Why We Have the Political Opinions We Have, by John Engelman

And yet you spend a lot of time trying to respond to them.

I've never intended to intimidate you.
I am glad that you do not intend to intimidate me. :)

All I ask is that we sit down and have a polite discussion about the existence and reasons the races differ in average intelligence, obedience to the law, and sexual responsibility.

Because I propose a scientific discussion, appeals to emotion are inappropriate. :cool:

More obscenity. More insults. No evidence of intelligence and learning.
I like curse words. There is nothing obscene about them.

You have nothing of educational value to offer. Certainly nothing relevant to the last several decades

Last edited:

All I ask is that we sit down and have a polite discussion about the existence and reasons the races differ in average intelligence, obedience to the law, and sexual responsibility.

Because I propose a scientific discussion, appeals to emotion are inappropriate. :cool:
Lol....scientific....that's funny. No wonder you gravitate to bullshit labels that sound neat.

There is no discussion you seek. You seek validation and agreement, which I have no reason to give you.

More obscenity. More insults. No evidence of intelligence and learning.
You should try some obscenity, then maybe you would actually become intelligent and learn, instead of peddling out of date, misleading and inaccurate information.

Or you could just fuck off and die.....*chuckles* it WILL happen JE, sooner or later mother nature will catch up to you, and then the world will be a better place!!

How does that sound eh?

ll74 and Fuzzy1975,

The following little essay explains my calmness and your hysteria. I have obviously hit a few of your raw nerves.

Opinions.jpg

Lol. Rejection is tough...I get it.
I pride myself in being rejected by those who think insults, name calling, and obscene words are appropriate contributions to the dialogue on race the United States need to have. It needs to be a dialogue, rather than the coerced monologue that too frequently prevails. All that should matter in the dialogue are facts and insights, courteously presented. :cool:

I pride myself in being rejected by those who think insults, name calling, and obscene words are appropriate contributions to the dialogue on race the United States need to have. It needs to be a dialogue, rather than the coerced monologue that too frequently prevails. All that should matter in the dialogue are facts and insights, courteously presented.
No you don't. You squirm all over the place when called out....it's funny as hell.

ll74 and Fuzzy1975,

The following little essay explains my calmness and your hysteria. I have obviously hit a few of your raw nerves.

View attachment 2205067
You do realize this is essentially calling bullshit on your own claims that your remaining calm reflects well on you, don't you?

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course you don't.

who gives a shit? People are different. Why is it within families that are raised the same way you have criminals, idiots and some are more promiscuous ( like that’s any of your business) perfect example is my family.

Same mom and dad, same experience, expectation, etc. growing up, no major upheaval in life, pretty average American middle class family. yet my brother and I both have mba’s, I just sold a very successful business I started in 1993 and my brothers a mucky muck with American Airlines after being a pilot for 20 years. We Both have been married for 20+ years and have children through college or in college.

my sister, who I get along with very well, barely finished high school, has been married twice, works a menial low salaried job and neither one of her kids even thought of college. According to you My sister must be black, which would be news to us.

or could it be, her being a girl, growing up in the 70’s and 80’s wasn’t quite afforded the same opportunity as my brother and I were. Maybe she wasn’t pushed by family members and teachers to excel in school, prepare for college. maybe, just maybe, her experience wasn’t equal to ours because she has a vagina.

I’ll give you a clue….. it wasn’t remotely equal and she’s paid for it.

Nothing about that is true.

You hate blacks and refuse to show them any form of respect unless they prove themselves to you. You consistently argue that blacks are inherently inferior and that those that are not inferior, by your metrics, are abnormal.

You continue to ignore the full and update datasets which have been provided time and time again which show that you're both racist and full of shit.
You continue to distort my opinion. That is an example of the Straw Man Fallacy. Your resort to insults and obscene words reveals bad aspects of your character. I am sure your parents tried to raise you better.

In The Hidden Agenda of the Political Mind: How Self-Interest Shapes Our Opinions And Why We Won't Admit It Jason Weeden & Robert Kurzban argue that self interest, rather than political philosophy, determines party affiliation. However self interest consists of economic and social interests. Consequently, party affiliation is complex. Nevertheless, if one knows a person's economic and social interests one can predict that person's party affiliation with a certain amount of accuracy.

Economic issues largely concern who pays how much in taxes, and what the money is spent for. Economic conservatives favor lower taxes for the rich, and less domestic spending. Economic liberals favor the opposite. Economic conservatives will explain their opinions by saying in so many words, "I am in favor of freedom, and Constitutional government. Democrats want to punish our most productive citizens."

Economic liberals will say in effect, "I think everyone is entitled to a decent standard of living. The Republicans only care about the rich."

Social issues largely concern sexual behavior and factors that restrict it, although attitudes about guns, criminals, race, and immigrants are also important. Social conservatives will explain their opinions this way, "I am in favor of Judeo Christian morality. Secular humanists favor the sexual license that has always resulted in the fall of civilizations."

Social liberals will counter with an argument that sounds like this, "I am in favor of tolerance. The religious right is intolerant, and probably racist and sexist besides."

Immigration is a social and an economic issue. Many Americans do not like cultural diversity. Others like it. Most Americans are jeopardized by the downward pressure a high rate of immigration exerts on wages. Hispanics and Asians, most of whom are immigrants or recent descendants of immigrants, want fewer restrictions on immigration. Blacks understandably tend to favor policies that benefit blacks as a race. Many whites oppose those policies, even when they share economic interests with blacks.

