Challenge: Poet auteur

Just an update: 3 poems now submitted. :D We're getting there! :kiss:

oh thought I had missed something but see my names not on the list to participate anyway
It's an open challenge, UYS, the list only represents those poets who are taking part right now. There is still time ... :devil:

It's an open challenge, UYS, the list only represents those poets who are taking part right now. There is still time ... :devil:

I know it's open now, but I'm going to respectfully bow out because I know some folks feel uncomfortable about not being on the original list, and I don't feel good about that. To me a list of names is always arbitrary because we are all, frankly, only as good as our last poem. In that case, I don't even think I deserve to be on it.

You know I love you dear Charley. I'm just tired and cranky from the move and driving thousands of miles, but I really do think it's important to remember that lists that even suggest the "best" or "real" poets can be well intentioned, but end up hurting feelings.

I'll prolly still write the poem at some point cause I like my idea :)D), and I'll send it to you when I do.

:heart:

I know it's open now, but I'm going to respectfully bow out because I know some folks feel uncomfortable about not being on the original list, and I don't feel good about that. To me a list of names is always arbitrary because we are all, frankly, only as good as our last poem. In that case, I don't even think I deserve to be on it.

You know I love you dear Charley. I'm just tired and cranky from the move and driving thousands of miles, but I really do think it's important to remember that lists that even suggest the "best" or "real" poets can be well intentioned, but end up hurting feelings.

I'll prolly still write the poem at some point cause I like my idea :)D), and I'll send it to you when I do.

I beg to differ that the challenge was exclusionary. Yes, only 10 poets originally, were challenged to write a poem but the other half of the challenge was posed to the entire universe (who happen to read and understand English). We were all supposed to guess who wrote what with the only common thread being the theme.

I can appreciate Charley's thinking that to keep the list of choices limited to a set number would make it easier for everyone else to make an educated guess about who the poet is. Her first list was based on those of us who've been around lit for (omg) nearly a decade :eek:! and submitting poetry, if not to the main archive, at least somewhere on the forum.

It was meant to be fun. I will still try to get a poem out of my numerical mindset... <sigh> It's impossible to be creative ... but I'll try. I'll try.

I beg to differ that the challenge was exclusionary. Yes, only 10 poets originally, were challenged to write a poem but the other half of the challenge was posed to the entire universe (who happen to read and understand English). We were all supposed to guess who wrote what with the only common thread being the theme.

I can appreciate Charley's thinking that to keep the list of choices limited to a set number would make it easier for everyone else to make an educated guess about who the poet is. Her first list was based on those of us who've been around lit for (omg) nearly a decade :eek:! and submitting poetry, if not to the main archive, at least somewhere on the forum.

It was meant to be fun. I will still try to get a poem out of my numerical mindset... <sigh> It's impossible to be creative ... but I'll try. I'll try.

Champ, I don't think it was meant to be either. I think Charley's intentions are (and were) the best. I just feel sensitive to how people perceive these things, and I knew there would be hurt feelings. And there were. I'm not opposed to the challenge or anyone in it. It's just not comfortable for me. And I am really bone weary these days.

Champ, I don't think it was meant to be either. I think Charley's intentions are (and were) the best. I just feel sensitive to how people perceive these things, and I knew there would be hurt feelings. And there were. I'm not opposed to the challenge or anyone in it. It's just not comfortable for me. And I am really bone weary these days.
Rest ... Relax ... I was hoping to explain the dreaded "listy" thing to people.

I really do like being in the infinitely expanding oval and I don't want anyone to feel that any one of us is "better" because someone thought to curse ;) us with a challenge.

Not everyone on the first list has been here that long

Rest ... Relax ... I was hoping to explain the dreaded "listy" thing to people.

I really do like being in the infinitely expanding oval and I don't want anyone to feel that any one of us is "better" because someone thought to curse ;) us with a challenge.

Ha! We are leaving in a bit to drive to Maine! Maine and my own bed! I think I'm laying down on that bed, and not moving a muscle for three days. :)

PS You will find a way to be creative. I have great faith in your ability to do that.

Not everyone on the first list has been here that long
Oh. I guess not. I'm sorry, Annie. I shouldn't be troubled by it but, like Ange, I feel uncomfortable when these lists come out and imply that someone is "better" than someone else. It's not so. I don't think it was meant to be so.

I shouldn't have mentioned the time thing at all since Charley mentioned that the names included some of her personal favourites. I'm flattered to be on it, frankly, but that doesn't mean I'm any more elevated in the world because someone enjoys my writing.

p.s. I haven't been on a lot of lists and hate (usually decline) when I'm asked to make one from people I interact with frequently.

Oh, God, you're PMS'ing, aren't you. :rolleyes:

Lauren is telling you to just write the poem, dammit!

Oh. I guess not. I'm sorry, Annie. I shouldn't be troubled by it but, like Ange, I feel uncomfortable when these lists come out and imply that someone is "better" than someone else. It's not so. I don't think it was meant to be so.

