new poems

wow...im a virgin...i just want to take the time to thank everybody for their comments...thank you thank you from the bottom of my hymen for taking the time to express yourselves...

Thank you, Cordelia

toes and monuments
blues and moments
seeing, viewing sculptures
as stuck between toes
as long as the Museum Of Spice
allows viewings
late with samples, served nice

no shirt no shoes no loins,
exactly, what is the poins?
written with a comma beat
with each rim shot
that chord was lovely
and the sunscreened sky's still hot

”cool” we say I know
the little words say so much
we say it will be so
then only wish we chose the clutch
back in that mountain cottage
where the asparagus was steamed too much
blues

June 27

I want to start by saying that I am so loving this board these days (Killer Muff was right it's cyclical). We have had an influx of new writers who, IMHO, are posting some amazing work. Perdita, Maria2394, denis hale, steve porter, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting (and I apologize for that). And the folks who have been around longer are being prolific: Cordelia, Lauren, and Palau--just to mention a few--are posting wonderful poems. And JUDO's back!! And Evie baby is um um habitual. It's a pleasure to read the new poems every day. We've even lured Dr. Mabeuse--a gifted writer--back in here a few times. I love the way we learn together. Ok. Gettin a grip, lol.

Today I like:

I Believe in Glenn Gould by Perdita (Get ready, I'm fixin' to rave.)

I love him now instead of you.
It’s easier, but it hurts a little too,
to love without a future.
(So what’s new?)

Listening to Gould was the first time
I ever heard
an argument of music clearly exposed—
between the treble and bass
between his long boy legs,
piano fingers, quivering lids,
those full sputtering lips.

Perdita's poetic voice moves me. Her poems remind me of the medieval tapestries in the Metropolitan Museum of Art--rich and vibrant with detail. She is so good at presenting images that transport the reader, and for me, when you touch and smell and taste a poem, that is the best.

When I was a little girl my father played Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations for me (listen at the site--it's so gorgeous you could weep), and she has captured him perfectly: the tousled youthful quality, yet dispassionate and serious. Look at his photo--the long fingers. And his music *does* have the quality of an argument; his talent was so great he sometimes seems to range in multiple directions simultaneously. And she communicated this. A 5-star, 5-level poem. (P.S. Thank you Daddy for Glenn Gould :))

Wondering by SexyJennaInk

I'm wondering
Thinking
Where are you right now?
Is the wind there
Blowing
And how does it feel to be
So alone
If you could answer me these
Questions
And make it feel right
Again
I might be able to sleep
Tonight
My heart just might
Mend

This is one of a quintet of poems submitted today by this poet. I'd have edited to add more punctuation , and they cover themes we see over and over here at Lit (and everywhere poems are posted, I guess), so it would be easy to dismiss them . And yet there is a stark hollow quality that I feel works well to convey the content. Welcome Jenna and keep posting please!

jive numbers by Palau

dance in a circle
all hold hands
us two alone in this
rounded land,

repetition is famous
for repeating

a bluer place
may be found
a bluer less lonely place
more tri than round
more pi than funk
then shakes the ground

repetition is famous
for repeating
again

I much enjoyed this funky and (yes) bluesy posting from Palau. Reading it felt, to me, like being pressed right into the vinyl of a record album (remember them?) and turning around and around and around. Love those repetitions!

Last edited:
Angeline, dear angel,

Thanks for the rave. I really enjoyed your Glenn story. I fell in love w/him as if I'd really met him, have a special photo of him framed nicely and on my wall at home. A very good bio. came out a couple or so years ago, plus there's his letters and all sorts of interesting material on him. I always go back to the music though.

FYI, my poem was based on reality, went to hear the violin concerto alone and this amazing Heathcliff type sat next to me. Perfect evening despite going home alone; actually went home to Glenn, fell asleep to a CD.

Perdita :rose:

way cool Perdita!!

I have to admit, I am not educated in the elitist opera and symphony like you obviously are ..but i have to say I totally agree with Angeline on this one..I LOVED Your Glenn poem..it made me FEEl..something I thought I had lost until I found this site.. thank you all for "educating" me in so many different ways!!! ;):heart: :rose: :kiss:

Re: way cool Perdita!!

