new poems

Re: Re: Getting back to poetry...

Liar said:
Thanks for being a darlin and doing the reviews today. I actually had my selection ready, but fell asleep before I had the chance to post it. :rolleyes:

But to not waste my key strokes, I'll post mine too. You have alteady mentioned most, but there were one or two others on my list that I'd like to add:

------------------------------------------------------------------
In no particular order:
Fame by Tathagata
In the infinite universe, everything happens somewhere...
[color=770000]Morrison sings, Kerouac reads, Lennon gasps
Kennedy freezes, a leper is healed, a swastika goes up[/color]
A poem of possibilities. Thought provoking.
Free Play by Angeline
Angeline glances back, at the world trough the eyes of an 8 year old. She made me close my eyes and wish the return to less complicated times.
Not Forgotten by lostandfounder
A wonderful little fairy tale. Unforced, kind, warm, mellow.
Monkeys Are Funny by Toward A Word
From a smile we go to a laugh. This is the lost twin to Toward's recent wit-fest Occam's Aftershave. Here he makes fun of people making fun of monkeys. Sounds weird? Read, and it will make sense.
Sweet Lorraine by JCSTREET
Sharp imagery and a sharp story behind it. Nothing more to say really. Go read.
A Birth of Me by jthserra
Sometimes, it can hurt to write. An interrresting and intriguing ride through the birth of poetry.
Path from Sadness by Syndra Lynn
A good thing to remember, in times like these. Syndra gives us her path, and a sincere, well put tribute to two helpers.

My humble thanks, Liar, for mentioning this poem. And much appreciation to all who voted and left feedback. And special thanks to Kunda and Tath for pulling me out of the pit. Friends like you are special treasures.

Syn :kiss:

thank you Champagne 1982 for mentioning May Rain. I had been in a terrible slump and wasnt sure if anyone would even notice it, so i especially apprecaite all the comments and Fb and your glowing endorsement :)
:rose:
maria

Thank you Liar for the mention...

it's always the ones I think are throw aways that people notice

shows what i know

Thanks again

Re: Re: Re: Getting back to poetry...

Syndra Lynn said:
My humble thanks, Liar, for mentioning this poem. And much appreciation to all who voted and left feedback. And special thanks to Kunda and Tath for pulling me out of the pit. Friends like you are special treasures.

Syn :kiss:

well ya know Syn...if it was a mud pit we'd probably have jumped in and wrestled ya..
;)
:rose: :kiss:

Hello Sunday...

Today is neonurotic's first day of new poem reviews and, because of a skip over Saturday's poems, he got swamped with 68 new poems...

I offered to help him out with a few of the poems if he needed it and he nodded yes. So anyway I'll run though those that grabbed me from my group of just less than half of the poems posted for today.

Before I begin the new poem review, I would like to mention what most of us already knows. Smithpeter passed away last week leaving a large empty space here at Lit. Smithpeter and his other personnae brought us a consistently wonderful variety of poetry. My favorites often came from the voice of 2rivers, a poet that amazed me and filled me with envy on every poem of his I read. I would like to respectfully list a poem from 2rivers. Please read his blue jay:

blue jay

landed on a tree branch
outside a rock and roll house
she flew away
from the people
the people perching inside
couched and merry
open mouth kissing
minor keys

An extraordinary look at an ordinary blue jay from a special poet.

From the portion of new poems I looked at there were a number of tribute's to Smithpeter. Tributes are often difficult review or critique because there is so much emotion pervading each word of the poem. The poems today, not only expressed the emotion but did it in a manner that, I believe, would make Smithpeter smile.

Denis Hale brought us a poem that delicately alluded to a number of SP's works. Read in memory of sp and see if you can spot all the allusions there.

As a struggling poet, I know the helpless feeling you get when you just can't quite grasp the combination of words to say what you really want to say. Liar wrestles with this same feeling in his tenative tribute . Perhaps tenative, but heartfelt and moving. Excellent poem.

