a companion to 30 in 30

That's a strange / funny piece, GM. I liked the original version, and thought it was pretty good. As for your changes:

1) I like that you've expanded the poem. I feel it is of the kind that can use more words, rather than fewer. The "padding" doesn't detract, here — it is part of the timing, in delivering the story.

2) Possible typo in stanza 4: "and wouldn't make it America," — did you mean in America?

3) I thought it was strange that you used quotation marks in stanze 5-8, but not in stanza 4. It also seems to be missing on the first line of the fifth stanza ("Indeed, not to worry", he repeated).

4) Why "Dadist"? "Dung Diddly Dada" seems to fit better (the sound), and I don't see the connection between dadaism and the rest of the poem (maybe I'm missing something, and I have considered that there is more here than cracking a joke at academia, but I can't see it — yet).

5) Why Little Rock? Is it similar to Australia, or are you making a joke with the people who live there? :)

6) I feel you've lost something when you replaced the original third stanza for stanze 4-8 in the edited version, both in the lines there ("Manhattan would soon fall in line"; "the art of post neo formal trogloraptors" — I'm pulling those from memory, which means they stuck with me) and in the tone. The conversational San Francisco piece doesn't carry quite the same punch, perhaps because of interruptions (he said, in that dark stormy night, etc.).

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Tsotha. I wrote this parody after Googling a search for "Modern Poetry Movements" and was not surprised to find something like 16 or 17 of them since the 20th century. Ezra Pound's famous quote "Make it new" apparently was taken to mean the type of poetry, rather than the poem.

About the same time, I read a story about a newly discovered spider by spelunkers in some mountain cave in Oregon, a very rare species. The parody, of course, is how rare modern poetry is, and how it manages to survive in academia.

Your 2) comment is correct. I made the change. Good catch re 3). It should have quotes. I'm anal retentive about good grammatical construction. It's a bit embarrassing when I miss something like that.

I've also changed "Dadist" to "Dadaism" because the former is misspelled, and I'm not sure that Dadaist" is correct. "Gradungulidae" is a rare species of spider found only in Australia. I chose "Little Rock" because, well, it's a "rock" where you might find spiders; it's in middle America and fairly rural; and it might be regarded as unsophisticated by intellectual snobs from San Francisco or New York of which the "scholar" in the poem is one.

I deliberately wrote the 5th stanza poorly. "On a dark and stormy night" is a literary cliché. Given your comments, I may have to re-think that, but I still like the 2nd version's ending lines because of the word play with "theses will fill up campuses," which, I confess, is my favorite line in the poem.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Tsotha. I wrote this parody after Googling a search for "Modern Poetry Movements" and was not surprised to find something like 16 or 17 of them since the 20th century. Ezra Pound's famous quote "Make it new" apparently was taken to mean the type of poetry, rather than the poem.

About the same time, I read a story about a newly discovered spider by spelunkers in some mountain cave in Oregon, a very rare species. The parody, of course, is how rare modern poetry is, and how it manages to survive in academia.

Your 2) comment is correct. I made the change. Good catch re 3). It should have quotes. I'm anal retentive about good grammatical construction. It's a bit embarrassing when I miss something like that.

I've also changed "Dadist" to "Dadaism" because the former is misspelled, and I'm not sure that Dadaist" is correct. "Gradungulidae" is a rare species of spider found only in Australia. I chose "Little Rock" because, well, it's a "rock" where you might find spiders; it's in middle America and fairly rural; and it might be regarded as unsophisticated by intellectual snobs from San Francisco or New York of which the "scholar" in the poem is one.

I deliberately wrote the 5th stanza poorly. "On a dark and stormy night" is a literary cliché. Given your comments, I may have to re-think that, but I still like the 2nd version's ending lines because of the word play with "theses will fill up campuses," which, I confess, is my favorite line in the poem.

Damn it, now I have to go read... :unknownicon:
Liked this clever Wintermute

Last edited:
1-4 edit

The original version was from a "Glosa" challenge. Glosas require compliance with a strict form. I enjoyed doing it, but I always wanted to edit this poem, remove the constraining rules for writing a glosa, keep what I liked in the poem, and see what comes of it.

This may be in need of further editing because some of the language still feels clunky to me.

Last edited:
The original version of "A Night in the Life of St. Lizzie" was intended to be a portrait of a homeless street person with a gentle soul. One of the commenters thought I was deprecating the mentally ill. I didn't agree with her, but the comment made me realize I hadn't done enough to render the stereotype inadequate to describe Lizzie's true character.

