*thread etiquette...?*

Rumple Foreskin said:

WSO,

What you need is an order of hot, sizzling, chicken fried frog legs.

IMHO, they're good and good for you.

RF

*munching on little red amazon legs dipped in relish*

...chicken fried frog legs... what a thought!

hey!!! what we need is a chicken emoticon!

i vote for a chicken piccy!!!

please, please, please?!

This thread is a bit scary :eek: I don't know if I want to step into it or not.

I have read pro smilies, con smilies, pro initials, con initials, back and forth, over and over, back and forth.

I don't use the little buggers much because I tend to like to write what I mean in long hand. And, as someone has mentioned, they have a life too, and don't need me to interrupt their persuit of happiness, forcing them to sit among the text of my posts for an eternity of boredom.

As for initials standing in for a more lengthy phrase of words, I have trouble remembering what they are, too. God, I am agreeing with KM :eek:, so the world is going to open up and devour me after I hit Submit Reply. Lord (and longtime posters) knows she isn't a great fan of mine. But, there is nothing wrong with that. I am just a bit concerned about the 'devour me' part that is coming up.

One set of initials that I didn't see on your list, WSO (Wildsweetone for those who didn't know) is TTFN. It may be local use only, so I thought I would put it into Literotica's semi public domain and let you all abuse it, if you want. I was troubled for a long time, not knowing what it meant, but now I have it down, and so if you all wish to use it, I will understand that one, at least. It means Ta Ta, for now. Yes, it is only a cutsie good bye. And, I do think one could get by much better with using the TT, because the for now part is understood without being said. But, don't preach to me, because it wasn't my invention.

Initials could be used in several places for phrases that are commonly used. But, there is the problem of the masses understanding you, when you choose to use these initials.

Our president could use initials in some of his speeches to fill in for some of his weakly worded phrases. Because he is a bit lame in the word usage area, the initials could cover this up.
No, he wouldn't get his point across (if he has one), but he also wouldn't cause the American people to roll their eyes when he goes on a rant and starts spewing these phrases out. I KNOW his speech writer must be an alcoholic, by now.

Then, we have other phrases, that are in our (American) everyday language.

To you who don't know what these mean, ask. If you dare to know, that is.

TTWIS -- Walter Cronkite

P -- former VP (Vice President) Dan Quale

ON! -- Mr. Bill

LFNYISN -- Chevy Chase

TOSSFMOGLFM -- Neil Armstrong

Oh, FTR (for the record) WYSIWYG was not created for the weak writer crowd. It came from a software company (Lotus), who was the first to show a computer screen (within their program) that would then print out looking the same way. A monstrous achievement for the accounting world. Of course, now days, WYSIWYG is the norm.

OK, for those of you who are thinking "who let this guy talk?" Fuck off, this is my 2 cents. But, my last penny is finished. And if you don't think I used enough smilies?

:) :( :eek: :D ;) :p :mad: :confused:
Run, little ones, RUN! Be FREE! Go now, before someone posts again and enslaves your little heads again! RUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Last edited:
DVS said:
:eek:, so the world is going to open up and devour me after I hit Submit Reply.

Then, we have other phrases, that are in our (American) everyday language.

To you who don't know what these mean, ask. If you dare to know, that is.

TTWIS -- Walter Cronkite

ON! -- Mr. Bill

LFNYISN -- Chevy Chase

So, you still there or the world devoured you?? DVS... DVS.... here boy, here *searching* Oh DVVVSSSSSS...... :D

Ok, see, I don't know what I'm getting into so go easy huh? *breathing deeply with eyes closed* So what do those stand for??? (there I DID IT!!! I dared to know... :cool: )

-DP.

Yes, it was difficult, but I just now climbed out of that hole that opened up to a bottomless pit. It's simply amazing how just a few spiteful words can cause such an event to happen.

Anyway, you asked for it, so here are the explanations. Obviously, you are NOT American.

TTWIS -- Walter Cronkite
Walter Cronkite was (no, he's not dead) a beloved newscaster who would always end his broadcast with the words "That's the way it is."

He was also the one who confirmed the sad news to Americans in '63 "...President Kennedy died at 1:00 P.M. Central Standard Time, two o'clock Eastern Standard Time...some thirty-eight minutes ago."

http://encarta.msn.com/find/MediaMax.asp?pg=3&ti=03BCE000&idx=461526145

Our former Veep was in a grade school and they happened to be having a spelling bee. The student in question spelled potato, and our DQ corrected the student, saying he forgot the E at the end. Dan, in his normal confused way, thought potato was spelled potatoe. But, in his defense, it does look somewhat correct to me, too.
This link will take you to a page of a few of Dan's notable comments, during his time as our VP. Yes, these are all true, and some you will have to read more than once to understand.

www.bol.ucla.edu/~mserin/Quale.htm

ON! -- Mr. Bill
From the old, OLD Saturday Night Live TV show. A blue claymation figure (you had to be there) would always get smashed by Sluggo (or is that Sluggoe?). After the smashing, Mr. Bill would always say "Oh, Nooo!"
Need more info? Check out this link.
www.mrbill.com/index.html

LFNYISN -- Chevy Chase
Also from the very, very first Saturday Night Live. Chevy would do his prat fall, and come up (still alive) and say...
"Live from New York. It's Saturday Night!" to start the show.

