new poems

I almost didn't get a chance to review todays poems because my modem was down but here I am again prepared to bring nothing more than my two cents. I liked

rainstorm by demanding Gossamer Threads sort of got me in my gut though I can't explain why.
and my last pick for the day is Cyber The rest of the poems were good and as always read em write em and send feedback. ;)

New poems 11/13/03

Lots of really good poems to read, folks! Thanks for making my job a pleasant one today.

~~~~~~~

First, I want to mention I liked so many of these poems, I didn't even have a favorite. I had four favorites!

~~~~~~~

(In no particular order)... first mention is:

Fucking the Black Hole by denis hale

A wonderful erotic poem with celestial metaphors and delicious images. denis never disappoints.

~~~~~~~

second mention:

Maui Jim's in Fall by Rybka

A lovely vignette. The last three lines are inspired.

~~~~~~~

third mention:

Another Kitchen God's Wife by Angeline

Being an Amy Tan fan, I didn't expect this touching homage to Sylvia Plath, but after reading it, the title seems so appropriate. Lovely poem.

~~~~~~~

fourth mention:

poem building by oxalis

A delightful bit of imagery twisted only as oxalis can twist it. And it more than works...

~~~~~~~

Other mentions:

Sylvia at Ninety by jthserra

spun star glint by oxalis

So by Linbido

Shes Editing she's Leaving by BooMerengue
(except for the typos!! a good poem...)

~~~~~~~

A fine selection today. Even the ones not mentioned are worth reading.

Read, give feedback, vote, then go out and watch the Leonids.

Cordelia

thank you...

Thank you Cordelia and Darkmaas for the recent mentions.

An excellent Sylvia poem Angelina. I tried to comment on it, but couldn't get it to work. Anyway I enjoyed it. Watch for "In the Daffodils", actually about Ted Hughes, but as in real life, he shares this poem with Sylvia. I also have one come about Anne Sexton... a bit of a fantasy one...

thanks again all...

jim :)

Thanks, Cordy! It was a fun poem! and a stern finger has already pointed out the typos and now it is all fixed PERFECT and I am not posting it again cuz that would be overkill!! And since this is the ONLY poem I ever worked on like that you may have a signed version when my book comes out!

third mention:

Being an Amy Tan fan, I didn't expect this touching homage to Sylvia Plath, but after reading it, the title seems so appropriate. Lovely poem.

Thank you dear Cordelia and everyone who read, voted, and fed back. I'm an Amy Tan admirerer too, Cordie, and that is my favorite of her novels. After I wrote the poem I was casting about for a title, and I always see Sylvia Plath in my mind's eye in her kitchen in the predawn, writing so there you go.

And thank you jthserra for your kind words and for reminding me with your wonderful Sylvia/Ted poems what she means to me. :)

Last edited:
Re: New poems 11/13/03

Cordelia said:
Lots of really good poems to read, folks! Thanks for making my job a pleasant one today.

~~~~~~~

First, I want to mention I liked so many of these poems, I didn't even have a favorite. I had four favorites!

~~~~~~~

(In no particular order)... first mention is:

Fucking the Black Hole by denis hale

A wonderful erotic poem with celestial metaphors and delicious images. denis never disappoints.

~~~~~~~

second mention:

Maui Jim's in Fall by Rybka

A lovely vignette. The last three lines are inspired.

~~~~~~~

third mention:

~~~~~~~

fourth mention:

poem building by oxalis

A delightful bit of imagery twisted only as oxalis can twist it. And it more than works...
/Cordelia
I agree Cordelia. It was a good day! I appreciate my poem being mentioned in such august (why not "november"?) company, but I could easily order them. Starting 3 - 1 - 4. I think Angie even stole the day from the reigning champion. - marvelous poem! :) :rose:

My little vignette (good descriptor) actually happened during a fishing excursion to the Cape. I love Mexican food so one evening I went to a restaurant that featured it (scarce on Cape Cod). The owner was a retired surfer who had been all over the world pursuing the perfect wave. The evening unfolded as described.
The old man had just come back from visiting his recently institutionalized wife. And as it grew darker he was sitting in a booth by a window, shuffling papers and old photos, using a freshly laundered linen handkerchief to occasionally clear his grief as he stared out the window into his darkening memories between bursts of furious scribbling. It was one of those tableaus that always sticks with you.

Regards, Rybka

I agree Cordelia. It was a good day! I appreciate my poem being mentioned in such august (why not "november"?) company, but I could easily order them. Starting 3 - 1 - 4. I think Angie even stole the day from the reigning champion. - marvelous poem!