Libraries can be filled with books that argue for one or another of these attitudes. Jason Weeden and Robert Kurzban assert that people do not have the opinions they have because they have read books with good arguments. Instead, they read books that reinforce opinions they already have. These opinions in turn are based on how they perceive their economic and social interests.

The United States government is a democracy. We are equal under the law. Nevertheless, wealth, education, and power correlate. Those with the most of each tend to be more libertarian than the population as a whole. That is to say, they tend to be more conservative on economic issues, and more liberal on social issues. These are the people who lead the two major political parties. Consequently, when the Republican and Democratic parties compromise, the compromise ends up to the right of the American consensus on economic issues, and to the left on social issues.

This is particularly true of the Supreme Court and of courts in general. The Supreme Court has legalized abortion, outlawed prayer in public schools, and legalized nearly unlimited campaign funding by rich people. These rich people of course expect results from the politicians they contribute to, results that benefit them in particular and rich people in general.

In What is the Matter with Kansas? Thomas Frank expressed incredulity and displeasure at the fact that low income whites in Kansas (and the rest of the country) usually vote against their economic interests by voting Republican.

Well, it turns out that low income whites usually have liberal opinions about Social Security, Medicare, and unemployment compensation. They also have conservative opinions on issues like gay marriage, abortion, prayer in the schools, gun control, affirmative action, and immigration.

Lower income whites usually vote Republican because for them social issues are more important than economic issues. Nevertheless, their liberal economic views often come as a shock to the Republican politicians they vote for when those Republican politicians get serious about cutting specific items in the domestic budget.

The vast majority of blacks vote Democratic. Their opposition to gay rights issues often displeases the Democratic politicians they elect.

President Reagan did little to advance the agenda of the Religious Right that had enabled him to be elected in 1980. (The only thing I can think of is that he helped to stop the Equal Rights Amendment from passing.) President Reagan did cut the top tax rate from 70 percent to 28 percent. Under the Obama administration corporations got bailouts. Ordinary citizens did not.

The prime movers of political affiliation are income, education, race, and sexual behavior. Generally speaking income correlates with economic conservatism. Education correlates with social liberalism. People favor policies that benefit others of their race. Number of sex partners varies inversely with church attendance.

There is a strong correlation between income and education. Nevertheless, when income is held constant, those with more education lean to the left. When education is held constant, those with more income lean to the right.

At the extremes, someone with nothing to show for a PhD. or a law degree but unpaid student loan debts and a low wage job is likely to vote Democratic or perhaps Green. High school dropouts who become prosperous business owners tend to vote Republican or perhaps Libertarian.

Whites tend to vote Republican, even when they are poor. Non whites and Jews tend to vote Democratic, even when they are rich. The tendency of Jews and Asians to vote Democratic even when they are rich irritates Republicans. It can probably be explained by the fact that Asian societies value social harmony, and that American society values individualism and competition. Jews are less averse to competition, but they usually have a collective memory of the shtetl, the ghetto, and the lower east side of Manhattan.

Moreover, the tragic history of the Jews has taught them that they are safest in multi ethnic societies, where no ethnicity is clearly dominant. For obvious reasons they feel differently about Israel. The Jewish tendency to support lower immigration laws in the United States, but stricter immigration laws in Israel angers white nationalists.

The authors get their data about how Americans with different characteristics behave and think from the U.S. General Social Survey (GSS). Most of what they find is what you would expect: rich people are less likely to favor higher taxes on the rich that are poor people; promiscuous people are more likely to favor legal abortion than are monogamous people; gun owners are less likely to favor more gun control laws than are people who do not own guns, etc.

One area where people differ is in human capital. People with high human capital score well on mental aptitude tests and are well educated. People with low human capital test poorly and are poorly educated. People with high human capital welcome competition with people of other races and religions. People with low human capital desire a form of group based preference.

Blacks and Hispanics with low human capital desire affirmative action policies. White Gentiles with low human capital want Jews and non whites to be discriminated against in hiring and university admissions.

Low human capital explains the antisemitism that infects some websites on the internet. White Gentiles with low human capital sneer at the poverty of poor blacks and Hispanics at the same time that they resent the prosperity of Jews and Orientals.

The most interesting finding of this book is that sexual behavior has more of an influence on religious attendance than does religious attendance have on sexual behavior. The authors discuss sexual behavior with a continuum that ranges from those they call "Freewheelers" at one extreme, to "Ring Bearers" on the other. Freewheelers enjoy sexual variety and casual sex, and have little interest in marriage. Ring Bearers have little (or no) interest in sexual variety and casual sex, and much interest in marriage.
Interesting perspective.

(and of course, the response from the leftoids and rightoids both is resounding confusion and anger)

I've often wondered what my life and politics would have been like if I had been born to a different race, or to a poor family in West Virginia, or a rich(er) family in the Northern Corridor's financial sector. If I had been another one of the Trump sons, would I be as much of a scumbag as any one of them?

Honestly... I probably would. People always like to say that their core values would be unchanged regardless of what happened to them or where they came from, but I see little evidence of that. Humans are animals, they're trained and conditioned in the same way that any other animals are.

Back