This one hopefully makes Americans proud. Not that the others above don't make us feel warm and cuddly too, but this one is legit.
Neil Armstrong stepped off Apollo 11, and spoke those now famous words, as he first set foot on the moon's surface...
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

I was just a teen, but I can still remember hearing those words, when he first spoke them. It as simply amazing. (One of the few things I remember from the 60s).

This link is straight from the Astronaut's mouths of the step by step account of what REALLY happened during that momentous event in space history. It is interesting to read what was going on, when they knew what they were about to do, how they were feeling and acting. Some of this is very funny, when you think of how this place in history is now remembered.

www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a11/a11.step.html

enough info for ya'?

"One set of initials that I didn't see on your list, WSO (Wildsweetone for those who didn't know) is TTFN. It may be local use only, so I thought I would put it into Literotica's semi public domain and let you all abuse it, if you want."

--

If we're going to have a list of initials with attributions, then all of them should have an attribution.

TTFN -- Snaglepuss
Ta Ta For Now - Favorite exit line of a mangy lion seen on several different Hanna-Barbera cartoon shows, most notably, "The Yogi Bear Show".

Pedantically yours,

RF -- Rumple Foreskin

Last edited:
Originally posted by Rumple Foreskin If we're going to have a list of initials with attributions, then all of them should have an attribution.

TTFN -- Snaglepuss
Ta Ta For Now - Favorite exit line of a mangy lion seen on several different Hanna-Barbera cartoon shows, most notably, "The Yogi Bear Show".

Pedantically yours,

RF -- Rumple Foreskin

How true. I had forgotten. I grew up on Yogi, Booboo, Snagle and Foghorn Leghorn. Ah, the good old days, huh?

ss... kotk... gg

Coolville,

Damned cool, all of it. Language must evolve

You know this got me thinking. How much has the English language changed in the last few centuries, and how much more is it likely to change in the next few? Does thoust thou know? Thee sure as hell has no idea. :)

The internet has been responsible for creating a whole lot of new 'words' hasn't it? Words? Well I mean how many people do you know who say or type 'world wide web', 'electronic mail', or 'hypertext transfer protocol'? There are probably dozens if not hundreds more, but I just don't know them.

Of course that just one area, many 'new' words are shortened aren't they? TV, phone, pram, bra, and autos are just a few.

And of course slang is always evolving.

Yes very cool, Cool. :)

DV8,
Long time no read. Why, I was beginning to think you had fallen into the big black hole of cyber space. :) kotc... gg

Have a great day,
Alex(fem)

Last edited:
DVS said:
Yes, it was difficult, but I just now climbed out of that hole that opened up to a bottomless pit. It's simply amazing how just a few spiteful words can cause such an event to happen.

Anyway, you asked for it, so here are the explanations. Obviously, you are NOT American.

I was just a teen, but I can still remember hearing those words, when he first spoke them. It as simply amazing. (One of the few things I remember from the 60s).

enough info for ya'?

Hiya, welcome back from "the Hole". Of course I meant the hole you fell through... the one with the bottomless pit. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

No, I'm not American.

So, you were a teen in the 60s - that makes you at least 50 yrs old!! :eek: :p

Enough??? enough????? You're asking me if its enough! I spent the last hour wading through all that. Next time would you please please, please keep it brief. I'm feeling so sleepy now... OK, yes, I know.... I asked for it, but...

-DP.

Last edited:
damppanties said:

So, you were a teen in the 60s - that makes you at least 50 yrs old!! :eek: :p -DP.

Sticks and stones...but until I die, age will never harm me. Oh, and I am not in my 50s, but I am as close as you can get, and as you can see from my AV, I am still humping along.:p

Rumple Foreskin said:
"One set of initials that I didn't see on your list, WSO (Wildsweetone for those who didn't know) is TTFN. It may be local use only, so I thought I would put it into Literotica's semi public domain and let you all abuse it, if you want."

--

If we're going to have a list of initials with attributions, then all of them should have an attribution.

