Your List of Favourite Authors

Well, to say—as the OP originally did—that some text X is a delight to read (statement about some object without any subjective qualification!) implies that said text X is exceptionally well-written, and, accordingly, the OP, at least originally, also praised its "mastery of prose." And, coincidentally, in questions of prose style there exist at least some attempts at describing objectively—in the just explicated sense—what differentiates good from bad, e.g., "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk and E. B. White.

Something can be exceptionally well written but not be a delight to read.You are still assigning objectivity to subjective opinions. There are many exceptionally well written instruction manuals available.

Here are my top 5 all-time favourite authors. Like many of you I've been a long time reader and my list heavily skews towards my own preferences as a straight male, but I think #1, #2 and #4 have broad appeal.

Thanks. I don't do much reading here--not enough to form a list of favorites. But seeing such lists by long-time readers here is useful, I think, to readers looking for new authors to try out. In the mainstream, I tend to latch onto writers and read their whole series, in chronological order, if possible. I've found a lot of authors I like to read through recommendations of other readers.

Technically, everyody may have his (or her) own taste, that doesn't preclude a (common?) standard of taste, or does it?

So do you really think that there's no way to tell if some story A is better than some story B? Since, on principle, everybody's judgement is right in matters of taste?

I suppose we could use grammar and technical writing as a barometer in the sense that horrible grammar can ruin a story and there are certain rules of grammar that should apply across the board.

For me, I can be forgiving on grammar providing its not so bad that its causing issues following the story, but if its awful, then I feel the author is being lazy and making no effort

So using technical writing as a metric we could say someone is better than someone else.

But as far as ideas, story telling, creativity, style, shorter vs longer, the sexual depictions etc...that's going to vary from reader to reader.

Yet the "something" the OP was talking about was something rather specific, erotic prose fiction, which is not quite the same as an instruction manual, don't you agree?

So, staying true to the subject matter, do you really think that there is exceptionally well-written erotic prose that is not also a delight to read? If so, could you provide an example maybe?

But as far as ideas, story telling, creativity, style, shorter vs longer, the sexual depictions etc...that's going to vary from reader to reader.
I didn't deny that! Still, you didn't answer my question. Do you really think that every reader's opinion of ideas, story telling, creativity, style, story length, sexual depictions, etc., is equally right?

Last edited:
Yet the "something" the OP was talking about was something rather specific, erotic prose fiction, which is not quite the same as an instruction manual, don't you agree?

So, staying true to the subject matter, do you really think that there is exceptionally well-written erotic prose that is not also a delight to read? If so, could you provide an example maybe?

This just seems to me to be a lot of pointless noodling. Rather than picking over people's words, why don't you just list some authors you like yourself? That way you will contribute in a meaningful way to this thread. You're asking questions nobody else is interested in answering.

Leaving aside that the question of objective vs subjective statements is much broader than the specifics of the original post, of course there is well written erotic prose that is not a delight to read. If it is objectively a delight to read, then every reader would find it so. Clearly that is not, and never will be, the case.

No example is needed to make that point, but I will offer one. Henry Miller wrote brilliant erotic prose, but I find it unpleasant and anything but delightful, even while admiring his sense of style. But that's just my subjective opinion.

Last edited:
I didn't deny that! Still, you didn't answer my question. Do you really think that every reader's opinion of ideas, story telling, creativitiy, style, story length, sexual depictions, etc., is equally right?

If what you're ultimately getting at is does one readers opinion mean more than another's, then...what criteria would qualify that person's opinion having more weight.

Again if we went to pure grammar, there are people here with real editing experience who could say someone's technical writing is better or worse than another writers.

But with fiction...what gives an opinion more validity? They read a lot? They read a lot in that category?

I'm not arguing with you, I just don't see it mattering.

But let me ask you this. I've been writing reading on here for 12 years. I've written(counting ones deleted) over 150 stories here. I'm popular on the lists, won some contests etc...

So if I said to you writer a is better than writer B, do you think my opinion has more value than say...someone who has been here a month and read or written a handful of stories?

Leaving aside that re "delight" I didn't talk about erotic prose in general but the specific kind the OP seemingly wanted to promote, i.e., masterful (erotic) prose, which I take to be broadly synonymous with exceptionally well-written (erotic) prose, I'd really like to know what you think makes Henry Miller's erotic prose "brilliant" if you don't find any pleasure in it but rather the downright opposite? How can you even call his prose "erotic" if in your own experience reading it doesn't provide any pleasure or delight?

