Cum! Cummed! Cumming! AAAAAH...

DVS said:
My schooling says (and, maybe I'm wrong) to get the correct sound from the U, it must have 2 Ms following. Of course, we are talking about English, and there are always exceptions.

Yeah, I also thought that. Here's a couple of examples: Cumin, the spice, only has one M; the U is pronounced as the letter sounds.
Humming has two Ms, the U is sounded as the phonic version of U.

Maybe it is acceptable to spell cumming/cuming either way, but it feels right to me spelling it with two Ms.

What a fickle thing the english language is. :)

Katie

Tatelou said:
Yeah, I also thought that. Here's a couple of examples: Cumin, the spice, only has one M; the U is pronounced as the letter sounds.
Humming has two Ms, the U is sounded as the phonic version of U.

Maybe it is acceptable to spell cumming/cuming either way, but it feels right to me spelling it with two Ms.

What a fickle thing the english language is. :)

Katie

Lou (cos you like it)

Hmm. So you could say that the 'phonic' version of 'U' is the generally accepted version, judging purely by European vowel sounds. ah eh ee oh uh. Rather than the noncy southern english vowel sounds of eow eeoow aaaay owe eeuuw.

I'm pretty sure there's a reason in there as to why Yorkshire is a properer language than "received English".

Gauche

Ey (as in hey without the h), ee, eye, owe, yu

That's the proper nancy southern boy way of saying the vowels. :D

Cumming needs two m's because cum ends in a vowel-consonant and so the consonant is doubled when '-ing' is added. Coming is only one m, because come ends in a magic e, so the e is dropped when '-ing' is added.

Shine - shining, not shinning.
Also Run - running, not runing.

The Earl

gauchecritic said:
Rather than the noncy southern english vowel sounds of eow eeoow aaaay owe eeuuw.

I'm pretty sure there's a reason in there as to why Yorkshire is a properer language than "received English".

I don't talk in that nouncy southern way. My accent is a mixture of Dorset (Dooorzet), Cockney (innit?) and Yorkshire (YoRkShiRe). But the Dooorzet usually wins through. So, I pronounce my vowels phonically: ah, eh, oh, ih, uh. Non-phonically they would be: aaaay, eeee, aiy, ohhh, you.

Yorshire is a much more properer language that Dooorzet, at least you don't sound in-bred when you speak. ;)

Lou :kiss: (cos I do like it)

Well I'm the BBC newsreader kind of voice with a few SE inflections, so technically speaking, I'm the most correct English speaker here. :D Until Ogg turns up of course.

The Earl

TheEarl said:
Well I'm the BBC newsreader kind of voice

What, you sound like Hugh Edwards??? But he's Welsh. LOL

(I think Purrditta (;) ) was right.)

Lou :D

Cara mia, Lou:

You're a fast learner. More impressed by each post.

xo's, Purrditta

perdita said:
You're a fast learner. More impressed by each post.

Thank you, Purrditta.

I'm in a very relaxed mood, and the interaction around here is great.

Lou :heart:

Tatelou said:
I don't talk in that nouncy southern way. My accent is a mixture of Dorset (Dooorzet), Cockney (innit?) and Yorkshire (YoRkShiRe). But the Dooorzet usually wins through. So, I pronounce my vowels phonically: ah, eh, oh, ih, uh. Non-phonically they would be: aaaay, eeee, aiy, ohhh, you.

Yorshire is a much more properer language that Dooorzet, at least you don't sound in-bred when you speak. ;)

Lou :kiss: (cos I do like it)
But, is southern England anything like southern U.S.?

the southerners over here speak with a nice little twang. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it, and it is actually kind of cute, when a sweet southern bell asks me for something in that southern way. You know what I mean? :D

Now, I am having a little trouble picturing a British accent with that twang added. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by gauchecritic
My 'gang' (totally different meaning over here by the way) frequently used the term 'fetch' as in "I'm going to fetch."
The only thing I have to contribute is that, evidently, back in Shakespeare's day, they used the verb "die" as a synonym. I'm not sure if this actually appears in any of his plays, though.

CWatson said:
The only thing I have to contribute is that, evidently, back in Shakespeare's day, they used the verb "die" as a synonym. I'm not sure if this actually appears in any of his plays, though.
Hey, CW. It's one of the most common Elizabethan euphemisms for sex or the big O. They believed each sexual act shortened one's life by a minute due to the discharge of fluids. You'll find die used thus in most of the plays if not all.

Antony's pal Enobarbus says this about women and Cleopatra (beginning at I.2.134, Arden ed.):
Under a compelling occasion, let women die: it were a pity to cast them away for nothing, though between them and a great cause, they should be esteemed nothing. Cleopatra catching but the least noise of this, dies instantly. I have seen her die twenty times upon far poorer moment: I do think there is mettle in death, which commits some loving act upon her, she hath such a celerity in dying*.

Later when she plans her suicide, after Antony's death, she exclaims, "make death proud to take us." Near the very end after she's put the poisonous asp 'to her breast', she says, "The stroke of death is as a lover's pinch."

*My emphasis; I love those lines.

Excuse the long reply, I love this play and you caused me to recall a few reasons. Thanks.

Perdita

Oh dear

perdita said:
Hey, CW. It's one of the most common Elizabethan euphemisms for sex or the big O. They believed each sexual act shortened one's life by a minute due to the discharge of fluids. You'll find die used thus in most of the plays if not all.

Perdita

As in the French Le petite mort.

But oh chuffing heck. How many threads are there which bemoan the use of either partner uttering "I'm cumming" and now we have this;

Antony and Cleopatra Act IV, Scene XIII

Ant. I am dying, Egypt, dying:

By the Bard himself no less. Tchah.

Gauche

Richter rictus

gauchecritic said:
As in the French Le petite mort.
Dear Gauchie,
Hemmingway used "the earth moved." Around here, though, that's more tectonic than erotic.
MG

Oh dear, Gauche

gauchecritic said:
But oh chuffing heck.

Ant. I am dying, Egypt, dying:
Chuffing heck, presumably a Yorkism so I love it. That and Ant.'s final lusting swell me up. So much of Sh'rean lines do, partly why I can't stop reading them.

Ant. and his 'tawny gipsy' who're make the best of wantoness and lewdness to the very end.

Next to her last four words, Cleopatra says, O Antony! Nay, I will take thee too.

Presently re-living my salad days,

Purrrrrrrrr

Edited for correct Northern spelling of who're.

Last edited by a moderator:
DVS said:
But, is southern England anything like southern U.S.?

the southerners over here speak with a nice little twang. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it, and it is actually kind of cute, when a sweet southern bell asks me for something in that southern way. You know what I mean? :D

Now, I am having a little trouble picturing a British accent with that twang added. :rolleyes:

I'm sad to say that we have a completely different kind of twang. Brits from the Southwest have a kind of country bumpkin inflection in their voices.
Picture this...
A maiden sat on a wooden gate, dressed in a pretty, flowery dress and welly boots. She's got a piece of straw hanging out of the corner of her mouth, and she says,"oooarrrr, 'ave you seen moi new comboine 'arvistor, oi liv in the cuntry oi do." She also has freckles and a front tooth missing.

That wasn't a description of myself, btw. Just an attempted illustration of my folk.

Lou :D

Back