I shouldn't have mentioned the time thing at all since Charley mentioned that the names included some of her personal favourites. I'm flattered to be on it, frankly, but that doesn't mean I'm any more elevated in the world because someone enjoys my writing.

p.s. I haven't been on a lot of lists and hate (usually decline) when I'm asked to make one from people I interact with frequently.
Just so everyone is CLEAR, I wasn't trying to be offensive at all. The original list was based on 4 things: some of my personal faves, some poets I've known for a while and who haven't posted a poem in a long time, some whose poetic voices I am very well familiar with and (due to the nature of the challenge) a need to keep it small. (Believe me, the last AH challenge of this sort that I participated in was so huge and filled with writers, some of whom had one story posted on Lit, and some regular writers who thought it was more beneficial to write against their usual voice, that I barely bothered to guess the authors because it would have taken a year to figure out who actually wrote what).

I saw the error of my original post (thank you, Ang) and corrected it as quickly as I could. What happened to forgiveness? I'm not sure how much more I can apologize for that original post. :confused:

I am absolutely thrilled, as I'm sure others are, that Chippy and Pandora are taking part. Some of those on my original list are not. So what. There are many fabulous poets I've not yet had the pleasure of thoroughly investigating (Chippy and Pandora are two I'm looking forward to reading more of and while not on the original list, they are participating and I'm glad they are).

This is supposed to be fun, but only WE can make it a fun ... or we can complain about my original post for the next few days and do a disservice to the three poets who have already submitted their poems. Let's just write some poetry, folks. The more, the merrier.

The Chelsea is 12 stories tall ... we need a 12th poet! This brings me to why I visited this thread in the first place since this morning... UYS - Number 12?

Last edited:
I know it's open now, but I'm going to respectfully bow out because I know some folks feel uncomfortable about not being on the original list, and I don't feel good about that.

Oh, you're too PC! lol
I'm not bowing out now that I've written the damn thing.
Anyway I haven't read all the responses and maybe this has been mentioned, but the next "10 poet" challenge can exclude the first list and do another group. That way all the poetry kids get a turn.

Oh per-LEASE! It's just a challenge folks!

If your name wasn't originally listed you were invited to guess the poet - so no one was EXcluded. I, for one, am grateful that someone (CH in this case) offered a challenge.

I know, from experience that there's always at least ONE person complaining about SOMEthing in a challenge. Remember all the grouches there were for Lauren's superb year long challenge AND all the terrific poetry it spawned?

Write poetry not winges......

yes.
write poetry

wonderful odd inspiring controversial original ecstatic surprising or serenely beautiful poetry

or do what i did :)

hey, Lauren, where can i familiarise myself with your writing? no way i'm gonna guess which is yours unless i've read some :eek:
The little icon on the left side of my signature links to my submissions' page.

(PS: You will probably want to stay away from most of the stuff from 2002-03 :D)

Last edited:
The little icon on the left side of my signature links to my submissions' page.

(PS: You will probably want to stay away from most of the stuff from 2002-03 :D)

it's not linking me - maybe i've not got something allowed i'm meant to. i can't see the icon without clicking the left link and all that brings up is the icon that won't link me to your page. any chance of your page's url? pls? *cheezy grin ---> :D*

Oh, God, you're PMS'ing, aren't you. :rolleyes:

Lauren is telling you to just write the poem, dammit!

Oh, you're too PC! lol
I'm not bowing out now that I've written the damn thing.
Anyway I haven't read all the responses and maybe this has been mentioned, but the next "10 poet" challenge can exclude the first list and do another group. That way all the poetry kids get a turn.

Oh per-LEASE! It's just a challenge folks!

If your name wasn't originally listed you were invited to guess the poet - so no one was EXcluded. I, for one, am grateful that someone (CH in this case) offered a challenge.

I know, from experience that there's always at least ONE person complaining about SOMEthing in a challenge. Remember all the grouches there were for Lauren's superb year long challenge AND all the terrific poetry it spawned?

Write poetry not winges......

yes.
write poetry

wonderful odd inspiring controversial original ecstatic surprising or serenely beautiful poetry

or do what i did :)

I'm coming out of my semi-retirement to do this, so you better be in it, Ange. :mad:

Please all ignore me. I just drove 2584 miles over 14 days, which doesn't sound like it should be half as tiring as it seemed while I was doing it.

But I do wish everyone who wants to write should write. And anyone who doesn't want to write should uh write something else. And that is about as deep as I am capable of being at the moment. I feel fried. :eek:

Please all ignore me. I just drove 2584 miles over 14 days, which doesn't sound like it should be half as tiring as it seemed while I was doing it.

But I do wish everyone who wants to write should write. And anyone who doesn't want to write should uh write something else. And that is about as deep as I am capable of being at the moment. I feel fried. :eek:

:rose:

i'm sure you're as tasty fried as par-boiled :p

it's not linking me - maybe i've not got something allowed i'm meant to. i can't see the icon without clicking the left link and all that brings up is the icon that won't link me to your page. any chance of your page's url? pls? *cheezy grin ---> :D*
Here it is. :)

Take a week off and come back to write it. I know it's going to take me at least that long. :cool:

Back