Maria2394 said:
I have to admit, I am not educated in the elitist opera and symphony like you obviously are
Maria, it doesn't have to be elitist. I only came to this music about 15 years ago (I'm 56). I sit in the cheapest seats but I like to dress up for the art of it. Once something interests me I read everything I can, and so I've done w/Gould, Beethoven, opera, blues, R&R, etc. My old Shakespeare prof. once said to me, "All you need to appreciate Shakespeare is be a human being." So if you feel something despite an unfamiliarity w/the subject or genre, whatever, you *got* it as good as it gets.

regards, Perdita :rose:

Re: Re: way cool Perdita!!

perdita said:
Maria, it doesn't have to be elitist. I only came to this music about 15 years ago (I'm 56). I sit in the cheapest seats but I like to dress up for the art of it. Once something interests me I read everything I can, and so I've done w/Gould, Beethoven, opera, blues, R&R, etc. My old Shakespeare prof. once said to me, "All you need to appreciate Shakespeare is be a human being." So if you feel something despite an unfamiliarity w/the subject or genre, whatever, you *got* it as good as it gets.

regards, Perdita :rose:

Thank you Perdita, you are very kind :) my youngest daughter, she is 14, has been playing the viola for 5 years now, and she is awesome, but sadly we have very few cultural activities to attend here in SC..I go when I can, always enjoy it... but my kris,..brings tears to my eyes when she plays Canon... I'm so blessed.. once ( a few years ago) I asked her if she knew the bridal song..she played the funeral march..I thought I would die laughing, but in some ways it was very appropriate :)
thanks again for your encouraging words, Maria:heart:

"All you need to appreciate Shakespeare is be a human being." So if you feel something despite an unfamiliarity w/the subject or genre, whatever, you *got* it as good as it gets.

Beautifully put Perdita. I grew up barely working class and my dad grew up in an orphanage, but the orphanage was in New York City. Lots of rich folks wanting to be charitable took kids from the orphanage to the theater, opera, symphony, ballet, etc. (I sometimes think how odd that must have been--to go out for a big ritzy adventure and then be returned to an orphanage.) Anyway that is how he got "kulture," which he passed on to his kids (who dropped it like a hot potato for rock and roll, much to his chagrin lol.) So I guess I'm from the Addams Family School of high culture. :D

I asked her if she knew the bridal song..she played the funeral march..I thought I would die laughing, but in some ways it was very appropriate

I lived with approximately 48 million repetitions of my son practicing Clair de Lune on the clarinet. It got to the point where I twiched every time I heard it, lol.

Last edited:
second chair, first chair in my heart

Angeline said:
I lived with approximately 48 million repetitions of my son practicing Clair de Lun on the clarinet. It got to the point where I twiched every time I heard it, lol.

Ange,.. my girlie plays great, at first I had industrial strength ear plugs, but I stopped using them so I would know when she improved..she was second chair in her honors orchestra and first chair in her chamber music last school year.. she really works hard....dont you miss your son playing the Clarinet all the time? I would.. :)

dont you miss your son playing the Clarinet all the time? I would..

We've moved on to guitar. And considering that I'm now listening to him practice Led Zep, I should be longing for Debussey lol.

led zep

Angeline said:
We've moved on to guitar. And considering that I'm now listening to him practice Led Zep, I should be longing for Debussey lol.

met my hubby when I was seventeen
best lookin man I ever seen
we went out one day, huntin shrooms
listenin to Robert Plant scream and swoon

all the way to Pelion
the old fat farmer had a Brahma bull
tried to get in, past that mean ol fool,
stepped in some cow pies and ruined my only pair of shoes!!

to this day, when I hear Led Zep played
on the oldies station, on the radio in my kitchen
my feet get ta itchin and my hubby starts a bitchin
told ya to takem off you loon!!!

oh the memories!! ( of youth, no less :)

Last edited:
Angeline

Thank you for your kind words.
Are you spinning on your chair or on your toes or in the wind surrounded?

Thank you for your kind words.
Are you spinning on your chair or on your toes or in the wind surrounded?

