Being autistic and random stuff

Thanks! That explains it. In Swedish it's 'tack'.
In polish I think tak means this, as in this one (indicating)
I’ve assumed that ta is simply a contraction of thanks. Children often use it when they’re learning to speak too .

Do you think it's possible that a 13 month old child can display autistic traits and characteristics?

Certainly possible, but it is a bit soon. IIRC, kids are often diagnosed around 3 years.
I'm not big on labels so I'm a little loathe to make what could be typical toddler behaviours autistic tendencies. I think I might be seeing things that I'm putting too much stock in but I'm hesitant to discredit what may be autistic traits considering his genetics. My son had a child psychologist brought in to his day care at 3 because he refused to interact with other children, avoided eye contact, didn't communicate beyond yes or no. This was in the late 1990s before high functioning autism was a go to diagnosis.
Yes. Especially with the eye contact, that could be distinguishable so early.
Not so much eye contact more ignoring his name when people want to attract his attention. He flaps his hands, shakes his head rapidly, is fascinated by how things work and prefers analyzing toys and objects before playing with them, dislikes pants and socks. All of which could be typical toddler behaviour for all I know seeing that I've only raised a neurodivergent child.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis from anyone and I hope you didn't find my question offensive, it was not my intent. I'm genuinely curious so I thought who better to ask than neurodivergent people?

I'm not big on labels so I'm a little loathe to make what could be typical toddler behaviours autistic tendencies. I think I might be seeing things that I'm putting too much stock in but I'm hesitant to discredit what may be autistic traits considering his genetics. My son had a child psychologist brought in to his day care at 3 because he refused to interact with other children, avoided eye contact, didn't communicate beyond yes or no. This was in the late 1990s before high functioning autism was a go to diagnosis.

Not so much eye contact more ignoring his name when people want to attract his attention. He flaps his hands, shakes his head rapidly, is fascinated by how things work and prefers analyzing toys and objects before playing with them, dislikes pants and socks. All of which could be typical toddler behaviour for all I know seeing that I've only raised a neurodivergent child.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis from anyone and I hope you didn't find my question offensive, it was not my intent. I'm genuinely curious so I thought who better to ask than neurodivergent people?
No offence taken I’m sure and it sounds as though you have as much insight as anyone. Yes there’s a whole menu of traits that together make a profile of ‘probable’. Child shrinks are pretty good at putting together the jigsaw.
In some ways it may be easier to spot nd girls early before they pick up social skills and so hide their autism better.

No offence taken I’m sure and it sounds as though you have as much insight as anyone. Yes there’s a whole menu of traits that together make a profile of ‘probable’. Child shrinks are pretty good at putting together the jigsaw.
In some ways it may be easier to spot nd girls early before they pick up social skills and so hide their autism better.
My 'favourite girl' is ND, and she hides it quite well... but there are times. Folks who have to work with her often realize there is something different about her, but they cannot put their finger on what it is because she can mask like a champ. At 24 she's had 20 years practice, and she is intelligent anyway, so the smokescreen is good. I think only another Aspie would be able to out her easily.

My 'favourite girl' is ND, and she hides it quite well... but there are times. Folks who have to work with her often realize there is something different about her, but they cannot put their finger on what it is because she can mask like a champ. At 24 she's had 20 years practice, and she is intelligent anyway, so the smokescreen is good. I think only another Aspie would be able to out her easily.
I can recognise an ND straight away.

Also most people don't know what "high-functioning autism" is in practise. They have really weak grounds for recognising autistic people who aren't type Rainman, or who don't have7intellectual disability.

Also most people don't know what "high-functioning autism" is in practise. They have really weak grounds for recognising autistic people who aren't type Rainman, or who don't have7intellectual disability.
I saw an interview of temple grandin who challenged the idea of calling all asd folk autistic and not distinguishing Asperger's. Apart from the historical slur it made sense for the difference because people have different needs . Instead we have ‘high functioning’ which is still divisive

Remember? Yes I remember. I remember the shame of everything, of my childhood, the footprints of my failures that no tide has ever reached. More than waves or perfumes. The shame of not fitting in, of saying a wrong thing, of doing a wrong thing – those are my scars that have never healed. They burn today as they always have – just waiting for a moments reflection for them to return, white hot.