TTFN -- Snaglepuss

Pedantically yours,

RF -- Rumple Foreskin

now we're getting down to the grass roots. before anybody slings off at Yogi bear, THINK TWICE! he is my absolute favourite!!! well, he's up there on the pedestal right next to Popeye. so be nice.

TTFN = ta ta for now - yes Rumple dear, we have the very same expression here. oh we have another too, which i think is an americansim we picked up,

TGIF - thank God it's Friday. oh wait, that was a movie way back in the dark ages methinks.

KOTC - kiss on the cheek (this is a polite thread you lot who are tempted to put other connotations on the 'C'.

odd about language and how it evolves. thank goodness it does. my teenage daughter and i have amazing conversations during which she says things like

"That's wicked!"

apparently 'wicked' means good. it took me a while to get used to that one. I kept misunderstanding her, thinking she was having one nasty time at school.

Oh and just yesterday, one of my students was doing his usual 'SchoolfriendOnline' spelling course. One of his spelling words was 'e-mail'. That kinda took my fancy and had me wondering about all the new computer jargon words that have our kids thinking.

'chip' = crisp, hot fried potato slither, little square thing on a computer card...

i don't think the english language has changed ONLY in the last few centuries, i think it has changed from the first word spoken and i believe it will go on changing, evolving and developing forever.

a suggested read for those interested: A History of the English Language by Albert C. Baugh & Thomas Cable.

btw (by the way) welcome to the thread DVS, nice to see you back

TTFN

Okey, as you yankees throw a lot of abbreviations and stuff my way, I'll get back at you with one taht I know. Yes, it's in English! Try to solve this one! :)

OMDBTIWUD

OMDBTIWUD

Ouch! My Dog Bit The Inspector. Where? U Don't wanna know. ;) :p

Rofl... Svenskaflicka, am I close?

-DP.

Svenskaflicka said:
OMDBTIWUD

OK, I know this isn't right, but I broke my big toe about an hour ago, so this seems to fall right into place...

Oh My Damn Big Toe Is Woefully Under Dainty.

That is what it means to me. OK, what does it REALLY mean?

Svenskaflicka said:
Okey, as you yankees throw a lot of abbreviations and stuff my way, I'll get back at you with one taht I know. Yes, it's in English! Try to solve this one! :)

OMDBTIWUD

ohhhh i am not an american but can i have a go?

OMDBTIWUD

over my dead body hmmm

over my dead body tied insecurely with undignified discourse.

DVS did you really break your big toe? man i bet that's painful. remember to keep it elevated dear, above the heart line. that should ease the throbbing. how did you do it? did it slip between the fuselages?

see!!! no wink!!!!
i'm getting better at this.

*makes a big yellow sticky to sort out COOKIES*

sorry the above posting was yours truely as we say down under.

WSO,

Your comments about wicked, reminded me of this "Law" I came across yesterday while doing some research on 1968 fashion.

Rumple Foreskin

--

James Laver Laws on the Timetable of Style

James Laver the famous costume historian and a past Keeper of the Robes at the London Victoria and Albert Museum, was a noted authority on dress and its relationship to society. When you assess any fashion look bear in mind his ideas on the timetable of style.

Laver's Law says that fashions have a timeline and are considered to be:-

Indecent 10 years before its time
Shameless 5 years before its time
Daring 1 year before its time
Smart ----------
Dowdy 1 year after its time
Hideous 10 years after its time
Ridiculous 20 years after its time
Amusing 30 years after its time
Quaint 50 years after its time
Charming 70 years after its time
Romantic 100 years after its time
Beautiful 150 years after its time

--------

and Sven, I've got no idea about the definition for, OMDBTIWUD, but I hope it's fun. RF

Sticks and stones...but until I die, age will never harm me.

Yea well... stick and stone will break my bones, but chains will always excite me. ;)

Rumple Foreskin said:
WSO,

Your comments about wicked, reminded me of this "Law" I came across yesterday while doing some research on 1968 fashion.

Rumple Foreskin

--

James Laver Laws on the Timetable of Style

James Laver the famous costume historian and a past Keeper of the Robes at the London Victoria and Albert Museum, was a noted authority on dress and its relationship to society. When you assess any fashion look bear in mind his ideas on the timetable of style.

Laver's Law says that fashions have a timeline and are considered to be:-

Indecent 10 years before its time
Shameless 5 years before its time
Daring 1 year before its time
Smart ----------
Dowdy 1 year after its time
Hideous 10 years after its time
Ridiculous 20 years after its time
Amusing 30 years after its time
Quaint 50 years after its time
Charming 70 years after its time
Romantic 100 years after its time
Beautiful 150 years after its time

--------

and Sven, I've got no idea about the definition for, OMDBTIWUD, but I hope it's fun. RF

you know, i've never heard of James Laver, but i have to say i love his timetable! great find Rumple!

particularly interesting is his thought that the get ups of today which relate directly to the 70s is 'amusing'. how i agree! nothing funnier than platform shoes, flares and big loud shirts. reminds me of watching my dad and a mate of his wandering off down the path in the garden in their platform shoes. wow, did i need that memory? thanks i think.

