To keep the review thread clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In attempt to beat a dead horse to death (if you pardon the cliche)

I simply have to ask how a review such as:

"My Erotic Tale took an interesting step with his tribute to the blind samurai in his Zatoichi Monogatari (Blind fury). I found myself confused as it seemed the best lines in the poem were not original... or were they? He put a number of lines in quotes, one of these "A falling leaf does not hate the wind." was borrowed, but without a source listed. Another line: "Perhaps a falling leaf does hate the wind." seemed an original twist to the other saying, leaving me wondering what lines were quoted and which were original lines in quotes. While the poem had some punctuation things here and there, I truely feel this poem needs some more annotation regarding the quotes. The poem is a nice tribute, but you've got to cite your sources."

Get twisted into being called nitpicking and a personal attack?

When the question of citing sources was merely laughed off as my confusion, I did frame the question a bit more bluntly:

" Once again I guess I was too subtle in my response. I guess I need to be more blunt. The Zatoichi poem was not confusing, I simply was left wondering, not being familiar with the entire library of Zatoichi movies (I guess I could have consulted my son). What confused me was the question as to whether the quotes came from another source or if they were the poet's. Of course reading the lines I was fairly certain the lines were borrowed, but without the source being cited, I then had to wonder: Did the poet truely mean to plagarize a work he was supposedly honoring or did he omit the notations simply out of ignorance?

Zatoichi fans may recognize the lines, but beyond a few well known quotes from the bible... a writer simply must cite the sources of borrowed material. It is simply good manners and is the right thing to do. Even with the mention of the movies in the poem's afterward, you never mentioned the source of the quotes.

If you truly intended the poem as an homage, I think the quotes should be properly cited... that means editing the poem, anything else is simply wrong. As far as the confusion, Art, re-read my review... you will see the confusion was in the misuse of the borrowed lines.

In the most recent installment of the Zatoichi movies, the hero wasn't really blind, he simply kept his eyes closed. At the end of the movie he did open them. Perhaps there is a message here... I will watch for your edit of the poem Art."

Personal attacks? Slander? Even as the discussion progressed the attacks and slander remained decidely on sided (hmmm, I like that rhyme there).

Why is this important enough to go on and on? What is important here is that in the course of dialogue over a poetry review, a polite review was twisted into a personal attack on the poet, with the reviewer being called a pompous slanderer.

I simply have to ask, where is the outrage? I ask anyone to read the exchange and tell me who made the exchange personal, who made this something more than a simple, generally favorable review of a poem.

It is unfortunate that something I always enjoyed about the poetry forum "The New Poems Review" can be sullied so harshly that anything less than a shout for joy about a poem is considered a personal attack on the poet. It is unfortunate that anything less than telling a poet they have written the best poem ever is deemed as not providing encouragement. It is unfortunate that taking the time and energy to delve deeply into a poem, in an effort to understand not only the poets motiviation, but their use of tools to express themselves and then offering insight or suggestion is considered nitpicking.

If I were smart, I would withdraw from the reviews rather than battle what seems to be the prevailing sentiment on poetry reviews. The thing is, I refuse to believe this is the prevailing sentiment and besides I have been known to do some dumb things in my life, this would just be another. So come next Wednesday I plan to continue writing new poetry reviews.

With respect to citing sources, I do believe it is something more than the state of health of jthserra's anal tract. Distinguished writers (Stephen Ambrose, etc) have had their careers and reputations tarnished or destroyed over documentation issues considerably more trifiling than not citing the quotes you use.

As for slander and personal attacks... I ask everyone to read the exchange between My Erotic Tale and I and decide for yourselves where that originated.

jim : )

jthserra said:
If I were smart, I would withdraw from the reviews rather than battle what seems to be the prevailing sentiment on poetry reviews. The thing is, I refuse to believe this is the prevailing sentiment and besides I have been known to do some dumb things in my life, this would just be another. So come next Wednesday I plan to continue writing new poetry reviews.
Good! If you do stop reviewing over this, then I will let loose on your ass every vicious dildo that I own. I'm tired of trying to replace reviewers!!!

(by the way, the dildo threat isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

WickedEve said:
Good! If you do stop reviewing over this, then I will let loose on your ass every vicious dildo that I own. I'm tired of trying to replace reviewers!!!

(by the way, the dildo threat isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

eve,

you make me want to become a reviewer....just so i can quit. :)

jthserra said:
It is unfortunate that something I always enjoyed about the poetry forum "The New Poems Review" can be sullied so harshly that anything less than a shout for joy about a poem is considered a personal attack on the poet. It is unfortunate that anything less than telling a poet they have written the best poem ever is deemed as not providing encouragement. It is unfortunate that taking the time and energy to delve deeply into a poem, in an effort to understand not only the poets motiviation, but their use of tools to express themselves and then offering insight or suggestion is considered nitpicking.

