Halloween 2015 Challenge Rules & Discussion

tired of guessing? I wrote 4(poem), butters 3, and mags wrote 12 :D champers wrote the windingo piece, Angeline had the pantoum, the others... oh gm wrote Plato's cafe

44 "Windigo" is Champie's I think.

Seanathon is Canadian, too, so keep him in mind. And Magnetron is, I think, from Minnesota, which is kind of like the Canadian Minor Leagues. Especially rural Minnesota, which is where I have the impression he lives.

Or I could have been ingesting large amounts of intoxicants this evening and be way, way off.
I'm wondering about the othermoose. I could blame him/her for 44 .. Lac La Biche is a spit away from me, but as I said, the windigo is an Algonquin monster and unless Louis Real's people brought the monster with them, it's not a Cree or Chippewan story so not sure how it ties in to this area.

The weather and mood of the poem set the geography perfectly for the western parklands region . quick! it's gonna get that cold .. really soon brrrr

Seanathon is Canadian, too, so keep him in mind. And Magnetron is, I think, from Minnesota, which is kind of like the Canadian Minor Leagues. Especially rural Minnesota, which is where I have the impression he lives.

Or I could have been ingesting large amounts of intoxicants this evening and be way, way off.

Ya hey dere dontcha know eh?

Close.

I'm in WI, originally from IL.

I'm wondering about the othermoose. I could blame him/her for 44 .. Lac La Biche is a spit away from me, but as I said, the windigo is an Algonquin monster and unless Louis Real's people brought the monster with them, it's not a Cree or Chippewan story so not sure how it ties in to this area.

The weather and mood of the poem set the geography perfectly for the western parklands region . quick! it's gonna get that cold .. really soon brrrr

I currently live near the Chippewa Valley in WI and lived most of my life near Algonquin, IL.

Last edited:
Revised:

AlwaysHungry - 1
Angeline - 3
Ashesh9 - 1
butters - 4
champagne1982 - 1
Elmer Glew - 1
GuiltyPleasure aka Tristesse2 - 5
Harry Hill - 5

greenmountainer - 3
legerdemer - 2
Lyricalli - 1
Magnetron - 12
Othermoose - 1
Piscator - 2
Seanathon - 1
Trixareforkids - 1
Tzara - 1
todski28 - 3

Last edited:
Names have been attached to entries.

Thanks to all for participating.

And for letting me do the comp.

Given that I never got to Trick or Treat as a child ... and ... have resumed living out in the middle of nowhere,

this challenge made 2015 into one of my better Halloween experiences.

:)

Given that I never got to Trick or Treat as a child ... and ... have resumed living out in the middle of nowhere,

Thanks so much for doing this, Mag.

(The Granola Bar poem was a scream BTW)

Yes Mag I'll say again you did a great job with this, kept it low-key and fun and got a great response in return. Thank you! Oh and did you write the cereal killer poem for this challenge? I had to read it three times for every one time I read Butters' uber creepy cat poem...both great writes in really different ways.

Awesome fun, thank you!

Yes Mag I'll say again you did a great job with this, kept it low-key and fun and got a great response in return. Thank you! Oh and did you write the cereal killer poem for this challenge? I had to read it three times for every one time I read Butters' uber creepy cat poem...both great writes in really different ways.

I wish I had spent more than 30 seconds on that. So much more could have been done with it.

It was a fun challenge, Magnetron. Inspired a number of interesting poems, though you seem to have written half of them. (Sorry, that's an exaggeration. You wrote only a quarter of them.:rolleyes:)

It's now November, people. If someone doesn't step up and offer a challenge I might decide to post one on hendecasyllabics, which is a metrical line I am currently struggling to understand. Here's an example from Robert Frost: For Once, Then, Something.

For me, that poem is like write that funky meter, white boy.

But that could just be me.

For the record, I never had hair like that. I definitely had bad hair, just more like Joey Ramone.

It was a fun challenge, Magnetron. Inspired a number of interesting poems, though you seem to have written half of them. (Sorry, that's an exaggeration. You wrote only a quarter of them.:rolleyes:)

It's now November, people. If someone doesn't step up and offer a challenge I might decide to post one on hendecasyllabics, which is a metrical line I am currently struggling to understand. Here's an example from Robert Frost: For Once, Then, Something.

For the record, I never had hair like that. I definitely had bad hair, just more like Joey Ramone.

They need this stuff dumbed down a bit, because as much as Id like to play the wiki link has already confused the shit out of me. Though the frost poem I enjoyed I have no clue what I was looking for that sets it out as a form poem.

They need this stuff dumbed down a bit, because as much as Id like to play the wiki link has already confused the shit out of me. Though the frost poem I enjoyed I have no clue what I was looking for that sets it out as a form poem.
It's a difficult meter to understand, Tod. It is not, as such, a form, as there are no rhyme requirements or line limitations or anything like that. It is, as I understand it, a stressed-based imitation of a ancient Greek durational meter (Greek meter, and Pelegrino is welcome to correct me on this, is based on playing off long and short vowel sounds against each other.) English doesn't really have anything like that, though some poets have tried that in the past, so the pattern was converted to a stressed/unstressed syllable pattern. With limited success, I think.

So think of it as a stress pattern for a line. In this case, Frost's line is a trochee (stressed syllable followed by unstressed syllable), a dactyl (stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables), and three trochees, for eleven syllables total, in a particular stress pattern.

And, yeah, it makes one's head ache. Even harder to write, though.

Just try it.

It's a difficult meter to understand, Tod. It is not, as such, a form, as there are no rhyme requirements or line limitations or anything like that. It is, as I understand it, a stressed-based imitation of a ancient Greek durational meter (Greek meter, and Pelegrino is welcome to correct me on this, is based on playing off long and short vowel sounds against each other.) English doesn't really have anything like that, though some poets have tried that in the past, so the pattern was converted to a stressed/unstressed syllable pattern. With limited success, I think.

So think of it as a stress pattern for a line. In this case, Frost's line is a trochee (stressed syllable followed by unstressed syllable), a dactyl (stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables), and three trochees, for eleven syllables total, in a particular stress pattern.

Just try it.

I'm giving it a go now, don't think I'm getting it right :eek: stresses stress me out :eek:

Great poem, Tzara. Makes me want to read Frost again, the guy who got me interested in all this stuff in the first place.

The striking feature to me was how each line began with a stressed syllable and ended with an unstressed with that distinctive blank verse by Frost that includes some variation eg. "Death of the Hired Man."

I hear that distinctive northern New England cadence, but, as you say, that could just be me.

Just try it.

I'd try the challenge even though I can already see myself falling flat on my face. :)

Re: Hendecasyllabics

I'll try to start a thread on this later today. It seems kind of a complex subject, besides being a difficult meter to write. But it will be a "challenge" rather than a Challenge. More discussion, I hope than simply trying to write poems.

I'll try to start a thread on this later today. It seems kind of a complex subject, besides being a difficult meter to write. But it will be a "challenge" rather than a Challenge. More discussion, I hope than simply trying to write poems.

That sounds great. We can help each other understand.

Just try it.

was that your example? I only count 10 syllables

Back