Companion to the Five in Five

Mea culpa

Well, it's happened. I couldn't post yesterday, so now I am hoping that if I post two poems today that the thread starter will let me off the hook.

El, I agree with Tz--that was an excellent poem.

So, T? What form of hypnosis or arm-twisitng you using to get all these people to commit to challenges? I heard a rumour that you had black an white pics of a naked El on your hard drive and were using them to blackmail him.

Nah, he has no naked pics of me. What he does have though is some naked pics of you and he is promising to share if I get through it --- suspect I blew that yesterday, grrrrr. (Dammit what's a perv gotta do to get illicit pervy pictures around here — oh yeah, just go to the pics forum and lo! they appear! Bad lighting thrown in, gratis.)

Danker you two lovebirds.

Nah, he has no naked pics of me. What he does have though is some naked pics of you and he is promising to share if I get through it --- suspect I blew that yesterday, grrrrr. (Dammit what's a perv gotta do to get illicit pervy pictures around here — oh yeah, just go to the pics forum and lo! they appear! Bad lighting thrown in, gratis.)

Danker you two lovebirds.

heh heh.

See, you'd probably take way better naked pictures yourself. It's really the only way to get the exact right naked pictures for you.

Nice work in the 5/5 but basically, you're just going to have to do a 30/30 now. You may as well.

[peerpressure]

c'mon, everybody's doin' it.

You'll be cool. Well, cooler. You're already sorta cool.

[/peerpressure]

bj

Well, I'll cheerfully resist the peer pressure for just so long as there are no naked pictures in the offing.

But hey, that new avie is from one of my favourite films: Ball of Fire by Howard Hawks. Barb never looked better than in that film! (Tho she was pretty hot in Double Indemnity. Oh and The Lady Eve, and…)

Well, I'll cheerfully resist the peer pressure for just so long as there are no naked pictures in the offing.

But hey, that new avie is from one of my favourite films: Ball of Fire by Howard Hawks. Barb never looked better than in that film! (Tho she was pretty hot in Double Indemnity. Oh and The Lady Eve, and…)

Been thinkin' a lot about that movie of late. She was pretty steamin' in Baby Face too.

bj

Best film I ever saw her in — she looked amazing — was a pre-code film called Illicit. Very steamy too.

I've been watching a lot of stuff from that era lately. I saw Three on a Match and Red Headed Woman again a few weeks ago. The latter is Harlow being an absolute psycho hosebeast. Amazing movie.

My favorite moment in Double Indemnity is the scene where they're pretending not to know each other in the grocery store.

no one will notice us mumbling at each other suspiciously across the aisle, wearing these amazingly obvious sunglasses.

145126__doubleindemnity_l.jpg

I've been watching a lot of stuff from that era lately. I saw Three on a Match and Red Headed Woman again a few weeks ago. The latter is Harlow being an absolute psycho hosebeast. Amazing movie.

My favorite moment in Double Indemnity is the scene where they're pretending not to know each other in the grocery store.

no one will notice us mumbling at each other suspiciously across the aisle, wearing these amazingly obvious sunglasses.

145126__doubleindemnity_l.jpg
That isn't the point. She looks incredibly trashily hot in that blondie hair (What is that, a wig? Cheap dye job?) and sunglasses.

I might not kill for her, but I'd sure as hell think about it.

Or at least talkreallyfastinclippedspeech like Fred does.

You guys are forgetting her being hypercreepysexy in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.

Yes, I know Lizabeth Scott is also in that movie. Yes, I know she's supposed to be the real love interest. No, I am not paying attention to her—not when Barb is making Kirk Douglas (Kirk Douglas!) sit up and beg like a toy Chow.

Arf, arf!

Last edited:
That isn't the point. She looks incredibly trashily hot in that blondie hair (What is that, a wig? Cheap dye job?) and sunglasses.

You guys are forgetting her being hypercreepysexy in The Stange Love of Martha Ivers.

Yes, I know Lizabeth Scott is also in that movie. Yes, I know she's supposed to be the real love interest. No, I am not paying attention to her—not when Barb is making Kirk Douglas (Kirk Douglas!) sit up and beg like a toy Chow.

Arf, arf!

Clearly I need to see that one.

Honestly I wasn't a huge fan of hers until I saw Ball of Fire. I didn't dislike her; I just hadn't paid all that much attention to her.