Unfortunate indeed. I read that thread to learn. I don't just read what the reviewers write about my poems. When a reviewer does the job properly, they are thoughtful and offer helpful suggestions that can improve my writing, even if it's not written about my poem. When the thread becomes just a cheerleading section, I'll no longer see a need to read it.

Syndra :rose:

Last edited:
Jim, every one of us who has done reviews has been seen as pendantic (at best) or a member of the attack-dog clique, the grammar and style police. You know this. It is one of the reasons I stopped doing reviews.

I don't condone any response that calls someone an asshole or, for that matter, tells someone to fuck off and grow up or that it's their time of the month. None of that has a place in a forum dedicated to writing poetry--unless they're in poems and not attacks, imo.

Still, if this

Zatoichi fans may recognize the lines, but beyond a few well known quotes from the bible... a writer simply must cite the sources of borrowed material. It is simply good manners and is the right thing to do. Even with the mention of the movies in the poem's afterward, you never mentioned the source of the quotes.

is true, if Art didn't go far enough in his citing the director, then most of of here need to go back through all our poems and add citations, no?

Your points are well taken and I agree that a direct quote needs to be cited, but I also think that poetry is not the same as literary criticism or any kind of academic research. It's a gray area for many people. Nor do I believe for a minute that Art was intentionally trying to plagiarize anything, but then I don't think you do either.

I have come to understand that many people here see this sort of public "explaining" as being upbraided. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but I know they do. That's why I said I would have handled it in a pm. And you know I say this to you with respect. You are and have always been my friend here.

Anyway I just spent the past 30 minutes checking online resources about citations, and I can't find anything about how to cite a direct quote within a poem. I think MLA has a resource line where you can email questions. I'm pretty sure the Chicago Manual of Style does, too. I will post an answer if I can find one.

Mainly though, I think we should just move on and write poems.

My Erotic Tale said:
wow syn
you defending the she devil
or just joining the slander wagon?

And Art~

The only one being defensive here is you. At first I thought you were dealing with hurt feelings in a public forum. We've all been there. Now, I just wonder what's motivating you to try to hurt this community as a whole.

Syndra Lynn

Angeline said:
Anyway I just spent the past 30 minutes checking online resources about citations, and I can't find anything about how to cite a direct quote within a poem. I think MLA has a resource line where you can email questions. I'm pretty sure the Chicago Manual of Style does, too. I will post an answer if I can find one.
If you find out anything, definitely share. I want to know.

Angeline said:
That's cool, and I'm sure we all (well, most) want to know the answer to that, but i don't think any of this discussion had really anything to do with the proper way to make quotations within a poem.

The problem is civility, respect, and good-judgement.

Lauren Hynde said:
That's cool, and I'm sure we all (well, most) want to know the answer to that, but i don't think any of this discussion had really anything to do with the proper way to make quotations within a poem.

The problem is civility, respect, and good-judgement.

None of which are contained in the examples I used in the first paragraph of my post.

My point is that some people see explanations as being pontificated at. So why even go there, knowing you're likely to get an uncivilized or disrespectful response that uses poor judgment?

(PS ee saw this post just now, said "Oh boy," and ran out to clean snow off the car. lol.)

:kiss:

Angeline said:
My point is that some people see explanations as being pontificated at. So why even go there, knowing you're likely to get an uncivilized or disrespectful response that uses poor judgment?
If you're saying that because innocuous explanations and justified comments will often be met with uncivilised and disrespectful responses, we should just shut up, then by all means, change the name of the forum from "Poetry Feedback & Discussion" to "Fluff Cheerleading", so that we all know where to go.

Last edited:
Thank you Eve

RE:
Many poems may need a little tweaking, but even if this doesn't get tweaked, it's still worth a read. Lots of nice images here. I really enjoyed this one. Comment and vote.

Eve.. thank you for your insight on my Yellow Inbetween... a kind method of critique that I appreciate greatly.... helping me see the flaws of my poetry. A balance that opens ones eyes... gracias!
Du~ :catroar:

jthserra said:
. . .

. . .

jim : )
Jim, just be honest and true to yourself in your reviews. It doesn't matter what you say, how you say it, or even if you don't. Somebody is going to object. You can review all of the poems, or none of them. It won't make any difference. Someone will be unhappy and complain.

You can stress-s-s-s the fact that you are giving your very own first person singular private solely yours point of view opinion conclusions and ask invite beg plead for others to bring their own mentions forward, but you still will never please everybody. So don't waste your time trying. Just say what you think, gently if possible, but always honestly, and let the starboard poets battle with the port while you sit back and watch with a grin.

Pax :rose:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline

Lauren:
If you're saying that because innocuous explanations and justified comments will often be met with uncivilised and disrespectful responses, we should just shut up, then by all means, change the name of the forum from "Poetry Feedback & Discussion" to "Fluff Cheerleading", so that we all know where to go.
No, we shouldn't shut up, but we should keep in mind to choose our words carefully, especially those of us who have been here for awhile and know the usual ending result. I look at my reviews, when I do them, almost the same way I look at my poetry. What can I trim here before sharing it with my fellow poets and readers? I think deep down we know when it's too much and when we should just send a PM or let it go.

