Newbie query... Nick and pen name issue

Ah MG, I adore Pratchett almost as much as Anne MdCaffery.
Written in British? Oh dear I think most of the greats are.
I am off on my holls as most of you know. Back on Sunday the 2nd.. or is it the third.. does it matter?
I bought a new lens for the camera. A nice big zoom.

This is one of the good granite buildings in Aberdeen Scotland.

And with that I leave you to your own devices for a bit.

Attachments

• citadel.jpg
    citadel.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 16
Ps. Please address any objections to DurtGurl. She handles the complaint department MG
MathGirl,

I thought all complaints on this forum were handled by Helen Waite. Everytime I ask where I can make complaint, I'm told to go to Helen Waite. Is DG taking some of that burden from her?

Confused Rumple

Dear Rumple,
You've stumbled on a little know fact. Helen is one of DG's aliases.
MGg

MathGirl said:
Dear Rumple,
You've stumbled on a little know fact. Helen is one of DG's aliases.
MGg
Now the truth is revealed. I won't tell if you won't.

Confidentially,

Rumple

Back to the Sheep

Found the forum just before going away for three weeks, not with Angus I might add.

I've registered today and anticipate a first story later this year.

I just thought you would like to know that wool is the only material that generates heat as it gets wet. This only to prove that l have read the entire thread.

Great banter, hope to contribute.

Wills

Hola, Wills. You read well and humourously already. Welcome.

Don't take any of us seriously, and jump in anytime someone says anything interesting, lurid, outrageous, profound, what have you.

regards, Perdita

p.s. Knowing about sheep will help you in some circles; good thing you didn't follow Angus (I only mean he went to Canada, ).;)

Re: Back to the Sheep

Originally posted by Wills I just thought you would like to know that wool is the only material that generates heat as it gets wet.
Dear Wi,
That's very interesting. How much heat does wool generate when moistened (e.g. specific heat)? What causes the exothermia when water is added to wool? I'd really like to know.
MG

Sheep and heat related item

Oddly enough when I was studying J. M. Syngh, the Irish playwright, I also researched the Aran Islands which were the setting for his most famous play, "The Playboy of the Western World" (Syngh was fascinated by the pagan-ness and seeming 'incivility' of the Aran folk, believing they held profound insight into the indentity of the Irish).

Most people know what Aran cable-stitch sweaters are, but perhaps not that an authentic one is made of unprocessed wool which holds the natural oil that keeps moisture out. On the islands the unique cable stitches and combinations of such, once if not still, denoted a family or clan, and were practical for the fishermen to wear.

To come round to my point, but to give no answer to MG's query, obviously raw wool keeps one warmer and drier than processed wool.

Perdita (who loves Irish literature)

Heat generated when moistened

Dear MG
I got it from a BBC radio station 'Up All Night'. It visits most countries in the world in the wee small hours collecting mostly useless facts.

This item originated in Australia, I remember it being something to do with the wool contracting when wetted. Maybe its just friction? Does that help? I can't be more specific.

Perdita, thanks for the welcome.

Wills

Hi to every one from Skipol Airport Amsterdam. I am on my wayhome and will be on line later today.
Emotionally drained and very tired but very happy too.

Angus

Hi AB

Welcome back to civilisation, did you bring us any Duty Free?

Wills

Originally posted by Wills This item originated in Australia, I remember it being something to do with the wool contracting when wetted. Maybe its just friction? Does that help?
Dear Wills,
Wellllll........ okay. It's just that, having a background in physics, I don't believe it. I'm sure you heard it correctly, but I doubt a TV reporter did much scientific inquiry.
MG

Hello MG

I was just checking to see if AG had got home from the airport and up you popped.

Now, from memory, and this was few years ago in the wee small hours, not only that but I'm going to get slaughtered for encouraging you!

It was a scientist from the breeding research station in Aus. explaining how they were breeding pastel colours into Moreno (?) sheep. The interviewer reported that he was looking at a field with very pale pink and blue tinged sheep - it was radio. The comment about heat being generated was in the conversation, I don't recall in what context, but I think it was mentioned with respect to finished woolen garments rather than the sheep themselves, though presumably if it does produce heat in garments then it also does on the hoof.

I now recall that it was to do with fibre contraction when wetted. Does that make any sense?

Are you having Lamb for dinner? Wondering how to warm it up?

Wills

Originally posted by Wills I now recall that it was to do with fibre contraction when wetted. Does that make any sense?
Dear Wi,
Maybe. I doubt that it would be a significant amount, though. Also, unless the laws of thermodynamics have been repealed without my noticing it, wool would have a net loss of heat while drying. More than the heat loss due to the negative heat of vaporization of water, of course.
Argumentively,
MG
Ps. I know I'm spilting hares.

