2. http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/index.php
 
Calibre.

And if you want one for Android, Aldiko.

Works for me. Thanks.


I love the kindle app.

Hmm...I already have that on my phone. Wonder if the Chrome store has a kindle app for the desktop....


I doubt it happened without warning, you just may have not been monitoring for warnings.
Start using HD S.M.A.R.T technology by getting smartmontools
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki
You can have it email you warnings if you want.

Occasionally they can fail completely without warning, but usually they'll throw PFA alerts to give you warning.

If the drive will spin up, DFSee is a pretty good recovery tool. I started using it years ago with OS/2. http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/index.php


That was my thinking as well. Usually you get some text popping up each time you turn on the computer/reboot that gives you a warning (of sorts). Don't recall exactly what it says, but *knocks on wood* that's likely a good thing.
 
Can anyone explain to me the difference between google talk, google hangout and gmail chat? It might just be a marketing thing, but I find it very confusing.

Also, why is there no 'file transfer' functionality in gmail chat?
 
I doubt it happened without warning, you just may have not been monitoring for warnings.
Start using HD S.M.A.R.T technology by getting smartmontools
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki
You can have it email you warnings if you want.

Occasionally they can fail completely without warning, but usually they'll throw PFA alerts to give you warning.

If the drive will spin up, DFSee is a pretty good recovery tool. I started using it years ago with OS/2. http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/index.php

Well, I hadn't looked at the box in months and the little guy learned his to play games on out so maybe the warnings were there. It does spin but doesn't get past a weird dos error. So would thatprogrambe worth a shot?
 
Well, I hadn't looked at the box in months and the little guy learned his to play games on out so maybe the warnings were there. It does spin but doesn't get past a weird dos error. So would thatprogrambe worth a shot?

If it spins up, stick it into an external enclosure and plug that into another computer to grab what you need. I'd do this first as DFSee is not a beginner's tool and you might mess things up more than they already are, thereby making what's there irretrievable.
 
Can anyone explain to me the difference between google talk, google hangout and gmail chat? It might just be a marketing thing, but I find it very confusing.

Also, why is there no 'file transfer' functionality in gmail chat?

google wants gmailchat, gvoice and gtalk to grow into hangout eventually. hangout is like "talk" only with multiple contact engaging, lack of online status, and compatibility with iso users. and you'll also notice on gplaystore that gtalk is no longer available. gmail chat is a plugin integrated to your gmail via web browsers that allows chat, im, video to friends on your list - whilst gtalk was a standalone messaging app download. aren't you capable of file sharing on hangout? since gmail chat runs on gmail why can't you just send a fudging email attachment once there? Wtf. dude, just update your gtalk to hangout and whilst at it update from your htc g1 already.
 
Last edited:
Well, I hadn't looked at the box in months
That's the nice thing about Smartmontools, you can set it up to email you warnings.

If it spins up, stick it into an external enclosure and plug that into another computer to grab what you need. I'd do this first as DFSee is not a beginner's tool and you might mess things up more than they already are, thereby making what's there irretrievable.
This ^

DFsee is quite powerful, as indicated by the warnings on their web site. If, as a last resort, you decide to use it, play with it on a drive that you don't mind completely hosing up.
You can use DFSee to dump a drive's contents to another drive, which is what I've done, never making any actual changes to the bad drive.
 
Last edited:
That's the nice thing about Smartmontools, you can set it up to email you warnings.

This ^

DFsee is quite powerful, as indicated by the warnings on their web site. If, as a last resort, you decide to use it, play with it on a drive that you don't mind completely hosing up.
You can use DFSee to dump a drive's contents to another drive, which is what I've done, never making any actual changes to the bad drive.


I take it that you're in IT?
 
After loading a couple of CDs into iTunes on my old MacBook, I got some weird vertical black lines on the display and the next thing I know, about one third of the songs (around 3000) as well as playlists are gone. There's now a new file in the iTunes folder called "iTunes Library (Damaged)"

Anyone know how to recover the music and put it back where it belongs? Or do you think it literally disappeared? Thanks for any help.
 
google wants gmailchat, gvoice and gtalk to grow into hangout eventually. hangout is like "talk" only with multiple contact engaging, lack of online status, and compatibility with iso users. and you'll also notice on gplaystore that gtalk is no longer available. gmail chat is a plugin integrated to your gmail via web browsers that allows chat, im, video to friends on your list - whilst gtalk was a standalone messaging app download. aren't you capable of file sharing on hangout? since gmail chat runs on gmail why can't you just send a fudging email attachment once there? Wtf. dude, just update your gtalk to hangout and whilst at it update from your htc g1 already.

This is for my laptop and not my phone.
 
Back
Top