Besides, I'd take issue with your account of an objective statement being a statement that in actual fact everyone would agree with. Simply put, I'm rather sceptical that you could even find a single "objective" statement in this sense, i.e., a statement that every single one on earth would agree with! Hence, if your account were true, the adjective "objective" and adverb "objectively" would be pretty much meaningless because there would be virtually no use for them apart from negating that anything could be "objective"—just as you seem to do here.

But what then do you make of statements like the following one by Erich Fromm:
Erich Fromm said:
The narcissistic orientation is one in which one experiences as real only that which exists within oneself, while the phenomena in the outside world have no reality in themselves, but are experienced only from the viewpoint of their being useful or dangerous to one. The opposite pole to narcissism is objectivity; it is the faculty to see other people and things as they are, objectively, and to be able to separate this objective picture from a picture which is formed by one's desires and fears.

Last edited:
Leaving aside that re "delight" I didn't talk about erotic prose in general but the specific kind the OP seemingly wanted to promote, i.e., masterful (erotic) prose, which I take to be broadly synonymous with exceptionally well-written (erotic) prose, I'd really like to know what you think makes Henry Miller's erotic prose "brillant" if you don't find any pleasure in it but rather the downright opposite? How can you even call his prose "erotic" if in your own experience reading it doesn't provide any pleasure or delight?

Besides, I'd take issue with your account of an objective statement being a statement that in actual fact everyone would agree with. Simply put, I'm rather sceptical that you could even find a single "objective" statement in this sense, i.e., a statement that every single one on earth would agree with! Hence, if your account were true, the adjective "objective" and adverb "objectively" would be pretty much meaningless because there would be virtually no use for them apart from negating that anything could be "objective"—just as you seem to do here.

But what then do you make of statements like the following one by Erich Fromm:

I think we've gone around on this enough, and ought to let the thread serve it's original purpose.

I'm not arguing with you, I just don't see it mattering.
Well, that's not an answer to my question either! I am perfectly able to conceive that, ultimately, one's readers' opinions don't matter all that much to an individual writer, since said writer might simply write whatever he or she likes to write. So that's that.

But, in contrast, my question was if you really think that, for example, everything every single reader of yours has ever said (and ever will say) about your fiction is equally right?

So if I said to you writer a is better than writer B, do you think my opinion has more value than say...someone who has been here a month and read or written a handful of stories?
Well, I'd then like to know what you mean by "writer A is better than writer B," just as I asked the OP the same question. You see, since I go by stories, not by authors, I'm naturally intrigued how others just seem to take the opposite approach and go by authors, not by stories. Depending on what your answer would be, I'd only then be really able to know what to make of your prima facie value judgement (and expression of taste)!

My favorite authors, in no particular order, are:

Robert B. Parker
Malcolm Gladwell
Michael Lewis
Janet Evanovich
Joel Selvin
Patricia Cornwell

I will not opine about fellow Lit authors except to encourage everyone to keep writing and striving with each story to make it their best one ever.

I will not opine about fellow Lit authors except to encourage everyone to keep writing and striving with each story to make it their best one ever.

That's how I feel. I expect that others do too, and that's one reason the thread was so easily derailed.

Well, that's not an answer to my question either! I am perfectly able to conceive that, ultimately, one's readers' opinions don't matter all that much to an individual writer, since said writer might simply write whatever he or she likes to write. So that's that.

But, in contrast, my question was if you really think that, for example, everything every single reader of yours has ever said (and ever will say) about your fiction is equally right?

Well, I'd then like to know what you mean by "writer A is better than writer B," just as I asked the OP the same question. You see, since I go by stories, not by authors, I'm naturally intrigued how others just seem to take the opposite approach and go by authors, not by stories. Depending on what your answer would be, I'd only then be really able to know what to make of your prima facie value judgement (and expression of taste)!

I was going to reply I'd like to know what your real point is in all this, but decided that you don't have one other than chain yanking.

Or maybe there is a point somewhere and I've exhausted my interest in the topic.

The OP simply was asking for people to name their fav five authors, that's it. Somehow this turned into you wanting to have everything quantified when the real answer is favorite is based on simple opinion and everyone has a different one.

