a companion to 30 in 30

How's he doing I read that American sentence about $500 for Kaddish n got concerned

He's doing fine, watching golf on tv with the sound off and noodling around on a guitar. I'd call that fine.

He's also a nice Irish American boy, raised Catholic, an altar boy the whole nine yards. My American Sentence was mainly fiction. :D

But you are sweet to ask. Thanks. :rose:

oh, remec! that's delovely... 'A lingering taste of rainwater on my lips'

That was a fun Rictameter you wrote, Wintermute. I like the way you've twisted the rule for ending with the same line, that RIBBIT! at the end gave me a laugh, and "the sound" is "RIBBIT", so in a sense you kept true to the form... More or less, but who cares, I for one like it. :D

Very cool, Angeline! Brazil is at least as much a melting pot of cultures as the US, so it's difficult even for someone living there to know it. :)

I don't know if you had a specific music in your mind when you wrote your poem, but it made me think of this one. Or perhaps this one.

Very cool, Angeline! Brazil is at least as much a melting pot of cultures as the US, so it's difficult even for someone living there to know it. :)

I don't know if you had a specific music in your mind when you wrote your poem, but it made me think of this one. Or perhaps this one.

Thank you! I'll send you a link tomorrow and maybe you'll recognize the song. I don't even know the name of it, but heard it on a mix tape and fell in love with it. :D

So Tsotha my friend, I was listening to this long mix tape when I wrote the ghazal. I actually love most of it, but it was mainly the first two songs that influenced the poem. I think they are both sambas, right? I also like those two sambas you linked. I was familiar with the first, but not the second. :)

Also it is hard to listen to this music and not just dance lol. I find myself swaying or at least my toes or fingers tapping. Marvelous stuff!

Last edited:
Actually, I don't know much about samba, it's a bigger influence in the southeast and northeast regions' culture. :eek: The south's folk music resembles the Spanish's Flamenco music. In any case... I didn't recognize the first song, but the second I've heard before. I made a quick search for the lyrics and identified them:

The first is called "Cores", and it's actually by a British (!!!) group called "Da Lata". As far as I can tell, it isn't really samba, but it has a lot of influence from different Brazilian styles.

The second song is "Lá vem a baiana", sung by Jussara Silveira. The original composition is by Dorival Caymmi. It sounds like samba to me, but... You know how it is, you're never really sure. :D

There are several styles closely related. The chorinho (sample) is an instrumental style from the 19th century Rio de Janeiro. Traditional samba (sample) evolved at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, perhaps from Chorinho and other influences, but I'm not sure. Bossa Nova is a 50's style that mixes Jazz and Samba. Famous bossa nova songs are "Águas de Março" and "Girl from Ipanema". Finally, there is "MPB" (acronym for Popular Brazilian Music), which begun in 60's, mixing rock, soul, samba and bossa nova (which was leaning heavily toward jazz). Important MPB artists include Chico Buarque (sample), Caetano Veloso (sample) and Geraldo Vandré (sample), amongst others, often with themes against the military dictatorship (1964~1984).

The second song I sent you, in my last message, is actually from the MPB album "Afro-Sambas" by two compositors I have deep respect for: the poet/musician Vinícius de Moraes and the guitarist Baden Powell.

I was a bit ashamed of my lack of knowledge on the subject and decided to do some research. :cool:

Actually, I don't know much about samba, it's a bigger influence in the southeast and northeast regions' culture. :eek: The south's folk music resembles the Spanish's Flamenco music. In any case... I didn't recognize the first song, but the second I've heard before. I made a quick search for the lyrics and identified them:

The first is called "Cores", and it's actually by a British (!!!) group called "Da Lata". As far as I can tell, it isn't really samba, but it has a lot of influence from different Brazilian styles.

The second song is "Lá vem a baiana", sung by Jussara Silveira. The original composition is by Dorival Caymmi. It sounds like samba to me, but... You know how it is, you're never really sure. :D

There are several styles closely related. The chorinho (sample) is an instrumental style from the 19th century Rio de Janeiro. Traditional samba (sample) evolved at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, perhaps from Chorinho and other influences, but I'm not sure. Bossa Nova is a 50's style that mixes Jazz and Samba. Famous bossa nova songs are "Águas de Março" and "Girl from Ipanema". Finally, there is "MPB" (acronym for Popular Brazilian Music), which begun in 60's, mixing rock, soul, samba and bossa nova (which was leaning heavily toward jazz). Important MPB artists include Chico Buarque (sample), Caetano Veloso (sample) and Geraldo Vandré (sample), amongst others, often with themes against the military dictatorship (1964~1984).

The second song I sent you, in my last message, is actually from the MPB album "Afro-Sambas" by two compositors I have deep respect for: the poet/musician Vinícius de Moraes and the guitarist Baden Powell.

