new poems

Re: Re: Working links:

Rybka said:
Lauren, You are good! How do you do all these things? Why do you suddenly need a semi-colon in the id string?? :confused:

6 is the HTML code for number 6.

653 is blocked in the boards for reasons being discussed elsewhere as we speak: here. ;)

Thank you (in order of appearance) jthserra, Angeline. eagleyez and Lauren for your kind words.

Kudos to the authors of the other fine works, it makes me even more proud to get a mention when surrounded by such talent.

New Poems on 11/16/03

There are 30 new submissions on this Sunday, and I bring one "spinner" as always.

For today's spun goldie I offer a one spin, blast from the past, Homonym posted by smithpeter in April of 2002.
With suspicion
We are viewed on the streets and in houses
Unwholesome composers of erotic notion
Taxed, threatened, secrets exposed
And tender skin,
Rope burned, feather delighted or flamed
By request under wax scented
31 flavors of torture

When lust turns to savor,
Secure embrace of the one lover
Still there after all these ripped
Tears,

There are quite a few people stringing words together this morning, some doing little more than that. One of the first to be enjoyable and self-explanatory is Chasing the harpy away by Petme. A simple piece about love lost, getting over it, and the aid of alcohol therein, by a fairly new Lit contributor.

If you must string words, at least do it as well as RazzRajen in Still.

If you want to write poetry, do it like denis hale in Hitting On All Eight.
Out past the viaduct
on the flat stretch of blacktop
flecked with chrome shards
bottle caps and condoms

where the kids
do their drag racing
and dry humping
of a Saturday night,

but this here
is Tuesday afternoon
there isn't a cop in sight and
we've got this road
basically

all to ourselves.

Next comes another infrequent contributor, Linger, with his Whispered Spirit. A poem about love behind the public facade.
From the cold clicks
of hardwired luck
and the roulette spin
of decadence and flesh
comes the spark
of heart and smile.

Another example of how to string words together to make a poem out of them is More than Raindrops on Tiny Lives by jthserra, a now frequent and valued contributor to the Lit. scene.
Distance my pen from the night
a cold air gone gray, then black
low hung, ocean folds of clouds
reflecting city lights, flickering in rain
the star’s demise, its dust now mud.

Ink wells in the words, shapes and colors
the infinite dreams of failed dreamers
in structured verse, heartless rhythm
echoless rhyme in a nimbus burst
nothing of stars but the memory.

Then there is Angeline who refuses to write bad poetry, even when she is six months too early or late. :)
Spring Came Early
Then splendid dawn roars, breaks into the meadow,
cracking ice in blinding crags of white diamond
shards flung sunward to melt spring puddles
across the train's wake of gardens, of crocuses.
And don't forget to read her Some Other Country also. It is even better!

*Catbabe* asks "What if. . ." in her second Lit. poem What If May Never Come.
What if she falls and skins her hands and knees?
She plays totally free of fear or dread,
Always moving faster, flouting my pleas,
Her biggest concern the crusts on her bread.

As always, please go and read the rest of today's new postings on the New Poems page. There are plenty of familiar names today, so I may very well have overlooked a poem that you will really like. Remember to vote and send feedback. Our poets need support.

Regards,                 Rybka

Re: November 14, 2003

Angeline said:
Happy Friday poetry people. It's November 14th already
So read the poems, vote, and send feedback. Santa Claus is watching, and you don't want him deciding you've been bad at this late date. Have a great weekend everyone. :) :rose:

Peace,
Ange

Thanks Angeline for the mention. If some like what I do then it is good...I write what comes to my mind: abstruse, silly, asking, listening whatever people feel I am doing - it is enough; who can ask for more.

Razz

Re: New Poems on 11/16/03

Rybka said:
There are 30 new submissions on this Sunday, and I bring one "spinner" as always.

As always, please go and read the rest of today's new postings on the New Poems page. There are plenty of familiar names today, so I may very well have overlooked a poem that you will really like. Remember to vote and send feedback. Our poets need support.

Regards,                 Rybka

Thanks Rybka for noting; appreciated for that. And fortakingthe time to read though all the new stuff.