I saw an interview of temple grandin who challenged the idea of calling all asd folk autistic and not distinguishing Asperger's. Apart from the historical slur it made sense for the difference because people have different needs . Instead we have ‘high functioning’ which is still divisive
It actually makes a lot of sense to separate Autism and Aspergers given the differing needs of the two groups, though one should acknowledge that there is an overlap between the two. I cannot help but think that erasing Asperger's as a separate condition was an act of political correctness. The funny thing is that Asperger was a lot more positive about the abilities of ND people than other early researchers into the condition. Unfortunately, the medical establishment seems to have decided that he needs to be cancelled and erased because of his ambiguous record in Wartime Austria. A strange sidelight on the man is that a recent-ish article suggested that Asperger himself displayed Asperger's traits in his youth!

Last edited:
It actually makes a lot of sense to separate Autism and Aspergers given the differing needs of the two groups, though one should acknowledge that there is an overlap between the two. I cannot help but think that erasing Asperger's as a separate condition was an act of political correctness. The funny thing is that Asperger was a lot more positive about the abilities of ND people than other early researchers into the condition. Unfortunately, the medical establishment seems to have decided that he needs to be cancelled and erased because of his ambiguous record in Wartime Austria. A strange sidelight on the man is that a recent-ish article suggested that Asperger himself displayed Asperger's traits in his youth!
It was also suggested he stole the research of a Russian psychologist who visited him before stalin brought down his curtain . The Russian scientist identified all the main characteristics years before he wrote up his work. That alone is reason to drop the name

Remember? Yes I remember. I remember the shame of everything, of my childhood, the footprints of my failures that no tide has ever reached. More than waves or perfumes. The shame of not fitting in, of saying a wrong thing, of doing a wrong thing – those are my scars that have never healed. They burn today as they always have – just waiting for a moments reflection for them to return, white hot.
Did you compose this? :rose:

My son had a grand Mal seizure the other day. Suffered a tbi. Any one else here dealing with seizures? Apparently epilepsy is fairly common amongst ND people?
Eek! I am sorry to hear that.

Yes, epilepsy is more common among ND folks. I am also wondering whether various forms of migraines come our way more often too.

It poetically captures the way that intense feelings can return at a moment's notice.

Thanks
I often wondered where that tendency came from. I'll be wandering along without much going through my mind, and then I will suddenly get hit my a huge wave of emotion that leaves me all but stood there gasping. It subsides fairly quickly, but it is quite distressing when it occurs.

My nephew is autistic. Although we are very close this thread has given me more insight to him and how he has to live his life.

My nephew is autistic. Although we are very close this thread has given me more insight to him and how he has to live his life.
There are many YouTube channels, too, that could be helpful.

A few of my personal favourites:
- Orion, the autistic guy
- Mom on the Spectrum
- Chris and Debby
Although I think these all might have ADHD too, which affects some things.

There are many YouTube channels, too, that could be helpful.

A few of my personal favourites:
- Orion, the autistic guy
- Mom on the Spectrum
- Chris and Debby
Although I think these all might have ADHD too, which affects some things.
Yes, thank you, I am on to that. He is not a child anymore, he is 18. But I worry so much about him. Life is never going to be easy for him.

Eek! I am sorry to hear that.

Yes, epilepsy is more common among ND folks. I am also wondering whether various forms of migraines come our way more often too.
Yes, migraine is on the list.

According to the doctoral dissertation of Marja-Leena Mattila, over 70% of autists have some neuropsychiatric comorbodity, and over 40% have at least two of them. The most common ones are behaviour issues, anxiety disorder, ADHD, sleep issues, tic-symptoms.
Almost as common are Tourette syndrome, epilepsy, depression, OCD, migraine, delayed speech development, bipolar, eating disorders and learning difficulties. (Translated by me, I'm not sure I got all the terms exactly right.)

So... Kind of "how unlucky you get". I can mostly deal with autism and adhd, but heck the sleep issues, they throws havoc on everything.

And that doesn't even count hEDS (and HSD), because they aren't considered neuropsychiatric - I ran across some research that majority of autistic people have at least HSD (hypermobility spectrum disorder) traits, even if not necessarily "enough" to be diagnosed with hEDS.

Back