The Travel Thread

Also another thing I thought about, is the geographic location. If you come to Europe, for example, from Australia or the US, maybe a tour is a good idea. That way you can maybe pack more into that trip than you would if you did it all on your own and you don't have to spend a lot of time planning how to get to places and where to stay. If you're already in Europe, you can do shorter trips more often and don't have to jam pack the itinerary. If you come from far away, you maybe want to make sure you cram in a lot of stuff in the time you spend in Europe.

I stumbled across a reference to the Royal Scotsman in a magazine and googled it. I found the opulence fascinating and thought it would be a great way to see bits of Scotland if I ever became independently wealthy.

We have discussed tours for exactly as you deduced. Since we don't know the ins and outs of a country and have such a limited time, a tour seems an excellent way to cope with transfers and getting where we need to go with the least amount of hassle. This would leave us free to just take everything in. Americans are not well versed in train or bus travel as we live for the American highway and the open road. A car is a rite of passage for so many US teens.

I stumbled across a reference to the Royal Scotsman in a magazine and googled it. I found the opulence fascinating and thought it would be a great way to see bits of Scotland if I ever became independently wealthy.

We have discussed tours for exactly as you deduced. Since we don't know the ins and outs of a country and have such a limited time, a tour seems an excellent way to cope with transfers and getting where we need to go with the least amount of hassle. This would leave us free to just take everything in. Americans are not well versed in train or bus travel as we live for the American highway and the open road. A car is a rite of passage for so many US teens.

That's a good point too about not being used to figuring out public transportations if you've never had to do it. For me public transport and figuring it all out is a part of what makes travel fun - it's moment like those that feel like I can blend in with regular people and watch normal life happen around me.

Except in Minsk. There people stared my bare legs and I didn't blend in at all. It was warm, my dress wasn't obscenely short or anything, but I wasn't wearing pantyhose. I realized on day two that all women in Minsk wear pantyhose if they wear a dress, no matter how warm the weather. After a round of pantyhose shopping they stopped staring at my naked legs.

I've been making some travel plans for summer. No plans for a trip abroad yet, because I don't know when I'll get vaccinated and without a vaccination travel is a hassle. But I'll travel domestically and I've found some nice places already that I hadn't thought of visiting before. :)

I'm very much ready to be able to travel. Even with the pandemic, I don't really have the funds to travel much right now though. It is so good to experience other places.

I'm very much ready to be able to travel. Even with the pandemic, I don't really have the funds to travel much right now though. It is so good to experience other places.

Having travel backlog seems to be common. I just read that the number of passports being renewed has multiplied here compared to last year, people are getting ready to travel. I bet lots of people are wanting to experience something more than the walls of their own home for a change.

I definitely am ready!

Last place we visited, a few months pre-covid, was Vietnam...we loved that country so much that we're discussing a lot whether we'd go back there again next, with so many other places yet to see. All subject to when borders open up again and whether we have the money anyway.

Last place we visited, a few months pre-covid, was Vietnam...we loved that country so much that we're discussing a lot whether we'd go back there again next, with so many other places yet to see. All subject to when borders open up again and whether we have the money anyway.

I’m thinking about my first trip being the same as the last before COVID.

Where did you go in Vietnam, what did you enjoy the most? Was the food amazing? :)

I’m thinking about my first trip being the same as the last before COVID.

Where did you go in Vietnam, what did you enjoy the most? Was the food amazing? :)

We only went for about 2 1/2 weeks which is pretty minimal to really see a country. My instinct was to head north, and I think that was a good choice. Ho Chi Min felt a bit more westernized, but Hanoi is really cool. Some feel to the city that we fell in love with. We of course did an overnight cruise on Halong Bay. We headed up to Sapa Valley in the Northwest, definitely one of our favorite places. So Hanoi was a base up there.

We then headed to Hoi An, a nice little city in Central Vietnam. We met an Aussie expat there in a pub who helped us organise a couple of little trips, e.g. up the river dropping in at a couple of little villages. TBH we got a bit lazy there and spent lots of time lazing and drinking a bit much. :)

Something we fluked a bit...beginning of September is perfect, just prior to rice harvesting so the countryside and valleys are all in their gold/green glory. Also, which we never knew till we got there, there are about three weeks where they celebrate unification, and some countries cannot get visas at that time (not sure, I presume some political factor). But places like Halong Bay are relatively free of teeming crowds.

Food is yum, and as a bit of a beer lover I was surprised by the quality of their craft beers. Really nice! Overall nice people, beautiful country.

