Is it just me?

RenzaJones said:
... (although I might add that hardly anybody knows what true irony is.)
Hooray! I can hardly keep the concept in mind for more than a few seconds at a time. My all-time irony champion: Lord Byron (and more recently Paul Heaton of The Beautiful South for his lyrics).

Perdita

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamlet's character as a brooding intellectual produces language that is loaded with ironic witticisms, as when he tells his hated stepfather "I am too much in the sun" (punning on "son").

"There are two types of people in this world: Those who are good with words, and those who are, uhm... Err... Thingy."

All right, all right, I confess: I've been known to verb words. (Like that one.) I use "food" as a verb, and as a singular noun, quite often, mostly in honor of that immortal statement from Gauntlet: "Red Wizard shot a food!" And why do I do it? Because I happen to think food is an absurd word to begin with, so why not have some fun and splash it around in contexts that make it seem even more absurd? "I'm going to go food myself"? I mean, honestly. Who invented that word?

And yes, as Calvin put it and Uther Pendragon so thoughtfully reminded us, "Verbing weirds language." But I see it as all part of the wordplay, and part of the adventure of expressing oneself as accurately as possible. Remember when "deposit" was a verb? And then think about how much more convenient it is for bankers that it's now a noun as well. (Or perhaps it went the other way around; I don't know the etymology of "deposit," I'm just drawing that off the top of my head.) If you find a noun that would serve you well as a verb, then go for it; and if there's a verb that would help you if you twitched it over into noun-dom, go for it.

(Just as long as it's understandable. The first time I encountered "sex" as a noun--for instance, "He pressed his hard sex against her soft sex and they had sex"--it confused the hell out of me. "You can't do that! That's a verb!" But gradually I caught on.)

And lets not...

forget the multiplicity of the word "Fuck".

That is afterall, why we are here...lol.

Fuck it.
Fuck her.
I wanna Fuck.
You little fuck.
Fuck me.
Fucking asshole.

I just wish it could be used as an adverb. One more to smoothly add to my collection.

And this is the last fucking thing I have to say about this fucked up topic. ;)

~WOK

Re: And lets not...

wornoutkeyboard said:
To quote MG, "Promises, promises..."

For more on "fuck", see Gauche's thread "My Hallowe'n story was supposed to be amusing but they only have a category for humor".

'night, night, Perdita :eek:

wornoutkeyboard said:

Fuck it.
Fuck her.
I wanna Fuck.
You little fuck.
Fuck me.
Fucking asshole.

I just wish it could be used as an adverb. One more to smoothly add to my collection.

~WOK

How to use Fuck as a meaningful word

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colorful words in the English language today is the word "fuck." It is the one magical word which, just by its sound, can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate. In language, "fuck" falls into many grammatical categories. It can be used as a verb, both transitive (John fucked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fucked by John). It can be an action verb (John really gives a fuck), a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a fuck), an adverb (Mary is fucking interested in John), or as a noun (Mary is a terrific fuck). It can also be used as an adjective (Mary is fucking beautiful) or an interjection (Fuck! I'm late for my date with Mary). It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy but, fuck, she's also stupid). As you can see, there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word "fuck."

Aside from its sexual connotations, this word can be used to describe many situations:

1. Aggression: Fuck you!
  2. Agreement: Fucking-ay right!
  3. Amazement: Fucking shit!
  4. Annoyance: Don't fuck with me.
  5. Apathy: Who really gives a fuck, anyhow?
  6. Benevolence: Don't do me any fucking favors.
  7. Command: Go fuck yourself!
  8. Confusion: What the fuck?
  9. Denial: I didn't fucking do it.
  10. Despair: Fucked again.
  11. Difficulty: I don't understand this fucking thing.
  12. Directions: Fuck off.
  13. Disbelief: Unfuckingbelievable!
  14. Dismay: Oh, fuck it!
  15. Displeasure: What the fuck is going on here?
  16. Encouragement: Keep on fucking.
  17. Etiquette: Pass the fucking salt!
  18. Fraud: I got fucked.
  19. Greetings: How the fuck are ya?
  20. Hatred of chemistry: Thermofuckingdynamics.
  21. Identification: Who the fuck are you?
  22. Ignorance: He's such a fuck head.
  23. Incompetence: He's a fuck up.
  24. Insight: You're out of your fucking mind!
  25. Laziness: He's a fuck off.
  26. Lost: Where the fuck are we?
  27. Panic: Let's get the fuck out of here.
  28. Passive: Fuck me!
  29. Perplexity: I fucking know all about it.
  30. Philosophical: Who gives a fuck?
  31. Pleasure: I couldn't be any fucking happier!
  32. Question: You ain't fucking me?
  33. Rebellion: Fuck the world!
  34. Resignation: Oh, fuck it!
  35. Retaliation: Up your fucking ass!
  36. Suspicion: Who the fuck are you?
  37. Trouble: I guess I'm fucked now.
  38. Ugliness: You're a dumb looking fuck.
  39. Wisdom: Fuck that shit!
  40. Wonder: How the fuck did you do that?
    [/list=1]

