The Travel Thread

Moin Moin nach Sylt! Fantastische Bilder!
Are we allowed to speak German here? I miss German, I’m starting to lose it because I never use it.

I have tentative plans to go somewhere where German is spoken in December. Need me some Weihnachtsmarkt goodness. And when I’m there I swear I’ll speak German to everyone that crosses my path then, gotta get the language resuscitated. 😂

Are we allowed to speak German here? I miss German, I’m starting to lose it because I never use it.

I have tentative plans to go somewhere where German is spoken in December. Need me some Weihnachtsmarkt goodness. And when I’m there I swear I’ll speak German to everyone that crosses my path then, gotta get the language resuscitated. 😂
We can practice together! I am not a native speaker but I am fluent and am often mistaken for a local 😂😘

We can practice together! I am not a native speaker but I am fluent and am often mistaken for a local 😂😘
Well I’m not fluent at all so I’m not worried about native/non-native. 😂 I should just use the damn language… There should be a thread for practicing German, a Stammtisch, if you will. Maybe I’ll start one if there are others who’d like to give their German a go, regardless of the level of fluency or if it’s a native language or not.

On topic: Which Christmas markets would you (general you, not just Anastasia) recommend in the German speaking world? 🎄

Thanks! The one with the beach chairs is my favorite. Those chairs is what I think of when I think of Sylt. :)

The Sylt beach chairs are something that profoundly confused me; because nobody cared if I had rented one or not, I could use them, even though there were the huts to rent them. Usually beach chairs are either locked and you get the key when you rent them or some guy walks around and collects the fee. But there...nothing and this during the peak season.

Beautiful pics, Primalex! (I tried to say this yesterday, but I was away from home, and my phone wouldn't post for some reason.)

As for German, I've recently started learning it, and I suck. :LOL:

There should be a thread for practicing German, a Stammtisch, if you will. Maybe I’ll start one if there are others who’d like to give their German a go, regardless of the level of fluency or if it’s a native language or not.

My written German is atrocious but I’m game. Might have to storm the German board for that though depending on the rules. TPH?

On topic: Which Christmas markets would you (general you, not just Anastasia) recommend in the German speaking world? 🎄

Viennese Christkindlmarkt is nice. And you can get hot chestnuts to warm your hands and eat.

Lübeck has lots of really nice things but enough people that I don’t want to see humans until next Christmas.
I liked Wismar a lot but it’s not very big.

The Sylt beach chairs are something that profoundly confused me; because nobody cared if I had rented one or not, I could use them, even though there were the huts to rent them. Usually beach chairs are either locked and you get the key when you rent them or some guy walks around and collects the fee. But there...nothing and this during the peak season.

Possibly depending on the time of day? Like if someone had already paid and left.

My written German is atrocious but I’m game. Might have to storm the German board for that though depending on the rules. TPH?

Viennese Christkindlmarkt is nice. And you can get hot chestnuts to warm your hands and eat.

Lübeck has lots of really nice things but enough people that I don’t want to see humans until next Christmas.
I liked Wismar a lot but it’s not very big.
Vienna was a tradition for many years. It would be nice to go, so it’s definitely a contender. Especially as I’d swing by Bratislava as well, so I’d get two Christmas markets for the price of one. Lübeck looks great and I’ve never been there, so that looks interesting! Thanks for the suggestion! Hamburg might be a possibility too, mostly due to easy and cheap flights…

Has anyone been to Berlin for the Christmas markets? Many list it among the best cities for Christmas, but I’m a little dubious somehow. It’s not necessarily the most cute Christmas atmospheric city, so I have a little bit of a hard time imagining it being among the best.

As for the German practice thread, I don’t know if I want to start it anywhere else than here. Posting elsewhere is scary! 😳 Or maybe I’ll just have to find some other outlet than Lit for all my German needs.

Good suggestion to run the idea by @ToPleaseHim and see what she thinks.

Has anyone been to Berlin for the Christmas markets? Many list it among the best cities for Christmas, but I’m a little dubious somehow. It’s not necessarily the most cute Christmas atmospheric city, so I have a little bit of a hard time imagining it being among the best.

I’ve been while there were Christmas Markets and I can’t say I felt the cheer. I was there for work though and it was early season, so it might be different later and having the right frame of mind.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be ok to have a foreign-language practice board on English Lit. Like, I've always wanted to practice my Spanish, for example, but I didn't want to inflict my awful language skills on the poor Spanish board users. Besides, we did have the voice thread where we all spoke in English and also in other languages, too.

Just my opinion, though. :)

Is there going to be heating and electricity in Germany in December? Is this going to be another Weihnachtsmarkt-less year for me? Those are the travel related questions I wonder about.

I share y'all's sentiments about the German board here. *shudders*

The Christkindlesmarkt in Nürnberg is the best one! Of course I might be slightly biased :D It's not huge like the ones in the bigger cities but instead has an intimate feel to it. The aroma of our Bratwurst and Lebkuchen, the lights, the Glühwein... it's lovely. If you can make it on the first day, you can see the Christkind herself standing up on the balcony of the church and reciting the prologue as she officially opens "her" market. It never fails to move me to tears, even when I can only watch it on feckin' youtube from over here!