Lauren Hynde said:

You know I don't mean that. I don't like disrespect of any kind--it doesn't matter who says it. But we also know that some people have left the forum because they can't take being critiqued. Ok, people overreact and should try to understand that it's not personal, but I also hate to see anyone leave here if they can eventually be convinced that reviewers are trying to help them. And I think Art--and Art I apologize for making you the example--has hung in there and become a better writer for it. And he got pissed and so did you and me too--Eve is the only one of us who always keeps her cool--ever notice that, lol--but like I said before, we're human, we like each other and we should just move on and write. Yknow?

and I know you know cause we just professed our love of each other on Yahoo. Now cmere and kiss me before Katie sees

:kiss:

WickedEve said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline

No, we shouldn't shut up, but we should keep in mind to choose our words carefully, especially those of us who have been here for awhile and know the usual ending result. I look at my reviews, when I do them, almost the same way I look at my poetry. What can I trim here before sharing it with my fellow poets and readers? I think deep down we know when it's too much and when we should just send a PM or let it go.

I'd kiss you, too, but people would talk.

Angeline said:
I'd kiss you, too, but people would talk.
They would.

So, if they're going to talk, let's make this a three way kiss. You in, Lauren?

Oh, and it's easy to keep your cool on a board. You have a hissy fit first, then type. :D

Friday Whoopsie!

I apologize for my absence, yesterday, I just got back from NYC and my flight was sort of late night. Didn't occur to me to get here and do it, when I got back, as me and my bed had this burning need to get reacquainted. >=] I did forget, this once, and I am a horrible person.

~D.A.

DeepAsleep said:
I apologize for my absence, yesterday, I just got back from NYC and my flight was sort of late night. Didn't occur to me to get here and do it, when I got back, as me and my bed had this burning need to get reacquainted. >=] I did forget, this once, and I am a horrible person.

~D.A.
Oh, don't worry about it. Someone usually covers lazy reviewers who think they need sleep. ;)

Thank you Impressive, Ishtat, and Eve for mentioning Memory like Glass and Matchless. I really appreciate all the comments, too, even Flyguy's which outed my spelling mistake.

And 1201, Mr. Rochester's wife was a reference to the novel Jane Eyre. Mrs. Rochester was a crazy lady who was kept in the attic and barely mentioned till Jane discovers her at the end of the book. :)

Last edited:
Angeline said:
Still, if this

is true, if Art didn't go far enough in his citing the director, then most of of here need to go back through all our poems and add citations, no?

Your points are well taken and I agree that a direct quote needs to be cited, but I also think that poetry is not the same as literary criticism or any kind of academic research. It's a gray area for many people.

I have to admit I am shocked at this response.

WickedEve said:
We all know she devil doesn't need defending. :D

And Art, I left a post directed at you about one page back that is supportive, which you ignored, along with my other posts. You're only focusing on what you see as being negative comments. Though, I guess I can understand that too.

Yes I saw that wicked and thanks sweetie,
your right, I read it and then angelines then Lauren
and got caught up in my minds swirl, let the dogs barking
distract me from focusing my energies on creativity or
sharing a good conversation instead of a bad, just trying
to patch things up, and instead of a good huddle I went
for the rebutle, so I laughed when I read,
"ART, WHAT THE FUCKS WRONG WITH YOU"
WELL FUNNY I see a pattern here with the certain intellegent
yet confuessed (is that an oxy moron?) always confused when they
read my works, I get confused when I read wicked ...wait your
wicked...hehehe, not mine, he (jim) still has a sore toe I guess
and barks every time I submit a poem, I except what is. But
I do have a right to say back to some one who barks at me.
For I have compassion for ignorance. (~_*)

thanks wicked,
it meant alot, truely.
I guess I really owe quite a few thank yous and a few I'm sorry's
bows humble

My Erotic Tale said:
Yes I saw that wicked and thanks sweetie,
your right, I read it and then angelines then Lauren
and got caught up in my minds swirl, let the dogs barking
distract me from focusing my energies on creativity or
sharing a good conversation instead of a bad, just trying
to patch things up, and instead of a good huddle I went
for the rebutle, so I laughed when I read,
"ART, WHAT THE FUCKS WRONG WITH YOU"
WELL FUNNY I see a pattern here with the certain intellegent
yet confuessed (is that an oxy moron?) always confused when they
read my works, I get confused when I read wicked ...wait your
wicked...hehehe, not mine, he (jim) still has a sore toe I guess
and barks every time I submit a poem, I except what is. But
I do have a right to say back to some one who barks at me.
For I have compassion for ignorance. (~_*)

thanks wicked,
it meant alot, truely.
I guess I really owe quite a few thank yous and a few I'm sorry's
bows humble
I've been here 3 1/2 years now, and this sort of thing happens. Feathers are ruffled and a week later the posts that caused all the unpleasantness are long buried by some new drama. :) And remember, the people you had misunderstandings with are good, decent folks--like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back