new poems

eagleyez said:

(parent of young readers here)

Ditto here. I am taking a break from redoing my bookshelves. Really sucks when you buy so many books you run out of room...:D

Looking at my older son's bookshelf in his room. Lets see what he "borrowed" I see, TS Eliot, Hess, Dickens, Dumas, Poe, Hemingway, ee cummings, F. Scott Fitzgerald. Hmmm. Maybe I better buy another bookcase and steal them back...

The_Fool said:
Ditto here. I am taking a break from redoing my bookshelves. Really sucks when you buy so many books you run out of room...:D

Looking at my older son's bookshelf in his room. Lets see what he "borrowed" I see, TS Eliot, Hess, Dickens, Dumas, Poe, Hemingway, ee cummings, F. Scott Fitzgerald. Hmmm. Maybe I better buy another bookcase and steal them back...

:D

funny i need to gather up some books too- last one to disappear was collected poems Oscar Wilde-

boys- sheesh

One more from 13:th December

I just realised that noone have mentioned this gem:

If I were a child... by echoes_s.

The almost non-existent spacing of pharagraphs and stanzas may be a bit annoying, but look past that and the text itself is wonderful.

If I were a child I would paint a ray of the sun and still wet, put it in your pocket so you would have a beautiful day

[...]

Made me remeber how children sometimes think...

New Poems on 12/14/03

There are 28 new submissions on this Sunday, and I bring one "spinner" as always.

For today's Goldie I present, after just three spins on Monday, a poem originally from 1995. One appropriate for last weekend's weather and a recent thread: winter by Senna Jawa.
winter--i stay in
i wish it would snow
in my apartment
Oh, and bye-the-bye Senna, I have never been forced to say that I like your poetry. I even admit openly and gladly that I have learned from your style and work. It is just your general attitude to the people here that I often don't like very much. That and your apparent belief that your approach to, and views on, poetry are the only possible ones. :rose:

On to new poetry.
Angeline starts the day with Ten Ways of Falling. She has recently upped her poetry a sizable measure and is presently exercising literary muscle, and body-building her work. This is a good one to start off your Sunday read. :rose:
IX
I hear rivers of words
splash like the songs
in you.

Autumn Sleeps by poetboy824 is a short soft poem that is more soundly constructed than a first casual read might indicate.
Bare, Autumn sleeps,
At the foot of the Oak,
Her chestnut tresses abound;

Embroidered with leaves,
Scarlet and gold,
Her locks blanket the ground;

She keeps them nestled,
In her soft, earthen womb,
Acorns -- warm, sound.
I want to bring a new poet to your attention. annaswirls, a poet to watch grow, today presents Installation. A work I find interesting in energy, but that could use (IMHO) a bit of editing and rearranging.
I fight to keep my eyes wide and unfiltered-
Free from polarized lenses and the tinted prism of experience,
Free from my love, my judgment, my memories, my pain

Having you come to me pure
unadulterated, whole

I try to sit still, an invitation.
Images pound against my retina,
Electrical signals pulse light speed to my brain
My shoulders twitch and I find myself breathing in your art
instead of our air.

Longing to sit naked, back pressed against the screen
Facing the images that flicker on my open body
so I can soak it in through my skin
and become.

To avoid favoritism; other frequent forum or poetry board contributors who posted today include in alphabetical order:

eagleyez

E-Nymph

Iceingsugar

jthserra

oxalis

Senna Jawa

steve porter

As always, please go and read the rest of today's new postings on the New Poems page. I may have
overlooked a poem that you will really like. Remember to vote and send feedback. Our poets need support.

Regards,                 Rybka

quote from IcingSugar:

One more from 13:th December
I just realised that noone have mentioned this gem:

If I were a child... by echoes_s.

The almost non-existent spacing of pharagraphs and stanzas may be a bit annoying, but look past that and the text itself is wonderful.