Annaswirls has a wonderful poetic mind, a mind she uses in a powerful conversation with the beyond. The title perhaps promises some more of these, something I look forward to. Eavesdrop with me into Mind Conversation # 1 .

In addition to the tribute poems today, there seemed to be a sub theme with several excellent form poems. Angeline writes a wonderful tribute as a Terzanelle in Terzanelle at 4 am . The rolling repetition of lines in the terzanelle seemed like loving memories as they crossed this poet's mind in the tiny hours of the morning.

"Beethoven’s Violin Concerto proceeds
like clockwork, movements trill and roll
in artifice. Nothing’s unkempt, nothing bleeds

that doesn’t feel, that lives without a soul.
Is beauty made more beautiful by pain
like clockwork movements trill and roll?"

There is an elegance here that speaks beautifully of the poet and her subject.

Abecedarian -- you've seen a few before here and elsewhere I am sure. If you aren't familiar with the word, it is a form poem where the first word of your poem begins with the letter "A", the second word begins with the letter "B" and so on until you have completed the alphabet. It's a form I have not even dared to attempt yet. In A to Z -- Opal Pearl by Lostdriver1964 this difficult form looks easy. Read it and see...

Another form poem that grabbed me is actually in neonurotic's group of poems, but I thought I would briefly mention this sonnet: What More by EveHasFallen .

A new poem today from a poet I had not seen here before. After reading it, I know now that I have been Missing Something. In this poem vixenshe left me yearning to read more of her.

JCSTREET seemed to appear out of nowhere here and in a few short days I think has turned a lot of heads. Everything I read by this poet I can't help but enjoy. I find his phrasing and line breaks fascinating and intriguing. In a wonderful poem today, he takes us all back to The Spring of 1961

In a poem that seems to be a response to Angeline's poem a couple of days ago, Tathagata takes us back in time to his Playground . In the poems he takes us into the dirt and mud, peeking under stones for frogs and other creatures, something I remember from my own childhood.

Tathagata brings us another strong poem today with Absinth Makes the Heart Grow Fonder, take a peek:

"arboreal phantoms dwell
conjuring spirits with ancient tongues
with each sip
wisdom becomes clearer

as you imbibe secret alphabets
long forgotten
lying dormant
in serpentine chambers"

I have always been drawn to erotic poems, as most of us have, and I just love to read a subtlely sexy poem. Well, there is no subtlety in this next poem. Come along and sing Jump Her Bones sung to the tune of a Marty Robbin's song. Uncle Pervy has a number of other erotic poems that have rhythm, rhyme and a graphic sexuality that grabs you and doesn't let go. Over the top? Read them all and decide for yourself, I'm still catching my breath.

Much like a poem I mentioned about, Liar takes us back in time to a wonderful place At the Edge of a Magic Kingdom . His wonderful use of language puts the reading sitting there beside him. Here's a peek:

"You and me equal,
braids and tangled salty
summer cut,

lying on bare thighs and arms
and hiked up tee
on sun heated pontoons.'

The bane of the poet, the seeming endless struggle to get a poem to say what you want. Just like an earlier poem I mentioned here, Toward A Word struggles with this dilemma when he finds This Poem Won't . Read this one and I am sure you will see yourself in it.

And now... for my favorite from the portion of poems I read today. When I saw the title and the poet, I immediately looked forward to reading it. I have seen a bit of poetry from her before, just a little bit, but I liked what I saw. I was very pleasantly surprized when I read Red by CharleyH. Take a peek:

"Tempting, aren’t I?
Under your nose.
I like how you look
at me
desperately undressing me
hot and humid under my eyes"

There is a knife-edge sensuality here that will bring you to the edge of your chair and then... surprise you.

Well, those are the poems that grabbed me from a portion of today's New Poems. Please watch for and welcome neonurotic's listing of another portion of the poems. There is a lot of excellent poems out there today, many of which I didn't mention here, so be sure to read all the poems... I think you will enjoy them.

