Newbie query... Nick and pen name issue

Augusthe Bull/Shenachie,

Your story's not that bad, especially for a first effort. It needs work (overuse of, "she," some grammar miscues, etc.), but then so do all of mine.

Don't worry about the double-post. I did a five-peat a few days ago. Word has it the board's a little flaky.

Rumple Foreskin

Test Pic

I followed a route yesterday and I found myself on this old road. This is most likely the route that Cromwell took with his cannon to bombard Dunottar Castle, and the same route that Cumberland took his troops to Aberdeen on the way to Culloden.

I felt on this road, felt history.

Angus

Attachments

• copy of coast rd south and wall.jpg
    copy of coast rd south and wall.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 14
Further on I crossed a bridge and stopped to take these.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I did the taking of them. :)

The river is the youthful North Esk.

Attachments

• web north eskc.jpg
    web north eskc.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 9
This is the other side.

I love spring for the promise and I so enjoy autumn for the surge of colour and the knowing that lathough it is the end of the growing year it is all to come again after winter. The circle rotates.

Attachments

• web north eska.jpg
    web north eska.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 8
Cromwell, nothing. That road looks like it could be a scend from a Brother Cadfael film or maybe some epic about a Roman Legionnaire in Britainnica. Good work on all of them.

Rumple

Rumple Foreskin said:
That road looks like it could be a scend from a Brother Cadfael film
Dear Rumple,
A Brother Cadfael fan? Me, too. Derek Jacoby, Edith Parmenter, Ellis Peters, Sheriff Hugh, etc. You can almost smell the sweat, smoke, and horse manure in those films.
MG

A jag..

I had a jag of reasing those books, and excellent they are too.
The road is most likely medieval with the stones set in on edge to give a very uncomfortable surface for cycling on.
The Romans were up as far north as here so the legions may have tramped up a track there too. We are not short of our share of history here. ;)

Shen/Angus

MG, Shen,

I have to make myself ration out Cadfael books. Another "history" type series I like are the ones about "Harry Flashman."

Of course, history is relative. I was "talking" on another message board with a young guy about a WIP set around the time of the American Revolution. He apologized for not having more to say, but explained he didn't read much "modern" history. At first, I thought he was kidding, but then I remembered he was from Egypt. As an Egyptian, even Brother Cadfael era books are "modern" history.

Rumple

Books

Book series. I enjoyed the Flashman books in their time but I resented him hijacking one of the all time bullies and turning him into a hero. They talk about soccer players "roasting" women but Flash delighted in torturing little boys by roasting them in front of the fires.

I found on the platform library, which is changed out every 6 months via the Mariners Society, bless them, a volume of the first three Hornblower novels. Now I was impressed with them as they stand the test of time very well. I remember finding and devouring them at hmm, about 11 or 12.

I commend to you if you like naval tales, also the Patrick O'Brien ones with Aubery and Maturin. Very good. I noted some sadly that "Master and Commander" is being made into a film as soon as the author is dead. He had probably refused in his life time.

I also very much enjoy the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell. I initially put Cromwell but went upstairs to check the spellling and it is Cornwell.. LOL

Other authors? Terry Pratchett and Anne McCaffery esp the Pern books.

Angus

Flashie!

Rumple Foreskin said:
Another "history" type series I like are the ones about "Harry Flashman."
Dear Rumple,
I love the Flashman books. He's such an admitted cowardly asshole. Fraser's historical background, though, is very good. I checked up on some of those long-forgotten battles Flashie fought, and the history is quite factual.

I've never actually read a Bro Cadfael book. I just love the movies. Normally it's the other way around, but I can't imagine the books being as good as the movies.
MG
Ps. One of the books I'm currently reading is a "Sharpe" novel by BCornwell. They're all good, but they get sort of predictable after a few.

Last edited:
The background to both the Flashman books and the Sharpe boooks are accurate. The Sharpe books will give you a good, well reasonable tour round the Peninsular war. Allowing for fiction of course.

Angus

Re: Flashie!

MathGirl said:
Dear Rumple,
I love the Flashman books. He's such an admitted cowardly asshole.

If it's cowardly heroes you like, then I've come across non better than Lovejoy.

An antiques 'divvie' who is regularly involved in murder and mayhem with plot twists galore and Johnathan Gash has a very readable style. Lots and lots of apparently accurate antique 'tips' to boot.

Don't be in any way swayed by the TV serial of the books.

Gauche

MG,

The Cadfael films were very well done and faithful to the books. But you should give one of the novels a try. IMHO, it's not a matter of one medium being better than the other. Instead, each has strengths and weaknesses.

Angus & MG,

I'm reading, The Ten Thousand: a novel of ancient Greece. The author, Michael Curtis Ford, knows his subject.

Rumple

Watered...

Lovejoy is a prime example of PC watered down material. The BBC series and the books have a passing resemblance. In a thick fog on different oceans.

Oh aye and on a bad night on seperate mares.

Re: Re: Flashie!

Originally posted by gauchecritic If it's cowardly heroes you like, then I've come across non better than Lovejoy.
Dear Gauchie,
I picked up three "Lovejoy" books at the library. I like him already. He seems to be sort of a combination of Spenser and Harry Flashman.
MG
Ps. I love the feeling I get when I introduce someone to Terry Pratchett for the first time. You may bask in the same sort of glow for turning me on to Lovejoy. Thanks.

Originally posted by gauchecritic C.S.W.E
Dear Gauchie,
I don't know what CSWE is. The Lovejoy book is very, very English, and makes reading a little slow. I think the pace will pick up after I get used to Gash's style. Right now, L is in bed with Mrs. Ryan. Her horse is waiting outside. The book is "Moonspender."

Should I read the Lovejoy novels in order? With some authors, that's almost necessary.
MG
Ps. I have never watched much TV, so I had never heard of the Lovejoy series until you mentioned it.

There is a marked changed in complexity from the early books to the later ones so you might be better starting at the beginning.

Gauche

gauchecritic said:
There is a marked changed in complexity from the early books to the later ones so you might be better starting at the beginning.
Dear Gauchie,
Like what? With "Moonspender" I spend a lot of time trying to remember who was who and how they fit into the story.

This thread has turned into a private conversation, hasn't it? I'm sure nobody will object, though. No, of course they won't.
MG
Ps. Please address any objections to DurtGurl. She handles the complaint department.
Pps. WTF is CSWE?

CSWE? Can't Smile Wide Enough. (for the thanks)

Lovejoy at large
The Judas Pair
Gold From Gemini
The Grail Tree
Spend Game
The Vatican Rip
Firefly Gadroon
The Sleepers of Erin
Gondola Scam (Purr might like this. Set in Venice)
Pearl Hanger
Tartan Ringers
Moonspender
Jade Woman
The Very Last Gambado
The Great California Game
The Lies of Fair Ladies
Paid and Loving Eyes
The Sin Within Her Smile
The Grace of Older Women
Possessions of a Lady
The Rich and The Profane
A Rag, a Bone, and a Hank of Hair

Trying to remember who is who and what they did is just the kind of thing I meant by complex.

Gauche

Last edited:
Dear Gauchie,
Are those titles in chronographic order, or alphabetically by number?
MG
Ps. While reading Moonspenders, it seems that I'm supposed to know all about who Sykes and his sons are. Some of LJ's other pals, too. Never having heard of any of them before makes navigation bad enough. On top of that, it's written in British.

Last edited:
Maths,

Chronological.

Quite a while since I read them actually, can't remember who Sykes is.

Might read them again.

Gauche

Back