Karaoke Story Event - Official Support Thread

I never heard of Wolf Alice until you started mentioning them. So thank you! They're great.

I've only listened to Swallowtail and Your Loves Whore so far, so I don't know about all this thematic mismatch business. I just know I absolutely love both songs. Now to listen to more...
If you love Swallowtail, you will be blown away by their good songs 😊.

Em

So I just put ST on a couple times just to be sure in my (memory) assumptions.

What a damn mess. 🤣

As I remembered, very common language. In and of itself, not a problem. Ellie does it plenty, but she usually shapes it contextually and/or through tone. ST is just "there."

That makes repetition particularly insidious.

And that peel out/bad contrasty/aggressive out of nowhere buzzsaw ending? Just why?

I'm comfortable in calling it a below average song looking worse by its esteemed company.
I’ve made physical contact with Ellie 😊.

She was heading rapidly to the bar after a pub gig and bumped into me. I like to tell myself it was on purpose, but really I was between her and alcohol (or maybe a refreshing isotonic beverage).

She’s rather tall.

Em

Mentions of singers named Ellie makes me recall Ellie Goulding. She has sang multiple great love songs. Ignore the ugly 50 Shades movie one was featured in, your story can for sure honor the music better. Love Me Like You Do, Lights, Under The Sheets… these are great tunes.

Also listening to the Balder’s Gate 3 soundtrack right now. Lots of inspiration there.

@djrip - I can’t speak for guys, but Ellie as a songwriter and vocalist connects with me. She embodies the mix of almost brazen confidence and underlying self-doubt that many younger (thirty something or less) women will recognize. She has strength and brittleness and she applies a razor sharp intellect to convey her lived experience and - for want of a better word - heart to articulate what feels like common / shared emotions.

I’m not saying that guys don’t have the same dichotomy, maybe it’s universal. But she resonates with me. She sings about herself, but it feels like it’s about you as well. That transcends national borders. Or at least the Atlantic.

I don’t know if that is the same for guy fans, @Euphony may be able to comment.

Em

@djrip - I can’t speak for guys, but Ellie as a songwriter and vocalist connects with me. She embodies the mix of almost brazen confidence and underlying self-doubt that many younger (thirty something or less) women will recognize. She has strength and brittleness and she applies a razor sharp intellect to convey her lived experience and - for want of a better word - heart to articulate what feels like common / shared emotions.

I’m not saying that guys don’t have the same dichotomy, maybe it’s universal. But she resonates with me. She sings about herself, but it feels like it’s about you as well. That transcends national borders. Or at least the Atlantic.

Em
Silk is my favorite so far. I think guys have self doubt sometimes too 🤫

I see what you mean about resonating. It's really good and poetic.

Silk is my favorite so far. I think guys have self doubt sometimes too 🤫

I see what you mean about resonating. It's really good and poetic.
Fluffy live in a pub with an audience of maybe 200 is pretty incredible.

Em

Em
Empathy and the universal human condition are plenty enough of an in for most to gain insight/benefit across genders (and sexualities.)

I've always gravitated towards words, narrative painting, and similar and while not certainly exclusive to female creativities, societal norms and emotional intelligence averages push probability in their direction and that shades what I consume.

Writing has had an interesting effect on my musical tastes. I still need a good, raw, anger fest from time to time but I lose interest far quicker if there's not much narrative beyond that.

Same holds true for "look at me" art. Challenge me or change me in some way and you'll have me at rapt attention far beyond what a clever beat or new take of what is essentially chest thumping.

Ok, I have a story almost completed that with a little tweaking and a new title will fit the bill nicely.

Consider me in.

'Some Guys Have All the Luck' by The Persuaders, Rod Stewart, Robert Palmer et al. It will go in the Mature category.

Cheers

BS

In another of what is turning out to be a series of firsts, I have my first joint challenge/contest entry since it fits the rules for the Halloween contest, too.

If nothing else, it was definitely a learning experience...

https://literotica.com/s/passion-hollywood-nights

“Passion- Hollywood Nights” is published ahead of the rush that will surely come for the Karaoke Event over the next two weeks. Hope readers enjoy.

I may get something else out too, within the bounds of the actual event, but life challenges outside this site will probably prevent that. Hope I’ve given people enough ideas.

If you would like to share with me your intent to enter, drop your chosen song title in the thread below or send me a PM and I'll add it here.

@seraph_nocturne - Closer - Nine Inch Nails
@seraph_nocturne - Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
@djrip - New Rules - Dua Lipa
@Fatdog25 - Devil Woman - Cliff Richard
@Jackie.O.Hikaru - Yellow - Coldplay
@SimonDoom - Don't Stand So Close To Me - Police
@Altissimus - I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that) - Meatloaf
@Altissimus - Who Knew - Pink
@Rob_Royale - Let's Pretend We're Married - Prince and the Revolution.
@Constories - Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
@Daddysgirlfl - He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
@MediocreAuthor - Cupid - Fifty Fifty
@Erozetta - Cranky Moon - Sam Shelton
@Erozetta - How Villains are Made - Madalen Duke.
@YDB95 - Remember When We Were Just Friends - Annie Bauerlein
@YDB95 - Breakfast in Bed - Dusty Springfield
@THoney269 - TBC
@Trionyx - You’re Gonna Love Yourself in the Morning - Kris Kristofferson
@NoTalentHack - Sweet Unknown - The Hope Blister
@Devinter - Hollow Talk - Choir of Young Believers
@BarracudaSwordfish - Some Guys Have All the Luck - The Persuaders
I’m feeling left out ☹️

So are people generally doing things like leading with a lyric except? Or putting notes about the story being for the event and based on the song by so and so? Or just let the title connect them?