We only went for about 2 1/2 weeks which is pretty minimal to really see a country. My instinct was to head north, and I think that was a good choice. Ho Chi Min felt a bit more westernized, but Hanoi is really cool. Some feel to the city that we fell in love with. We of course did an overnight cruise on Halong Bay. We headed up to Sapa Valley in the Northwest, definitely one of our favorite places. So Hanoi was a base up there.

We then headed to Hoi An, a nice little city in Central Vietnam. We met an Aussie expat there in a pub who helped us organise a couple of little trips, e.g. up the river dropping in at a couple of little villages. TBH we got a bit lazy there and spent lots of time lazing and drinking a bit much. :)

Something we fluked a bit...beginning of September is perfect, just prior to rice harvesting so the countryside and valleys are all in their gold/green glory. Also, which we never knew till we got there, there are about three weeks where they celebrate unification, and some countries cannot get visas at that time (not sure, I presume some political factor). But places like Halong Bay are relatively free of teeming crowds.

Food is yum, and as a bit of a beer lover I was surprised by the quality of their craft beers. Really nice! Overall nice people, beautiful country.

This sounds really lovely!

My best friend spent a month in Vietnam on her honeymoon and the pics, stories and recipes she brought back were great.

Great thread idea! I love to travel and been so fortunate to visit so many different places - this past year has been tough. I did manage to sneak out of the country this past winter to Costa Rica - loved it, particularly seeing a sloth in the wild - my spirit animal! :D

Now looking at summer options - not so many places are open to Americans right now, but getting there. I'm fully vaccinated, so ready to hit the road - looks like southwest Europe right now.

My favorite city in the world though is Istanbul - its magical (well, except for the traffic!) - the food, the sights, the people. It's the only place I really enjoy going back to over and over again...

Having travel backlog seems to be common. I just read that the number of passports being renewed has multiplied here compared to last year, people are getting ready to travel. I bet lots of people are wanting to experience something more than the walls of their own home for a change.

I definitely am ready!

I am too!

Yeah we have shiny new passports waiting for their first stamp.

Thought we might make Ireland this year but it ain't gonna happen!

Maybe next year...

Great thread idea! I love to travel and been so fortunate to visit so many different places - this past year has been tough. I did manage to sneak out of the country this past winter to Costa Rica - loved it, particularly seeing a sloth in the wild - my spirit animal! :D

Now looking at summer options - not so many places are open to Americans right now, but getting there. I'm fully vaccinated, so ready to hit the road - looks like southwest Europe right now.

My favorite city in the world though is Istanbul - its magical (well, except for the traffic!) - the food, the sights, the people. It's the only place I really enjoy going back to over and over again...

Seeing a sloth would be cool! I hope I'll get to see a manatee and a platypus in the wild some day. Then I can die happy.

I've actually been in a car that went the wrong direction on a highway in Istanbul. I do not recommend that experience. :eek:

I met my pen pal from like 5th grade in Istanbul and her husband was driving. He missed an exit, came up at a wrong spot of the highway, then started driving in the wrong direction until there was a gap in the center divider fence thingy and he could go in the right lane we were supposed to end up at. It was crazy.

I am too!
Where would you like to go? :)

Yeah we have shiny new passports waiting for their first stamp.

Thought we might make Ireland this year but it ain't gonna happen!

Maybe next year...

I hope you'll get to do that! I'd like to go to Ireland too.

My passport has only been on one trip because I renewed in December before the pandemic. No stamps.

Seeing a sloth would be cool! I hope I'll get to see a manatee and a platypus in the wild some day. Then I can die happy.

I've actually been in a car that went the wrong direction on a highway in Istanbul. I do not recommend that experience. :eek:

I met my pen pal from like 5th grade in Istanbul and her husband was driving. He missed an exit, came up at a wrong spot of the highway, then started driving in the wrong direction until there was a gap in the center divider fence thingy and he could go in the right lane we were supposed to end up at. It was crazy.

That's insane! certainly ranks up there as a "crazy" travel experience, particularly in Istanbul. Though I must say where I currently live I've never heard of so many wrong-way accidents and deaths happening on the freeways around the city. People here transcend stupid (it's also the state where they are "auditing" the votes from the last election)...

Any other "memorable" - in that, no, don't need to do that again - travel experiences?

That's insane! certainly ranks up there as a "crazy" travel experience, particularly in Istanbul. Though I must say where I currently live I've never heard of so many wrong-way accidents and deaths happening on the freeways around the city. People here transcend stupid (it's also the state where they are "auditing" the votes from the last election)...

