GeeBee Tech Support thread - pose questions, get answers


It's not the "router" part that needs the processor (needs are minimal, even with VPN and QoS active it won't grab more than 15% of the processor), it's the wired/wi-fi access. The processor speeds up distribution of "large-pipe" stuff like video and games, preventing the dreaded "lag time".
 
Okay, I've got 3 lightly used but very old Dell servers here that need to be refreshed.

One proposal I have here says to replace all three with a Dell R720 virtualized server. It has one caveat: since one server does a shit-ton (technical term, sorry) of ad hoc reporting, the proposal suggested loading up the new server with a shit-ton of memory (128 Gb).

Anyone know a good place to get up to speed quickly on hypervisors and virtualization?
 
Last night's daily Microsoft Security Essentials displayed the following file-path to me this morning as an item that should be sent to them for additional analysis.

Anyone run into this before?

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\File System\003\t\00

The file in question is as displayed below.

attachment.php


Add/Remove Programs confirms that I did not install anything on the 25th. I would note that for the last few days I've been getting a 'Chrome Notification' icon in my system tray. It looks like a greyed-out bell.

I'm currently running malwarebytes and will run Spybot thereafter. In the meantime, any and all feedback is welcomed.
 

Attachments

  • File.jpg
    File.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Avast decided to install plugins all by itself.

Did you turn off notifications about plug ins within chrome?

Also,make sure you have no browsers opened while scanning or you ought to not bother.
 
Avast decided to install plugins all by itself.

Did you turn off notifications about plug ins within chrome?

Also,make sure you have no browsers opened while scanning or you ought to not bother.

To tell you the truth, I don't ever recall turning ON notifications in chrome. It was suddenly in my systray.

How does one turn off notifications about plug-ins in chrome?

Re no browsers open while scanning: got it. I did not know that.
 
To tell you the truth, I don't ever recall turning ON notifications in chrome. It was suddenly in my systray.

How does one turn off notifications about plug-ins in chrome?

Re no browsers open while scanning: got it. I did not know that.

La la la laaaaa...

Hi Iman! :kiss:
 
If you do not care for the new googlemaps format (how dare they take away the 'Search Nearby' feature?!?!?!??!?!!!), do the following:

1) start a new googlemaps session;

2) click on the '?' icon on the bottom right-hand side of the page;

3) Select 'Return to Classic Google Maps'


You're done.


....at least until Google make the new format the default one, which means no one will ever be able to find a pharmacy next to their bank ever again.

Dumbasses.
 
To tell you the truth, I don't ever recall turning ON notifications in chrome. It was suddenly in my systray.

How does one turn off notifications about plug-ins in chrome?

Re no browsers open while scanning: got it. I did not know that.


Here's the offending fucker now. Just popped up.

attachment.php
 
Follow-up: Mt. Gox bitcoin exchange files for bankruptcy


Two items of interest to note from the article. If nothing else, it highlights humanity's penchant for seeing the world through tulip-coloured glasses:

It remains unclear if the missing bitcoins were stolen, voided by technological flaws or both.

"It is undeniable," she [Yang Weizhou, analyst at Mizuho Securities Co. in Tokyo] said. "One must separate the Mt. Gox problem from the overall concept."




This....despite not knowing what happened....


Further Bitcoin news...though this might very well be coincidental to all the negative news out there of late....at least, I hope it is coincidental:


Head of Bitcoin Exchange Found Dead in Singapore
 
Fluffy Bunny broke his machine last night.

Some geek, he is.

I saw that there were 2 bitcoin places that were stolen from, but how does one steal bitcoins?
 


Boycott Goggle.

It's evil.



​


No.



Fluffy Bunny broke his machine last night.

Some geek, he is.

I saw that there were 2 bitcoin places that were stolen from, but how does one steal bitcoins?


Some months ago I read an article that explained how it was gone via the hashtags that are uniquely associated with individual bitcoins. Can't say I remember where I read it, but suffice it to say that it's feasible. The greater challenge is to launder them as once the stolen bitcoins' hashtag is identified, every exchange can be on the lookout for anyone who attempts to register them with any other exchange.
 
If you do not care for the new googlemaps format (how dare they take away the 'Search Nearby' feature?!?!?!??!?!!!), do the following:

1) start a new googlemaps session;

2) click on the '?' icon on the bottom right-hand side of the page;

3) Select 'Return to Classic Google Maps'


You're done.


....at least until Google make the new format the default one, which means no one will ever be able to find a pharmacy next to their bank ever again.

Dumbasses.
Ummm....I still have the "search nearby" option.
 
Back
Top