I like using stereotypes in a poem to show them as exaggerations that often deprecate the person or group being stereotyped. I think there's always a risk because by describing the stereotype, the poet can re-enforce the very thing he's trying to break down. I suppose that's true with any irony.

The final version's aim is no different than that of the original.

Of course, the reader will be the final judge of that.

I've not been feeling well

but I had to drop by with a little jazz for Wintermute and to say it's great to see Desejo writing in 30/30.

:rose:'s to you both and I hope to be around again before too much longer.

Sorry Angeline, a dose of man-'flu meant I had to bail out of the 30 in 30 prematurely.

Thanks for the Jazz. :)

Thank you Harry...not quite back in 'Merica yet and on terrible internet, but at least Lit is not blocked! Works better on my iPad, so forgive any bizarre formatting.

Thank you Harry...not quite back in 'Merica yet and on terrible internet, but at least Lit is not blocked! Works better on my iPad, so forgive any bizarre formatting.

Keep writing like that and I'd forgive you almost anything!!!

Oh hell. Missed a day. Really not fair - is it my fault that the internet is stuck in 1989 here and/or that the hotel allowed me to keep trying to connect for hours without bothering to tell me the password was changed? I think not.

Oh hell. Missed a day. Really not fair - is it my fault that the internet is stuck in 1989 here and/or that the hotel allowed me to keep trying to connect for hours without bothering to tell me the password was changed? I think not.

don't stop now, need my fix

In case anyone may be interested, "The Ballad of Adrian and Julian" (30 Edits in 30 Days) is based on a true story:

NY Times article
i just read this poem, gm - before and after. your discipline with editing is something i admire. I'm also glad you posted the article - what a fascinating story! I admit that when reading your poem i was drawn to the image of conjoined twins, finding that path through the 'one good eye each' and the sharing of the banana split. In reality they're individuals, but maybe the conjoining was more a spiritual/psychological thing - the ovum may have split but these two 'worked' as part of one unit. The 17 years of enforced separation must have been very difficult for them. Overall, i love what you've done - you bring them to life with those small touches and wrap their story around them through the simplicity of their lives. really really like the final lines. :rose:

i just read this poem, gm - before and after. your discipline with editing is something i admire. I'm also glad you posted the article - what a fascinating story! I admit that when reading your poem i was drawn to the image of conjoined twins, finding that path through the 'one good eye each' and the sharing of the banana split. In reality they're individuals, but maybe the conjoining was more a spiritual/psychological thing - the ovum may have split but these two 'worked' as part of one unit. The 17 years of enforced separation must have been very difficult for them. Overall, i love what you've done - you bring them to life with those small touches and wrap their story around them through the simplicity of their lives. really really like the final lines. :rose:

Thanks. I'm glad you liked the final lines because who they were and how they lived was a direct manifestation of the simplicity in what they believed. I wish I had met them.

harry - the rewrite's not working and you're seeing that yourself. you've changed it up too much and lost what i (and you may have intended to lose it!) read into it as other layers, deeper meaning. it's less than the original as it now stands. perhaps trying to stay closer to that first version? or maybe it's not ready to be polished just yet but needs to breathe a little while. :heart:

harry - the rewrite's not working and you're seeing that yourself. you've changed it up too much and lost what i (and you may have intended to lose it!) read into it as other layers, deeper meaning. it's less than the original as it now stands. perhaps trying to stay closer to that first version? or maybe it's not ready to be polished just yet but needs to breathe a little while. :heart:

I agree with butters, Harry. I think the first stanza was modified too much. It only needed some light trimming; I think even my version of it in the writing live thread might have been too much.

I agree with butters, Harry. I think the first stanza was modified too much. It only needed some light trimming; I think even my version of it in the writing live thread might have been too much.

Oh well was interesting for a short time

Nah still tinkering I think, this editing stuff is new and I keep thinking I'm doing more damage than good :D

read nice for me :) I see no damage sort of like getting rid of all the fiberglass on a Dresser and painting the tank and fenders.

read nice for me :) I see no damage sort of like getting rid of all the fiberglass on a Dresser and painting the tank and fenders.

Nice metaphor, you should try this poetry stuff :D

I didn't know if I should add things or if it's complete was gonna re-visit in a few days and see if its still working, it was based on the first house I brought when I was 20 but I was trying to make it more expansive something similar to the way Desejo's snowblind reads, thanks for the comment HH, it helps.

Back