Gerund-o-rama

Sveedisch

Svenskaflicka said:
Think that Chef trying to speak after someone has stapled his lips together, with a jawbreaker inside his mouth.

Now you're talking Danish.

I could always understand Victor Borge perfectly. Of course, he was speaking English.

In California, you need to speak some Mexican to get along. Having a good command of jive helps, too.

Gerundettina the Sesquilingual

Die Schmetterlinge sind sehr schönen heute!

Svens! I'm shocked at you trying to pass German off as Swedish.

"The --- is very pretty today" Dunno what Schmetterlinge is. Put me out of my misery will you?

The Earl

PS. How many languages do you speak?

Schmetterlinge means "butterflies", Earl.:)

Actually, I wasn't trying to pass anything off MG, I was just trying to see if she would react dirrently to different languages. I've tried Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish and German on her, but I don't think she can tell the difference. She's good at math, though.

I WAS thinking of throwing in some Sorani (South-Kurdish), but I don't know how to spell the words without those little curlicues they call letters.

I speak Swedish and English fluently, French and Spanish rather well, and a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of German and Italian. And Latin.

Ikaga desu ka?

How are you? in Japanese. One of the nine or ten phrases that I know of Japanese. Is it as sexy as Swedish?

As a word of warning, be very careful when saying you are hot in German. Ich habe heiBe (literally I have hot) is correct. Saying Ich bin heiBe (lit. I am hot) means you are horny.

So now you know what to say if you want to shag a German.

The Earl

Like that scene in SATC:

Samantha comes into the office as her lover/boss Richard is yelling at a business partner in Germany.

Richard: -How do say "fuck you" in German?
Samantha: -"Fick mich!"
Richard (into the phone): -Fick mich! Hello?
Turning to Samantha: - He hung up!
Samantha: -Come to think of it, that wasn't "fuck you", it was "fuck me"...

Propaganda Alert:

Svenskaflicka said:
Think Muppet Show. Think Swedish Chef. (Which wasn't Swedish, no Swede sounds like that!!!:mad: )
Don't let Svenskaflicka mislead you! The Swedish Chef DOES sound like 8 million Swedes! The Swedes would just never admit it!
;)

Svenskaflicka said:
Just because a Dane gets a Swedish citizienship, doesn't make him a Swede...:p
Or... just because a Dane gets Swedish citizenship doesn't mean he WANTS to be a Swede.
Although very few Danes get Swedish citizenship. Why should they? Open borders since 1950. No need.
:)
Gerundorooney

Melody from "I wanna be like you":

Oh-be-dooh!
I wanna be a Swe-e-ede!
Oooh-be-do-be-do-bah!
I wanna walk like Swedes,
talk like Swedes,
fuck like Swe-edes...:D

Last edited:
Listening to "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror Picture Show:

"Let's do the Geeeeeeeeeee-rund again!"

G-word

Svenskaflicka said:
"Let's do the Geeeeeeeeeee-rund again!"

Okay, everybody........ all together now:

GIMME A "GEE" .................................<<< GEE >>>
GIMME A "EEE" ................................. <<< EEE >>>
GIMME A "ARE" ............................... <<< ARE >>>
GIMME A "EWE"..................................<<< EWE >>>
GIMME A "ENN" ................................ <<< ENN >>>
GIMME A "DEE" ..................................<<< DEE>>>

WHAZZAT SPELL?????????

Ummm ... Phoebe?

Space Shuttle

It seems that we take for granted that the space shuttles go up, do whatever it is they do, and come down. They're so reliable that it's become a ho-hum thing.

It's only when a disaster like today's happens that we realize how dangerous those damned things are and what a risk the people who go up in them take.

I feel terribly sorry for their families.

Gerunda the Sad

It is amazing that no matter how far technology advances, human lives are still just as fragile. Astronaunts are a different "breed". They know their lives are at great risk any time they step inside a shuttle. The good they do through discovery for the benefit of us all is very risky to say the least. Their deaths are a tragedy for us all.

I feel extremely sad for their families and friends. They also knew the risks. But losing a spouse, parent, brother, sister, or friend is never easy. I pray that they find the strength to endure their tremendous loss.

Viva Gerunda

[Okay, everybody........ all together now:

GIMME A "GEE" .................................<<< GEE >>>
GIMME A "EEE" ................................. <<< EEE >>>
GIMME A "ARE" ............................... <<< ARE >>>
GIMME A "EWE"..................................<<< EWE >>>
GIMME A "ENN" ................................ <<< ENN >>>
GIMME A "DEE" ..................................<<< DEE>>>

Oh, boy! A resurrection of the gerund thread. My favorite subject. Well, maybe after transvestite singing cowboys.
Wheeeee,
MG

Re: correction

Pure said:
WHarold said,

A gerund is the "ing" form of a verb used as a Noun in the sentence structure -- see Angeline's post for a good example of gerunds in action.

Angeline had said

Thinking of you. Wondering why you are doing this. Is this what you were wanting?

Nice meeting you.

WH, your definition is correct. However, none of the verb forms in Angeline's post are gerunds; they are 'progressive' forms.

Best,
J.
Well, one of Angeline's examples is a gerund. In "[It is] nice meeting you" ( = "Meeting you is nice"), meeting is clearly used as a noun, and is therefore a Gerund. All other examples are mere present participles.

Present participle: a participle that typically expresses present action in relation to the time expressed by the finite verb in its clause and that in English is formed with the suffix -ing and is used in the formation of the progressive tenses.

Gerund: the English verbal noun ending in -ing that has the function of a substantive and at the same time shows the verbal features of tense, voice, and capacity to take adverbial qualifiers and to govern objects

Present participle: I've been writing all day.
Gerund: Would you like to see a sample of my writing?

Back