I'd have married all eight professors, though, given the choice.

Wait. Perhaps married isn't quite the word I was looking for.

bj

You guys are forgetting her being hypercreepysexy in The Stange Love of Martha Ivers.

Arf, arf!

I do agree with the both of you. But my favourite moment in Double Indemnity is that moment when idiot-boy Fred (what a schlemmiel!) hits the husband over the head and you just see this smile infuse itself on Barb's face, spreading like she has just come in here seat. Such an evil, evil moment.

And yeah, she is completely nuts in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers — she pwns that film.

(Tell a dumb foreigner: what is this 'strange love' notion in American slang. It's there in the Barb film and in the Kubrick film. What was its cultural meaning?)

(Tell a dumb foreigner: what is this 'strange love' notion in American slang. It's there in the Barb film and in the Kubrick film. What was its cultural meaning?)
Kubrick?

Um, at the risk of ever more exposing myself as dim, what Kubrick film would that be, El? Lolita is maybe the one that comes to mind, but does he use that term?

Yes, I know. I'm a fake. A fake who can't spell until he finally, stupidly notices he originally wrote "Stange Love."

And, yes. That is an Americanism. Means, um, manipulative. Yeah. That.

Perhaps not.

Nice legs, Sugarpuss.

Glad you like 'em. There are a few disadvantages to having a 34" inseam, like finding jeans that don't hit me mid-calf, but on the whole I wouldn't trade.

I do agree with the both of you. But my favourite moment in Double Indemnity is that moment when idiot-boy Fred (what a schlemmiel!) hits the husband over the head and you just see this smile infuse itself on Barb's face, spreading like she has just come in here seat. Such an evil, evil moment.

And yeah, she is completely nuts in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers — she pwns that film.

good question. I don't know. I'm not sure it's all that common or specific as an idiom.

bj

Kubrick?

Um, at the risk of ever more exposing myself as dim, what Kubrick film would that be, El? Lolita is maybe the one that comes to mind, but does he use that term?

Yes, I know. I'm a fake. A fake who can't spell until he finally, stupidly notices he originally wrote "Stange Love."

And, yes. That is an Americanism. Means, um, manipulative. Yeah. That.

Ahhh that would be

Dr Strangelove

Ahhh that would be

Dr Strangelove
Oh, dear. I am even stupider than I feared.

OK, OK. :cool:

And, no, I don't have any idea what that means particularly other than I can't even put in context one of my all-time freakin' favorite movies!

Shit.

I, like, now feel all de-rezzed, like Da5id. Do not mourn me, fellow Liretj%!!nsh+== Ksm*& **8 .!@0si6ia Md0_______

Not to worry, Tz. We all do it. I know I think, with some stubborn part of my brain, that Kubrick's directorial debut was 2001! I have to keep reminding myself that it was much, much earlier than that. (How many people remember that Spartacus was one of his — not many I suspect.)

Not to worry, Tz. We all do it. I know I think, with some stubborn part of my brain, that Kubrick's directorial debut was 2001! I have to keep reminding myself that it was much, much earlier than that. (How many people remember that Spartacus was one of his — not many I suspect.)

Of Spartacus, I mostly remember Dalton Trumbo. Props for the blacklisted writers of that era, and the people who were courageous enough to support them.

bj

Or that he was the original director on Brando's One-Eyed Jacks.

I haven't seen Fear and Desire, but I have seen Killer's Kiss.

And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Gorgeous, Sara

I really loved your poems on the 5/5. The sea turtle one is especially lovely in its dangerousness. No chance of getting you over in the 30 with me, is there? With school starting? :rose:

I really loved your poems on the 5/5. The sea turtle one is especially lovely in its dangerousness. No chance of getting you over in the 30 with me, is there? With school starting? :rose:

Thanks , Dora. :)

Um, absolutely none at all.

Personal poetry writing has been interrupted by Animal Farm, Macbeth and Tale of Two Cities etc...I'll be lucky to get five poems finished. ;)

Thanks , Dora. :)

Um, absolutely none at all.

Personal poetry writing has been interrupted by Animal Farm, Macbeth and Tale of Two Cities etc...I'll be lucky to get five poems finished. ;)
Is this a dagger that I see before me, Napoleon, in the best of times and worst of times?

Shit. Just have Boxer kick him in the head.

Back