MathGirl said:
Dear Wi,
That's very interesting. How much heat does wool generate when moistened (e.g. specific heat)? What causes the exothermia when water is added to wool? I'd really like to know.
MG

I dimly remember this from my physics classes: as I recall it's a hygroscopic reaction, not an exothermic one. I did a little digging on the propeties of wool, though.

Endothermic and exothermic reactions of wool.
The wool fibre is a complex fibre. The outer structure is made up of several cuticle layers, which form scales that are impermeable to liquids and permeable to vapour.

The wool fibre is always in a dynamic equilibrium within the surrounding environment, constantly absorbing and desorbing moisture vapour as a process to maintain a set equilibrium, the "least energy state." This is a physical molecular makeup that controls a chemical equilibrium between polar sites within the wool fibre and moisture molecules or vapour in the surrounding environment. The "least energy state" is dictated by nature (the sheep) to assist in maintaining homeostasis.

Polar sites are distributed throughout the wool fibre and are responsible for chemically attracting moisture molecules and expelling them according to the surrounding air environment and do so to maintain the chemical equilibrium. Energy in the form of heat is released and taken up again as this process occurs.

Dear Seattle Zack,

Thanks a million. Strange things happen when your working all night, I was beginning to wonder whether I had heard right.

An that MG, she's so pickety.....

Will's

I am home safely now. What a trip!

I don't know where to start to tell you how it went but so fast, so damn fast. If I said I have met my soul mate will that suffice?

I am trying to reduce the pics to the size for here but to no avail as yet.

Awesome is the only word so far for Canada...

Angus

Canada

I have just picked out six pics here from over two hundred.
Camera gave me severe hassle and has today been returnd to the shop. I wasted most of the chopper trip struggling with the infernal machine...

However...

Attachments

• niagara falls from skylon tower.jpg
    niagara falls from skylon tower.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 9
Canada

Wheres the falls? Here...

Attachments

• canadian falls from the skylon tower .jpg
    canadian falls from the skylon tower .jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 9
Canada

And then there was the lappie bother... Who took a virus with him? WHo lost all. Who had to buy a new copy of XP.... who was very mad, and more, who was unable to get on line even after the installation as XP couldn't find the drivers for the modem? Oh yes and the very nice man at Staples tried to find it for me in his own time no less and failed as the model is a bit elusive... I need a wee chat with the PC super store that sold it to me...

They wont give the discs you see, the XP discs and claimed that the partition on the HD was bomb proof... aye well maybe it is and maybe it aint, but in my experience it AINT.

Attachments

• fort niagara.jpg
    fort niagara.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 8
Canada

However I managed to get a few decent shots. Or did I?

Attachments

• niagara riverside.jpg
    niagara riverside.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 10
Beautiful pics Angus. Thank you for sharing. :)

All that is relatively near my home, but never fails to give me a thrill to see.

Whisper :rose:

I leave again for work tomorrow. I hope you all have a great time while I am in isolation. Take care and be good. Life is too short to be rude. But only of course to others....lol

ANGUST

I don't know how easy it is to change your handle here. I know I originally signed on with my pen name Em Keli but then shortly there after I started to have difficulty logging on and repeated requests did not seem to get me any help.

Finally I logged on adding 2003 to the end of my name and resubmitted already posted pices. I informed webmaster/hosts when I resubmitted and they got me cleaned up and swiched over to my new name Em Keli 2003.

I write under pen name because I have had a taste of fame/infamy in my past working in a state legislature and lobbying around the state in Calif. At first it was flattering to have strangers come up and accost me. But that wore off fast. Once I was in fancy restraunt trying to make time with a beautiful lady and two total strangers pull chairs up to our table, sit down and start ordering champagne talking like they had known me forever. I quickly learned that I hated the invasion of privacy and have become very guarded. I would love the money, but want no part of the fame so trying to figure out how to insulate myself from the hoards if it should every come to that.

I thought it might be possible to "hire" someone to do book signings for me.
But was told that it would smack of the Milli Vanilli syndrome. Sooooo when the time comes for book signings I intend to put on wig, fake beard, Elton John oversize sunglasses and a Truman Capote hat. That way when I walk out of there no one can spot me on the street.

Writing under your pen name is good idea if you want to foster an identity and I am relatively sure that the hosts here will help you get things switched if that is your desire.

================
There's not much I can tell you....

Back