new poems

new Poems, Monday 5th January

Happy New Year All

Over fifty poems againthis week, and so many gems to choose from...

Let's start with the illustrated poems. There are three and each one deserves a read/look.

Angeline in Crescent Night explores the moon, blues and the open road in a pair of haiku stanzas.

Then look at Wholly Ghost by Tristesse. Like many of her poems, I feel that I've been there. This time even the graphic element is tickling my memory.

The third illustrated poem is by Linbido- Branches And Twigs is a lovely mixture of words and image. It allows for multiple readings and as Annaswirls commented, "then I felt a little naughty....like I wanted to stand at the trunk mittens on bark.... and give it a good quick shake.... until the snow and words fell all around me, me laughing in a pile of cold snow and warm words. maybe lie down and make a snow angel poem...." That about says it all, lol.

I can't resist, as a segue into the rest of the porms, remarking that Linbido has another poem titled I'm Not A Poet, a sentiment she then demolishes in the poem itself. Read it!

Tristesse also has two other poems posted. The first is a simple and charming thing that takes us to places we've all been and then drags a meaningful sense out of it all.
I see you reading this
in a hotel room
in a foreign city
the bed looks hard
the furniture shabbily generic.
you look tired
the air-conditioner wheezes in the window
and the traffic is loud
you stand in the dingy light
reading this.
So please read Reading This.

Then read (or listen to) Blind Love. This poem could have gone so very wrong but she pulls it off with ease.

Icingsugar has an offering as well. You must read Somehow Sacred
Somehow,
in a bubble of their own,
somehow tranquil,
between tug and tag
and runoff giggle.
____catchmeifyoucan!
______ithinkiloveyou...
____whatdidyousay?
______ohnothingreally...

I'm running out of time so I'll be brief. Read:

It all started part 2 by annaswirls,

La Posada by Xtaabay (welcome back kiddo),

Forgive Me Paterson... by jthserra,

and

Mourning Has Broken by *Catbabe*

That's all folks. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Interresting Noobs

Two (more or less) new names caught my attention today:

O_J_Flintstone has a bunch of stories written, and three older poems, but he is generally unnoticed as a poet. Today he all of a sudden has 10 poems up for grabs. They are of varying quality, but when they are good, they are really good: I found Five Minutes To Flush and especially Italy very enjoyable.

ScoobySnack is a brand new name, his/her (don't specify in profile) Seasons is well worth a read.

New Poems of 01-05-04

Middleagepoet, a relatively new contributor has posted another poem I find worth RCFVing (Reading, Commenting, Feedbacking, and Voting) upon. I love the way he interweaves contrasts in Your Silhouette.
Your silhouette against the sunrise
bundled against the cold
your breath written in the breeze
greets me as I awaken.
. . .

Also, our Mexican piñata or 'PITA" if you prefer (private joke), :p has returned with an illustrated poem that doesn't even have a picture! Xtaabay draws the scene herself in words of two languages, showing that her field trip did not diminish her poetic health and talent in the slightest. Go read the rest of it and see what I mean. Welcome back!
La Posada.

Thick green cylinders-
sugarcane joints, staggered among
glowing tumbling
tangerines.

Grand steaming silver pot,
squat on dais of
triple-fanned cinder blocks.

Tejolotes,
pineapple,
cinnamon sticks,
cane joints
jostled and tossed,
. . .

Re: new Poems, Monday 5th January

darkmaas said:
Over fifty poems againthis week, and so many gems to choose from...

Let's start with the illustrated poems. There are three and each one deserves a read/look.

Angeline in Crescent Night explores the moon, blues and the open road in a pair of haiku stanzas.

Thank you kindly darkmaas and all who commented and sent feedback. :) :rose:

Thank you Darkmaas...

for the nod for "Forgive Me Patterson, William Carlos and Allen". I wrote that after a quick drive through the city on the way to Newark Airport, rushing to beat a snowstorm scheduled to roll in. While I would have liked to see the home city of two great poets, I settled for only a view from I-80 as I sped eastward.

again... thank you for the mention,

jim :)

Re: New Poems of 01-05-04

Rybka said:
Also, our Mexican piñata or 'PITA" if you prefer (private joke), :p has returned with an illustrated poem that doesn't even have a picture! Xtaabay draws the scene herself in words of two languages, showing that her field trip did not diminish her poetic health and talent in the slightest. Go read the rest of it and see what I mean. Welcome back!

Thankyou for the kind mention, Mr. O'Fishle :p And thankyou to all who've been kind enough to comment on the poem.
Xtaabay

Thank you

for the head-up(s) Darkmaas!

And thanks everyone for the kind comments. Just let me clarify, that Twigs.. was made early December, long before I started whining here about a muse who gives me the finger. :) As for the other one, well, I guess frustration can be pretty good fuel sometimes...

huggies,

When a piece of writing hurts a little as it comes out, it means a great deal when people understand what you were trying to say.