Thanks again, Rybka. Your feedback yesterday as well as this made me feel very good about that poem. :) :rose:

Thank you for the mention Cordelia. It's a great bunch of poems that you have grazed mine to be paired with, so I couldn't be happier. :rose:

-Lin

November 14, 2003

Happy Friday poetry people. It's November 14th already (I'd swear it was July last time I checked), and last night my daughter gave me her "preliminary" holiday wish list. There will be numerous iterations, no doubt, as we haggle and scream like fishwives--the holidays are a special time chez Angeline. Anyway, enough of my sorrows; it's cold here in my corner of the globe, but music--Harry 'Sweets' Edison on jazz trumpet, specifically--and poetry are warming.

Poemies--

The Spinner Pick

First, a spinner pick. Ok, not a spinner pick--I eschew the spinner because it's worse than a slot machine, so I just find a poem I like and call it the spinner pick. (Just pretend I spun till I got it.) Today's spinner pick is from our piscine (an innocent term--it means fishy) friend, Rybka. Why Rybka? Well, a few reasons: first, he writes wonderful poetry and works within quite a range of styles--everything from punny haiku to visual avant garde pieces, to lovely free verse. Second (and of critical importance), he sent me some cool feedback yesterday. :D

So today's non-spinning, anti-spinner pick is---

Copasetic Persuasion, a fish-take on the Duke, which simply means Rybka saw the Duke Ellington Orchestra (yes jazz, it's my review day darn it), and wrote a wonderful poem about it. Enjoy.

New Poems

The are few new poems posted today, but a clutch of winners nonetheless. First read RazzRajen's Birds on a Wire, which has nothing to do with either Leonard Cohen or Alfred Hitchcock, but is a trademark Razz poem, inquisitive, questing, and imbued with cosmic vision (how bout them apples, Razz? :)). Then read Sir_Nathan's Home, a well-paced and vividly painted description of a rainy day’s journey home. It's full of adventurous details. (Though I'm pretty sure he means "loins" and not "lions" in that one line--"girding lions" would be *too much* adventure.) It's really well done. And now that you're home and relaxed, read jthserra's two offerings: Dream-touch, which is sexy-sweet, and don't read this poem, which may be (according to the poem) "arrogant" or even "neurotic," but he really wants you to read it. I just know it.

So read the poems, vote, and send feedback. Santa Claus is watching, and you don't want him deciding you've been bad at this late date. Have a great weekend everyone. :) :rose:

Peace,
Ange

perks said:
how did I not know that Rybka was a guy?
Because Perks, I AM a fish! A most beautiful e-fish.

Here is most beautiful me!
rybka.jpg

And here is a photo of Fat boss from many years ago when he was 6' 5" and weighed 225 pounds. His height and weight are still the same some 40+ years later. (But he has lost the battle with gravy-t. HEE! HEE!)
Waterski1.jpg

Regards, ><)))°<

Re: November 14, 2003

Angeline said:
. . .
Poemies--

The Spinner Pick

First, a spinner pick. Ok, not a spinner pick--I eschew the spinner because it's worse than a slot machine, so I just find a poem I like and call it the spinner pick. (Just pretend I spun till I got it.) Today's spinner pick is from our piscine (an innocent term--it means fishy) friend, Rybka. Why Rybka? Well, a few reasons: first, he writes wonderful poetry and works within quite a range of styles--everything from punny haiku to visual avant garde pieces, to lovely free verse. Second (and of critical importance), he sent me some cool feedback yesterday. :D

So today's non-spinning, anti-spinner pick is---

Copasetic Persuasion, a fish-take on the Duke, which simply means Rybka saw the Duke Ellington Orchestra (yes jazz, it's my review day darn it), and wrote a wonderful poem about it. Enjoy.
. . .
Peace,
Ange
Thank you Angie for the pick and the praise. :rose: But don't you think we ought to stop this mutual ad. society? People will think we are showing favoritism among us oldbies. :kiss:
But if you keep writing such good poetry how can I not admire it? Maybe I should start writing really bad poetry for awhile? (I know, I know, Senna. I already am.) :)

Regards, Rybka

Thank you Angie for the pick and the praise. But don't you think we ought to stop this mutual ad. society? People will think we are showing favoritism among us oldbies.
But if you keep writing such good poetry how can I not admire it? Maybe I should start writing really bad poetry for awhile? (I know, I know, Senna. I already am.)

Regards, Rybka

Ok. From now on, I'm praising strangers only! Wait. We're all pretty strange here, right? ;) :rose:

Rybka... I liked the poem Maui Jim's In Fall

but I loved this...
...My little vignette (good descriptor) actually happened during a fishing excursion to the Cape. I love Mexican food so one evening I went to a restaurant that featured it (scarce on Cape Cod). The owner was a retired surfer who had been all over the world pursuing the perfect wave. The evening unfolded as described.
The old man had just come back from visiting his recently institutionalized wife. And as it grew darker he was sitting in a booth by a window, shuffling papers and old photos, using a freshly laundered linen handkerchief to occasionally clear his grief as he stared out the window into his darkening memories between bursts of furious scribbling. It was one of those tableaus that always sticks with you.

