The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2023 Contest Support Thread

The Countesses of Tannensdal is up. It's 19,000 words, in a deliberately Gothic style. I expect most readers to give up by the second page, but I think it ends strongly, if you make it that far.

ETA: It's not showing up in the list of entries though. Is there a delay? Other stories that were published today are on the list.

Last edited:
I trimmed off the names of the stories, but I doubt it will matter much. Anyone who wants to bomb the entries only needs the contest entry page for a list of a targets, whether they're using a bot or just old-fashioned manual malice.

The Countesses of Tannensdal is up. It's 19,000 words, in a deliberately Gothic style. I expect most readers to give up by the second page, but I think it ends strongly, if you make it that far.

ETA: It's not showing up in the list of entries though. Is there a delay? Other stories that were published today are on the list.
I'm going to rephrase this, because apparently I'm scaring readers away (it's been up and only 120 views so far - and half of those are probably me checking to see whether it's actually up).

So here goes. Forget my earlier comment.

The Countesses of Tannensdal is an amazing story, Your life will be richer, your mind will be fuller, your body will be more satisfied once you've read it. It will take you on a journey to another time and place, full of vivid settings, compelling characters and steamy sex.

(Actual experiences may vary.)

I'm going to rephrase this, because apparently I'm scaring readers away (it's been up and only 120 views so far - and half of those are probably me checking to see whether it's actually up).

So here goes. Forget my earlier comment.

The Countesses of Tannensdal is an amazing story, Your life will be richer, your mind will be fuller, your body will be more satisfied once you've read it. It will take you on a journey to another time and place, full of vivid settings, compelling characters and steamy sex.

(Actual experiences may vary.)

Erotic Horror is the catch here, it's a slow traffic category with a small readership. So 120 views early isn't bad at all, and to touch over 5K is rare for fresh stories. That said, and taking a peak at it, it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Adding to my reading list. :)

Edit: On a positive note, this being a contest entry should guarantee more eyes for you!

Something seems to have gone with its entry, even though I included "Halloween 2023" in the Admin Notes box and as a tag. Maybe it isn't scary enough.

This seems a case that it might have been missed, I'd send a direct message to Laurel if I were you.

Yup, did that once I saw that other stories that were published this morning had been added to the list but mine hadn't.

OK, enough feeling sorry for myself. Time to write some Sword & Sorcery & Sex!

Yup, did that once I saw that other stories that were published this morning had been added to the list but mine hadn't.

OK, enough feeling sorry for myself. Time to write some Sword & Sorcery & Sex!
I wouldn't worry too much...
I've had 3k views and only 8 votes... 😭

My Halloween disast—ah, story, is currently at 10K words and counting. The setup, early work, end, and a bunch of pieces in the middle are all done but that leaves plugging holes, including the sex scenes. Hey, for an erotic story, that sounds somewhat appropriate.

So, Baptism in Blood fell to 4.49.

I could-a been a contender, instead of a bum, which is what I am.

Edit: 4.47 will the fall never end?

Last edited:
I trimmed off the names of the stories, but I doubt it will matter much. Anyone who wants to bomb the entries only needs the contest entry page for a list of a targets, whether they're using a bot or just old-fashioned manual malice.

I get it. But it's been considered "bad form" to post things like that in the Support threads for a long time. I mean, we all know it's a competition, but these threads aren't really meant to be competitive. If that makes sense.

Ooo, that's an interesting idea.

Belle, if you don't write it, I'll have a crack.
Hey! Why don't we each do a version of it? I bet they'd be different enough to both be interesting.
Erotic Horror is the catch here, it's a slow traffic category with a small readership. So 120 views early isn't bad at all, and to touch over 5K is rare for fresh stories. That said, and taking a peak at it, it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Adding to my reading list. :)

Edit: On a positive note, this being a contest entry should guarantee more eyes for you!
If it wasn't specifically a Halloween contest entry, I wouldn't have submitted in Erotic Horror. But, it's the appropriate category for my st.
I aim to please.
I appreciated the Fountains of Wayne shout out. Stacey's mom, indeed...

Also, my story has 2k views now, 7 entire votes, and a score of 4.43 (according to my authors panel). So, ok, maybe they don't completely hate it.

OK, but only if we call it "Melissa's awesome idea for a story" challenge 😄 😎

I can see it developed as a fun story, a sort of satire about voyeurism, or a gripping horror story. Or even a series of stories, with the main character being sort of like "the Crypt Keeper", introducing the stories of different people who check into the room.

Actually, the problem was, I tried to make it all those thing at once. 😁

I can see it developed as a fun story, a sort of satire about voyeurism, or a gripping horror story. Or even a series of stories, with the main character being sort of like "the Crypt Keeper", introducing the stories of different people who check into the room.

Actually, the problem was, I tried to make it all those thing at once. 😁
Cool, so now you've got a year to figure it out, and we can have three versions in next year's competition.
Dibs on the "gripping horror" version. 😉😈👹🫠

Hey! Why don't we each do a version of it? I bet they'd be different enough to both be interesting.

I appreciated the Fountains of Wayne shout out. Stacey's mom, indeed...

Also, my story has 2k views now, 7 entire votes, and a score of 4.43 (according to my authors panel). So, ok, maybe they don't completely hate it.
Still chipping away at yours, Belle. Pretty good, so you'll soon be up to 8 votes. :giggle:

Yeah, MrP also noticed the Easter eggs. Stacy's mom came on the radio and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Sort of like what happens early in your story. 😬

One that may have slipped past is the local sticky beak, Mrs Lovejoy. Not a musical reference.

I think all our styles are so different that MAIFAS would be outstanding.

One that may have slipped past is the local sticky beak, Mrs Lovejoy. Not a musical reference.
Yeah, I figured there were more, but I assumed the Ozzie* ones just went over my head.

(The country of course, not the bat eater)

Back