Last edited:

wornoutkeyboard said:

Fuck it.
Fuck her.
I wanna Fuck.
You little fuck.
Fuck me.
Fucking asshole.

~WOK
An ex-workmate of mine once managed verb, adjective and noun in the same four word sentence, with 'The fucking fucker's fucked.'

As the originator of this topic thank you everyone for the contributions and if anyone wants to add more, have at it! I try to keep an open mind on language but 'agented' still jars.

Alex

perdita said:
Hey, kylewhitney. Welcome to the AH. Nearly no one is a zealot here, sorry if that's how you read it. Still disagree w/your logic but no big. (Have to add though - I love Steve Martin as a comic but using him as an example for your argument really doesn't go far.)

Hang about longer and you'll get our various styles of communicating, which is the basic purpose of this site. We try to have fun too, honest.

regards, Perdita :)

Thanks for the welcome (unless it was sarcastic) :)

I was using a form of zealot (pronounced zee-a-lot) that I recently invented, which means "funloving folks hanging out in an online forum." Not many people are familiar with this new usage yet, so I forgive you for misunderstanding.

I do intend to hang about longer so I can get the various styles of communicating. For instance I've already learned that a good way to debate an issue is to simple dismiss someone's points and offer no explaination or counterpoint. See I'm learning! :D

As for lose vs. loose and waist vs. waste, I thought we were talking about using new words in new ways, not typos and usage mistakes. This sort of thing will be cleared up as soon as our computers get smarter. Won't that be cool when we don't have to worry about all the persnickety little things like who and whom or weather and whether? Let the machines deal with the technical crap and let us use our brains for the fun stuff.

Originally posted by RenzaJones
(although I might add that hardly anybody knows what true irony is.)

Isn't that ironic?

Nothin' but love,
- K

kylewhitney said:

As for lose vs. loose and waist vs. waste, I thought we were talking about using new words in new ways, not typos and usage mistakes. This sort of thing will be cleared up as soon as our computers get smarter. Won't that be cool when we don't have to worry about all the persnickety little things like who and whom or weather and whether? Let the machines deal with the technical crap and let us use our brains for the fun stuff.
I do so love an optimist!

Alex

who has worked with computers since 1966 yet still actually likes the damn' things

kylewhitney said:

(although I might add that hardly anybody knows what true irony is.)

Isn't that ironic?
- K

Erm. No. Not really. That comes under the general heading: Shit Happens.

Gauche

gauchecritic said:
Erm. No. Not really. That comes under the general heading: Shit Happens.
Ah, ha ha! Just like my knicker's have writ (well, only one pair):

Shit Happens is NOT Irony

Purr :p

wornoutkeyboard said:
[...]I just wish it could be used as an adverb. One more to smoothly add to my collection.
[...]~WOK
He was fuckingly fucked as he fucked the fuckish fucker. Holy fuck!

The only irony in this whole flipping conversation would be if Kw actually did know that the previous statement wasn't at all ironical(best punctuated by a roll of the eyes.) but he called it irony anyway just to be ironic:D

Last edited:
This is off-topic, but since this thread is already filled with brilliant folks (and I'm too lazy to start a new thread), I'll posit my query here.

Where does the recent directive for dropping the last comma in a list come from? I constantly see: "I inserted a vibrator, love beads and a G.I. Joe action figure in my pussy." Instead of: "I inserted a vibrator, love beads, and a G.I. Joe action figure in my pussy."

Is my Elements of Style and Chicago Style guide just out of date?

-K

Back