A thought on the Top List's update boards

Re: Hi

pop_54 said:
Not that anyone will take much notice of what I'm saying, no one has yet.

Pop,

Sometimes it's better not to be noticed. ;)

My first tale a bit of a rough up I wrote a year or so ago and posted here a couple of days ago is at 4.59 with 81 votes and 15682 views, is this good bad or average?????

That's actually quite good, especially for a first story. I will try to take a look at your story soon. Unfortunately, writing, studying and classes (not to mention a fiancee) have this nasty habit of taking up my time.

Pookie :rose:

Well, if Luarel leaves the 1-5 but...

This is mainly a suggestion for Laurel, but it means that I am assuming that she deletes 1's in the first place, and has a sense of the ridiculous at the number of 5's that get voted in as well as the fact that there are certain unscrupulous louts amongst the, er.. shall we say voters. This would be done just prior to the end of each contest:

If we left the 1-5 voting system in place, but for every 1 Laurel got rid of she also deleted a 5, then if after that for every 2 vote she now deleted, (this is only done for five 2's) she also deleted a 4. Then also deleted just three 3's for any given story, we'd have a more accurate assessment of the votes for the contest now. Now if a story gets no 1 votes, or 2 votes, it is assessed six deletions of 5's, and five deletions of 4's, but nothing else.

It would pit the ridiculous 1 flamers, against the equally ridiculous 5 fans that everybody gets, and also weed out certain insidious factors as well. For those who purposely cheat, they'd have to come up with a hell of a lot more friends willing to be cheaters just like them.

Would the scores be higher for every story? Well, since we work on the average here, not nessassarily so. In fact, some stories may actually dive bomb, but then they should have in the first place. The thing is, the story will end up with a more realistic average in the votes. And any story that ends up with a perfect 5 here will be eliminated from the contest, because 1.) there is no perfect 5 story now, and 2.) the human factor of how people vote truthfully takes over, and no two people agree on what makes an absolutely perfect story. The big 5 vote would now take on a whole new meaning, and the good writers shouldn't be effected at all, though they may have slightly higher scores from now on.

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

Re: Re: Hi

Pookie_grrl said:
Pop,

Sometimes it's better not to be noticed. ;)

That's actually quite good, especially for a first story. I will try to take a look at your story soon. Unfortunately, writing, studying and classes (not to mention a fiancee) have this nasty habit of taking up my time.

Pookie :rose:

Thanks for the answer Pookie_ grrl, I'll keep quiet now, ;) I often do just lurk in the background having a comment or bitch occasionally as I feel the need.

Don't take it to heart chicklet, just me in a funny mood, male menopause probably, hehe:D

Back