The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 09

I made a second pot for everyone, so help yourself. Usual warning, tho' - I just finished my third cup of the previous batch, and I'm ready for a nap. (I make it weak!)

I feel for y'all doing the right thing and taking the car keys away from yourselves. C said similar things two weeks ago, that she didn't feel confident enough to drive any more. And I didn't have to push or hint or anything like that, it came out of the blue. She swore off of driving at night three or four years ago, which was at considerable sacrifice because it cut her off from social events. We tried the "chauffeur" thing for a while during evenings, but as luck would have it her primary activity changed focus away from her interests, and she was fine with letting it go.

Anyway, I've known for years that her ability to drive was not the best to begin with; she was prone to slow reactions and failure to recognize pending hazards, so much so that I feared riding with her. Thank goodness she saw the problem on her own.

Sweetcorn and green chile are in the freezer, and I'm having an afternoon snack before moving on to clean the aquarium: a protein bar, and an orange cream flavored seltzer. My back hurts from two hours on my feet. If my job required me to stand all day, then I'd really retire instead of being semi-retired.

Hey, guys and gals, we haven't heard from @Duleigh since last Thursday.

D, you okay? Hurricane Debby is headed in your direction, so I guess you're a little busy battening hatches.

I made a second pot for everyone, so help yourself. Usual warning, tho' - I just finished my third cup of the previous batch, and I'm ready for a nap. (I make it weak!)

I feel for y'all doing the right thing and taking the car keys away from yourselves. C said similar things two weeks ago, that she didn't feel confident enough to drive any more. And I didn't have to push or hint or anything like that, it came out of the blue. She swore off of driving at night three or four years ago, which was at considerable sacrifice because it cut her off from social events. We tried the "chauffeur" thing for a while during evenings, but as luck would have it her primary activity changed focus away from her interests, and she was fine with letting it go.

Anyway, I've known for years that her ability to drive was not the best to begin with; she was prone to slow reactions and failure to recognize pending hazards, so much so that I feared riding with her. Thank goodness she saw the problem on her own.
I told my kids I would decide once I hit 70, figuring that gave me plenty time to factor in ways to get around. But the last time I went to the local store, I realized I was revving the motor but couldn't even feel my foot touching the pedal.

Hey, guys and gals, we haven't heard from @Duleigh since last Thursday.

D, you okay? Hurricane Debby is headed in your direction, so I guess you're a little busy battening hatches.
I have been so busy on my latest book, I did 25k words on it in the past 4 days. (my record for writing is 32k words in 5 days)

Right now I am in the Nassau County Florida Emergency Operations Center in the Auxiliary Communications office surrounded by VHF, UHF, and HF radios monitoring for any call for help and waiting for Tropical Storm Debby to hit. (and I have my laptop open to my new book...)

Two years ago I wrote a little 750 word story about a May/December romance between a disabled woman and her young physical therapist. I got so much positive feedback on that story that I decided to flesh it out a bit. My "granddaughter" @MediocreAuthor challenged me to "go dark" with the story so the history of our disabled patient became very dark, and so did her eventual passing. It's the first time I 'offed' a main character. I had tried in the past but couldn't do it. This time she was gone for good. Of course her lover turned husband was out for revenge.

Saturday Evening became one of my most popular stories and I sent it to my publisher and asked what he thought and could it stand alone. He said "I love it. Give me another 40,000 words and I'll love it enough to publish it.

That's where I've been hiding

Coffee's on!
:coffee:

It's a new day, a Wednesday and a pay day. Can't complain about that.

Coffee and tea all round! Square cups are too hard to drink out of.

Maybe... but the Aussies don't have Jacinda. She got a lot of air time here in the States because a late night talk show host (Steven Colbert) somehow befriended her in his travels and they had a good time yukking it up for his show. She's a neat lady - very witty, very funny, quick with a big, toothy smile. It was pretty easy to have a crush on her.

Two years ago I wrote a little 750 word story about a May/December romance between a disabled woman and her young physical therapist. I got so much positive feedback on that story that I decided to flesh it out a bit. My "granddaughter" @MediocreAuthor challenged me to "go dark" with the story so the history of our disabled patient became very dark, and so did her eventual passing. It's the first time I 'offed' a main character. I had tried in the past but couldn't do it. This time she was gone for good. Of course her lover turned husband was out for revenge.

Saturday Evening became one of my most popular stories and I sent it to my publisher and asked what he thought and could it stand alone. He said "I love it. Give me another 40,000 words and I'll love it enough to publish it.

That's where I've been hiding

Coffee's on!
:coffee:
I've been absent myself, but nothing so noble as writing a novel. Just been having a lot of babysitting duties for my own grandson. Oy vey, such a distraction.

I've been absent myself, but nothing so noble as writing a novel. Just been having a lot of babysitting duties for my own grandson. Oy vey, such a distraction.
That's more than a noble occupation. Just a reminder for the future from a grandfather of 4 who cared for #4 from the age of 3 days to the age of 3 weeks because mom was in the hospital: Babysitters get paid. Grandparents do it for love.

Oh, I'm betting Mary will figure out a way to make her daughter-in-law pay her LOL. After all, she's making her son pay her back for his college and law school!
That's more than a noble occupation. Just a reminder for the future from a grandfather of 4 who cared for #4 from the age of 3 days to the age of 3 weeks because mom was in the hospital: Babysitters get paid. Grandparents do it for love.

I know.
Oh, I'm betting Mary will figure out a way to make her daughter-in-law pay her LOL. After all, she's making her son pay her back for his college and law school!
Ha, ha, ha so NOT funny!

she's making her son pay her back for his college and law school
What a wise woman, However if he does pay her back, I can hear her say "What is this? Some kind of lawyer you turned out to be! Can't even weasel out of a tuition bill? For that I WANT INTEREST ON THIS LOAN!!!"

Back