🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 10: A song that makes a statement

Man, I love this prompt. I'm a big fan of good protest and statement music, and there are a lot of examples across eras. I almost posted a different Pearl Jam song, but @Cjbdd took one of the very good options.

CCR was absolutely on fire in '69 (no, I wasn't there to see it, I'm not that old, ya' jerks). This was from the THIRD record they put out that year. And it's just an easy, biting indictment of LBJ and Nixon, who absolutely fucking deserved it.

Hannah Rose Collins, who records as Scene Queen, has two real topics: overt sexuality (think a more explicit Chappell Roan vibe, and let that marinate for a minute), or pointing out the hypocrisy, misogyny, and outright crimes within the music industry, and society in general. With a title like 18+, you would probably think it is the first. It is not. Musicians using their position to have sex with underage girls is not a new problem, nor is it limited to just The Scene subculture. It has been a part of rock, rap, blues...hell, Elvis was well known for it. But with changes in the culture, how we have grown as a society, #metoo, and everything else, it is supposed to be better. Bands, claiming to be enlightened now, are supposed to be better. We are supposed to be better, better at pointing it out, at not tolerating it, at holding people accountable.

We are not better.

Collins knows of what she speaks. She was a Scene kid. And that is what hurts.

"Headline spot goes to the abuser
Half my idols are fucking losers"

"Pink wristbands on the guest list
Bras hanging on the bus
Yeah, you get a lot of girls
But not one is eighteen plus"

Pink wristbands go to underage fans, to verify they don't get served alcohol. Bras have been a trophy on band buses for years. This has been an open secret, justified by "well, they know what they are getting into." No, they are children.

Scene Queen knew the vitriol she was going to face for this. There have been so many to push off her points by saying she is capitalizing on a tragedy without facing the fact that she is talking about a tragedy. (As to "capitalizing" on it, the proceeds from the single and merch go to RAINN, the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, a non-profit aiding sex abuse victims.) She eviscerates bands for this, without naming a one. There is a point in the song where what sounds all too much like a standard press conference trying to do damage control. In both the song recording and the video, the announcer says the band "blank blank blank," which is then beeped out. Per Collins, four bands have threatened legal action because they say she used their names. She also points out the arguments of the enablers.

"Slap on the wrist, no one gives a shit
It is what it is
it is what it is"

Musically, it is a combination of pop vocals and grindcore. And it an anthem, and could almost sound like a parody. But there is a point near the end of the song where she screams. We are supposed to be better. But that scream feels real.

"18+," Scene Queen

Women of the lower classes in Italy were the ones who weeded the rice paddies. It was miserable work made worse by the cruel padroni. Bella Ciao dates back those workers in the 19th century. So much changes, so much doesn't.

In the morning as soon as I get up
oh goodbye beautiful, goodbye beautiful, goodbye beautiful, bye, bye, bye
In the morning as soon as I get up
I have to go to the paddy fields.

And between insects and mosquitoes
and between insects and mosquitoes
I have to work hard.

The boss is standing with his cane
the boss is standing with his cane
and we work with our backs curved.

Oh my goodness, what torment
oh my goodness, what torment
Every day I beseech you.

And every hour that we pass here
and every hour that we pass here
we lose our youth.

But the day will come when all of us
but the day will come when all of us
will work in freedom.

The lyrics were reworked in the 1940s by the anti-fascist resistance. The partigiano version is definitely worth a listen.

Bella Ciao - Giovanna Daffini

When we tell them we need to move forward,
all they ask us is "Left or Right!?"
The Colours are at war and our future shifts to Grey.
Though their props are different shades,
the Reds and the Blues are dancing to the same tune.

Kapten Röd - Färgernas Krig (the War of Colours)
The war is not fought between the people in power; it's a front. No, their target is us. The people.
It doesn't matter whoever's in power in Sweden, they're all fucking over the working class.
We used to pride ourselves on our Folkhemmet, the People's Home, our term for a well established social security system, but it's being demolished brick by brick, stone by stone, legislation by legislation.

Hannah Rose Collins, who records as Scene Queen, has two real topics: overt sexuality (think a more explicit Chappell Roan vibe, and let that marinate for a minute), or pointing out the hypocrisy, misogyny, and outright crimes within the music industry, and society in general. With a title like 18+, you would probably think it is the first. It is not. Musicians using their position to have sex with underage girls is not a new problem, nor is it limited to just The Scene subculture. It has been a part of rock, rap, blues...hell, Elvis was well known for it. But with changes in the culture, how we have grown as a society, #metoo, and everything else, it is supposed to be better. Bands, claiming to be enlightened now, are supposed to be better. We are supposed to be better, better at pointing it out, at not tolerating it, at holding people accountable.

We are not better.

Collins knows of what she speaks. She was a Scene kid. And that is what hurts.

