To keep the review thread clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:devil: all poetry sucks, especially eve's.

there I've said it. how's that for drama starting?

Syndra Lynn said:
And Art~

The only one being defensive here is you. At first I thought you were dealing with hurt feelings in a public forum. We've all been there. Now, I just wonder what's motivating you to try to hurt this community as a whole.

Syndra Lynn

Oh contrar syn
I don't see how you think I am the one hurting this forum???????
jim is the one who posted the problem here, he did a review of the poem, I commented on his comment, next thing I know he's all huffy and
posting here, so I continued to defend my write <grin>

I brought Zatoichi sans tribute to lit to share the wisdom
of bushido and zen with some great poetic lines, never did I
intend to harm Lit poetry forum. That's like burning down my
favorite club house. Sorry you see it that way but it's hard to
see the sun when swimming below the surface!

I was told many times by most of you that the New Poem Review
thread was to highlight the GOOD poems for the day, no body said it
was open to disecting publicly , those who savor to critic should
do so PM or feedback or even the comment section of the poem.
This was my understanding. Now it's a place to pick a part and show
others how a poem could be? <eyes roll>

I do believe each of us found our way here for the enjoyment
of poetry, I wrote poem stories for almost a year before coming
to the poetry section cause the reputation is that the poetry
forum is the toughest, well when I heard that...I came a running <grin>

not to hurt the forum but to bask in being a better poet by
hanging with the toughest <grin> Perhaps I'm a tad rougher
than most, ninja say's Im sand paper ...rub ya raw at first but
before I'm done it is smooth as a babies behind, because I
usually go the extra length to insure others fullfill their goals
I have reached mine in life and I am excelled way beyond mine
and others expectations, so I help others, not hurt them.
Not trying to hurt this forum in any way...that is actually very funny...

so I have fish to eat...yummy and reviews to do, to spot light
the best of the best. (~_*)

Last edited:
Angeline said:
go write a poem, rufflebitch.

:D
*laughing* as long as I don't have to cite a source. Actually in order to work around that, I just cite them internally. :D

How many times have you read a poem of mine that refers to "Love's Distresses" YAY GOETHE! I stole it, I stole it! Maybe if it's that ancient it doesn't count. ;)

and I've got yer rufflebitch right here.

perks said:
:devil: all poetry sucks, especially eve's.

there I've said it. how's that for drama starting?
Are you hitting on me? I'm sure you are. Everyone wants me. (Adding perks to the list...)

perks said:
*laughing* as long as I don't have to cite a source. Actually in order to work around that, I just cite them internally. :D

How many times have you read a poem of mine that refers to "Love's Distresses" YAY GOETHE! I stole it, I stole it! Maybe if it's that ancient it doesn't count. ;)

I'll fight Eve for you. :D

You know, if you'd do reviews one more time and karmadog would come back and do his Freakin Good Titles thread just once, my life would be complete.

Almost.

I might need to win the lottery, too.

Angeline said:
I'll fight Eve for you. :D

You know, if you'd do reviews one more time and karmadog would come back and do his Freakin Good Titles thread just once, my life would be complete.

Almost.

I might need to win the lottery, too.
We're fighting for her? Okay, knives, fists, sonnets... no sonnets. OH! Bitch slapping! :D

WickedEve said:
We're fighting for her? Okay, knives, fists, sonnets... no sonnets. OH! Bitch slapping! :D

We're gonna bitch slap each other for Perk's affections?

Y'know I think this could bring Denis Hale straight to this thread. :D

WickedEve said:

Oh. News flash. Eagleyez has kindly volunteered to be bitch slapped by the three of us--me, you, and perks--"all day."

:devil:

PatCarrington said:
i'm really very shy.

i thought you might be able to help me conquer that distressing malady. :cool:
I am too. Let's hold each other until we start getting those soft, fuzzy feelings deep inside.

I have a fuzzy, thrusting toy, if we need help.

Angeline said:
Oh. News flash. Eagleyez has kindly volunteered to be bitch slapped by the three of us--me, you, and perks--"all day."

:devil:
Tell him to wear panties and we'll make it happen for him.

My Erotic Tale said:
I was told many times by most of you that the New Poem Review
thread was to highlight the GOOD poems for the day, no body said it
was open to disecting publicly , those who savor to critic should
do so PM or feedback or even the comment section of the poem.
This was my understanding. Now it's a place to pick a part and show
others how a poem could be? <eyes roll>

As you know Art, I am not new to reviews here and have more experience at the New Poems Review than you. I've found that if you can show everyone what in a poem made it good, what made it grab you or simply highlight a technique that made an otherwise ordinary poem special, the poets appreciate it more. By doing this, the review becomes more than a listing of poems, it becomes a learning tool for the poet, the readers and even the reviewer. I found the feedback I got on review days overwhelmingly supported this approach. It does take a bit more work on the reviewer's part requiring them to delve deeply into the poetry, but I found it rewarding. I think the highest praise a reviewer gives is in the very time he takes in disecting a poem he is reviewing, imagine that... someone interested enough in a poem to take it apart and try to understand every nuance.

Obviously time constraints may limit the depth of the investigations and certainly the poetry will drive the review, but I think this approach will best serve the reviews.

jim : )

WickedEve said:
I am too. Let's hold each other until we start getting those soft, fuzzy feelings deep inside.