I was a bit ashamed of my lack of knowledge on the subject and decided to do some research. :cool:

That's quite a list. I love Agua de Beber, too--it's maybe my favorite bossa nova.

I also really like your poem today, so cool and kind of zen until you get that twist of emotion at the end. :)

That's quite a list. I love Agua de Beber, too--it's maybe my favorite bossa nova.

Sorry for the list, I started reading about it and got a bit carried away. :eek: I hadn't heard this song, Água de Beber, and surprise, surprise... Yet another by Vinícius! :)

Funny thing, "água de beber" has a literal meaning of "water for drinking", or "potable water", but I've heard people use that expression as an euphemism for alcohol (cachaça, beer, and so on; similar to "water birds don't drink", except, perhaps, "water made for humans to drink"?). But it seems "água de beber" is also a term used in Capoeira to express purification, clarity, health and positive energy. Interesting song, "água de beber" gives double meaning to the rest of the lyrics...

I also really like your poem today, so cool and kind of zen until you get that twist of emotion at the end. :)

Thank you. But the best lines (the last two) aren't mine, they are taken directly from A Felicidade. ;)

Tsotha I like your 2-26. You captured the sound of that beautiful song to me. Clifford Brown was a wondrous trumpeter whose career might have rivaled Miles Davis' had Brown not died young in a car accident. One of my recent poems has a line "In a minor mood" in it, which I used cause I was listening to this when I wrote it. :)

Tsotha I like your 2-26. You captured the sound of that beautiful song to me. Clifford Brown was a wondrous trumpeter whose career might have rivaled Miles Davis' had Brown not died young in a car accident. One of my recent poems has a line "In a minor mood" in it, which I used cause I was listening to this when I wrote it. :)

I reached "It Might As Well Be Spring" through your signature link. I've always liked jazz, but I know very little about it. There was an online radio, once, that was really good for discovering music; you could select the style and "mood" you wanted (fast, slow, somber, warm, and so on). I learned of Django Reinhardt that way, and now you've given me two other names to check out — thank you.

Ah, yes — "in a minor mood" is a line from that unpunctuated poem we were discussing in the PM. I wouldn't have imagined this tune in the background, but... Reading the poem and listening to the song you've linked makes it even more psychedelic to me, now, adding to the bouncing clouds and gradients between blue skies and green trees... hahaha. :) Thanks for linking the song, it's great stuff. :rose:

Last edited:
Made it to the end. And without embarrassing myself too badly, too, theme-wise. Well done, me.

I'll select some poems as others finish. Starting with painful_rapture, who's already finished, in a sense.

painful_rapture

1-5b

You wrote several with this one's theme (1-1, 1-2, 1-5, 1-11, perhaps 1-13), and I like them all. However, this one was particularly moving. :rose:

1-3 and 1-3b

These two form a set, I think. I like the twist at the end of 1-3b, though I must question the verisimilitude. ;)

1-8

This one was fun to read. I didn't really understand what you were going on about until the revelation at the last line — so it surprised me, changing the tone of what I had read up until that point.

1-15 and 1-16

You (and Wintermute, too) do really well in these short, sentence-long poems (AS', haiku, and so on). I'm surprised you didn't finish the 30 in 30, to be honest, considering how well you do it. I've been watching the AS thread, there is some really cool stuff there, and these two poems (1-15 and 1-16) are no different. 1-15 is sweet, if I understand correctly you're talking about a photograph, and 1-16 is one of those pill-sized wisdom pieces.

There was another one I liked, but I'll stop here, or this "selection" will grow irrelevant...

Tsotha said:
1-15 is sweet, if I understand correctly you're talking about a photograph

It was actually about a baby blanket :D

Thanks for taking the time to go over them, it's nice to know what other people think. I didn't want to spam up the thread with a bunch of American sentences and whatnot. It didn't feel like I was trying hard enough by writing just one sentence for a whole day's worth of a poem. I'll try it again later, maybe.

Made it to the end. And without embarrassing myself too badly, too, theme-wise. Well done, me.

congrats, tsotha! so busy here i've not really had my poet-head on enough to be reading them. I'll try to catch up soon. right now the boiler man's arrived and doing bangy-clanky things in my kitchen :eek:

congrats, tsotha! so busy here i've not really had my poet-head on enough to be reading them. I'll try to catch up soon. right now the boiler man's arrived and doing bangy-clanky things in my kitchen :eek:

Thank you, butters. Don't worry about reading, it's fine however it goes. To be honest, I'm just glad to be done with this challenge.

Nice work tsotha and congrats on making it through a second 30/30! I shall be back with some comments when my 30 are done and I can have a day where I don't have to write a poem. :cool:

Nice work tsotha and congrats on making it through a second 30/30! I shall be back with some comments when my 30 are done and I can have a day where I don't have to write a poem. :cool:

Thanks, Angeline. Good luck with your remaining poems...

Back