The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 09

Good Morning!!!
Up and at 'em authors. The sun is up and the rooster is out of breath. Let's get that story finished! Happy endings for everyone!

The coffee is ready Texas style, thick enough to float a horseshoe.

"Dark at 6:00AM" is rapidly approaching. I turned on a light this morning to see how much water I was using to make my coffee.

"Dark at 6:00AM" is rapidly approaching. I turned on a light this morning to see how much water I was using to make my coffee.
Ugh ... I hate getting up before the sun comes up. But it does lead to enjoying the sunrise ...

Thanks, D. Coffee sorely needed. Sky got us up at 6:30. Sort of normal, but C usually takes care of him at that hour and this time insisted that I do it.

With good reason. She fell in the kitchen last night while I was off mowing the lawn at the studio. Fortunately nothing broken nor did she hit anything on the way down, but what has me worried is she does not know why she fell. "Blanked out, I guess," was the best she could come up with. Huge bruise on her hip this morning.

My assessment? I suspect she's over-tired from last week at the cabin. Renters the weekend before us left some nasty messes, and she and I spent two days cleaning and sanitizing. Then she wouldn't leave it alone, using our remaining two days doing maintenance cleaning. She's 77 and certainly not up to that level of energy. So I'm cancelling our time there next week and will drive up by myself to pack our stuff out for the season... and possibly for good. That's another story.

Good Morning!!!
Up and at 'em authors. The sun is up and the rooster is out of breath. Let's get that story finished! Happy endings for everyone!

The coffee is ready Texas style, thick enough to float a horseshoe.
Good evening! Working on it, D, working on it. About 8000 in to my Summer story, which is probably half way. One of my characters decided to throw me a curve and declared she's a lesbian. I didn't know! Shows how observant I am. ☹️

I'll give the coffee a miss, seeming it's midnight.

Thanks, D. Coffee sorely needed. Sky got us up at 6:30. Sort of normal, but C usually takes care of him at that hour and this time insisted that I do it.

With good reason. She fell in the kitchen last night while I was off mowing the lawn at the studio. Fortunately nothing broken nor did she hit anything on the way down, but what has me worried is she does not know why she fell. "Blanked out, I guess," was the best she could come up with. Huge bruise on her hip this morning.

My assessment? I suspect she's over-tired from last week at the cabin. Renters the weekend before us left some nasty messes, and she and I spent two days cleaning and sanitizing. Then she wouldn't leave it alone, using our remaining two days doing maintenance cleaning. She's 77 and certainly not up to that level of energy. So I'm cancelling our time there next week and will drive up by myself to pack our stuff out for the season... and possibly for good. That's another story.
Our sense of balance wanes as we get older and falls can happen for no reason. That might be something a doctor can check, and it's important. There are also exercises that might help. Chloe Tzang (a nurse) pointed out a few years ago that, as we get older, we depend more on our eye sight than our sense of balance to keep ourselves upright.

She gave us a test: close your eyes and try to count to ten while standing on one leg. I was sure I could do that. I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo and I was pleased with my balance. I couldn't even make it to five.

My mom transitioned suddenly from teaching balance classes to falling. She broke her arm, dislocated her shoulder, and snapped her right fibula in three different falls before she decided she could no longer take care of herself. My mom is older than C, but things happen to different people at different times.

C just "graduated" from PT over balance issues, so we have been addressing that. I do think her fatigue from last week is a contributing factor this time, but like the others have been talking about here, she does have peripheral neuropathy issues that aren't helping.

C just "graduated" from PT over balance issues, so we have been addressing that. I do think her fatigue from last week is a contributing factor this time, but like the others have been talking about here, she does have peripheral neuropathy issues that aren't helping.
I hit the bed frame with my little toe the other night. The good part of peripheral neuropathy? I didn't feel it at all. The bad thing? I didn't feel it and could have easily lost my balance and landed on the floor. And according to the neurologist, the TIA I had a few years ago was right in the spot that controls balance.

Sending C good thoughts. :rose:

Had a plumber out today to estimate the cost of installing a sink next to the clothes washer. He ended up estimating the cost of replacing almost all the plumbing, some of which is aging. I told him, "The house is four years younger than I am, and we both have plumbing problems."

He emailed the estimate after I left for work. I was expecting five figures. I wasn't expecting those five figures. We might call someone else and just have the sink installed.

I've already loaded my Crime and Punishment Event story, but I won't submit it until the end of the month trying to hit the September 2 opening day. My publisher checked for AI in 5000-word chunks (overlapping, so there were six checks on the 15,000+ words) and came out at 100% human, 99% human, 98%, 100%, 100%, and 99%, so I think I'm good to go on that. I've never had any check out at less than 95% human when I checked them. So, it should sail through ... or not? 😱 :eek:
Two contest stories (One is my first foray into Loving Wives) and a 100k word novel. I've been busy.

I've already loaded my Crime and Punishment Event story, but I won't submit it until the end of the month trying to hit the September 2 opening day. My publisher checked for AI in 5000-word chunks (overlapping, so there were six checks on the 15,000+ words) and came out at 100% human, 99% human, 98%, 100%, 100%, and 99%, so I think I'm good to go on that. I've never had any check out at less than 95% human when I checked them. So, it should sail through ... or not? 😱 :eek:
I never check because I know every single word I wrote. My publisher says "Yep it's you." We're good. Are you saying that there's reason that you doubt the humanity of your manuscript?

Had a plumber out today to estimate the cost of installing a sink...

Plumbers (including my own semi-pro skills at it) hate working on old pipes. That hatred of redoing old work was apparently reflected in the estimate. What you think might be a simple job suddenly gets whole bunches less simple as you get into the work and things like waste lines crumble away the moment you hang a pipe wrench on it.

We have a powder room sink in our main house that's been out of commission for a couple of years once I discovered the trap was dribbling. It should have been easy... until I saw how deep the pipe went into the wall and how big a problem it was going to be if it didn't cut off cleanly. It was easier just to shut the valves to the faucet since we rarely used it given the kitchen sink is six feet away.

Heh. I wrote about dealing with old plumbing in a story series where the MMC and his entourage have taken on reviving a classic downtown hotel. If you've ever taken a look at the mechanicals in 1920s-era buildings with access confined to hidden mezzanines, you'd want to run away, too.

No, I know I write every word that I write, and I know I'm a human. However, we have people who say they write every word here and get rejected for the possibility that they didn't. I know that AI scraps all writing on the internet to create its work (if you can call it work or product). Because it uses human-written content, any human-written content might be mistaken for AI. I have it checked only for publication here and only because they reject people who are saying they wrote this themselves.

I don't want to be one of those people.

So, when something is going here, I or my editor will check to make sure it doesn't trigger a rejection.
I never check because I know every single word I wrote. My publisher says "Yep it's you." We're good. Are you saying that there's reason that you doubt the humanity of your manuscript?

No, I know I write every word that I write, and I know I'm a human. However, we have people who say they write every word here and get rejected for the possibility that they didn't. I know that AI scraps all writing on the internet to create its work (if you can call it work or product). Because it uses human-written content, any human-written content might be mistaken for AI. I have it checked only for publication here and only because they reject people who are saying they wrote this themselves.

I don't want to be one of those people.

So, when something is going here, I or my editor will check to make sure it doesn't trigger a rejection.
That's the plus side to putting your work on Bookapy.com - no AI is going to pay 5.99 for something.
Then again, my fan fic is quite close to that of the original author. I'll let their estates sue some AI company for copying their work

Back