You're most welcome, Palau. And funny you should ask because I just bought a very cool new desk chair and it spins and well, lol, I was spinning and also tipping back (until I heard my mother's voice in my head saying "Stop tipping your chair.") :D

Re: June 27

Angeline said:
I want to start by saying that I am so loving this board these days (Killer Muff was right it's cyclical). We have had an influx of new writers who, IMHO, are posting some amazing work. Perdita, Maria2394, denis hale, steve porter, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting (and I apologize for that). And the folks who have been around longer are being prolific: Cordelia, Lauren, and Palau--just to mention a few--are posting wonderful poems. And JUDO's back!! And Evie baby is um um habitual. It's a pleasure to read the new poems every day. We've even lured Dr. Mabeuse--a gifted writer--back in here a few times. I love the way we learn together. Ok. Gettin a grip, lol.
Thank you, Angeline, for insinuating me into yesterday's recommendations even without posting any poetry, along with such great poets. And I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with all your comments of the day, especially the one refering to Perdita's poem and to her work in general. That one in particular is one of the most amazing poems I've read in a while.

Unfortunatelly, today's new poetry list is one with very few names (two authors with four submissions each and two poets with one poem each) but with something very special nonetheless.

-------------------------------------------------
sex with bashful sunny flowers
by smithpeter ©

[...]

then why the sexy fragrance?
that draws my nose
inspires a poem
produces a bouquet of dream
when bough of slight
aroma, placed near my pillow
enters beyond the locked gates
of fantasy

That's right: an original brand-new smithpeter poem, and how I missed finding them. I'd comment further on this one, but I'm shy. :eek:

Go read it and enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------
guilt trip
by steve porter ©

guilt creeps into
my consciousness
comes crawling from
some dark abyss
oozing from
her midnight lair
and snaking fingers
thru my hair
dazzling with
egyptian eyes

[...]

I must say I don't think this poem is up to steve porter's usual standard, but it's still well worth the read. His ability to manipulate words into intricate images is something to be admired.

Thank you, LH

I feel like yawning too on this rainy day
perhaps a walk again later with dry pants
a wider brimmed hat and rubbers
pulled over my feet
:rose:

Angeline said:
I lived with approximately 48 million repetitions of my son practicing Clair de Lune on the clarinet. It got to the point where I twiched every time I heard it, lol.

Hey Ange,you sexy chameleon! I love you- you know that- but I sure am glad I don't live next door! Claire de Lune is one of my all time favs! It does things to my soul... and I can't think of a quicker way to ruin it!! But it is amazing what we do for our kids! I'm wondering now if that's why I never grew up... so I could STILL enjoy kid stuff!! hhmmmmmm There might be a 'tribute to my daughter' poem in there some where... let me find my deBussy!

new poems on 6/29/03

Today we have 21 new works and one “spinner”. The quality of most of the new submissions leaves much to be desired (IMHO). Thank goodness for the "spinner"! Here is the "goldie" that I dug up for today. (It took 7 spins to find this one!) And Angeline saves the day with Frrrbit Whispers. :rose:
Yesterday became tomorrow,
which now is today.

It doesn’t matter anyway
because

Night and Day
you are the one in the chair;
it’s comfy orange there
and safe as soup.

Arms open for legs
to tango in tangled warmth
and finger kiss laughter
when words near miss,

and after
walks to book-filled rooms,
lavender-scented and soft

as sighs can sift
and quiet
as moans can murmur
over silk knees,

the dawn breaks through
trains of thought
tickling hours of imagination,

floating past chairs and keys--
blurry but fleur sweet,
redolent as Giverny dans Avril

(avec Narcisses, Cerisiers,
et Pommiers du Japon).
Some very nice imagery here. :)

This is the only submission of today that I thought rose above "average" for the poet and the board. A large number fall below that and quite a few I refuse to call poetry.

shrill by Palau.
flipping off the row boat
back spin, reeling in perch
with compliment sparkles of a French
flick that a girlfriend told about
some Jean-Paul Belmondo
Is it only me or does anyone else seem to notice a "perdita effect" permeating many recent poems? I am finding quite a few poems of her "reminiscence" style, and that is a good thing, but unfortunately no one appears to be as good at it as she. :(

As usual please remember that these are only the thoughts of one reader. I could have missed something that may really appeal to you. So please feel free to add your comments to this thread.