Any other "memorable" - in that, no, don't need to do that again - travel experiences?

We were backpacking on our honeymoon, arrived late to Trieste and just saw the back lights of the last bus for the night leaving the station. We decided to take a cab to the hotel where we had planned to stay for the night and at last found a driver who could take us, despite having to cross the border to Slovenia.
He somehow managed to drive his old car at the speed of light, while talking at the same speed and waving his arms wildly.
At the border he had to stop and deposit his radio and there was road work going on and only one lane for both directions on the very curvy, dark and steep road.
Our dear italian drove even wilder, half turning to tell us all his feelings about road work in general and this particular one especially.
There were no working seat belts, we checked an extra time at this point and when my husband reached for the grab handle in one extra vicious turn, it came loose and he landed on top of me.
I remember staring with great focus on the rosary dangling from the rear view mirror (not being catholic) the whole way and hoping that our dear driver had been doing his confessions in a timely manner.

We were backpacking on our honeymoon, arrived late to Trieste and just saw the back lights of the last bus for the night leaving the station. We decided to take a cab to the hotel where we had planned to stay for the night and at last found a driver who could take us, despite having to cross the border to Slovenia.
He somehow managed to drive his old car at the speed of light, while talking at the same speed and waving his arms wildly.
At the border he had to stop and deposit his radio and there was road work going on and only one lane for both directions on the very curvy, dark and steep road.
Our dear italian drove even wilder, half turning to tell us all his feelings about road work in general and this particular one especially.
There were no working seat belts, we checked an extra time at this point and when my husband reached for the grab handle in one extra vicious turn, it came loose and he landed on top of me.
I remember staring with great focus on the rosary dangling from the rear view mirror (not being catholic) the whole way and hoping that our dear driver had been doing his confessions in a timely manner.

Yikes! If it isn't on tracks or in the air, I drive myself now.

I remember taking a night bus into the western Himalayas. As we got higher into the mountains, the road became literally etched onto the side of a mountain, with a several hundred foot drop down - we happened to stop at a little roadside town with cafes and tire repair shops and could see into the abyss. Sipping some tea, I walked around a bit to stretch the legs and came across our bus driver smoking some hash. I looked at him in shock and he replied in broken English - "no worry, drive good, this (holding out the pipe), this make road look bigger".

I didn't get much sleep the rest of the drive...

o_O

This reminds me of the friend-of-a-friend who shared a car ride with Rammstein. Apparently they're not the greatest believers in road rules. Who'd have thought it?

The night I spent on a Romanian train station with the homeless. I wouldn’t do that again although it wasn’t a bad experience. Some a little bit sketchy moments though...

Yikes! If it isn't on tracks or in the air, I drive myself now.

I remember taking a night bus into the western Himalayas. As we got higher into the mountains, the road became literally etched onto the side of a mountain, with a several hundred foot drop down - we happened to stop at a little roadside town with cafes and tire repair shops and could see into the abyss. Sipping some tea, I walked around a bit to stretch the legs and came across our bus driver smoking some hash. I looked at him in shock and he replied in broken English - "no worry, drive good, this (holding out the pipe), this make road look bigger".

I didn't get much sleep the rest of the drive...
Ah, the nice kind of road, where part of the bus hangs outside the road? They’re just great aren’t they.
When you’re on a motorcycle and look down where the road curves in, you realize that you are actually leaning out over the drop.
I decided not to look down.

o_O

This reminds me of the friend-of-a-friend who shared a car ride with Rammstein. Apparently they're not the greatest believers in road rules. Who'd have thought it?
I’m shocked!

I'm Google Streetviewing some of my favorite Warsaw spots and listening to some of my favorite Polish music.

Sooooo...

Yes, I'm very eager to go back. :D

It’s a beutiful sunny day here and the streets are full of happy people. Somehow the feeling in town made me both happy and a bit wistful, because it is a vacation feeling.
I long for some places close to my heart…

Last edited:

I haven't been on the Royal Scotsman but have been up to the Highlands many times and can assure you that the scenery is breathtaking. A Train journey up there might take you over the Glenfinnan viaduct, which you may remember from a particular movie...

10289868.jpg

I haven't been on the Royal Scotsman but have been up to the Highlands many times and can assure you that the scenery is breathtaking. A Train journey up there might take you over the Glenfinnan viaduct, which you may remember from a particular movie...

10289868.jpg

Beautiful! There is so much I want to see but never had the opportunity when I was younger. I've lost so much time and covid certainly didn't help.

Back