And now poets, let's be poetic out there....

jim : )

Last edited:
Re: Getting back to poetry...

champagne1982 said:
With the events of the past week virtually crippling the people that have taken it upon themselves to review each day's new poems, I would like to step up and absorb a bit of the responsibility to ensure that each poem is read by at least one other person in our community.

There are a number of wonderful poems. Forgive me if I only mention a few. My opinion is only one voice. If anyone else feels there should be a poem or a poet mentioned, please feel free to add your harmony to the melody that is today.

On this day, Friday the 14th there are 19 new poems.

Take a visit back into Maria2394's garden and breathe deeply of that blessed air that comes from the fall of May Rain.

And if that isn't enough Food for thought you should listen to The8thMelody serve a delightful helping.

A new poet to Lit has given us a wonderful story poem, check out Not Forgotten by lostandfounder and find a spring romance.

JCSTREET has joined the list of Lit poets just recently and has been one of the voices not given his due this week. He's been busy sharing his poems and giving us someone new to enjoy. Thankyou and welcome JCSTREET.

The poets who never fail to impress are included in today's new poems too,

Angeline brings us Free Play

A Birth of Me is celebrated by jthserra

Uncle Pervey delights us thrice with his naughty look at whores and men in Damsels In Distress and I and I! and letting us all taste the sweetness with his Cunninglingus Candy.

Tathagata shows us just how fickle fate can be when doling out Fame

Wednesday and Thursday squeaked by unremarked. Please everyone go and read a few of these poems.

Champ, I just saw this. Thank you, dear lady. :rose:

(and thank you JCSTREET! Kat, I only wish I'd writ what JC reprints there--I think it's his, yes?)

:)

Re: Hello Sunday...

jthserra said:
As a struggling poet, I know the helpless feeling you get when you just can't quite grasp the combination of words to say what you really want to say. Liar wrestles with this same feeling in his tenative tribute . Perhaps tenative, but heartfelt and moving. Excellent poem.

Much like a poem I mentioned about, Liar takes us back in time to a wonderful place At the Edge of a Magic Kingdom . His wonderful use of language puts the reading sitting there beside him. Here's a peek:
Humble thanks * 2, Jim.

How poems are recieved here, and which poem which reader likes, never ceases to amaze me. These two seems to, judging from comments and votes, to be equally loved and hated, where I honestly thought they would be the kind you read, shrug and say "quite good, but only quite". Like Tathagata said, shows what I know. :)

#L

Re: Re: Getting back to poetry...

Angeline said:
Kat, I only wish I'd writ what JC reprints there--I think it's his, yes?)

:)

Could be, Angeline. JC...Help! Where can I find the entire poem?

Thanks,

Kat :rose:

jthserra said:
Abecedarian -- you've seen a few before here and elsewhere I am sure. If you aren't familiar with the word, it is a form poem where the first word of your poem begins with the letter "A", the second word begins with the letter "B" and so on until you have completed the alphabet. It's a form I have not even dared to attempt yet. In A to Z -- Opal Pearl by Lostdriver1964 this difficult form looks easy. Read it and see...

Thank you Jim for the reference. I must admit anyway that the most difficult thing was not to arrange the english words, but to refer them to a certain person i wanted to dedicate it to and i guess i did a good job in it.

Re: Re: Re: Getting back to poetry...

In the swamp's distance,
the flesh house leaned
with my slanted perspective.
I was a clown - all feet,
stumbling along anticipation's path.

KatPurrs said:
Could be, Angeline. JC...Help! Where can I find the entire poem?

Thanks,

Kat :rose:

jthserra said:

A new poem today from a poet I had not seen here before. After reading it, I know now that I have been Missing Something. In this poem vixenshe left me yearning to read more of her.

Thank you.. *shy smile* I will try not to disappoint with future submissions.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting back to poetry...