Regards,                                 Rybka

Oh, the fish woke up on the wrong side of the bed, it seems. :D

I had browsed through the new poetry list earlier today and found quite a few poems that I enjoyed thoroughly. There are three steve porter poems, rose is a regular, *click* and manicure, that without being great are, especially the last one, certainly worth reading. Palau's I had pancakes, she eggs is, in my opinion, twice as good as shrill. When I read Introduzzione Allegro for 2 Guitars, I thought it was one of Angeline's best and more courageous efforts of recent times. Svelte walker's you are like a lily and nuclear explosion was everything but "below average".

On the "perdita effect" you're all alone, Rybka. I hadn't noticed it, and now that I reread the recommended poems of the last seven days I still don't notice it. "Reminiscence" was always a strong current along these shores, and I doubt it's any stronger now, except for the great quality perdita added with her own poems. The only poem vaguely similar I found was Angeline's Introduzzione Allegro for 2 Guitars, but the similarities end with the title. It's obvious they departed from the same place, but Angeline took her poem in a direction that has nothing to do with perdita's standard, both thematically and structurally.

Not that it would have been anything wrong with it. One of the major benefits of being in a board like this is the interaction with other poets, the way we can learn from each other and grow. I can remember poems where I've consciously incorporated elements emulated from Angeline, WickedEve, smithpeter and Cordelia, for example, and have no problem admitting it. I'm proud of it and thankful for the oportunity to do it. Most times it's not even about improving, it's all about experimenting new approaches.

On the "perdita effect" you're all alone, Rybka. I hadn't noticed it, and now that I reread the recommended poems of the last seven days I still don't notice it. "Reminiscence" was always a strong current along these shores, and I doubt it's any stronger now, except for the great quality perdita added with her own poems. The only poem vaguely similar I found was Angeline's Introduzzione Allegro for 2 Guitars, but the similarities end with the title. It's obvious they departed from the same place, but Angeline took her poem in a direction that has nothing to do with perdita's standard, both thematically and structurally.

Lauren, I'm so glad to see you making this point and I would like to concur. I actually was inspired to write Introduzzione Allegro for 2 Guitars by perdita's wonderful classical/opera pieces. That's a good thing, as you point out--the opportunity to be moved by and expand upon others' ideas. I love classical guitar and have for many years. If I had written a poem about seeing Segovia at Lincoln Center (which I did many years ago), that would be more akin to some of perdita's recent efforts, but I did not. I wrote a poem wherein I tried to convey the sound of a particular piece of music.

The larger issue though is that trying out a form because we admire what someone else has done with it is a wonderful way to grow. And perdita's narrative poems, which I adore, do not break new ground--in either genre or quality-- here at Lit. Risia Skye, Eve, JUDO, and I (to name a few) have all written such poems. Come to think of it, karmadog's The Hallmark Quickie--a reminiscing er work--is one of the best in the genre here.

Oh, and I'm with Lauren on the steve porter poems as well as those by palau and sveltewalker--they were all really good. :)

Last edited:
Hello???

Angeline said:
Lauren, I'm so glad to see you making this point and I would like to concur. I actually was inspired to write Introduzzione
Allegro for 2 Guitars by perdita's wonderful classical/opera pieces.
Isn't that what I said?? :)
I am seeing more poems that seem to have been "inspired" or "influenced" by our excellent new poet.
That's a good thing, as you point out--the opportunity to be moved by and expand upon others' ideas.
No argument from me.
The larger issue though is that trying out a form because we admire what someone else has done with it is a wonderful way to grow. And perdita's narrative poems, which I adore, do not break new ground--in either genre or quality-- here at Lit.
"No shit Little Beaver"! You are not kidding me are you? :) :p :)
What do you think Homemade Memory Soup or Of Words And Bones,
or even Butterfly Boots are?

Regards,                                 Rybka :kiss: :heart: :kiss:

Last edited:
thank you lauren, rybka, and angeline and others for your advice, attention, time...it gets lonely out here sometimes when you dont think anyone listens...and you hold me to a higher standard...and i tend to side with angeline on the perdita issue...although imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery...perdita does her thing...others do theirs...

To Fish Person

I don’t want to interrupt this conversation,
Just, want to say thanks to fish,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

stand aside the wretched woeful wenches
almost spelled wrenches and could
have become
vice grip labeled bras where nipples
engorged and perky receive craftsman like attention

Last edited:
Back