a companion to 30 in 30

Now now...I find fanny whacking nothing to laugh about. (More like something interesting to do...esp while mad on Monday.):devil:;)
brit or merrykin speech? only . . . it makes a difference. though maybe not for some. mad on monday - bad weekend? :eek:

brit or merrykin speech? only . . . it makes a difference. though maybe not for some. mad on monday - bad weekend? :eek:

Either one works for me...whether a good old fashioned American spanking, or something potentially more intimate of a British nature...and I was thinking more mad as a mental state rather than emotional. After all, as the saying goes, "We're all mad here." Yes? :cattail:

:cool:

Neo: your 1-5 is powerful. It feels like you spat it out.

It's amazing how whenever something like this happens in America- which is all too often - the press finds a neighbor who says something inane like "he was a nice kid, a little shy". That just means that they didn't know him. People want to say something to the press, so they say that. Or something about the debating club. Not my observation - read the Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker for more about the "un-predictableness of violence" (not). It's well worth a read.

To me the most pathetic thing is that the press uses quotes like that for "news", instead of taking on an ethical role and educating the population - not just catering to it's perverse voyerism of violence obsession. One of the reasons I don't watch or read the so-called "news" anymore.

Thank you Desejo. It was basically spat out when I read the story. It's not news anymore. Real news doesn't sell papers, magazines or keep viewing audiences attention. And says something as well, it's not just the media's fault it's us as well.

Peace to Claire Esther Davis, age 17, I hope you pull through this. :rose:

Either one works for me...whether a good old fashioned American spanking, or something potentially more intimate of a British nature...and I was thinking more mad as a mental state rather than emotional. After all, as the saying goes, "We're all mad here." Yes? :cattail:

:cool:
a spanking's all well and good, but slap the kitty and be prepared to pick your teeth out of your bleeding lips. :halohead:

who's running the asylum? :cool:

Oh, Desejo.

Your poems are like a travelogue of non-National Geographic Africa.

I loved this one, though the drink itself seems to mix some kind of hippie herbal drink with cheap beer, and in a milk carton, fer God's sake.

No way am I slurping up the scud.

I might try one, though. Well shaken. With the right Afrobeat encouragement.

I'd even pee in the street afterwards, if that's the convention.

I haven't been able to post or focus on poetry. I've got a family medical emergency that's taking all of my focus. Please send my mister healing thoughts and I hope to poeticize with you wonderful people soon.

champagne1982, I hope your mister has a swift recovery. :rose:

todski, thank you for your comment! I agree about the machine part, in retrospect I was trying a bit too hard to differentiate seizing the day for fun and to focus on work.

butters, thank you, too. The razor burning / chilling is fine, it's all in the name of giving birth to a butterfly. :) And about Floyd, who isn't a fan? I won't be needing my cigar, though.

I haven't been able to post or focus on poetry. I've got a family medical emergency that's taking all of my focus. Please send my mister healing thoughts and I hope to poeticize with you wonderful people soon.

:heart:'s That's all I can say. Thoughts with you and yours, champy.

Champ, you're all in my prayers for healing and joy. I'll miss you but know you'll come back soon as you can. :heart::kiss::heart:

wishes for strength, endurance, and swift recoveries. :kiss:

Oh, Desejo.

Your poems are like a travelogue of non-National Geographic Africa.

I loved this one, though the drink itself seems to mix some kind of hippie herbal drink with cheap beer, and in a milk carton, fer God's sake.

No way am I slurping up the scud.

I might try one, though. Well shaken. With the right Afrobeat encouragement.

I'd even pee in the street afterwards, if that's the convention.

Thank you.

You did say we could trade exotic cocktails.
It's not herbal. It's a beer made of local grains (sorghum, maize or millet or some combination thereof depending on location).
Rest assured I don't generally serve the stuff chez moi.

Neo, A Gift Tower Falls is so apt. My B-I-L passed from cancer several years ago and I didn't know then, anymore than I do now, about how to celebrate a holiday, or a birthday, or any other wonderful life event with the terminally ill. I think one of the key things anyone who cares should remember is that as long as they're with us, they're celebrating life, too, no matter which stage of mourning we're all in. The thing with cancer is that we know how imminent the inevitable is and we're forced into early mourning while the "dearly departed" is still yet around to witness it. How stressful it all is, especially when everyone is already faced with a stressful time of year.

Right now, my husband is in liver failure and we're struggling to keep him with us. For the past 7 years, our celebration of the season is to give a practical gift and a stocking to our now adult children and each other, then have a fine meal that's made a little special with a seasonal centrepiece and a bit of champagne. There are no decorations to hang, no special baking to do (although I do make a pie for dinner and a batch of chocolate chip cookies as a gift to my hubby) so we endeavour to keep stress away from our holiday that way. It's meant to be a joyous time that focusses on our family and not the commercial things at all. We are a little off kilter this year indeed. The best gift I can think of is to keep him alive until he can receive someone's gift of a healthy liver as a transplant recipient.