Razz

Then there is Angeline who refuses to write bad poetry, even when she is six months too early or late.
Spring Came Early
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then splendid dawn roars, breaks into the meadow,
cracking ice in blinding crags of white diamond
shards flung sunward to melt spring puddles
across the train's wake of gardens, of crocuses.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And don't forget to read her Some Other Country also. It is even better!

Thank you much, Fishy. I intend to keep stubbornly refusing to write bad poems--or at least trying not to anyway. :) :rose:

I also loved two new poems from oxalis-- citrus, which was my favorite of the day, I think, and caveman and woman, also pretty darn cool (not to mention funny).

Last edited:
A little late perhaps...

but thank you Lauren for the mention of Please Please.
(the fastest poem I have ever written)

:rose:
-Lin

New poems for Monday, 17 November.

PREAMBLE

Darkmaas has just returned from a weekend spent in the contemplation of horseflesh and rubbing … er … shoulders with the “mink and manure” set. A special thanks goes out to Angeline for quoting my musings on the nature of horses in her sig line. (A word of warning though; the last time we spoke of things equine, the immediate outcome was “Just Another Erotic Woowoo Poetry Challenge” … an event that did nothing for my career as an up-and-coming poet of the erotically ecclesiastical).

So perhaps this week, manure in its many manifestations and metaphoric richness, should be the theme of these reviews. Let me go and see if there are any new poems that might … er … embrace today’s theme. I’ll be right back.

Re: mah-newa

darkmaas said:
PREAMBLE

Darkmaas has just returned from a weekend spent in the contemplation of horseflesh and rubbing … er … shoulders with the “mink and manure” set. A special thanks goes out to Angeline for quoting my musings on the nature of horses in her sig line. (A word of warning though; the last time we spoke of things equine, the immediate outcome was “Just Another Erotic Woowoo Poetry Challenge” … an event that did nothing for my career as an up-and-coming poet of the erotically ecclesiastical).

So perhaps this week, manure in its many manifestations and metaphoric richness, should be the theme of these reviews. Let me go and see if there are any new poems that might … er … embrace today’s theme. I’ll be right back.

Oh darkmaas, you are too funny!! Manure is a good thing, roses and veggies love it and there was a hilarious Seinfeld episode where George attempts to explain why manure is good, to Marissa Tomei, I think...

oh manewa, my kingdom for ma-newa
such fodda for poetic dung-king
watch your toes,
the ma-newa froze
the horse pies are too hard
for chunk-ing
ps, I ran away from home when I was 16 and hitched to Florida where I worked for 3 weeks in a stable, owned by Chun King corp, just so I could ride the horses..I was however, fired after my last ride, as I just knew the 60k horse i was on wanted to gallop, I saw no harm in it, but damn, the boss sure did.."young lady, she is SOLD>.this afternoon, dont you ever...forget it, heres your cash, go one about your way." I walked past Lady and we both smiled...I saw the preppy lil princess who came to pick her up that afternoon,..I bet she ( the horse) never got a ride that good again..but alas, thats was many years ago, shes probably dead... oh well..this has nothing to do with poetry, I just got preoccupied..sorry...*smoochies* for letting me rant..have a great day, maria

New poems for Monday, 17 November.

The Main Event:

Whoda thunk it! Maria with a horse in her past!

The theme for today was manure. Unfortunately none of today's poems were anywhere near awful enough for for a poetic M, so I am sad to say that the theme of the day concept has hit the floor with a steamy thud. (Although in Florida it is no doubt still warm enough that ... oh sorry Angeline.)

In fact if I were to pick a recurring theme today, it might be love lost. Perhaps the shortening days have everyone in a blue funk. So it was with a sense of relief that I read "Reflections on a Shaved Ham Sandwich" by Tristesse. It made me smile and then it made me hungry. I won't spoil it by quoting.

Next up is jthserra with "Hours of Air" exploring the long distance romance.
...as time zones tumble
flashing on watches
when now was then
just an hour ago
and suddenly I am
that much closer
or farther away from you.