I have a fuzzy, thrusting toy, if we need help.

okay.......and okay. :)

jthserra said:
As you know Art, I am not new to reviews here and have more experience at the New Poems Review than you. I've found that if you can show everyone what in a poem made it good, what made it grab you or simply highlight a technique that made an otherwise ordinary poem special, the poets appreciate it more. By doing this, the review becomes more than a listing of poems, it becomes a learning tool for the poet, the readers and even the reviewer. I found the feedback I got on review days overwhelmingly supported this approach. It does take a bit more work on the reviewer's part requiring them to delve deeply into the poetry, but I found it rewarding. I think the highest praise a reviewer gives is in the very time he takes in disecting a poem he is reviewing, imagine that... someone interested enough in a poem to take it apart and try to understand every nuance.

Obviously time constraints may limit the depth of the investigations and certainly the poetry will drive the review, but I think this approach will best serve the reviews.

I think it would be wonderful to review a poem honestly, but tactfully enough. I see nothing wrong with reviewing a mediocre poem (mediocre to the reviewer) and offering suggestions for improvement, along with a spoonful of sugar. You gotta have a little sugar-praise to sweeten your critique. The poet should feel encouraged and inspired by a review and not insulted. Insulted. Oh, that's a toughie thanks to the paper hearts of some poets. Rip, rip, rip. We all know some "poets" submit poetry to proclaim some love to some other person, and they do not care what we think. You can usually spot those poems. Just skip over them. And once you know your regulars, and have a clue about some of the newbies, you should have an idea what you can safely say about a particular poet's poem. It's a tough job. Be brutal in such a kind way that you leave bruises like beauty marks.

jthserra said:

The greatest compliment may be, when a person is honest and humbly points where your work can be improved. Jim has complimented many in that respect.
I am impressed with his style of his reviews. Some of his points may be fine, but they are always well thought out, and respectful of the recipient.

jthserra said:

Each reviewer has their own style and charactor,
and critics are obvious as are the cheerleaders <me in a uniform? lmao>

the garden needs fertilizer and water, it gets to much shit
it's gonna die. To much or not enough water ...it's gonna
struggle, so the ying and the yang works for me <grin>

well.......my ying yang works <bigrin>

I bow humble to jims ability as a writer and he does edit a tad deeper
than any body I have seen so far, which is a zen master of words. but
a lit major at SAM has put it that once you get the fundamentals of
grammar the rest is idealized, take your poem / story to an editor
they will change it to what they think is right from their view point then take it to another editor and they will change it to their view point and so on, seldom will an editor or critic say it is perfect for their is no perfection since we all see things from different perspectives. a never ending ......ying yang <grin>

My Erotic Tale said:
. but
grammar the rest is idealized,

Kind of makes it sound like the grammar police may have a point there...

jthserra said:
Kind of makes it sound like the grammar police may have a point there...

yep can you believe that shit,
the grammar police have lots of points
I was recently cite'd for not citing a poem to
>>there<< satisfaction <laughin hard> Officer J

Last edited:
My Erotic Tale said:
Each reviewer has their own style and charactor,
and critics are obvious as are the cheerleaders <me in a uniform? lmao>

the garden needs fertilizer and water, it gets to much shit
it's gonna die. To much or not enough water ...it's gonna
struggle, so the ying and the yang works for me <grin>

well.......my ying yang works <bigrin>

I bow humble to jims ability as a writer and he does edit a tad deeper
than any body I have seen so far, which is a zen master of words. but
they will change it to what they think is right from their view point then take it to another editor and they will change it to their view point and so on, seldom will an editor or critic say it is perfect for their is no perfection since we all see things from different perspectives. a never ending ......ying yang <grin>
Art, I bow humble to your growth as a writer. You serve an important purpose, by encouragement, nobody ever got better as a writer, by not writing. It is almost impossible to look at ones own stuff objectively also. (real) Criticism and encouragement go hand in hand. Ego is a killer.
As an example: E. Pound who thought of himself as the greatest writer that ever lived (with the possible exception of Yeats) wrote about 100 cantos; lenghy piles of useless shit. http://www.uncg.edu/eng/pound/canto.htm Here he talks about something that no one can figure out, there he talks about his wife's inability to cook. Eliot on the other hand let Pound edit his "Waste Land" and had half of it thrown out. (T.S. Eliot The Waste Land ...Valerie Eliot, Harvest Books). My guess is more people read the "Waste Land" than anything of Pound's.

My Erotic Tale said:
. . .
I'll give you one basic grammar police rule that even some of structure's greatest opponents here have begun to accept:

It won't catch "wrong word" usage, that's what proofreaders do nowadays, but here is a free downloadable program (MicroSoft compatible) that will let you correct spelling errors even here in these reply boxes before you post:

:rose:

perks said:

Hey, thank you too.

My Erotic Tale said:
yep can you believe that shit,
the grammar police have lots of points
I was recently cite'd for not citing a poem to
>>there<< satisfaction <laughin hard> Officer J

Yes, an attempt to impart a bit of understanding... unfortunately resisted.

Something to make the tribute seem more like a tribute...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back