German language thread? I'm game. Native speaker here. :)

As for whether there will be heating and electricity, I have wondered about that too. Thanks to colossal fuck ups by various politicians in the last decade or so things look pretty dire.

Roadtrip on my own, with good music and beautiful fall colours, to spend the weekend with old friends and World Heritage.
A nice mix of alone time and company and I still have a few hours to spend with family and my old friend Laundry.

9D113AA6-1B5D-4438-A9C1-F48E13C50A2D.jpeg459F80C4-7030-44F4-91A2-3B29EEB59445.jpeg38590E8F-3601-4A5E-9B29-D8DCEDFDC91F.jpeg

Roadtrip on my own, with good music and beautiful fall colours, to spend the weekend with old friends and World Heritage.
A nice mix of alone time and company and I still have a few hours to spend with family and my old friend Laundry.

View attachment 2180343View attachment 2180344View attachment 2180345
So nice that you’re still in contact and get together regularly after all those years! I’ve been spoiled with pretty fall colors, the sea and the sky lately, too. The weekend was really lovely. No cows, though.

So nice that you’re still in contact and get together regularly after all those years! I’ve been spoiled with pretty fall colors, the sea and the sky lately, too. The weekend was really lovely. No cows, though.

It was interesting how, with the washed out colours of the landscape, the cows seemed coulorful.

Yes, it’s cool that we actually still manage to get together. I guess it comes from spending very formative years together under pretty difficult circumstances.

Probably my 1st post on forum. I am visiting London in a week or so for 2 weeks. It will be my first time in London so seeking sone guidance around to make the most of it.

Won't mind a partner too post work hours :)

Is there going to be heating and electricity in Germany in December? Is this going to be another Weihnachtsmarkt-less year for me? Those are the travel related questions I wonder about.

Not Germany but Christmas market and day trip rather than real travel, but still very nice.

3E058336-255D-49AE-A02B-B2FD3AAAABB9.jpeg11FA163E-FAC3-4242-88FC-2942FA4AB7AA.jpegEA6DDBD5-5A6B-4DFB-B3B2-DF7B8A34C956.jpeg6F3AC47C-36F0-4381-8099-02C7F29AC73D.jpegF2C932A9-8009-440E-A4A3-7250A2883994.jpegDAB263BA-0427-43E2-82A3-B31A67DCF322.jpeg

It's December and I can confirm that my place is warm and there is still electricity, too. Therefore it's a valid travel destination. :cool:

IMG-20221203-WA0000.jpeg

It's December and I can confirm that my place is warm and there is still electricity, too. Therefore it's a valid travel destination. :cool:

View attachment 2192527
Is that an invitation to come to your place? Is it a trap? 🤔

I scrapped the plan to go to Germany, because I’ve been so tired that I just haven’t had the spoons to think of any of the logistics like where to go, when, booking flights and hotels etc.

Instead I just did a little one night trip locally and it was absolute perfection with beautiful weather and good food. Also, it took almost zero planning, so that was the biggest perk considering my general brain-friedness.

Attachments

• 56B10835-6C65-4F98-807B-B00B0DDC9950.jpeg
    56B10835-6C65-4F98-807B-B00B0DDC9950.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 0EBD0A54-3DAC-4C68-B0E1-30D4E63FF026.jpeg
    0EBD0A54-3DAC-4C68-B0E1-30D4E63FF026.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 19
  • D2D26D6C-D3FA-48B5-811E-B8606952939B.jpeg
    D2D26D6C-D3FA-48B5-811E-B8606952939B.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 19
  • D3246CEB-B095-4D60-8D95-DF0972B1E325.jpeg
    D3246CEB-B095-4D60-8D95-DF0972B1E325.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 19
Is that an invitation to come to your place? Is it a trap? 🤔

I scrapped the plan to go to Germany, because I’ve been so tired that I just haven’t had the spoons to think of any of the logistics like where to go, when, booking flights and hotels etc.

Instead I just did a little one night trip locally and it was absolute perfection with beautiful weather and good food. Also, it took almost zero planning, so that was the biggest perk considering my general brain-friedness.
That looks amazing Seela! I so want to get to that part of the world!

Yesterday on jeopardy, they had a question about Finland.

Q: This countries wood poem is called the Kalevala.
A: what is Finland.

One day I will see the northern lights.

That looks amazing Seela! I so want to get to that part of the world!

Yesterday on jeopardy, they had a question about Finland.

Q: This countries wood poem is called the Kalevala.
A: what is Finland.

One day I will see the northern lights.
Wood poem? Never heard Kalevala be called that 👀

But it's worth travelling here. For the the northern lights you need to come in winter and probably go to Lapland, as in the south those lights are too occasional for a traveller to catch. Magnific, though not how most of us here actually live.

You might want to see the light nights of the summer, too... Even though the sun does set in southern Finland, the light doesn't quite disappear - this pic I took on Midsummer night this year:

Back