Karaoke Story Event - Official Support Thread

I know it’s not normal on Lit and also that it could result in dead links with the volatility of YT, but could we maybe ask to embed a video at the beginning. Probably Laurel and Manu will be concerned about copyright. But just an idea.

Em

This is why I went with the whole song/album/artist naming blurb at the beginning. They can check out the YT video (if there is one...) or their favorite streaming provider if they're not familiar with the song on their own, if they choose.

The song I chose is over 45 years old...I never looked for a video. I know it's on Pandora.

This is why I went with the whole song/album/artist naming blurb at the beginning. They can check out the YT video (if there is one...) or their favorite streaming provider if they're not familiar with the song on their own, if they choose.

The song I chose is over 45 years old...I never looked for a video. I know it's on Pandora.
In this "age of access," I'm of the thinking there's less "can't" find its and more "don't want to."

I can see wanting to go into the experience without preconceived notions (especially from a multimedia take by the original artist)

I'm interested to see how exposure through Lit will differ from coming across some of these things myself.

A few questions from a new person.

Can we submit before Sep. 25th?
What is the preferred method to format and imbed lyrics?

Listening to “Don’t Fear the Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult. This song would fit a Non-Human story well. Cast a Reaper similar to Neil Gaiman’s Death or Brad Pitt’s Joe Black characters for maximum sexiness.

Later tonight I plan to hear Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield”. That fits Romance well.

A few questions from a new person.

Can we submit before Sep. 25th?
What is the preferred method to format and imbed lyrics?
Just take your story out of the official Event submission queue if it’s ready sooner than Sep 25 or later than when the Event concludes. “Hollywood Nights” was submitted three days ago and got published today. Lyrics are woven into the story throughout with lines like “staring down at the lights of LA” and “diamonds and frills”. The latter method was what I used for “Hollywood Nights”. Having characters filk karaoke was another method I used in “Ruleskirter”, which was in part inspired by this thread. There is no official preferred way to incorporate lyrics as far as I know.

I was going to comment on the songwriters of America and England being the most litigious buggers to any copyright violators. But, I won't. The odds one of them reads the story is slim. But should they :eek: !!!

Just saw Pat Benatar live in concert. “Heartbreaker” is another good song from her. You can pick the category.

“Like a Rolling Stone,” Bob Dylan and my Irish Bartender is done, and I'll submit tomorrow.

It's a short ROMANCE story about a moment when Mr. Dylan pushed a lonely traveler to take more risks. I've been kicking this story around my head for about a decade. Was nice to have an excuse to put it in print.

Writing a dub-con novel made me appreciate tenderness.

I was worried about making the deadline, but it kinda flowed. Just submitted today.

Not the most uplifting of stories, it has to be said, but I’m glad I wrote it.

Em

I was worried about making the deadline, but it kinda flowed. Just submitted today.

Not the most uplifting of stories, it has to be said, but I’m glad I wrote it.

Em
Sometimes it’s like that for me.

Still nothing working through my brain here, but a few possibilities include-

“Superfreak” Rick James. Group Sex.

“Talking in your Sleep” The Romantics. Could go Romance but Incest works also.

“Fastest Girl in Town” Miranda Lambert. This can work for a quick hot EC or Lesbian story.

“Like a Virgin” Madonna. This can do First Time, of course.

Last edited:
I do believe there are going to be numerous sad stories for this event.

I actually wrote about 80% of a story for "Lovefool" by the Cardigans but it turned out so depressing I had to put it aside. Maybe I can rewrite it and make it a touch less tragic for next year's event. Or maybe it will remain in the void of unfinished stories where it belongs. Time will tell.

Tragedies have some staying power and can set off powerful emotions in people.

I expect to get a few nasty comments on mine and, personally, I'm looking forward to that.
I'm also expecting a 50:50 split between 5s and 1s on mine.

Why do we do this again?

I literally just found out about this as I was hopping on Lit.... and now I want to do it!
Question... can I write a brand new short story in less than a week? We shall see... ;)

Crash Into Me: Dave Mathews Band

I submitted mine but it published today, I was pretty sure I did everything right in terms of tagging the competition etc...

Does the story have to be a standalone?
I just got hit with an idea for a story based on my song choice, but it's a follow up to another story I just published 😢

Does the story have to be a standalone?
I just got hit with an idea for a story based on my song choice, but it's a follow up to another story I just published 😢
I see nothing that says it does.

You may limit your engagement a little but this isn't a full blown contest so novelty for motivation is a tradeoff worth making.

In a way, with the contest parameters, we're ALL continuing a previous narrative so...

🤣

Hi Altissimus. My humble 'Here Comes the Bride' was published on 26 September 2023, labelled 'Category-undefined-name' in Categories.
Wouldn't want some Snowflake to open it by mistake! I had labeled it as a "Fetish" and no doubt it is, it's about a chastity cage.
Sorry to bother you but I wouldn't want to épater les bourgeois ... unnecessarily.

Just came across this event, great idea. My first thought would be a C&W song, so many of them tell a good story. Might challenge myself and do something based on Anarchy in the UK or a bit of realism with Too Drunk to Fuck by the Dead Kennedys, :sneaky:

I've got two submitted. Short ones. Not the ones I signed up for, those I'm still working on...

Submitted:
She Don't Want The World - 3 Doors Down.
I'll Stand By You - The Pretenders.

Will Submit:
How Villains are Made - Madalen Duke
Cranky Moon - Sam Shelton
I think I speak on behalf of all the procrastinators here when I say...

c3e (1).jpg

(congrats on getting things done. 👏 I'm sure one day I will too. Then immediately drop dead b/c that's my life.)

Back