2009 Survivor Poetry Challenge: Discussion and Announcements

jthserra wrote an excellent article on haiku--
What is Haiku?

In it, jthserra comments on the whole 5-7-5 misconception, how haiku should be like a snapshot capturing a single moment, and other valuable advice.

You may want to check this out.

What is Haiku by jthserra. It's comprehensive and clarifies a lot about how to write haiku. And if you want to explore further, he has a whole "More on Haiku" series on his submissions page.

Lol. Snap. :)

What's that saying about "Great mimes think alike" about the same glass box or sumthing???

What's that saying about "Great mimes think alike" about the same glass box or sumthing???

I dunno but I have to go read that article now or I am going to be way outside the box. The haiku box, maybe even the poetry box!

Thanks guys I will go and read that. Now I have a problem I don't have the wherewithal to make an audio poem, I do however know someone who has, though whether she will is another matter, so if she would and it was a poem I wrote is she allowed to do it for me?

Another question ....... I notice form N has two sorts of Sonnets do we just chose one? or can we do both?

OK, let me see if I don't forget to answer anything.

First, I think it was Carrie who said that cheating at Survivor is like faking an orgasm when you're masturbating. I'm going to be flexible enough on all the required forms. If it's close enough to feel like you tried it, it's good. If you break a rule of a form because it was the only way of making it a better poem, it's good. No need to police each other.

If a poem is not close enough, I'm sure someone will call it in time, and the author can always relocate it to a Poet's Choice and try again, or just submit an edit, or something.

Second, about the haiku. The way the form is defined in the requirements, it's haiku or senryu or zappai. This means there's a lot of leeway in there.

Third, about form N. It calls for a sonnet, either English or Spenserian, whatever floats your boat.

As for trigger #6- the "modern day" dramatic monologue...

Does "modern day" distinguish it as something different than say, My Last Duchess?

As for trigger #6- the "modern day" dramatic monologue...

Does "modern day" distinguish it as something different than say, My Last Duchess?

I don't think so because the form is still a poem in which the narrator, in the course of the poem and via a monologue, reveals something of him or herself unintentionally. Browning is considered the master of the form, but probably the most famous poem that is also a dramatic monologue is Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock (speaking of masters). "Modern day" has to refer to voice, a modern (and not archaic) voice.

And it's kind of a strange form in that the rules have more to do with rhetoric (the unintentional revelation via monologue) than structure.

Here are links to a few others, both Browning's:

The Bishop Orders His Tomb at St. Praxed's

Andrea Del Sarto (one of my favorites of the form; a real heart-wrencher imo)

Tennyson's Ulysses is also a dramatic monologue. But off the top of my head, Prufrock is the most modern example of the form that comes to my mind.

If there's some other meaning of "modern-day," I need the explanation, too.

ty, Angeline.

I get the stressed importance of implied info in a dramatic dialogue.

Can a dramatic dialogue be a form poem? I know it would be difficult, especially since it has to be at least 21 lines. I'm just looking at the prompts and weighing all my options.

ty, Angeline.

I get the stressed importance of implied info in a dramatic dialogue.

Can a dramatic dialogue be a form poem? I know it would be difficult, especially since it has to be at least 21 lines. I'm just looking at the prompts and weighing all my options.

I don't see why it couldn't, but I agree with you it would be hard! Lots to manage, theme and structure at the same time. Oy.

It might be nice, not necessary, but nice, if Survivor poets put the trigger and form below their poem when submitting, that way readers can be alerted to the challenge.

I kind of like reading a poem without knowing the form, because if I know the form, my brain starts to look for the patterns while reading and I get distracted from the message. However, if the form were to show up after reading, it would be interesting to re-read it as an example.

Just a suggestion.

What a night.

2 am... then, 3 am.. still couldn't sleep.
So, what do I do?
write a villanelle, of course.

After reading it several times, I adjusted a few things and submitted it. It was very emotional, so I knew I wouldn't be able to read it over and over until it was perfected. But, I really like it, even if it is a little choppy.

It's called Drama Life, Curtain Birth.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be nice, not necessary, but nice, if Survivor poets put the trigger and form below their poem when submitting, that way readers can be alerted to the challenge.

I kind of like reading a poem without knowing the form, because if I know the form, my brain starts to look for the patterns while reading and I get distracted from the message. However, if the form were to show up after reading, it would be interesting to re-read it as an example.

Just a suggestion.

You're quite right and I kicked myself after seeing you do it

Thanks so much it's the stuff I used to write before I knew that all poetry doesn't rhyme lol

Cleared off/ran away/eloped that sort of thing oh dear this completes mucks up my limerick if
no-one knows what it means

Back