The 2024 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread

Readers generally do not respond well to stories of this length. When it comes to stories, it appears that size does matter to most.

We laugh about that, but I've been re-reading the two I have in the can for this year, and at the moment can't bring myself to upload them. Too clipped, too little development, little ability to give the characters the personalities they deserve. In comparison to the longer stories I have going right now, the lack of flow doesn't work for me, either.

I technically have a month to make a decision, so I'll let 'em simmer to see if they fix themselves.

We laugh about that, but I've been re-reading the two I have in the can for this year, and at the moment can't bring myself to upload them. Too clipped, too little development, little ability to give the characters the personalities they deserve. In comparison to the longer stories I have going right now, the lack of flow doesn't work for me, either.

I technically have a month to make a decision, so I'll let 'em simmer to see if they fix themselves.

I fully agree with this. I think it's nearly impossible to make a proper 750-word story with a serious plot and development of characters. Instead, I think this challenge suits those niche stories that capture just one moment - an emotion, or something along those lines. It works well for stories that are a bit poetic in nature. It also works well for the Letters & Transcripts category, I think. But I wouldn't even consider sitting down and writing a proper full-length story and just trying to squeeze it down to fit the challenge. It's often the little details that makes a proper story come to life. 💙

I fully agree with this. I think it's nearly impossible to make a proper 750-word story with a serious plot and development of characters. Instead, I think this challenge suits those niche stories that capture just one moment - an emotion, or something along those lines. It works well for stories that are a bit poetic in nature. It also works well for the Letters & Transcripts category, I think. But I wouldn't even consider sitting down and writing a proper full-length story and just trying to squeeze it down to fit the challenge. It's often the little details that makes a proper story come to life. 💙
My first effort was A Little Help - it covered tease and denial, bondage, cuckqueaning, twin sex and quadriplegia in 750 words, and still delivered a HEA. My entry this year covers lost love, revenge, hypnosis, metaphysics and unleashes and absolutely relentless due of FMCs on the entire Literotica story base... I think it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it :)

My first effort was A Little Help - it covered tease and denial, bondage, cuckqueaning, twin sex and quadriplegia in 750 words, and still delivered a HEA. My entry this year covers lost love, revenge, hypnosis, metaphysics and unleashes and absolutely relentless due of FMCs on the entire Literotica story base... I think it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it :)

Hmm. Well, I read the story - and the comments - and whilst I agree you packed one hell of a punch with the limited word count, I think the story would have benefitted from having more fleshed-out characters, not the other way around. People begging for a backstory or making it into a lengthier series seems to be commonplace regardless of story length, but in this case I'd agree with them. And it's all just one scene.

That being said, it's remarkable what you can do with so few words! You sure packed a lot of things in there, and the sex scene didn't feel much too short which is otherwise quite common with stories of this length. Takes serious talent to manage that, and still create an emotional story. As for:

and still delivered a HEA.

Extremely debatable, I'd say. 😅 To each their own. I enjoyed the story but I found it jarring and incredibly sad.

Hmm. Well, I read the story - and the comments - and whilst I agree you packed one hell of a punch with the limited word count, I think the story would have benefitted from having more fleshed-out characters, not the other way around. People begging for a backstory or making it into a lengthier series seems to be commonplace regardless of story length, but in this case I'd agree with them. And it's all just one scene.

That being said, it's remarkable what you can do with so few words! You sure packed a lot of things in there, and the sex scene didn't feel much too short which is otherwise quite common with stories of this length. Takes serious talent to manage that, and still create an emotional story. As for:

Extremely debatable, I'd say. 😅 To each their own. I enjoyed the story but I found it jarring and incredibly sad.
I think that's what I like about the 750 word challenge: stripping something all the way down to its essence, a story to a page, a paragraph to a sentence. It's an art form, different to writing normally. So, I just do one because it takes such a long time. But it's a nice change from the usual.

IMO, the 750-word challenge is to learn to use words efficiently and to select the scene which helps define the characters.

My first story posted to LitE three years ago (when I was a truly AMATEUR shitty writer, rather than now a more experienced shitty writer) was a scene with just a sentence or two describing a couple who flirt with each other, and the husband's picking his wife up at the airport after her business trip. The scene and their dialog show how they are highly sexed, think of, and take care of each other.

It's not intended as a well-developed story, but merely the scene which indicates their committed relationship. As with all stories, some people just don't pick up the author's intent, and will always be nay-sayers. But posted in LOVING WIVES, "He Missed You - 750 Words" is (three years later) is at 3.81 with 987 votes! Not bad for a first ever effort.

Edited and submitted "Reunion - An eternal love story in 750 words" today.

Marked to to be published on or after February 1st. I figure Laurel may wanna space a few out.

Need another editing pass at Mittens The Voyeur Cat, then will submit that as well.

For some stunning examples of how to do a lot (of storytelling) with little (number of words) the microbook 'Heating & Cooling' a series of itsy-bitsy mini-stories by Beth Ann Fennelly is an amazing read.

0393356485.01._SX360_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have three complete, just wrestling #4 into the 750 word format and I'll be done.

Readers generally do not respond well to stories of this length. When it comes to stories, it appears that size does matter to most.
Like I said, If you preface the story with one or two sentences that say that this is a complete story in 750 words, they respond quite well. My stories from last year fell within my average story score.

I think one could do it, but it does seem the shorter a story, the more in the moment it need be. I'm starting to think shorter stories require certain skill to be done right. Probably something similar to what song writers and poets have. I've seen those ten word or whatever "stories", and few left some sort of impact. When you're not limiting yourself and going for something conventional, though even if you are going for something conventional, say novel length, even a novelette, there's room to work. 750 word is special to this site, elsewhere there's ten or a hundred word stories.

I've done two 100 words. Runner up is 1K word stories. There's room in relation to these 750words, just gotta be crafted right. I only have two or three published here, but I have seven more I was gonna release in a collection, because I like the idea of doing them. I was a bit surprised when the third one I was doing for this years contest, didn't lend itself to a mere 750 words, however it was perfect for 1K, which is where it landed. There are writers here, I know could knock a 750 out the park. I think I might dig deep and try again.

As I only have the one, I think I'll wait a bit longer in hopes that I get a few hours to write another short-short-
Short Story

Now I've got two started. Tried tinkering with them today, but life is being shitty to me and a bunch of people around me. So, don't think I'll get far on either. :( Really envy all you folks that are whipping these babies out so easily.

Now I've got two started. Tried tinkering with them today, but life is being shitty to me and a bunch of people around me. So, don't think I'll get far on either. :( Really envy all you folks that are whipping these babies out so easily.
Wait, people are whipping things out??? And me without my knee pads. 😲

Seriously, sorry you're having difficulty writing. As I'm sure you know, it comes and goes. Sometimes the words seem to fly, others you have to dig for them. I hope your muse finds you again soon. 🫂

Wait, people are whipping things out??? And me without my knee pads. 😲

Seriously, sorry you're having difficulty writing. As I'm sure you know, it comes and goes. Sometimes the words seem to fly, others you have to dig for them. I hope your muse finds you again soon. 🫂
I’m trying to restrain myself from rapid firing 750 word stories because it feels so nice to write something short xD

Wait, people are whipping things out??? And me without my knee pads
I found that a couple of 750 word stories can plug a hole in a much larger series. I have a event that is important to the plot, but not major enough to make a 22k word story about it. 750 words filled the plot gap nicely.

Just submitted mine today - Kyle's Revenge - an absurdist piece in Incest Taboo about a slacker son getting revenge on his father and older brother.

Back