Karaoke Story Event - Official Support Thread

Hi Altissimus. My humble 'Here Comes the Bride' was published on 26 September 2023, labelled 'Category-undefined-name' in Categories.
Wouldn't want some Snowflake to open it by mistake! I had labeled it as a "Fetish" and no doubt it is, it's about a chastity cage.
Sorry to bother you but I wouldn't want to épater les bourgeois ... unnecessarily.
I didn't quite follow this, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I expect Laurel will sort it in time.

To be fair, one of mine was already like 80% written when I started. The other three are all under 15k words each, so short things I pulled off in a day or two. The two I submitted are the shortest. One is like 3.5k words, the other closer to 6.5k maybe?

One was written about a week or two ago as payment for a song.

And 90% of my stories already have some tie in to a song/titled with a song... I was fucking prepared for an event like this.
Don't sell yourself short. Fortuitous "event" or no, you did the work which is where the real efforts (and accompanying kudos) lie. 👏

Me, I got 99 problems and damn it if inertia ain't 1... through 99. 😜

inertia.jpeg

Last edited:
I submitted mine but it published today, I was pretty sure I did everything right in terms of tagging the competition etc...

*** UPDATE ***

Laurel has confirmed that stories published in advance of 10th October were published in error, and all stories published with the Karaoke event tag will be pulled, and re-published on the 10th.

There's been a lot of activity on this thread of late and work has been hell, so if I've missed tagging people to post #2 (list of entries) and you've confirmed you're in and you'd like your name added, please reply quoting this post - or ping me a Conversation message - with:
[Your Name] - [Your Song Title] - [Your Song's Artist]

...and I'll get it all updated.

Apologies for being behind the curve :)

*** UPDATE ***

Laurel has confirmed that stories published in advance of 10th October were published in error, and all stories published with the Karaoke event tag will be pulled, and re-published on the 10th.
Yep, thanks and thanks to Laurel also! My story is back in pending.

There's been a lot of activity on this thread of late and work has been hell, so if I've missed tagging people to post #2 (list of entries) and you've confirmed you're in and you'd like your name added, please reply quoting this post - or ping me a Conversation message - with:

You’ve been doing a great job, hun.

Must be a lot of work.

Em

I had mine sent back.

I was all ready to get indignant and it was just about lyric formatting. I decided that including them was unnecessary / distracting, so resubmitted without.

Em
I had one sent back for the same reason a few years ago.

The real pisser was, I wrote the lyrics myself 🙃

I had mine sent back.

I was all ready to get indignant and it was just about lyric formatting. I decided that including them was unnecessary / distracting, so resubmitted without.

Em

I had the same thing happen with mine. Something about needing to use 'Linebreaks for song lyrics'. Then I did that, but added them incorrectly (I started a new line for each linebreak added, which was not the correct way to do it apparently..) so it got sent back again just an hour or two ago. Thankfully I then figured out the problem - I THINK - so hopefully it won't get rejected a third time. I feel bad for making the moderators / Laurel work extra though. Hope it was just a bot that caught it.

I had the same thing happen with mine. Something about needing to use 'Linebreaks for song lyrics'. Then I did that, but added them incorrectly (I started a new line for each linebreak added, which was not the correct way to do it apparently..) so it got sent back again just an hour or two ago. Thankfully I then figured out the problem - I THINK - so hopefully it won't get rejected a third time. I feel bad for making the moderators / Laurel work extra though. Hope it was just a bot that caught it.
I understood the issue. They map new line to <p></p> so the lyrics get spaced out vertically. If you use <br> with no new line, it’s fine, I just reflected that I didn’t really need the lyrics.

Em

I’m working on one right now. Anyone know a good tune for two lesbian college roommates, one confirmed bisexual and one very bi-curious but only been all the way with guys so far, came out prior to autumn 1996? Honestly taking suggestions. I’ll publish outside the event dates if I must. FMC 1, the seducer, is more experienced but trembling in the face of FMC 2, a self diagnosed nymphomaniac who wants her encounters to be as pleasurable as possible (she knows what she is and is fine with it, just wants to stay comfortable with it and make others the same, she’s out and proud, but not too bold). Both characters are original creations of mine. Lesbian story. More details on demand.

Edit- using “I Want You” by Savage Garden. Still appreciate other suggestions if any.