KatPurrs said:
In the swamp's distance,
the flesh house leaned
Uhhh... why is this here? It's one of my old ones that won a contest at lotus. It's kind of sucky. lol
Where did you find it? Is it posted somewhere besides eveshabit? Maybe lotus, which is okay. Actually the habit was closed this morning, or was it last night? Well, very recently.
Here's the entire poem I copied from the habit on the hard drive:
Bordello Circus
©2002 Eve
Winning poem for a circus-themed challenge, which required certain words but could not be about a circus.

In the swamp's distance,
the flesh house leaned
in my slanted perspective.
I was a clown, all feet,

"Freaks!" studs from town shouted
as they swaggered past in the night.
Yeah, we were freaks,
old enough for whiskey and war,
yet still boys in one way.

"Fun for the entire family!
Everybody is a winner!"
Slim barked from the rickety stoop --
the one that led to suspected delights.
He was like a carnie in your face,
hustling pink pandas and green giraffes
for the price of a ring toss.

"One born every minute," he mumbled
as I exchanged a Jackson for a ticket to manhood.
For the next hour, I belonged to Deloris.
I hoped she was cotton candy soft, but little did I know
I was sticking my head in the lion's mouth.

Re: EXCELLENT WORK--ANGELINE

JCSTREET said:
In the swamp's distance,
the flesh house leaned

1. Subj refers.
?

No, it's not excellent work, angeline! lol
Why is my bordello circus here? Can't I sweep anything under the poetry rug? :rolleyes:

No sleeping in on Sunday

Well, as I said earlier: Wow!

Yep, 68 poems awaited the newbie reviewer and what a great offering the new poem's list held for me this Sunday, May 16th. If it were not for jthserra I'd still be on the new poems list so thanks Jim for the help—which also means I do not have an excuse to skip my psychology homework later on ;)

~ ~ ~

Firstly, bluerains tops off of the new poems list with her subtle erotic write, Spawned to which you may enjoy time in the tropics with these lines:

inquisitive osprey watches from
the mangroves
as spellbinders cast their
seeds to the wind.

~ ~ ~

EveHasFallen gives us well written sonnet that echoes a poet's soul with What More

~ ~ ~

A wave of Uncle Pervey's poems hits the new list proving that he is more perverted than nasty neo with: Lover Baby!, Quench My Thirst, Did it good and fed your soul! Women In My Life!,Veronica Loved!, Saga Of My Delicious Mom!, and An Evening Stroll! With all his prolific explicit works I doubt the horny bugger sleeps ;) (all said with intended mirth)

~ ~ ~

My Erotic Tail sends us on a nostalgic ride with Ridin' High

~ ~ ~

maria2394 has a double froggy submission with Frog King Emerges and Frog King ( as observer) The latter is the flipside of the lilly pad from the Frog King's perspective. Reading Maria's work always leaves me open-mouthed and catching flies ;) (pun intended)

~he gets the big meat~

Frog King, His Majesty
~Imminent Culler of Protein~
sticky tongue zapping juicy bumbles
smearing flecks of pollen thick
across his smirking Frog King lips

~ ~ ~

JCSTREET also had a wave poems that hit the new list: Ultimate Ski Experience, Red Hands (Celtic), Prairie Poem, Football, Deja Vu, Aftershocks, Poets—all of which are excellently crafted especailly

California

Lovelock
blistered with tires with dull heat
dull heat. she

was warm, but
we did not touch, we

skittered across Utah like drops on a skillet

and Balfie Is Dead

died clutching my
hand skin
pale gaunt
grey wax cheeks hollow
gibbering saliva
through black teeth
nails
untrimmed Balfie is dead

~ ~ ~

fawnie brings us a poem straight from her heart, titled My Restless Heart

~ ~ ~

PattieB brings an interesting poem with an even more interesting format. Much work went into it and her art gave me formatting ideas of my own In My Striving (much thanks PattieB for the inspiration)

~ ~ ~

lostandfounder brings us two poems this sunday, Thalia's Song (Muse of Comedy) and chiefly, she Watch out for those succubi... ;) They give you wicked REM

~ ~ ~

BooMerengue has a raw explicit write Incoherent revamped (adjusts my trousers at my understatement)

~ ~ ~

Dustystar gives us a (hardon) fuschia hued erotica with Shear When Wet

This bleached out blonde will look stunning
against the ripped wallpaper in my room.
Seducing her is a mere measure of my lilac tongue.
For your pleasure
I will dine on her earlobes
While you enjoy the delicacies
of her cappuccino thighs.

