NaNoWriMo 2003

perdita said:
< . . . some snipping . . . >

A special thanks now to lovely Loulou for introducing this project, to the admirable AlexDK for seducing me into it, and to an anonymous mate for knowing me as well as necessary to provide a renewed and painless self examen ( :kiss: ).

Perdita
Hey, don't go blaming me - I only picked up on Lou's enthusiasm :D - but I'm glad, really glad, you're with us. This is the only sort of seduction my wife :heart: would let me get away with!

Alex

Re: Phrases

destinie21 said:
I wanted to ask a question about phrases. Here's the explanation, When I was much younger my mother used to say things like If you don't You'd better. an example being" If you don't clean up your room you'd better." The tone of her nonsensical statement let me know I was in trouble despite the my lack of understanding the actual phrase.

There were other phrases that were common in my childhood such as

I'm tired / hungry fed up (anything would apparently do) as a don'tknowwhat. (the phrase was actually said with the words run together at the end.)

My question is if those phrases could be used in a story and be understood. I'm part of the Nano thing and I was toying with the idea of the such pharases appearing in my story to lay out the dynamics of relationships as well as the character personalities.
This is also a valid question for the lit as far as I'm concerned.

I think they're valid for use as dialgue, Mrs D, although obviously, I'd be careful about where I used them - But you already said you wanted to use them to define personality and inter-character relationships, and I would think that'd be fine.

destinie21 said
My question is if those phrases could be used in a story and be understood. I'm part of the Nano thing and I was toying with the idea of the such pharases appearing in my story to lay out the dynamics of relationships as well as the character personalities.
This is also a valid question for the lit as far as I'm concerned.

des,

use them!

Worry about it when you're finished and it's time to edit.

Alex

Alex De Kok said:

des,

use them!

Worry about it when you're finished and it's time to edit.

Yep, I agree. And, as Raphy said, they will also go along way to building on characterization.

Lou

Here's a quote that I think is appropriate for NaNoWriMo and will probably become my new sig line :D :

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
-W. Somerset Maugham

I truly hope that everyone enjoys every moment of their participation in NaNoWriMo, and I'm very grateful to Tate for bringing in a group of talented and motivated individuals to the challenge.

-Mike B.

Well, I've spent all day so far idly browsing the NaNo boards, and I have to admit, I'm amazed at the number of badly written, badly typed, badly spelt posts there are...

I tell ya, I would've expected more from a buncha writers trying to make 50k words in a month.

Raph, in anal retentive mode, apparently ;)

Raff, where were you surfing? I was in the lit. fiction section and was very impressed by the posts. I suppose that makes sense given the interest.

Stick w/your lit pals, mate. 'dita
---------------------

Louloumine: of course I have room, I said I had a king-size bed, eh? Wink wink :p

Purrditta :kiss:

:)

*hugs* 'dita ..

Don't remember where I was. I think it was in the 'Other' category - The section for people who's stories don't really fit into any genre.

raphy said:
I think it was in the 'Other' category - The section for people who's stories don't really fit into any genre.
Case closed. Stay closer to home, kiddo.

hugs back, 'dita

Holy cow! I just read about this!

And how cool to know that some Litizens are rising to the challenge!

Re: Holy cow! I just read about this!

Violette said:
And how cool to know that some Litizens are rising to the challenge!
Always room for another . . .

Alex

Re: Re: Holy cow! I just read about this!

Alex De Kok said:
Always room for another . . .
Alex, luv, you just can't control yourself, eh? ;)

Perdita :rose:

otherdarkmeat said:
Here's a quote that I think is appropriate for NaNoWriMo and will probably become my new sig line :D :

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
-W. Somerset Maugham

I truly hope that everyone enjoys every moment of their participation in NaNoWriMo, and I'm very grateful to Tate for bringing in a group of talented and motivated individuals to the challenge.

-Mike B.

Mikey-Baby!

Great quote, it made me feel a whole lot better.

Thanks for that, and as you know, it was my pleasure. Thank YOU for introducing me to the wierd and wonderful world of NaNo. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't be doing it!

Tate ;):devil:

perdita said:
Louloumine: of course I have room, I said I had a king-size bed, eh? Wink wink :p

Purrditta :kiss:

Goodie! Just letting Ad know I'll be A.W.O.L. for a while. :D

Loulou :kiss:

Ps. Violette, listen to Alex, he's right. ;)

raphy said:
Well, I've spent all day so far idly browsing the NaNo boards, and I have to admit, I'm amazed at the number of badly written, badly typed, badly spelt posts there are...

I tell ya, I would've expected more from a buncha writers trying to make 50k words in a month.

Raph, in anal retentive mode, apparently ;)
So? I for one firmly intend to not spell one of my 50000 words correctly.

Editing will then take until nevt NaNoWriMo. I need stuff to do.

*holds hands over ears*
naa-nanaa-nanaa-naa

What was that? Did someone say something?

:nana::nana:

You asked for 'em. :p

Oh, look, there's two, that makes 'em TWIN nanas. :D

Icingsugar said:
Sugar, breathe deeply. And bear in mind: no mum on this board is going to let you get away with anything re. your pending two chapters.

with guarded compassion,

Perdita ;)

So, if I posted here tomorrow that I "left the biyatch to take care of them critters alone", I'd be in a world of pain?

Not that that's ever gonna happen, just asking. :rose:

Icingsugar said:
So, if I posted here tomorrow that I "left the biyatch to take care of them critters alone", I'd be in a world of pain?

Guess who's sleeping on the couch tonight?

Icingsugar said:

The biyatch would bring on the blow-torch, that's what. :D

-Lin

I'm excited - meeting SF NaNo's tomw. afternoon at a cafe only 6 blocks from my flat. Yay! Wish you all could be there.

Perdita (firmly committed after tomw., haha)

Back