There's nothing beyond that other semantics and a series "yeah buts" and pretending you're not being answered when there's no real question here.

That's how I feel. I expect that others do too, and that's one reason the thread was so easily derailed.

Exactly. Personally, I can't separate personal kink preferences from how much I enjoy what I read.

One of my current favorite lit stories ticks numerous kink boxes for me. It has a poor rating and sadly for good reasons. There are numerous grammar and logic errors; however, it does its job to stimulate my imagination.

I recently read a book by a Lit author that I thoroughly enjoyed. It hit the right kink boxes and was well written. About halfway through it went way beyond my kinks into territory I personally do not like at all. I felt it was still a good book due to the writing and masterful character development.

Bottom line I feel preferences are extremely personal and absolutely subjective. There is no way to be objective.

Having battled my way through this thread, I am no closer to understanding why I need criteria – objective or subjective – to justify the selection of my five favourite erotica authors.

Outside the field of erotica, my favourite authors include Graham Greene, Anthony Burgess, Lawrence Durrell, E L Doctorow, J P Donleavy, John le Carré, and a few others. Why? Because they have all written stuff that I have enjoyed reading. The end. Why would erotica be any different?

Having battled my way through this thread, I am no closer to understanding why I need criteria – objective or subjective – to justify the selection of my five favourite erotica authors.

Outside the field of erotica, my favourite authors include Graham Greene, Anthony Burgess, Lawrence Durrell, E L Doctorow, J P Donleavy, John le Carré, and a few others. Why? Because they have all written stuff that I have enjoyed reading. The end. Why would erotica be any different?

But was it a fun battle?

I don't feel comfortable singling out Lit authors as the best or even favorite. If you are that interested, read my favorites list in my profile. I have no idea why anyone other than an interested reader would want to....

Now non erotic that's different. My favorite living authors are Neil Gaiman and Kate Dicamillo. Their talent and abilities stun me. For pure guilty pleasure I also love Clive Cussler, though he has sadly passed away.
Now deceased authors I love and regularly revisit include Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Alexandre Dumas, Bram Stoker, Agatha Christie and J.R.R. Tolkien.

I also willingly admit (and for utterly personal, indefinable reasons) I absolutely can't stand Melville's Moby Dick. Blech.

I see what you guys saying. Perhaps this was not the best board to post a thread like this. As authors you guys probably spend most of your time writing anyway.

The lists of non erotica authors are still very appreciated.

I don't really have an order, and I'm not going to limit it to five, but names off the top of my head.

Daniellekitten
Selena Kitt
Evil Alpaca
Fallingtofly
Redhairedandfriendly
Slyc_willie
Aurorablack
manyeyedhydra

I see what you guys saying. Perhaps this was not the best board to post a thread like this. As authors you guys probably spend most of your time writing anyway.

No, you asked a fair question
Even with the derailing there have been some interesting answers.
Thanks for posting

I don't really have an order, and I'm not going to limit it to five, but names off the top of my head.

Daniellekitten
Selena Kitt
Evil Alpaca
Fallingtofly
Redhairedandfriendly
Slyc_willie
Aurorablack
manyeyedhydra

Ooooooo, nice list

I would throw goldeniangel in this group
slyc_wilie, man, I miss him

My favourite author is always the one I’m reading at the moment. At the present time it’s Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith.

I consider that every story on Lit by Black Shanglan, except one, is objectively and subjectively a delight to read. And rejectively I will ignore any would be disputant who argues otherwise, before they have read the "Horses" work. :)

I liked a Robert Jordan series i read and the first few books of Anne Rice's vampire series. Right now I'm reading a James Fenimore Cooper book and Dale Carnegie's book about friends. Both are good reads.

Don't feel bad about it at all. It was just the right place to post it.

I think there's some understandable reluctance of some authors (me included) to name other existing authors as "favorites," for various reasons. But it's a perfectly reasonable subject to bring up, and talking about it can expose us to authors we haven't paid attention to before.

One of the peculiar difficulties of having a conversation about erotica favorites is that "what is erotic" varies so much from one person to another. I have my own concept of what is erotic, and it's different from that of others. There are stories I enjoy that might leave others completely flat. There's no right or wrong to it.

Back