~ ~ ~

tarablackwood22 submits a stunning beauty for us to enjoy, his Rain

It is for you
I drip and tremble.

And, if I command,
the hidden sun will twist its light
through your new window,
melt gentle words onto its frost,
carve them on your summer heart.

~ ~ ~

Jack Green brings us two offerings, Now It's 1984 and notably, Loup Garou A chilling wolfen tale with a 19th century feel.

~ ~ ~

jthserra proves that once again that his pen is ever amazing (where do I get one those?) Sycophant

A sum of parts never divided
weakness feigning strength
as breath was syntax, repeating, repeating
I died to live and, for a moment, lived to die.

~ ~ ~

gauchecritic brings us a raw and powerful piece that is one of my favorite writes of the day with Missing

And every day
Tears unbidden and unashamed fall
like rain to drip from nose and chin.
Ringlets dry, throat wet.
Staring eyes capture each and every passing face,
discarding, dismissing
but above all and everything
that last from Pandora’s box persists

Well folks, you wore my wee brain out with all that beautiful poetry, but it was worth the effort.. now it's too bad I have to go and pollute it with Sigmund's and Carl's theorys ;)

- neo

editted to add gauchecritic's Missing to my review—I had set this piece aside to add a quote and accidently deleted it when I was formatting... Sorry gauchecritic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.

Thank you all for your kind words
About my poetic attempts
I want you to know
that this isn't for show
I appreciate your comments

lostandfounder

jthserra said:

Annaswirls has a wonderful poetic mind, a mind she uses in a powerful conversation with the beyond. The title perhaps promises some more of these, something I look forward to. Eavesdrop with me into Mind Conversation # 1 .

not claiming to have the voice
just the imagination
not attempting to emulate or imitate
just translate the words that come free flow

I am trying to do the best I can

thank you

I will no longer be doing the italics in my conversations
as it seemed presumptious-- but with this one it did feel very back and forth

and this weekend it all just flowed in a muddle together anyway

thank you Jim

Originally posted by neoneurotic

tarablackwood22 submits a stunning beauty for us to enjoy, his Rain

Thanks from the heart for the mention, Neo.

:rose:

regarding your post

It was nice to see the poem caught someones attention, poetry is always best when straight from the heart, atleast mine. anyhow thanks for mentioning it..i think i blushed a little, it's always nice when people don't notice when it's heart felt..yikes! lol..appreaciate the acknowledgement though, best regards, :kiss:

I HAD THIS NIGHTMARE

that everything I wrote was tumbling out in rhyming couplets, that
every girl in the world had silicone double DDs and that penal colonies had been established on the outer planets to mine more silicone

that every man in the world had a 10-inch thickie and had to wear supports to keep it from dragging on the ground - that I was trapped in a love tunnel gagging as I was forcefed cliches

that I was forced to become a used car salesman to support my habit

that the villagers had gathered at my garden wall and were throwing rotten turnips in to express their disapproval of my poetry - which had fallen into ill-favor with the censors

that I could no longer discern the difference 'twixt censor and censer--twixt complement and compliment--thatI would get so old I would forget how to spell straitjacket and spell it they way they do in the english sunday newspapers--straight jacket--as though it were the shortest distance between two points

that the word linchpin was lying in the gutter like a worm chrysalis-ing into lynch-pin as though it went through frankenstein's neck

funny thing nightmares

Carl

This poem speaks t me real hard

Sixty years of that life, just playin' hard--
went from tailfins and ducktails, baby,
right up through electric cars.
From dive bars down in the Delta
rose the Grandfather Superstar.
The years go quick and the scene has changed,
but the Mississippi poet-preacher's blues?
Well, they always stay the same.