And that ladies and gentlemen is it for today. (You didn't really think I was going to link someone's poem to today's theme, did you?)

darkmaas

And that ladies and gentlemen is it for today. (You didn't really think I was going to link someone's poem to today's theme, did you?)

darkmaas

Well in the immortal words of the bard, but more significantly Leo Bloom--

For this relief, much thanks. :) :rose:

I'm a vegetarian. And suddenly I felt like buying a ham sandwich... with mayonaise. Imagine my surprise.

Tristesse

I just read some of Tristesse's newest poems. I alway like reading her work.

My favorites:
"Man ray" - oh so good, so well framed.
"One Morning in Harlem" - put me there, I didn't need the photo to see it taken.
"Reflections on a Shaved Ham Sandwich" - oh yummy, she showed us our desire reflected in an ordinary act - indescribably delicious.
"The End of the Day" - oh yes, reflection and relaxation, if only my other were there too.

-FF (thank you for helping my day with such strong images)

11-18

Hello

I'm just now reading the new poems. I saw a few interesting ones, but I really enjoyed A Poem of a Horse by jthserra ©

It was a poem of a horse,
power and grace,
a rhythm of hooves
pounding a beat.

It was a poem of speed,
muscular possibility,
sculptured grace, movement
and humid exhalations.

[...]

Very nicely done and well worth a read.

I'm such an airhead that I didn't read all the poems. I missed Angeline's. Well, I'll go read it now and let you know what I think.
Oh, Razz's was good. Maybe I should start the review over. :eek:

Okay, we have a nice villanelle by Angeline: To bloom and wither like a kiss
To bloom and wither like a kiss,
we wax and wane adrift toward night
as evening falls darkling to bliss.

This really is a nice poem, but for me, the line "to bloom and wither like a kiss" moves this poem beyond average.

Thank you, Eve. I wasn't so sure about the withery thing at first. I meant that kisses have a life like a flower, a beginning and an ending, but I wondered if withered would bring to mind being a kid and having to get that kiss from your great-aunt whosiwhatsit, which is, yknow, frightening. lol. Never mind.

Thank you. :D

thank you all...

thank you Rybka, Darkmaas and Eve for the mentions. It means a lot to receive praise from such gifted poets.

I wrote A Poem of a Horse shortly after watching one of the most tragic things I have ever seen. July 6, 1975, Kentucky Derby winner Foolish Pleasure was scheduled in a match race with an interesting twist... it was a battle of the sexes for horse racing, the first of its kind. He was to race the top filly of the day, perhaps the best filly of all times:

"Ruffian was arguably the best thoroughbred filly that ever raced: the horse won all five of the events it entered as a two-year-old in 1973, frequently setting or tying track records, and duplicated that string of successes the following year, taking the filly triple crown." (Publisher's Weekly)

While in the lead, Ruffian broke a front leg, but, unwilling to give up, tried to keep running as the leg flapped like a rag. The jockey leaped from the horse, mercifully stopping her. Although they quickly sedated the horse, and rushed her to an animal hospital, the subsequent operation was unsuccessful and they had to put her down the next day.

Those images of the horse's final steps will never leave me. Up until Sept. 11th, it was the most shocking, tragic thing I have ever seen. My poem only faintly touches on the absolute horror of July 6th, 1975, I am not sure if I will ever be able to do justice to the event.

thank you again for the mentions,

jim

Horse Poems

Actually jthserra gave us two poems with horses featuring prominently. In my opinion the second one, the trouble of horses, is the more interesting. I'm not sure if the horses are merely metaphoric. If so, it's a damn good metaphor.

One thing that becomes apparent to anyone involved with horses is that the business attracts a disproportionate percentage of psychopaths and sociopaths. It makes the halls of literotica seem so sweetly sedate. (I quess Maria and I are twice blessed...) and death is always only one hoofbeat away.

Then there's manure. (sorry lol)

I digress. Go read this poem. It won't disappoint.

darkmaas

Re: jthserra's Hours Of Air :Hours Of Air

I really liked the way his wistful words reached into secret places..mine, at least.. *s*.

re: manure

ah darkmaas... read the trouble with horses again... in addition to metaphor, it also contains a pun my grandmother used to tell over and over....

You missed the horse manure in the first part.

jim :)

ps: thank you tristesse and ssilversong with your kind comments on Hours of Air. I have had to travel a lot over the summer. Hours of Air was written on one of my trips.

Back