Feedback requests in the Hangout

KillerMuffin said:
I also think that gentle and polite reminders are the way to go. So, could someone please show me how to do these things? Thank you!

I agree with your thoughts about the threads, but I'm afraid I can't help you here. Polite and gentle are not my strong points.
MG

Luckily, I was a watching a movie at the time and the robot-like waitress asked the heroic guy to please put his trash in the proper receptacle. I copied what she said and fitted it to the occasion. It's really sad when you get your etiquette from anime.

That does help, WSO! I'm afraid that my personality, while less stable, is along the lines of MG's.

Couture said:
I say we give them really bad feedback. Like, "do us all a favor and amputate your fingers."

After the first couple of times, no one will dare ask for feedback again.

My vote for Thread Nazi goes to Couture.

Whilst I'm at it I'm sure I can rely on Couture's vote for my election as Thread Twat.

Gauche

KillerMuffin said:
That does help, WSO! I'm afraid that my personality, while less stable, is along the lines of MG's.

Oh my gawd. Now I am afraid ... and to think I was just in the GB. :eek:

Pookie :rose:

Last edited:
in my opinion:
-the inclusion of the smiley face helps tone down the succinctness of your comments.

-i'd probably reword the second sentence to something more 'informal' sounding but saying the same. i.e. Feel free to come back and join other threads. - or some such thing.

-you've said what needed saying without hurting anyone.

- saying 'Hi .....' could also be used as a friendly start.

not that you needed it, but i hope my thoughts help.
wso

WSO,

In the future, please restrict your critiques, no matter how funny they may be, to the Story Feedback Forum or the Story Discussion Circle. :D

RF

ps: don't pay me any attention, I'm still trying to de-compress from TheEarl's sig line.

Rumple Foreskin said:
in my opinion:
-the inclusion of the smiley face helps tone down the succinctness of your comments.

-i'd probably reword the second sentence to something more 'informal' sounding but saying the same. i.e. Feel free to come back and join other threads. - or some such thing.

-you've said what needed saying without hurting anyone.

- saying 'Hi .....' could also be used as a friendly start.

not that you needed it, but i hope my thoughts help.
wso

WSO,

In the future, please restrict your critiques, no matter how funny they may be, to the Story Feedback Forum or the Story Discussion Circle. :D

RF

ps: don't pay me any attention, I'm still trying to de-compress from TheEarl's sig line.

love it! no, not TheEarl's sig line - they give me bad headaches, come to think of it, so does that funny hat picture he's got up again... i meant i love whatever it was you said.

time for coffee methinks.

you thought that was funny?

god, i've lost my touch for sure now.

i had another thought earlier *watches as everyone runs for cover*...

what if this forum had a 'welcome to newbies' thread along similar lines as some of the other forums?

that might free up some of the board, and perhaps it may stop people from jumping in with all fours for the kill, so to speak.

any thoughts?

WSO: "What if this forum had a 'welcome to newbies' thread along similar lines as some of the other forums? That might free up some of the board, and perhaps it may stop people from jumping in with all fours for the kill, so to speak."

--

RF: Well, I got a hunch there might be one little problem with that idea. We could be creating a free field of fire, a happy hunting ground for certain members in our midst.

--

MG: "I'm afraid I can't help you here. Polite and gentle are not my strong points."

i don't agree... i haven't seen that kind of thing happening in the BDSM newbie thread... not checked it for a little while though.

it's easy to stay out of threads that simply don't interest us.

Last and final offer

How about if I promise to be a good girl forever and ever, cross my heart and hope to die?
MG

Last edited:
Re: Last and final offer

MathGirl said:
How about if I promise to be a good girl forever and ever, cross my heart and hope to die?
MG

I'll hunt you down and shave your eyebrows off. I prefer you the way you are.

wildsweetone said:

what if this forum had a 'welcome to newbies' thread along similar lines as some of the other forums?

that might free up some of the board, and perhaps it may stop people from jumping in with all fours for the kill, so to speak.

any thoughts?

Every day someone comes into the feedback forum and requests feedback for their new story without providing a link to the story, telling us what it's called, warning us that it contains incest or other potentially off-putting stuff, and leaves without ever thanking anyone who provides feedback and without giving feedback to anyone else.

It could be that the numbers would be even higher if it wasn't for the "Writers: Please Read" sticky thread, but... I don't know. I guess it's just some people's nature to just jump right in without ever looking around first.

I guess I have my doubts that anyone who wants feedback but doesn't notice there's a whole feedback forum to explore will bother to open up a thread for newbies in the Author's Hangout.

Damn, I am feeling cynical and annoyed tonight. That time of year. Sorry.

DarlingNikki said:

Damn, I am feeling cynical and annoyed tonight. That time of year. Sorry.
________

It's a seasonal thing with women now? :(

Re: Re: Last and final offer

KillerMuffin said:
I'll hunt you down and shave your eyebrows off. I prefer you the way you are.

Oh, okay. Whew!
MG

Ps. Thank God I'm finally finished with school. Fovever and ever! I don't ever have to learn anything again. Yay!

Last edited:
As a 'newbie', and one who doesn't seem to be making friends easily, I hate the idea of a newbie thread. After all, how do we ever learn the right way unless the Masters smack us around a bit? Besides, all we'll do in there is cannibalize one another...

Yeah, but if we gathered you all in a single thread, then we could pick you off one by one. I can just see MG cutting a newbie out of the herd, separating him before the pack of authors go in for the kill.

Now isn't that a good idea?

The Earl

What might be even funnier is if one of the newbies handed a guru their ass, huh? :D

Well, maybe it's just funny to me. Nice hat, btw, Earl.

sack_lunches said:
What might be even funnier is if one of the newbies handed a guru their ass, huh? :D

I don't have a donkey. :D

The Earl

Originally posted by gauchecritic
I know I shouldn't ask but; Am I missing something here?

Female genitalia? A small hat made from a tea cosy? The remains of a bowl of tulips that was called into being 1000 ft above the ground?

The Earl

it's gotta be that darn hat.

i read something recently about cannibalism... yuck

actually sack_lunches, you have a good point. it's probably only a tiny minority of new authors who get offended at the quick wit.

a welcome to newbies thread was just a thought...

maybe we should flip the coin and have a thread that oldies are only allowed to play on, oh wait, that's what the whole Hangout is for, right? ;)

Ms Innocence

TheEarl said:
I can just see MG cutting a newbie out of the herd, separating him before the pack of authors go in for the kill.

I don't know what I've ever done to deserve a reputation like that. I resemble that remark.
MG

Back