I'm 61 - I try to hide it vaguely sometimes and I sure dn't look it - but I don't look 19 either - or 25 or 32--

I was taught by my kin that spirituality--esthetics--contemplation would grow gradually to replace the loss of physical prowess with more important things--and I belived that

But i find that venality doesn't give up its plangent grasp easily--that the desiresof the flesh continue--even when when that thick Net 10-incher has become a child-like thing that doesn't penetrate any more or not very often anyway - when one has to fall back on looooooooooooooooooooong looooooooong foreplay to justify one's existence as a lover of any consequence at all

cuddling, nurturing and murmured endearments gradually become the new currency of one's aging life - the periods of loneliness get longer--much of that is solitude and is fine--and yet there are nights when the deep desire for skintime beads up on the belly like honeydrops

that skin-to-skin feeling when even as an old man I feel the white goosebumpy body of a female melded to me

that deep squeeze when i hug her so tight that her blood stops running

longings

the spawn of poetic sentiments

the reaching out for love and affirmation

the cream in the night--I exist--I am real--LOVE ME

but of course it's not that simple--all the detritus of the past wells up and says--you fucked up bigtime boy--live with it--and yet there are always new lovers--but often they are weak--they don't see the transparent sins within me

Re: No sleeping in on Sunday

neonurotic said:

Yep, 68 poems awaited the newbie reviewer and what a great offering the new poem's list held for me this Sunday, May 16th. If it were not for jthserra I'd still be on the new poems list so thanks Jim for the help—which also means I do not have an excuse to skip my psychology homework later on ;)

~ ~ ~

BooMerengue has a raw explicit write Incoherent revamped (adjusts my trousers at my understatement)

~ ~ ~

Well folks, you wore my wee brain out with all that beautiful poetry, but it was worth the effort.. now it's too bad I have to go and pollute it with Sigmund's and Carl's theorys ;)

- neo

Thank you, Neo... I appreciate your mention. But kids?? Ya ever do something you regretted immediately after??? Well I did with this one. It was a dare, and one I should have passed on, I think, LOL

Re: No sleeping in on Sunday

neonurotic said:

My Erotic Tail sends us on a nostalgic ride with Ridin' High

- neo

Thanks neo~

I currently landed a job restoring a
hobby horse such as in the poem ...
with my artistic self employment ..lol
which is where I got the idea for this poem...

Thanks for the review and the mention...Art

PLEASED AND GRATIFIED

at finding a forum where my work is mentioned--but mentioned by people who give back beauty of their own--I have not read so much concentrated poetry since I was back in college (NO--don't ask).

I published in the literary mags in the late 60s and had a chapbook published in 1970 by Delta Canada - but after that I just sent half adozen poems to Peter Davison at the Atlantic Monthly every 5 years or so--so far he's not been impressed.

maybe the odd one to the New Yorker

but I really didn't make much of an effort - I spent my nights at the Montreal press Club, wrote and broadcast - flew around the world a lot and then when life got too decadent took a stint in the navy--went out to sea--generally up into the high arctic - into that ascetic anti-intellectual environment - and when the brain finally numbed out totally came ashore back to the decadence - the big easy - journalism was so easy - you fooled around for 7 hours and then wrote 800 words in 20 minutes and took off - it was so much cooler than flipping burgers

I worry though that lots of mags will not publish anything that's been published before and literotica constitutes publishing - so there's a fear of shooting one's load and having nothing left to publish in hard copy

it's an interesting group here--so much concentrated neurosis and beauty and brainpower all sort of compressed tightly into this tiny group of ppl--how many are we--20? 30? 40?

can we put our websites in these posts? I get the impression that's a no-no (and I can't figure out how to insert links to one's work if necessary).

Guess I should get off my ass and start reviewing ppl's poems with some focus rather than just randomly when the mood strikes

Carl

SEXSTORY

has had over 2000 views since May 13 but no public comments

only mention it here because it has some prose poetry in it

Back