I was asked a few time who inspired it. It was inspired by a few things, a picture I took at ground zero, the discussion of a 9/11 memorial, but probably most of all the loss of my father.

Thanks Darkmaas for the mention and to those who left feedback in various places. It is appreciated. All three public comments, Ange, Boo and Tess, were especially touching. Thank you all:rose:

Last edited:
Re: new Poems, Monday 5th January

darkmaas said:
[BThen read (or listen to) Blind Love. This poem could have gone so very wrong but she pulls it off with ease.
[/B]
Hi fellas,

I really wanted to do just that. The words were wonderful and I wanted to hear what the audio was like. But how do I do that when my computer crashes every time that I install Real Player. Is there any other software that plays .ram-streams?

I know that there are probably better places to ask this, but then I wouldn't have the chance to tell you how much I like that poem.

Your omnipresent lurker,
#Liar

New on the 6th

Has anyone taken Tuesdays?
I had a nice little away from lit break, so I'll do this Tuesday, unless someone out there is hyperventilating to do it. Is anyone? I have paper bags. :)

For the hale fanatics:
Once More With Feeling

by denis hale ©

already

comes the
gale-force
dirge

wailing like a psychotic
Slim Whitman through the
stripped limbs of a sick
Douglas Fir,

Not my favorite hale poem, but still good, still worth a read, still worth a second glance.

----------
Ohhh, ahhh, Oooo... Sorry, I do that when I watch fireworks or read a wonderful poem. I think any poet (or non poet) reading this will love it.
Invisible Muse
by Angeline ©

She says she can't write,
but watch her poems bloom.

Name them like flowers,
awareness, remembrance,
synthesis, judgment.
Name them like knowing
sorrow or dream.

----------

This poem reminds me of one of my ex's night terrors.
Panic Again Panic
by neonurotic ©

Open your eyes!

Gawd, it's not dream,
I'm awake.

Dripping with sweat
I'm hot under my skin.
burning up,
filled with heat.

----------

filling in the between
by Cordelia ©

draping smooth verbs
in red
japanese-lantern-light
and obscuring with
polysyllabic prestidigitation

Lovely poem that becomes more of a pleasure with each line.

----------

fogtanka
by Senna Jawa ©

Of course, you know there aren't many words in a tanka (5 lines of 5-7-5-7-7 syllables, though I believe SJ prefers to use less.) so I won't display the poem here. Just click on the link to check out fogtanka.

----------

Last but not least:
God bless anna and her little 9 cent bic. I love this poem!
Borders Books
by annaswirls ©

and scratched down dates of
poetry workshops
that will not be attended,
surely that would be too bold

least I committed to mark them
permanent black with
a borrowed 9 cent bic
on the back cover of my blue journal

----------
Please explore the new poems list. There were a couple more interesting poems that weren't mentioned, so go have a look.

Re: New on the 6th

WickedEve said:
Ohhh, ahhh, Oooo... Sorry, I do that when I watch fireworks or read a wonderful poem. I think any poet (or non poet) reading this will love it.
Invisible Muse
by Angeline ©

She says she can't write,
but watch her poems bloom.

Name them like flowers,
awareness, remembrance,
synthesis, judgment.
Name them like knowing
sorrow or dream.

----------

Thanks for the mention your wickedness, and props to Linbido, whose musing on her museless state was my inspiration--the poem is about her (I love her poetry), but also about anyone's muse never really leaving --napping, maybe. :)

I absolutely loved Neo's Panic Again Panic as soon as I saw it in the "passion" thread. Everyone should read it--such voice!

I'm with you on the other choices, too, as well as today's offerings from Middleagepoet, echoes_s, and firegoddess76

WickedEve said:

fogtanka
by Senna Jawa ©

Of course, you know there aren't many words in a tanka (5 lines of 5-7-5-7-7 syllables, though I believe SJ prefers to use less.) so I won't display the poem here. Just click on the link to check out fogtanka.
Thank you, Eve, for displaying the link (and Happy New Year to you :)). Keiko Imaoka wrote that 17 syllables (5-7-5), which is a standard for Japanese haiku, feels more like tanka in English (English syllables carry more information). And indeed, several of my tankas have around that many syllables. The given one has twelve: 2-1-3-3-3.

On the other hand I have promoted (invented?) a sibling of tanka, namely "fat tanka", which has either more syllables than the classical Japanese 5+7+5+7+7 = 31 or has an extra line or both (certainly the term "fat tanka" is mine :)).

If you're interested in tanka and fat tanka, you may click on:

tanka

Actually, fogtanka is a companion to one of the baker's dozen there. See also:

chesstanka
                    noctanka
                wintanka

Of course "noctanka" stands for "nocturnal tanka" (and it just so happens that "noc" is "night" in Polish), while "wintanka" is short for "winter tanka".