If I were a child I would paint a ray of the sun and still wet, put it in your pocket so you would have a beautiful day
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, if there is somewhere someone could point me...creative writing/stanza's/paragraphs/punctuations etc, I would really appreciate this. I have trouble enough with focus and concentration even with medications, and with agoraphobia, it is near impossible to attend school. I have been writing since I have been 13 years old and won't give it up, no matter if it goes no where, but one can dream and aspire and continually strive....

~~~I am but a hermit in a castle of dreams~~~

http://www.literotica.com:81/stories/memberpage.php?uid=280402

Angeline starts the day with Ten Ways of Falling. She has recently upped her poetry a sizable measure and is presently exercising literary muscle, and body-building her work. This is a good one to start off your Sunday read.

Thank you Rybka. I had a great time writing that poem but, for a series of short discreet strophes, it was very hard to write. It's a great writing exercise though--to pick an object or idea and write about it from as many perspectives as you can. :) :rose:

Angeline said:
Thank you Rybka. I had a great time writing that poem but, for a series of short discreet strophes, it was very hard to write. It's a great writing exercise though--to pick an object or idea and write about it from as many perspectives as you can. :) :rose:

loved that poem

10 ways indeed.

:rose:

Re: New Poems on 12/14/03

Rybka said:
For today's Goldie I present, after just three spins on Monday, a poem originally from 1995. One appropriate for last weekend's weather and a recent thread: winter by Senna Jawa.
Probabilistically it is incredible that your spins ran into my poems so many times. How do you explain it? (No, I didn't beat the system, I just posted poems :)).
Thank you for mentioning. My (prose?) poem:

kindergarten

has already received two votes: 2 and 3, for an average of 2.5 (this poem requires acquired taste to appreciate it). I forgot to set the public comments on, and have done it only now. I wish there was a total default for "yes" as in the case of voting, or it should be one of the posting steps. Oh, well, it is "On" now.

Regards,

aquired taste? I read it for the humour factor. Didn't vote, because I didn't particularly like it, but I didn't want to kill your score either.

perks said:
aquired taste?
No, it is "acquired", with "c".
I read it for the humour factor. Didn't vote, because I didn't particularly like it, but I didn't want to kill your score either.
But don't worry about it, indulge yourself (if you vote on poems systematically then you should vote also when you don't like a piece)--I love trivia, all trivia. Also, I don't think that votes on my poems are higher than average (if at all then not significantly), so you can't spoil anything for me, I am not in any races. On the other hand, talking about the trivia, my number of "reads" seems to be somewhat higher than in general for the poems on Literotica, but this also is hard to tell. From the patterns I could see that often when someone read one of my poems than s/he went on reading some of my other poems too. Thus possibly the fact that I have a relatively large number of poems on Literotica was helping the # of reads, each new post was giving a chance also to the older posts. (And still the "universal factors" are more essential: the alphabetic position of the title and its attractiveness for the Literotica readers--that attractiveness is unfortunately not strongly correlated to the artistic value of the title; the boring titles tend to be quite catchy while interesting titles are perhaps avoided).

Re: Re: New Poems on 12/14/03

Senna Jawa said:
Probabilistically it is incredible that your spins ran into my poems so many times. How do you explain it? (No, I didn't beat the system, I just posted poems :)).
. . .
Regards,
Don't know, except that you have a rather large number of poems posted. - I just click the button until something readable falls out of the crap. :)

Regards, Rybka

Senna Jawa said:
No, it is "acquired", with "c".

I wasn't correcting your spelling. I was commenting on the fact that you seem to relegate your poetry and the way you think to a higher plane. You have the need to draw attention to the fact that you are so completely different, but not in a good way, SJ. Different isn't bad, being a pompous "this is acquired taste" jerk, implying that we who don't appreciate it, aren't up to your par is completely vain. While that may be acquired taste, the only taste it satisfies is your own. You seem to relish the fact that this is so, for your art, your attitude. I don't understand why you need to implicate that others are lower than your lofty heights to make your art look better. Shouldn't it stand on its own without you telling us how "acquired" it is?

perks said:
I wasn't correcting your spelling. [...]
You're soooo serious :)   So, it should be like this:

XXX:   oh, baby, your clit lick is so lyric!

YYY:   oh, and your ass gas is sooo hot!

Last edited:
New Poems, Monday 15th December

Monday again. I see that there’s been some ice and water under the bridge since last Monday. Reviewers are dropping of viral infection and overwork. Senna’s back. My cup is full of holiday bile.

I also see that the intermittent discussion of how the “reviews” should work has bared a toothless grin. Just so there is no confusion, I’m going to burden you with my thoughts on this issue.

Champagne took umbrage with some reviewers introducing a competitive streak by selecting a “best of the day”. I’ve done this sometimes and for the simple reason that I thought the poem was the best of the day. It’s my personal opinion.

Senna has often ranted that our failure to critique/criticize bad poetry in this thread simply leads to more bad poetry. This is countered by the notion that appreciation of poetry is subjective and in the absence of a “gold standard” of poetic quality, we should avoid hurting people’s feelings with sanctimonious critique. And so the board fills up with turds, flung back and forth.

