EEK! Sorry sorry sorry sorry

And for Icing

Icing: I just read the lyrics of what must be your latest work here on Lit. Just what I needed... to make my mourning complete. You have a gift. Run with it.

Clay - fights the tears and now thinking about the solice to be found at the end of a river of wine... Thanks again, Raphy.

Clay, have a listen to Cinderalla's "One For Rock 'n Roll".....

I'll say no more.

destinie21 said:
I know you guys are getting all deep on the rock and roll riff things and what music begets rebirths and all but I'd like to say Tina Turner can be discussed in any genre (only because she's a kick ass lady and I like her.) I don't know if her music is defined as true rock and roll but whatever.

Tina Turner is what soul and RnB music should be all about. Raw, loud, sexual force. In a way, yes, that's very rock'n'roll.

I read things like "I haven't brought an album for years" and "I don't really listen to new music" from some ppl here. That saddens me a bit. Although what you mostly hear pouring from the radio is absolute tripe, there are, at any given time (yes, even now), so many wonders out there under the surface that you're missing out on.

Currently spinning: Lamb.
Soulful soothing in a wonderfully alien package.

Yep, the women always come through for me. To Dest's names I add Aretha (so proud I grew up in her town), Irma Thomas, Bessie S., Martha (of the V's), Etta James, really early Supremes, Ronnie Spector. (Leaving out da boyz for the moment.)

Perdita

Last edited by a moderator:
raphy said:

Maybe it's time I started playing full time again.

Raph, who knows that if we don't make the future, others will make it for us.

Thanks for the quick response Raph. And let it be noted that while I don't willfully seek pop music I am young and american so I can't escape the media surge and influence if friends when it comes to hearing the "new stuff". I implore you Raph if Brit and xtina are the future to play full time and even overtime to make said future better. If not I choose to stay firmly rooted in the past.:D

raphy said:
Tina's part of what I like to call 'stadium rock'. Slot her in your CD rack next to Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams. (Just my opinion, of course).
Raff, you're showing your youth here. I don't begrudge Tina her dues come through, but you should have known her in the Detroit clubs before Phil Spector found her and Ike. In 1970 she was the opening act at a stadium concert and was the best thing about the night including Wilson Pickett. I think the main act was Creedence or some other whitewashing group. Tina's still real as real to me, even in a stadium.

'dita

*grins*

Showing my youth? Probably... Nice to have that happen though, since I'm the oldest of my social circle 'round my parts..

I'm confused though...

I call her Stadium Rock, and your post appears to disagree, and then you say "Tina's still real as real to me, even in a stadium."

Help my poor head! Are ya saying she is, or isn't? And yeah, my view of Tina is very influenced by what she did from the 80s onwards.

Raph, confuzzled.

raph: Very spot on with that early 80's comparison. I can almost feel the revolution lurking around the corner...

Clay: You mean Cling...? It's all about the blues, baby. Old school style.

'dita: Thanks for reminding me to go dig up some Aretha. That is a voice that can shiver me timbers any time of the day.

raphy said:
*grins*

Showing my youth? Probably... Nice to have that happen though, since I'm the oldest of my social circle 'round my parts..

I'm confused though...

I call her Stadium Rock, and your post appears to disagree, and then you say "Tina's still real as real to me, even in a stadium."

Help my poor head! Are ya saying she is, or isn't? And yeah, my view of Tina is very influenced by what she did from the 80s onwards.

Raph, confuzzled.

So you're dicounting the whole time she was part of Ike and Tina and before that part of Ike and the kings of rhythm not to mention when she was "just" Anna Mae Bullock on tour with Ike and the Kings

Last edited:
Raff: Sorry for the confuzzling. Yeah, anyone can label Tina stadium-rock today, it's what she does. I meant that even in such a setting she's true to her 'black club' roots and soul. Many stadium rockers don't even have roots, haha.

Re. your youth I meant you weren't around when she was a newbie. OK?

'dita

Darling 'dita dear.. I knew what you meant by showing my youth. Doesn't happen very often for me, since most of the folks I hang out with in RL are 25 or younger.

And ya, I was remiss in not counting her original roots, due to the aforementioned 'showing of my youth' ...

*grins* ...

Raph, neither the youngest nor oldest here. Yay!

Tina Turner

Perdita is right about Tina Turner's essential role in the history of r&r. Tina's raw, in your face sexuality, her kind of female energy on stage was a new element. But, if we are paying homage to those who defined an era, we cannot forget the lustful Janice Joplin - who unlike Tina, didn't have those killer legs, or an especially attractive face, but damn sure knew how to use her voice. Without offering eye candy, she'd milk every musical drop from those killer pipes of hers to completely charm an audience.

'dita - One wonders how you can remember a concert in 1970 if you were really, I mean, REALLY there?

Clay - feeling somewhat better thinking about Tina's legs...

"...we don't do nuthin' 'nice 'n easy' - we like to do it nice 'n rough."

Last edited:
Re: Tina Turner

Clay Tanner said:
'dita - One wonders if you can remember a concert in 1970 if you were really, I mean, REALLY there?

Ha ha, hombre. I was all there. Being Mex I was never a hippie or druggie type (though I tried stuff out occasionally). Listening and watching Tina Turner in 1970 was a high enough for me.