Regards, Rybka

the poem told a nice story... the story put a lump in my throat... I have seen that scene so many times working with the elderly, and unwittingly (to me) you captured all the truth of such a sad act.

I am not sure

I am not sure if I am out of place here, but I found a gem in the new poems that I wanted to mention. Amid some excellent new poems, I found Beside her by Tristesse. The gentle morning imagery painted a stunning, yet subtle picture. A beautiful, sensuous poem. Well done.

While you're there, take a look at her stroll in Harlem. There's music and jazz and I think Langston's peeking in somewhere.

jim :)

Great Day in Harlem

jthserra beat me to the punch! Tristesse has two amazing poems posted today. I especially loved her hommage to A Great Day in Harlem, One Morning in Harlem. It's beautifully detailed, accurate, and I thought really conveys the delight these jazz icons had at all turning up at this Harlem brownstone to have their photo taken.

Dizzie shares a joke with Roy
While Blakey and Farmer share Art.
Count Basie's weary legs give out,
He sits down on the curb.
Rex Stewart has his cornet
And gives a kid a blow.
Nuthin'

I have the documentary and the book and it is a delightful tale with the main event--the gathering of these musicians--and a thousand subplots, such as:

the kids who kept stealing Count Basie's hat,

Dizzy Gillespie sticking his tongue out and making Roy Eldrige laugh just as the official photo was snapped,

the mad efforts get Thelonious Monk there (who of course wanted to make an entrance and had no intention of missing it).

The jazz musician's world is (and was even more so then) a closed society, but that day is a rare look into their love and support of one another. Thanks so much for posting the poem, Tess!

:) :rose:

Last edited:
15th November 2003

New Poetry

21 new poems and a few really good ones amongst them. You should read them all, but here are my recommendations.

(Sorry again for the brevity, but I don't have much time today...)

From jthserra, I particulary enjoyed
In the daffodils

[...]

I read a short poem
printed in the back of Poetry.
It talked of flowers
and of silence.
Merely titled: “Ted Hughes 1930-1998”,
I read it over and over,
amazed how quietly you left,
without fanfare,
without notoriety,
without the fragrant hiss
of blossoms.

[...]

Three other of his submissions were, all worth reading: A Walk with Anne, Ball Turret and To The Poet in the Jar.

------------------------------------------------------
Tristesse's two poems have been mentioned already and rightly so. I'm still not sure which one I like best, but they both score very high indeed.

One Morning in Harlem
by Tristesse ©

mainimage.jpg

Beside her
by Tristesse ©

[...]

In that small gesture is love so strong
it swells in the pit of his stomach
consumes him.
His fingers remember the silk of her belly
the smooth sweetness of her inner thigh

[...]

Another very sensual poem is offered by Linbido. One of my favourites.

Please Please
by Linbido ©

Please
don't stop
don't you dare
letting go
don't you dare
ease your grip
on this need
and that pulsating
vibration tuned
to a sharp signal
from me to you
when there is
no between
left to carry
that note

[...]

The ones I had more fun reading, though, were from that banana tart we know so well:

romantic interrogative
by perks ©

Romance?
What do I know of romance?
What do I know
of Love's Distresses?

Historically
I've had french fries
pushed around my mouth
by some young boy's tongue
but romance?
What do I know of that?

[...]

romance slammed life
by perks ©

Romance!
that word slams
against the roof of my mouth
so I roll my tongue around it
breath it
feel it coil
sprout tingling tendrils
up my skin
out my mouth
out my blue

[...]

Have fun.
;)

Last edited:
Agreed!

There are a lot of poems worth reading today, and I agree with those mentioned above, but my personal favorites of the day are "the birth of rock and roll (part 1)" and the "birth of rock and roll (part 2)" by steve porter. I am hoping part 3 will appear tomorrow. :)

Regards, Rybka

ps: You will have to go look them up yourself, because for some reason the links won't work properly. :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention Lauren. I strive for enjoyable poetry, so thank you for the excellent compliment.

As for me, I've been consistently blown away by the poetry of jthserra. I haven't read a poem by jthserra yet that I haven't liked.

morning all :)
Lauren's picks were all right on, ( she's so good, isnt she?)
BUT, don't miss out on Steve Porter's two gems posted today.

If you like music ( which many here profess to do) he has illustrated a history in very live, descriptive form. I thought it was beautiful and made me feel like I was "there"

ps Rybka...WOW!!! what a gorgeous man in the pic you posted... cant imagine he lost a battle with anything...

um, thanks Lauren for posting Steve's correct links..can t imagine how I ended up with the patty stories..ghost in the machine, eh?

Last edited:
thank you :)

Thank you Angeline and Lauren for the mentions... Sorry I lumped so many together, I haven't exactly figured out how quick these things turn around.

And thank you Perks for the kind words.

jim

Back