This thread is going to the dogs...

47942418853_ba3c606912_c.jpg

A restless night tending my elderly and ailing support dog. I don't remember the last time I slept more than a doze just two hours or a little less since bringing her back from the vet and a diagnosis of cancer. Because she hasn't slept longer than two hours at a time.

Exhausted mentally and emotionally as well as physically exacerbating my own illness, but after eleven and a half years of her supporting me through so much loss and even saving me from suicide a couple of times along the way, the first time when she wasn't quite a year old, I can't in good conscience begrudge a little lost sleep while her needs are more immediate.

Three more days of meds before we go back and evaluate her (and get her sixteen-year-old brother cat's stitches out from having to have his paw amputated).

Oh no! I hate when our fur babies are sick.

I'm so sorry you have one in sunset age. Its so very painful saying goodbye. :heart:

A restless night tending my elderly and ailing support dog. I don't remember the last time I slept more than a doze just two hours or a little less since bringing her back from the vet and a diagnosis of cancer. Because she hasn't slept longer than two hours at a time.

Exhausted mentally and emotionally as well as physically exacerbating my own illness, but after eleven and a half years of her supporting me through so much loss and even saving me from suicide a couple of times along the way, the first time when she wasn't quite a year old, I can't in good conscience begrudge a little lost sleep while her needs are more immediate.

Three more days of meds before we go back and evaluate her (and get her sixteen-year-old brother cat's stitches out from having to have his paw amputated).

Hang in there. I haven't suffered any serious health problems, but I've been in that place, where I've had to say goodbye to a 14 year old friend...

This helped...

d1f4e2b3c840729548998c2141864542.jpg

I fear to ask Brother, but is there an update?

I know this doesn't help ease the pain as they leave, but I found this soothing a little :heart:

Leaked-Image-of-Heaven-Meme.jpg

Hey, gang. Thanks for the support.

I haven't been doing much except trying to sleep in the five to twenty minutes between times I've been needed. And, yes, quite literally. I don't think I've had more than an hour unbroken sleep since I brought them home. No real news other than that. Gave her the last pill Saturday afternoon. Now, just holding out until the third when I'll have more than $5 left in the account to take them back (and get my own pain management).

Stumpy (Smoke) seems to be doing alright other than he must have banged his stump at some point, so insists I help him down even though he's remastered up.

Skeezix... seems to have finally accepted them back. But, it's been cold enough she doesn't want to get far from the old radiator anyway except to prick me gingerly with a claw when she thinks I need to get up and tend something.

Daisy Mae... I admit I'm not greatly encouraged. She's not awake other than to go out to pee and that about every twenty or thirty minutes around the clock and then ready to come back in and curl back up. (And every bit as exhausted as I am) I unearthed a squeak toy that somehow survived and still has a squeaker in it, but she just ignored it and curled up next to the bed. (She hasn't jumped up on the bed [or even the couch] herself since September and has made it clear she doesn't want me lifting her up either)

Any road, as I say, I'm exhausted and she's already back up pawing insistently, so I'm going to take her out and then stretch out try to get a little bit of sleep before the next round.

attachment.php

^The view I am awakened to about thirty minutes after I manage to doze.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20211220_103518.jpg
    thumbnail_20211220_103518.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 63
Back