"Headline spot goes to the abuser
Half my idols are fucking losers"

"Pink wristbands on the guest list
Bras hanging on the bus
Yeah, you get a lot of girls
But not one is eighteen plus"

Pink wristbands go to underage fans, to verify they don't get served alcohol. Bras have been a trophy on band buses for years. This has been an open secret, justified by "well, they know what they are getting into." No, they are children.

Scene Queen knew the vitriol she was going to face for this. There have been so many to push off her points by saying she is capitalizing on a tragedy without facing the fact that she is talking about a tragedy. (As to "capitalizing" on it, the proceeds from the single and merch go to RAINN, the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, a non-profit aiding sex abuse victims.) She eviscerates bands for this, without naming a one. There is a point in the song where what sounds all too much like a standard press conference trying to do damage control. In both the song recording and the video, the announcer says the band "blank blank blank," which is then beeped out. Per Collins, four bands have threatened legal action because they say she used their names. She also points out the arguments of the enablers.

"Slap on the wrist, no one gives a shit
It is what it is
it is what it is"

Musically, it is a combination of pop vocals and grindcore. And it an anthem, and could almost sound like a parody. But there is a point near the end of the song where she screams. We are supposed to be better. But that scream feels real.

"18+," Scene Queen

It’s very subtle. You may not pick up on it at first.

Three new discoveries and rabbit holes I can fall down today 😍 Thanks, guys 🤗

Three new discoveries and rabbit holes I can fall down today 😍 Thanks, guys 🤗
Yaaayyy!! Welcome to the wonderful world of Swedish reggae!! 💕 💕
Just because of that I'll use my Second Song, which I won last month, to promote another one by the Captain!

Day 10 - Song that makes a Statement (part deux!)

This one's hard to translate, but it's about police violence and their constant oppression of the working class.

"Blåljus och Siren har bli'tt ett blågult problem"
"Blue Lights and Sirens have become a blue-yellow problem" 🇸🇪

This has also become my #1 favorite song to rap after @morelikeasong got me to start rapping 😂

Kapten Röd - In Kommer Ting

Just because of that I'll use my Second Song, which I won last month, to promote another one by the Captain!

This one's hard to translate, but it's about police violence and their constant oppression of the working class.

This has also become my #1 favorite song to rap after @morelikeasong got me to start rapping 😂

Another fabulous song 😍 Sounds like it has a really important message too. I'm naive so I didn't even realize that was an issue in Sweden 😔

Another fabulous song 😍 Sounds like it has a really important message too. I'm naive so I didn't even realize that was an issue in Sweden 😔
Yayy! I hope you fall deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole, Alice 💕

I wouldn't say it's on the level of north america, not even close, but when compared to other nordic countries it's a damn travesty. Even compared to the rest of Europe, Sweden's pretty awful when it comes to fascistic oppression.

Yayy! I hope you fall deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole, Alice 💕

I wouldn't say it's on the level of north america, not even close, but when compared to other nordic countries it's a damn travesty. Even compared to the rest of Europe, Sweden's pretty awful when it comes to fascistic oppression.
🥰 When I'm done falling, I'll start digging lol.

Ugh. There are shitty people everywhere and I'll be damned if they don't love power 😕

Day 11: A song with angst

You’ll go a long way to find a singer with as much angst as Skin. So much so it’s difficult to choose which song. She sings every one with fierce passion and a deep-seated rage against social injustice, inequality and discrimination perfectly matched with powerful rhythms and raw guitar work.

Weak - Skunk Anansie

I was listening to this and kept thinking I've heard this song before! Duuuuh! You sang it!! 🤩

Day 10 - Song that makes a Statement
I wish somebody would've told me that thighs of thunder
Meant normal human thighs
The fuckin' pressure I was under
To lose my appetite
And fight the cellulite with Hunger Games like every night
~~
I know Victoria's secret
And, girl, you wouldn't believe
She's an old man who lives in Ohio
Making money off of girls like me
Cashin' in on body issues
Sellin' skin and bones with big boobs
I know Victoria's secret
She was made up by a dude

Day 11: A song that is angsty

I don't think there's any band that even comes close to the Smiths when talking about angst.

Morrissey is draped in it, it coats his skin and drips on the floor like tar.
It starts as a puddle around him, but it grows and grows until he's drowning;
his cries for help make the most beautiful music.

The Smiths - Please, please, please, let me get what I want

Day 11: A song with angst

I just love how this melody takes me on an emotional journey. I don't usually pay too much attention to lyrics right away. The music is what grabs me first in a song. This features an instrument I had never heard of before, a charango. I had to look it up because that was what drew me to this song initially. I had to know what that sound was.

There are two other versions of this song, but I went with the original because it is my favorite. Check out the wiki for more info.

I want you to want me
Why don't we rely on chemistry?
Why don't we collide the spaces that divide us?
I want you to want me

Superposition - Young the Giant

Back