The Travel Thread

This sounds like a nice trip. Sorry to hear it might not happen.

Ooh, the scenery there is amazing. Nice to hear that you got the problems sorted and made it to Slovenia. Also, pics please! 🤩

A friend of mine just returned from Slovenia after visiting it for the first time. She’s completely in love with the country now and plans to go there again in August.

Yep, made it here but spent the first days fighting bureucracy.

Glad your friend enjoyed it!

I’ll send pictures another way. For some reason I take bunches of pics but don’t do much with them this trip, so you might get drowned when I get to it.

Here are a few sea views for @BiBunny ☺️

I had a great day in Howth. Zero kicks in the head, too!

Attachments

• 627EB630-75C9-4A13-999A-4EF8762AB156.jpeg
    627EB630-75C9-4A13-999A-4EF8762AB156.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 10
  • 48A0077B-D290-431E-BFCE-D116EA5E1A4D.jpeg
    48A0077B-D290-431E-BFCE-D116EA5E1A4D.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 10
Went to the House on the Rock recently.
If you're a Neil Gaimann fan, it was a setting for American Gods.
If you're an architecture fan, it is breathtaking in its own right, but minutes away from Frank Lloyd Wright's studios and museum.

Think; what would a 10 year old boy do with unlimited money.
The best description I can come up with is one sprawling Surrealist installation piece.
And what ever you see or read about it will fall short of the reality. (Arrive when the doors open, it deserves the full day.)

The guy behind it was a bit of a hedonist from a more repressed era.

I'm a bit late, the trip was from the 8th - 10th.

As part of my UNESCO world heritage bucket list - the Upper Middle Rhine Valley. Forgive me, it's kinda difficult to capture a whole valley with sixty towns, but I tried my best:

This is an insanely beautiful part of the world.

Before I got fat and lazy, I dreamed of a biking trips along the rivers in Germany. I’d still love to go, but now I need to find me a chauffeur first. ☺️

If you're an architecture fan, it is breathtaking in its own right, but minutes away from Frank Lloyd Wright's studios and museum.

The best description I can come up with is one sprawling Surrealist installation piece.
And what ever you see or read about it will fall short of the reality. (Arrive when the doors open, it deserves the full day.)

It’s quite something if the pics in the gallery of that site are anything to go by!

The Chicago trip is happening and I’m so nervous. I’m also excited to see a new city. The area we’re visiting is really nice and has so many interesting parks and museums. I just hope I’ll have the energy to enjoy some sightseeing but I’ll be happy if I get to just enjoy some interesting restaurants or something if for multiple reasons I find I can’t go out.

The Chicago trip is happening and I’m so nervous. I’m also excited to see a new city. The area we’re visiting is really nice and has so many interesting parks and museums. I just hope I’ll have the energy to enjoy some sightseeing but I’ll be happy if I get to just enjoy some interesting restaurants or something if for multiple reasons I find I can’t go out.
This sounds so great! I hope you have a wonderful time. 🤩

This is an insanely beautiful part of the world.

Before I got fat and lazy, I dreamed of a biking trips along the rivers in Germany. I’d still love to go, but now I need to find me a chauffeur first. ☺️

E-Bikes are a thing.

Last italian type on-the-move breakfast for this trip.
And some sea, mountain and river too.

Attachments

• 45A4ECA7-DA63-4B7C-A28F-3994CBA81377.jpeg
    45A4ECA7-DA63-4B7C-A28F-3994CBA81377.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 12
  • A351CF1B-3269-42A1-A111-021E9DB0CED6.jpeg
    A351CF1B-3269-42A1-A111-021E9DB0CED6.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 12
  • 6BB6398A-2068-4105-9059-8BC24DFAF278.jpeg
    6BB6398A-2068-4105-9059-8BC24DFAF278.jpeg
    600.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 277EA065-16D2-42E0-B310-458AB69327C5.jpeg
    277EA065-16D2-42E0-B310-458AB69327C5.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 12
It’s quite something if the pics in the gallery of that site are anything to go by!
I could see someone walking away saying, "I don't get it".
But if you "get it" at all, the photos & videos on line cannot do House on the Rock justice. The organ room, for example, has to have more than 15m ceiling. It has catwalks between the different banks of pipes and sculptures everywhere.
The carousel room is just overwhelming. And there is just so much.
The most unsettling thing was the collection of antique ivory & scrimshaw. That was a lot of endangered species bits in one place. Antique, mind you, but still.

The light came on for me that this thing was one huge Surrealist work at the sculpture that was a Rube Goldberg cartoon brought to life.