Last edited:
To be fair, one of mine was already like 80% written when I started. The other three are all under 15k words each, so short things I pulled off in a day or two. The two I submitted are the shortest. One is like 3.5k words, the other closer to 6.5k maybe?

One was written about a week or two ago as payment for a song.

And 90% of my stories already have some tie in to a song/titled with a song... I was fucking prepared for an event like this.
It begs the question, just how much engagement does this particular event concept have to reach in order to repeat? (you certainly did more than your part)

Life circumstances made it impossible for me RN but it's one of the most universal events I've seen. (though I, like you, revolve around music so much perhaps I am biased in my assessment)

Will be fascinating to see even stuck as an observer.

I'm seriously doing this! I'm already 5k words in and I plan to have a story in by this weekend.

Kabba118 - Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band

Thanks so much for organizing this!

It begs the question, just how much engagement does this particular event concept have to reach in order to repeat?

I'm hoping it repeats.

I had absolutely zero intent of repeating this thing. There's already frequent comments complaining how many Author-organised Challenges we have.

But, at the last count, we have 26 entries listed for this challenge. That's... pretty good, right?

So I guess we'll see.

(I mean... obviously I'm much more likely to repeat the event if my contributions get loads of high scores and nice comments... jus' sayin'.)

First draft of “I Want You” complete. Will sleep on it, see how it looks tomorrow, then submit when ready.

Hope this story does better than previous related works.

First draft of “I Want You” complete. Will sleep on it, see how it looks tomorrow, then submit when ready.

Hope this story does better than previous related works.
Should I be adding this to the list then...?

You've made so many suggestions of songs that could be used that I was beginning to ignore your posts ;)

I think the complaint about author challenges is misguided. Most of the challenges that are going have zero appeal for me and I'm sure others feel similarly about this one. The whole point of them should be to provide variety in submissions and attracting different authors to them so it's not all the same old rehashed stuff. Themes help with that and the author challenges are all about themes and adhering to deadlines, both great skills for writers to hone.

Having a variety of challenges is a good thing, in my opinion.
I agree. No one is forcing anyone to enter anything.

I think much of the complaint is that events delay 'other' publications.

Should I be adding this to the list then...?

You've made so many suggestions of songs that could be used that I was beginning to ignore your posts ;)
[eye roll]

If you must. But I may want this story to go live before Double 10. I’m an impatient man.

Yes! And I still have more songs I want to do and will do regardless of this event repeating or not because I've kinda always done this, lol.

The other two I submitted are "I'll Stand by You" - The Pretenders and "She Don't Want the World" - 3 Doors Down

Your passion for this event really shows, and it's incredibly inspiring. Thank you for that.

I agree with you regarding that having a variety of challenges is a good thing. They motivate me to try new things, and if there's more events to choose from, then that means I can pick and choose the ones that interest me the most. Unlike many other author's, I have actually never found much of my inspiration in music, at least not in the lyrics and story they're telling, and struggled immensely with this event - but that was part of the fun!

My only wish was that we could have linked the songs as a YouTube link or something at the start of the story, but I understand that could be a nightmare for the website. But the song I picked isn't very well-known, and thus there's a bunch of readers that will have to go listen to it first, if they can be bothered. I suspect a lot of people will simply click out of the story and move on to something else rather than do so. :(

Furthermore, the song I really wanted to use was even more obscure - so much that without a link, people probably wouldn't find it easily, as it's from a video game. But it's beautiful, and I intend to still write a story based on it outside of the event fairly soon. I would never have gotten that idea if it wasn't for challenges like this! So many thanks to @Altissimus ! (Link below if anyone's interested in the song.)

Another great video game song that could inspire this thread- “Snake Eater” from Metal Gear Solid 3. Feature Oral Sex, put in category of choice.

Another great video game song that could inspire this thread- “Snake Eater” from Metal Gear Solid 3. Feature Oral Sex, put in category of choice.

Snake Eater is a musical masterpiece. I raise my glass to you, sir - you have fine taste. But once again, it's not a song that is particularly well known which I think could be a problem if you're trying to connect with your readers.

Just listened to your song, excited to read the story you put to that.

I'm afraid that my contribution to this event is nothing but hardcore smut. Haha. I have moments where I create something beautiful, or something that tugs at your heart string a little bit, or even something that evokes strong emotions such as sadness or anger - but a lot of my work, unfortunately, is nothing but perversions and 'strokers'. Hollow Talk is certainly not going to be my best creation - it's about a son screwing his mother. :oops:

Back