I cannot imagine what kind of distress a full on Christmas (such as we had when the kids were young) must carry when a loved one is ill. I now know what my family must have felt when I was diagnosed with my heart defect way back in 2000. My daughter was only 6 at the time and my son actually had come with me (for shopping in Edmonton) on December 23rd, the day I had the echocardiogram. When they asked me to wait to speak with the cardiologist and he announced that I would need a valve replacement, I was stunned and clarified that this would be open-heart surgery. Well, my 13 year old was in tears and I was frightened that day, but we went shopping and 2 days later had Christmas and we had fun despite the seriousness of my health problem! I also have a deeper understanding of the gift I was given that day. My doctors handed me a healthier life and for that I am forever grateful.

Focus on love and support, these are things that carry value far beyond the usual. A phone call, followed with a handwritten note recalling a particular day or even a moment that stands out in your memory of your loved one will be a precious interlude inside his pain and struggle. I wrote my sister's husband a letter in which I answered his request for forgiveness (it was something he felt he had to ask for of everyone while he was making his preparations for death) and I recalled in that note; the day my sister showed me her engagement ring and how happy our family was that he was soon to be a true part of it. It refocused his cancer-struck brain and gave him a smiling memory, if only for a moment, outside of his ever-present pain.

Mimi Foundation, If Only For A Second

So don't be upset that your gift was meant for a healthy man - feel blessed that now you have an opportunity to give him something truly priceless, your love and support. My best thoughts are with you as you struggle, you have my compassion my friend.

Champ let me just say again they you're in my prayers. This must be so difficult for you. I wish I could offer you more than a virtual hug, but you know it's intended with love and heartfelt wishes for better days ahead. :heart:

Champ let me just say again they you're in my prayers. This must be so difficult for you. I wish I could offer you more than a virtual hug, but you know it's intended with love and heartfelt wishes for better days ahead. :heart:

The same from me as well. :heart:

Thank you champy for commenting on my poem, telling me about your experience helped me some. :rose:

As for winter holidays, I could do without them since I didn't have much of them when I was younger. Now, it's just for my 8-yearold (yes, she's 8!) and I want her to have a good experience, which makes it good for me if she is happy.

Although I think everyone is putting out some great poetry for the reopening, I have to confess I'm waiting for Tzara's next drink. He picks a theme and sticks to it. It's probably why he's had so many successful 30 in 30 runs. Anyone remember his Periodic Table of Elements run? That's crazy, man.

Last edited:
Although I think everyone is putting out some great poetry for the reopening, I have to confess I'm waiting for Tzara's next drink. He picks a theme and sticks to it. It's probably why he's had so many successful 30 in 30 runs. Anyone his Periodic Table of Elements run? That's crazy, man.

I was just thinking that when I read today's offering. It's exquisite. :)

todski, 43° celsius? At 26°C life water burns my eyes, and my brain goes into autopilot at 30°C. But 43°C... I cannot even conceive such a furnace. I like how you describe it, this feeling of being drained of energy, of having to fight and struggle to stay sane and endure. It is like the universe decided to punish you, but you keep going, by force of will alone... Those four final lines are great!

Tzara, that 1-6 was short and smooth. The two first pieces described this Fior d'Alpe (I liked the "choice parts of her anatomy / white peaks to climb" part), and the last two left a smile on my face.

butters, there was something sweet and comforting about your 1-6—"laying your head on warm stones smoothed by centuries, to find your centre and face hurricanes that prove no more than dull gusts"...

Tristesse2, your 1-4 was fun to read. It was a barrage of images, each pulling a different way. Nonsense to some, perhaps, but to others, a sweet spot of confusion which may lead to ideas which are new. :)

thanks, tsotha - that was the sense it was meant to convey. as for yours, i've left you my new one as reply. :rose:

todski - i worry about you, boy. :kiss:

remec :D

Nor is it one of the weeds
who live upstairs and pass
themselves off as merely
children on the verge of
not-children,

this is one of the best visuals of those lanky, omnipresent, common-all-garden not-as-pretty-as-the-cultivated but springing up anyway from every nook, cranny and cracks between tarmac and wall youths i've come across. and said in far fewer words!

30x30 redux is killing me seeing and reading the things that you all have written. I'm like a child with a dollar in a candy store looking at all the treats laid out for consumption, wanting all. The sugar rush will probably kill me

It is. If you never been in this region before, it should be on your bucket list. :rose:

It is. Eagleyez and I have talked for years about a prolonged road trip, like a blue highways writing and driving trip. He loves the wheel and I love playing DJ so it could yet happen lol. Maybe when we get all these kids outta college and remember what it's like to afford something again. :D

It is. Eagleyez and I have talked for years about a prolonged road trip, like a blue highways writing and driving trip. He loves the wheel and I love playing DJ so it could yet happen lol. Maybe when we get all these kids outta college and remember what it's like to afford something again. :D

A little something until you can afford to get away, must be right on the edge of Monument valley?

Back