I've made a lot of progress in the last few days. Closing in on 6000 words, and I expect it to finish around 10,000. It's an easy story to write because the song title and lyrics (Don't Stand So Close To Me) provide an outline and ideas for the characters and plot.

I've made a lot of progress in the last few days. Closing in on 6000 words, and I expect it to finish around 10,000. It's an easy story to write because the song title and lyrics (Don't Stand So Close To Me) provide an outline and ideas for the characters and plot.
“Hollywood Nights” was similar. It was a welcome coincidence that my favorite celebrity couple fit the song’s plot perfectly except for its ending (which sucked anyway so I’m glad to make a fanfic writer’s choice and alter it). And for the record, they’re the same couple I planned to use first time I posted on this thread.

So are people generally doing things like leading with a lyric except? Or putting notes about the story being for the event and based on the song by so and so? Or just let the title connect them?
My author's notes for 'Who Knew':

This one is for the Karaoke Challenge. The principle is that the story (broadly) matches the song, and shares the same title. For that reason, if you don’t know the song you might want to skip this one. And if you do know the song… you’ll know whether or not you want to skip this one.

I have lyrics (and copyright acknowledgment) up front and a couple of sentences about my relation to the song / band.

Em

If you would like to share with me your intent to enter, drop your chosen song title in the thread below or send me a PM and I'll add it here.

@seraph_nocturne - Closer - Nine Inch Nails
@seraph_nocturne - Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
@djrip - New Rules - Dua Lipa
@Fatdog25 - Devil Woman - Cliff Richard
@Jackie.O.Hikaru - Yellow - Coldplay
@SimonDoom - Don't Stand So Close To Me - Police
@Altissimus - I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that) - Meatloaf
@Altissimus - Who Knew - Pink
@Rob_Royale - Let's Pretend We're Married - Prince and the Revolution.
@Constories - Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
@Daddysgirlfl - He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
@MediocreAuthor - Cupid - Fifty Fifty
@Erozetta - Cranky Moon - Sam Shelton
@Erozetta - How Villains are Made - Madalen Duke.
@YDB95 - Remember When We Were Just Friends - Annie Bauerlein
@YDB95 - Breakfast in Bed - Dusty Springfield
@THoney269 - TBC
@Trionyx - You’re Gonna Love Yourself in the Morning - Kris Kristofferson
@NoTalentHack - Sweet Unknown - The Hope Blister
@Devinter - Hollow Talk - Choir of Young Believers
@BarracudaSwordfish - Some Guys Have All the Luck - The Persuaders
@EmilyMiller - Your Love's War - Wolf Alice
Psst - whore not war 😊

I'm a little disappointed no one picked Smooth Criminal to cross-post for this and the Crime and Punishment contest. (Or would that be cheating?)

I'm posting this thread to officially kick off the "Karaoke" Story Event. Laurel will be creating the Event Page shortly - and submissions can be sent in between September 25th and October 8th, with a Tuesday October 10th Go Live Date. That's over 80 days - plenty of time!

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the 2023 "Karaoke" Story Event. If you have questions, post them here and someone will answer. It might be me, it might be someone else here but don't be shy. Ask.

If you're a first time writer, or this is the first time you're putting a story in to an "Event" on Literotica, hey, don't get stressed about it. You don't have to have written anything before to write for this event. This isn’t a “by invitation only” event. This is not a competition. There's no scores, no prizes.

Just writing for fun with a bunch of other writers doing the same thing. If you're not sure about what to do, how to submit your story, anything at all in fact, just ask here. We've all been there and we're a bunch of very helpful people and we like to pass it on.

So, without further ado, are you interested in writing a story for the “Karaoke” Literotica Story Event? Get started! First time writers and veteran Literoticans alike are all invited and encouraged to participate. Post the name of your story here so we can all see it and I'll keep a running list going in this thread.

The Rules are actually really simple

Pick a song and write a story that uses the title of that song, and, inasmuch as is possible, reflects the content of that song.

Min 750 words, normal Lit general rules.

Illustrative examples:
  • First Time - Crush (Jennifer Paige) - Professor has hots for a student.
  • Gay Male - Born This Way (Lady Gaga) - Man fights for his right to be who he wants to be
  • Fetish - These Boots are Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra) - Femdom foot fun.
  • Loving Wives - Bitch (Meredith Brooks) - wife is a goddess on her knees, likes to prove it to anyone with an interest
  • NonConsent/Reluctance - Every Breath You Take (Police) - Stalker gets a bit creepy with the girl of his dreams
  • Reviews and Essays - Cannon in D (Pachelbel) - Why Pachelbel's Cannon sucks for cellos
  • Incest/Taboo - We are family (I've got all my sisters with me) (Sister Sledge) - this... doesn't need an explanation.
...etc.

1. The story title has to be “[Your Chosen Song Here]” (so, using above examples, "Crush" or "Every Breath You Take" etc)
2. The spirit of the event is to then craft your story around the words, meaning or message of the song - but the degree to which you do this is up to you.
4. Any subject, any category, any length you like.
5. Author must copy and paste the phrase "Karaoke Story Event" in the "Notes" field of the submission. We recommend that you COPY & PASTE it into the NOTES field to avoid typos.
6. Please use “Karaoke” as a story tag.
7. All entries to be submitted by 11:59pm, Thursday October 5th - with a Go Live Date of Tuesday October 10th. You can submit any time between September 25th and October 5th. All stories will be posted on Tuesday October 10th

That’s it.

So what are you waiting for?! Get started!

Happy writing/singing,

Altissimus
I know it’s not normal on Lit and also that it could result in dead links with the volatility of YT, but could we maybe ask to embed a video at the beginning. Probably Laurel and Manu will be concerned about copyright. But just an idea.

Em

Back