Well here's another place added to my bucket list

20 mins to check in the luggage and get through the security check was a lot faster than I had prepared for. I’ve stood in longer lines for gelato. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The Chicago trip was a success. I didn’t get sick which was nice (I’m the weirdo that brought disinfecting wipes to clean all the surfaces I came in contact with in the airport and plane wearing the double mask :p). There were signs everywhere advising the airport staff/security would not tolerate your shit and were happy to toss you out with a huge fine so that was interesting. The pilots also made announcements to the passengers to respect the decision of staff and fellow passengers to protect themselves. Though masks were rare. I also witnessed an airport restaurant cashier digging deep into their nose so… you go humanity! 😑 Traveling has gotten so strange over the years.

The city was great. It’s wider than expected and it felt like it was so spacious. I didn’t really take any pictures, at least nothing worth sharing. I find it cumbersome to take pictures and usually just prefer to enjoy the moment. I also don’t like people showing me their camera reel so I don’t like to subject others to it either. I found it funny that the heat was a big topic because it was low 80s while there and that’s pretty mild in my neck of the woods. We could still go out even at noon with the sun high so I felt it was warm but still bearable. The food was so good! I got to try an Italian beef sandwich and a Chicago deep dish pizza and found both to be very tasty. I wouldn’t eat either on a regular basis though. I gained a couple of pounds on this trip. 😓

It was enjoyable, I would return if given the opportunity. 🙂

The Chicago trip was a success. I didn’t get sick which was nice (I’m the weirdo that brought disinfecting wipes to clean all the surfaces I came in contact with in the airport and plane wearing the double mask :p). There were signs everywhere advising the airport staff/security would not tolerate your shit and were happy to toss you out with a huge fine so that was interesting. The pilots also made announcements to the passengers to respect the decision of staff and fellow passengers to protect themselves. Though masks were rare. I also witnessed an airport restaurant cashier digging deep into their nose so… you go humanity! 😑 Traveling has gotten so strange over the years.

The city was great. It’s wider than expected and it felt like it was so spacious. I didn’t really take any pictures, at least nothing worth sharing. I find it cumbersome to take pictures and usually just prefer to enjoy the moment. I also don’t like people showing me their camera reel so I don’t like to subject others to it either. I found it funny that the heat was a big topic because it was low 80s while there and that’s pretty mild in my neck of the woods. We could still go out even at noon with the sun high so I felt it was warm but still bearable. The food was so good! I got to try an Italian beef sandwich and a Chicago deep dish pizza and found both to be very tasty. I wouldn’t eat either on a regular basis though. I gained a couple of pounds on this trip. 😓

It was enjoyable, I would return if given the opportunity. 🙂
This sounds wonderful!

I don’t think you (or gracie) are allowed to take part in discussions about heat because you’re used to inhumane conditions. :p Although I get it, I’m the same way with cold and dark. “Why are you complaining about the days being short when you get hours of light a day and you can see the blue sky almost daily?”

Counting down the days until I get to head back to winter and the mountains, totally ready to get out of the heat. Over summer

Counting down the days until I get to head back to winter and the mountains, totally ready to get out of the heat. Over summer
Where are you? Does it get really hot?

I’m looking forward to the crisp fall days with changing leaves. It’s my favorite time of year. :) But I’m not over summer yet, though. I hope there will be a few more warm days left before I return to work.

And when I do return to work, I’ll have to mark my next vacation in the calendar so that I have something to look forward to. I was thinking about visiting some Christmas market in early December, but no clear plan yet.

Where are you? Does it get really hot?

I’m looking forward to the crisp fall days with changing leaves. It’s my favorite time of year. :) But I’m not over summer yet, though. I hope there will be a few more warm days left before I return to work.

And when I do return to work, I’ll have to mark my next vacation in the calendar so that I have something to look forward to. I was thinking about visiting some Christmas market in early December, but no clear plan yet.

I'm in the New York City area. This time of year, it's not only very hot, but humid and sticky as well. I've spent plenty of time down at the beach this summer where it's much more comfortable, but back in the city for the next week and a half before I can escape to the water again.

Fall is my favorite time of year as well (it's NYCs best season too). Weather cooling off, everyone back in town after scattering for the summer. Football season, baseball playoffs, leaves changing color.

Heading to South America in a few weeks though, so so so excited for my first trip south of the equator

I'm in the New York City area. This time of year, it's not only very hot, but humid and sticky as well. I've spent plenty of time down at the beach this summer where it's much more comfortable, but back in the city for the next week and a half before I can escape to the water again.

Fall is my favorite time of year as well (it's NYCs best season too). Weather cooling off, everyone back in town after scattering for the summer. Football season, baseball playoffs, leaves changing color.

Heading to South America in a few weeks though, so so so excited for my first trip south of the equator
NYC, huh. I’ll be (hopefully) asking for tips for that neck of the woods later on. Tentative plans in place for a trip at the end of March/beginning of April.

Fall really is the best for many reasons. :)

I hope your trip exceeds your expectations!

Back