There is no winning argument or preferred path in the debate of inclusiveness versus quality… so, for the record, allow me to formalize darkmaas’ rules for the new poems thread.

1) Darkmaas is not the literary critic for the Kingston Whig Standard (or even the New York Times). He made no one’s list of best poets. He has trouble spelling metaphor. His qualifications for the job are extremely thin. The best one can say is that he is an enthusiastic amateur in the broadest definition of the word. If you are upset by something I’ve said, chalk it up to my incompetence.

2) There is good and bad poetry. One can, and must, make quality distinctions. (In this sense I agree with Senna… think of me as Senna with table manners.) Rather than critique, I simply ignore the bad poetry. I also ignore some good poetry (See Rule 1 above). So if your poem has been ignored, it means nothing much.

3) Some poets are better than others. The quality thing again. I hold the better poets to a higher standard. This is a form of favouritism. Guilty as charged. Angeline was once miffed that I was less that effusive about what was a good poem, but, for her, a mediocre effort. Too baad. So if you are good, but ignored, and honestly believe that your poem is great, take heart in rule 1.

4) I expect, when I read a poem, that the poet has something to say to me. I hate poems that are so obscure that they are void of meaning to the average reader. I like a bit of a challenge in interpretation but the use of imagery known only to the author is a major flaw imho. Similarly, poems that express feelings only to a specific recipient, (who is not me), will only be mentioned if there is something in the poem of a more general interest. Again I’ll use Angeline as an example, (‘cause she is too sick and in love to care). Her recent spate of love poems is obviously aimed at a specific target, but most are acceptable for review because they work on, and explore, universal themes. But four stanzas of rhyming, “I love your (fill in suitable body part) forever,” will get ignored by this reader.

That’s all for now. I’m off to read today’s offerings.

Last edited:
Angeline was once miffed that I was less that effusive about what was a good poem, but, for her, a mediocre effort. Too baad.

Cause it was a good poem damnit! (actually I have no idea which poem you mean, but why always me for the shining example, baaby?) :) :heart:

Again I’ll use Angeline as an example, (‘cause she is too sick and in love to care). Her recent spate of love poems is obviously aimed at a specific target, but most are acceptable for review because they work on, and explore, universal themes. But four stanzas of rhyming, “I love your (fill in suitable body part) forever,” will get ignored by this reader.

Ok you baastaard, now you're--cough, hack--in trouble.

Ode to darkmaas

I love your mind
you're too silly
and mostly kind
to my poetry

Nice brain baby
your thoughts roam free
so that's why maybe
you never agree

intermission while I blow my nose 4,000 times, honking loudly. sexy, huh?

You got a good head
a Yiddische kopf
(ugh I feel dead)
and nothing rhymes with kopf

Mmmm baaby, nice cerebrum
(ee, sweetie, my throat's sore)
i'm feeling delerium
and this poem is a

snorrrrre

crawls off under a rock to die. damn kids. damn flu. he was right. i don't care

To this humble reader, poetry is a way to give our thoughts wings - wings that bear them into a readers's heart, or mind. Whatever.
To me, a good poem is one that achieves the author's purpose, whether that is emotional, intellectual, or mystical. Whatever.
Just two cents' worth of a lurker's humble opinion. Have a lovely Holiday season, all. *S*

crawls off under a rock to die. damn kids. damn flu. he was right. i don't care

*comes shambling thru the door covered with snow carrying all kinds of sickie supplies.*

:heart:

*comes shambling thru the door covered with snow carrying all kinds of sickie supplies.*

wotta guy.
:heart:

leaves thread. waves at ssilversong. coughs at darkmaas :) :rose:

Pick of the day...

Today I picked up a puppy,
Apparently he was
The pick of the litter.

I went to the market today,
Noticed the peas,
they were the produce manager's,
Pick of the day.

I wonder if I should be so bold,
As to include the seafood place's
Catch of the day.

You get the point
It's pointless
Really.

Smile everyone. I don't want the kind of power that stifles or offends or even elicits comments on an inappropriately placed rant, to be given my words.

I would never take "umbrage". My objection was to the populace picking one poem out of all of the offerings, regardless of how many were posted and doing so, day after day. I know I was being far too general and broad sweeping with my thoughts when I wrote that silliness. I did post a later disclaimer.

Don't read so much into my meanings. My thoughts are not that deep.

Really, I don't know what all the tiptoeing and claimed mudslinging is about. Recommend poems you like. If they are from the local forum patrons, then so be it, if they are from aliens from outer schpaze, then so be it. But please, try to spotlight all that are worth it. By your own, personal standards, that is. We are not professional poerty critics, and not supposed to be either.

Not saying we do, not saying we don't, just saying that that's what I want to read here. And hat's what I contribute with whenever you see me posting a link here. THat's when I spot a IMHO gem, or promising newcomer (I tend to cut them a little slack), that previousposters haven't mentioned yet.

By the way. Is anyone filling up the Angeline-shaped hole in the daily poem-sniffing pool?
(she didn't go far. I can see her, she's standing over there, hankie in face, giggling at us ;) )
If not, I'm willing to give it a shot.

cheerio!
/Ice

Back