*laying out 'smart' wardrobe for work tomorrow*
*wondering which category what i wear after work comes under...*

the_bragis said:
Sticks and stones...but until I die, age will never harm me.

Yea well... stick and stone will break my bones, but chains will always excite me. ;)

It seems sticks, stones and my friend's basement steps will break my bones. I don't know if it is really broken, but it is very black and blue, and sore to move. It could be just badly jammed. That damn step didn't move, so my toe had to. I just got over a sprained ankle (on the same foot), that I sprained about 5 months ago. It still hurts a bit, but nothing was broken. You see, we 'older' folks take longer to heal. But, my mind is sharp and my aim is true, so watch it!

Unregistered said:

DVS did you really break your big toe? man i bet that's painful. remember to keep it elevated dear, above the heart line. that should ease the throbbing. how did you do it? did it slip between the fuselages?

see!!! no wink!!!!
i'm getting better at this.
I don't know if I should respond to Unregistered or not. My mommy always told me not to talk to strangers. If I didn't break it, it is badly jammed. It hurts and looks and looks nasty. don't think I will get it X-Rayed. I went to the doctor when I sprained my ankle, and all he really said was "yep, looks like you sprained it. Get you some crutches and stay off of it for a couple days." DUH! I could be a doctor!

He did X-Ray it and nothing was broken, but a nasty sprain it was. Like I told Bragis, we older types don't heal as quickly as we would like, or even as completely as we would like.

OMDBTIWUD

Outrageously Maligned Dentists Bite Toast Inbetween Withering, Undulating Dentures.

Was it just me, or was that one too easy?

wildsweetone said:

i don't think the english language has changed ONLY in the last few centuries, i think it has changed from the first word spoken and i believe it will go on changing, evolving and developing forever.

Indeed, the strength of the English language is that it the world's greatest sponge. From the Anglo-Saxon languages (Old Nordic) to the influences from French and Latin and everything else, English has absorbed it all, whereas other languages discard many old words, or refuse to adopt new ones.

Thus, we have so many double meanings in English. For example, an expression like Law and Order. The two words meant the same thing orignally, but now they dance hand in hand to increase their meaning.

And all the regional dialects have added countless words to the English language. There are over 10,000 Canadianisms in English!

Further recommended reading: Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.

ohhh we have a heavy frost this morning. it's white as snow outside and the sky is that magnificent Spring blue! i love it!

DVS i have a cool exercise for your sprained ankle (i had one myself, was on crutches for three weeks with the darn thing). stand with the outside of your sprained foot against a wall. without moving away from the wall, try to physically push the toe end of your foot towards the wall. it would be like you are trying to squash your little toe. the physio told me this will strengthen the muscles which were damaged in the sprain. it shouldn't affect your big toe, but you might need painkillers if you mess up your little toe as well. okay i'm kidding. trust me, this will help.

i'm not going to ask you what was in your friend's basement that had you running hell for leather down their staircase...

Outrageously Maligned Dentists Bite Toast Inbetween Withering, Undulating Dentures.
Coolville, i bet there's a story in that somewhere. mind you, it could just be my warped mind.

your coments on the English language reminded me of a person i chatted with online for a while. he was from Pakistan. his grasp of the English language was efficient to the point where if i used a common phrase or expression, i was often surprised by his request of me to explain what i had said.

there is so much more to this language than just words. there is intonation, there are the double meanings, facial expressions etc. it's a very 'hands on language' i reckon.

i wonder why i was only intrigued by the language itself with one particular teacher during school...

wildsweetone said:

i'm not going to ask you what was in your friend's basement that had you running hell for leather down their staircase...
Thanks for the exercise. I will give it a try. And, the job I have seems to help, as I do a lot of walking. I also don't think the toe is broken, just a bad case of toe jam. It feels better after walking on it, and I don't think a broken bone would be that way.

As for what was in my friend's basement? No, no dungeons, or that sort of thing. And, it was a male friend, and I don't swing that way. He has quite a few motorcycles, and was working on one of them. But, I was just walking down the steps which had some sort of vinyl covering on the treads.
I guess the bottom of my shoes didn't like this vinyl, or visa versa. I created a new version of the two step while going down his steps. Trust me, it could have been worse, if I hadn't been as agile as I am (hoping this creates a visual of a svelte middle aged man keeping his cool in a crisis).

Back