Regards,

Last edited:

WickedEve said:
filling in the between
by Cordelia ©

draping smooth verbs
in red
japanese-lantern-light
and obscuring with
polysyllabic prestidigitation

Lovely poem that becomes more of a pleasure with each line.

Thanks for the comment, Eve. I hope no one thinks I've fallen off the face of the earth. I still write. And once in a while I'm moved to post.

(Remind me not to post anything when Angeline or denis hale does, though... :) )

Also, thanks to Maria for her comment.

I wish I had more time to go and read and comment on every poem.

Running off to do mom stuff,

Cordelia

I have a question for all the poetry experts here...

Just what constitutes an Epic poem?

Does it have to rhyme? (my guess is yes)

Is there a length requirement?

It seems like no one likes the lengthy forms anymore, tho there are a few sites devoted to it.

I still love reading The Song of Hiawatha aloud, and the Charge Of The Light Brigade, and even John Browns body.

Would an Epic w/ strict guidelines make a good challenge?

It should maybe more about form and style rather than a prescribed topic. I don't have one even in mind, but I can think of lots of topics.

Anyone interested?I thought The Ides of March a good date to post.

Last edited:
well damn...

earlier this evening I went through the new posts and commented on about 8 or so... and none took. I must have backed out too early on each one. Wow, just pretend I commented...

jim :(

Epic Poem

BooMerengue said:
I have a question for all the poetry experts here...

Just what constitutes an Epic poem?

Does it have to rhyme? (my guess is yes)

Is there a length requirement?

It seems like no one likes the lengthy forms anymore, tho there are a few sites devoted to it.

Boo,

here is a definition I grabbed off the internet:

epic poem - definition

define epic poem

An epic poem is simply a long poem. How "long" is "long"? There is no set definition.

How long does a poem have to be to count as an epic poem? That's a bit like asking how "long" a story has to be to qualify as a novel. Tolstoy's War and Peace is definitely a novel. One of Aesop's fables is definitely not. Between these two extremes lie a number of cases which we could argue about. Take Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness," for example. It is generally thought of as a novel, but it is short enough to be characterized as something lesser - a novella, perhaps.

Here is a slightly longer definition:-

An epic poem is a long poem typically dealing with events which are legendary, historical, mythical or a combination. It typically involves a struggle of some description.

A couple of points about the slightly longer definition:-

"Legendary" means "based on fact, although perhaps remotely" whereas "mythical" means "made up out of thin air".

The statement that an epic poem "typically involves a struggle of some description" is true but really adds nothing to the definition, since most literature involves a struggle. This statement has just been thrown in as ballast.

The epic poems which have most influenced English literature are The Iliad and The Odyssey, two poems in Homeric Greek which the ancient world attributed to a poet called Homer, who by tradition is reputed to have been blind.

Scholars have long and fiercely debated the question of whether The Iliad and The Odyssey were in fact composed by Homer, or even whether "Homer" ever existed, which tells us that nobody really knows for certain.

What is generally accepted is that The Iliad and The Odyssey were transmitted orally, and were probably not written down during the lifetime (or lifetimes) of the creator (or creators).

As mentioned above, The Iliad and The Odyssey were written in Homeric Greek, a version of ancient Greek used by Homer, whoever he was (or was not, as the case may be.)

The most significant epic written in English is Paradise Lost by John Milton.

Not my definition, it is from this site: zenvirus.com. Called Znevirus, but it is a safe link. Anyway, the above definition was fairly complete...

jim :)

My Favorite Epic

I have a copy of the Aeneid in my bedside drawer. It is the Loeb version so it has the latin on one side and the english on the other. Even though my latin is very rusty these days, I love to read the latin version aloud to my girls. The rhyme and meter are wonderful.

I think this kind of links with the foreign language thread....

Since word order is not as structured in latin as in english, i think that epic poetry was "easier" in latin- that and the use of cases for word endings.

Please forgive my digression.

I love the Aeneid in the latin. Even the best translations lose the magic of the rhythm and rhyme in the original.. that is all I really needed to post.

:rose: b

new poems 1/6

Well had written a post with the names and links so now am just going to post the links

The below poems are ones that I found of interest in the new releases. I am not a critic as of yet or not confident to be one but the poems were well written I thought and some did some real soul baring. smiles keep writing All.

niyah2

http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123439 Once more with feeling denis hale

http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123448 Your Masterpiece Middleagedpoet

http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123533 Invisible Muse Angeline

http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123529 Samantha (in memory) echoes_s
http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123547 Still alive

http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123427 Angel’s ride a Scotsman

http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123535 An end to a beginning jthsera

http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=123562 neonurotic Panic Again Panic

Back