Re. her legs: I love ballet and have seen the greatest legs on earth over the years. I have fine legs too, but if I had a choice I'd choose Tina's legs over any prima ballerina's.

Perdita

Clay Tanner said:
Perdita is right about Tina Turner's essential role in the history of r&r. Tina's raw, in your face sexuality, her kind of female energy on stage was a new element. But, if we are paying homage to those who defined an era, we cannot forget the lustful Janice Joplin - who unlike Tina, didn't have those killer legs, or an especially attractive face, but damn sure knew how to use those her killer pipes of hers to completely charm an audience.

Personally, I think it all started with Piaf, setting a standard in bringing sex (as opposed to skin, which is much easier) upon the stage of popular music, doung what noone else had ever dared to do before. Shamelessly spellbinding her audience with poerful words and powerful voice from the depth of her...well...cunt.

Sugar, re. Piaf (whom I enjoy), have you heard Norteño music? I suspect every country has their Piaf, Joplin, Aretha, Tina.

Perdita

perdita said:
Sugar, re. Piaf (whom I enjoy), have you heard Norteño music? I suspect every country has their Piaf, Joplin, Aretha, Tina.

Perdita

Can't say I have. Can't say I don't want to. Suggestions?

Sugar: this will tell you more than I can. I'll have to get back to you re. names, but you can search and find good recommendations.

http://freemaz.com/ARCHIVES/JAVI/znorteno.htm

This quote tells you lots: "Norteño music, on the other hand, has a very definite lower class image. Nobody with a college education listens to it."

Perdita la Norteña

Edited to add: http://www.zonalatina.com/Zldata206.htm

I forgot about Ranchera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,

I've enjoyed this thread. When it comes to taste, all mine's in my mouth, so I'll spare you my thoughts on the state of rock. However, I would remind you "young'uns" that in the midst of the flowering of rock music, shit was still happening. Just check the Billboard charts for that period.

For me, one of the nice things about "modern" pop music is that my college age kids and I can share musical experiences. That was most definitely not the case with my parents.

As for Tina Turner, I echo the thoughts of a friend of mine who said he wanted to be re-incarnated as her microphone.

To the list of fine female singers Mrs D and Perdita compiled, let me add that of, Tracey Nelson, who was the lead singer for "Mother Earth". She managed to survive the SF scene, lives near Nashville, and is still recording.

As for guys who haven't been mentioned, here are two I still like. A one-time paratrooper with the 101st Airborne named Jimmie Hendrix was a fair guitar picker and Long John Baldry, an English blues singer, did a recording of, "Don't Lay No Boogie Woogie On the King of Rock and Roll" that's one of all-time favorite singles.

You may now return to your thoughtful discourse.

Rumple Foreskin

"I have fine legs too."

Perdita,

Hmmm. Enticing me now(and the boys) with those shapely legs of yours? Just yesterday I read a story you wrote...and from reading it I know with certainty that you know how to use those legs for maximum advantage.

Clay - thinking of the amazingly limber legs of an 18 year young ballarina in NYC, way back in '67 and smiling most contentedly. Ahh, the memory of unbelieveable acts of agility.

P.S. Carumba, chica! As Tina might say it: "What's Mex got to do with it?"

"I have fine legs too."

Perdita,

Hmmm. Enticing me now(and the boys) with those shapely legs of yours? Just yesterday I read a story you wrote...and from reading it I know with certainty that you know how to use those legs for maximum advantage.

Clay - thinking of the amazingly limber legs of an 18 year young ballarina in NYC, way back in '67 and smiling most contentedly. Ahh, the memory of unbelieveable acts of agility.

Clay Tanner said:

"...we don't do nuthin' 'nice 'n easy' - we like to do it nice 'n hard."

I think it's we never ever do nothin nice and easy... We always do it nice and rough. We're going to take the begining of this song ....

I'm a die hard Tina fan.
Who doesn't think about those legs? I'd trade my 21 y/o legs in a hot second for her 63 (soon to be 64 y/o) legs.:)

Re: "I have fine legs too."

Clay Tanner said:
thinking of the amazingly limber legs of an 18 year young ballarina in NYC, way back in '67
Clay: an 18 year old can't be a ballerina. Yeah, I'm quibbling, but it's cos I know ballet. At 18 a girl's just finished schooling, if she started at the min. age of 10. If she's truly artistic then sometime in her thirties she might earn the title ballerina. Otherwise, use ballet dancer. FYI, there have been a few dozen true prima ballerinas in dance history, and even rarer: prima ballerina assoluta. I have seen a few in my lifetime and will never forget them. Legs of steel, leggato phrasing, and poetic souls.

Ha! How'd we get from R&R to ballet?

And what did you mean by your p.s. question?

Perdita

Rumple Foreskin said:

As for guys who haven't been mentioned, here are two I still like. A one-time paratrooper with the 101st Airborne named Jimmie Hendrix was a fair guitar picker

Mom once told me that I was concieved toi the sound of Highway Chile.

Just wanted to say that.

...and Perdita, thank you for the links. I'll dive right in. I'm an educated man, but I don't gave a damn.

Back