Auteur Challenge: Do you know your poets?

Oh I want to eat there, believe me. It's not too pricey for us, but booked solid for the rest of the season. A reservation isn't quite as impossible to get as in El Bulli, but requires a lot of previous planning. In other news ... I could cook up a hell of a meal starting with little neck clams steamed in Madeira wine and basil. :D
The Danes love Canadians almost as much as the Dutch do. Let your flag fly and I'll bet you'll move up the queue or at least garner an invite to share a table... :) What would you have to lose, really?

Two Danish lesbians wouldn't leave me alone on a cruise Ron had to keep getting between them and me and in the end have a word with their Rep it was getting beyond a joke with them being all over me like a rash and touchy feely

Not to put too fine a point on it cocks are salty things (eventually :D) and salty and choccie don't mix

What else could I expect from a nation that puts syrup on bacon *deliberately doesn't mention the Deep fried Mars Bar but that is Scotland*

Syrup is good on bacon, at least with real maple syrup!
Syrup is not a good addition to milk, as I discovered eating breakfast after a bunch of us kids slept out for the night.
Once in Oxford we went to a restaurant where they served pancakes. There was a bottle of brown liquid on the table, so I poured it on. Turns out it was soy sauce and not syrup!

What else could I expect from a nation that puts syrup on bacon *deliberately doesn't mention the Deep fried Mars Bar but that is Scotland*
Maybe EO puts syrup on bacon, but he lives in Texas, which is thrilled to point out that it was an independent country at one time. In my part of the (rational) USA, pouring syrup on bacon is like way out of bounds.

I mean, if you accidentally spill some off of your pancakes, well, that's no fault no foul, but deliberately?

Like, nuh uh.

But I want to know. Is that how you English see us? I remember one of my first nights in London, ordering room service for an "olde English pizza" that was slathered in what I would call "Canadian bacon," (your back bacon, or simply, "bacon," perhaps) that was topped with mozzarella and melted Stilton (!) cheese!

I mean, yikes.

You guys eat that?

I know. We Americans have some pretty disgusting foods, too. Any country does. (Can I play here, O, Canada?)

But surely we aren't any weirder than you guys, are we?

Syrup is good on bacon, at least with real maple syrup!
Syrup is not a good addition to milk, as I discovered eating breakfast after a bunch of us kids slept out for the night.
Once in Oxford we went to a restaurant where they served pancakes. There was a bottle of brown liquid on the table, so I poured it on. Turns out it was soy sauce and not syrup!

Syrup in milk is wonderful. We called them Brown Cows in our house when I was growing up. A couple of cups of milk in the blender, an egg, and several seconds of drizzled syrup from the bottle...then whip the whole thing together and pour into a tall glass. (I liked to add a little nonchocolate Ovaltine to mine to get a bit of that malt taste to it.)

:cool:

Syrup in milk is wonderful. We called them Brown Cows in our house when I was growing up. A couple of cups of milk in the blender, an egg, and several seconds of drizzled syrup from the bottle...then whip the whole thing together and pour into a tall glass. (I liked to add a little nonchocolate Ovaltine to mine to get a bit of that malt taste to it.)

:cool:

Well thats different - I just pured the syrup into my milk.

Maybe EO puts syrup on bacon, but he lives in Texas, which is thrilled to point out that it was an independent country at one time. In my part of the (rational) USA, pouring syrup on bacon is like way out of bounds.

I mean, if you accidentally spill some off of your pancakes, well, that's no fault no foul, but deliberately?

Like, nuh uh.

But I want to know. Is that how you English see us? I remember one of my first nights in London, ordering room service for an "olde English pizza" that was slathered in what I would call "Canadian bacon," (your back bacon, or simply, "bacon," perhaps) that was topped with mozzarella and melted Stilton (!) cheese!

I mean, yikes.

You guys eat that?

I know. We Americans have some pretty disgusting foods, too. Any country does. (Can I play here, O, Canada?)

But surely we aren't any weirder than you guys, are we?

Olde English pizza?? how can it be old English anything when it's Italian lol Can't say I've even seen it advertised let alone eaten it. What do you have for bacon then? and it's about time you had proper sausages the English pork sausage is a joy to the taste buds
BANGERS AND MASH so called because doing the war years there was a lot of water in the sausages and if they weren't pierced were liable to explode in the pan!

Olde English pizza?? how can it be old English anything when it's Italian lol Can't say I've even seen it advertised let alone eaten it. What do you have for bacon then? and it's about time you had proper sausages the English pork sausage is a joy to the taste buds
BANGERS AND MASH so called because doing the war years there was a lot of water in the sausages and if they weren't pierced were liable to explode in the pan!

Interesting that a traditional English food relies on an American ingredient - potatoes. Likewise for tomatoes, which we now associate with Italian food. Culinary practices had to be quite different before Europeans discovered America.

Olde English pizza?? how can it be old English anything when it's Italian lol Can't say I've even seen it advertised let alone eaten it.
Yeah, that's what we thought.

It was on the room service menu in the London County Hall Marriott, right across from Parliament. We got to the hotel really late and there was no place to go to eat, so we decided to try it because it sounded "interesting."

Which it was.

Edible. Mostly. Probably intended to appeal to the notoriously lousy taste of American tourists.
What do you have for bacon then?
"Bacon" in the USA means what I think you call "streaky bacon." What you call "bacon," we call Canadian bacon.

Both are common, though streaky bacon is what you would normally get for breakfast unless you specifically ordered Canadian bacon. It isn't all that common, at least where I live. Fried ham would probably be more common than Canadian bacon at breakfast.

It could be different in other parts of the country. We're a big country.

You basically can't find grits here in the northwest, for example, and they would be on almost any breakfast menu in the south.
and it's about time you had proper sausages the English pork sausage is a joy to the taste buds
I've never had bangers and mash. My wife has, and likes them.

I'm more partial to your pies. I'd take a Shepherd's Pie anyday over bangers and mash.

And I find it interesting that your "fish and chips" is literally "fish"--more or less the whole fish dipped in batter and fried. We colonists serve mincey little battered filets for that.

And, as I told her, I finally learned what a chipbutty was. (I think she has one in her current avatar.) Never, never heard that term before.

Food. Always weird.

I wonder what you would make of Pie Mash and Liquor the best is to be gotten in Chapel Street Islington if you ever pop over ....... and yes the liquor is green!!
Oh by the way you can get all sorts of butties whatever you fancy slapping between two slices of bread, from jam (I think that's preserves to you) to a sliced sausage or maybe a fried egg or if you're feeling posh a slice of smoked salmon. They are all butties we even used to have sugar buttties when we were kids (very good for the teeth!)

Last edited:
What's a Barm Cake? I'm English and don't have a clue. They're always eating them on Corrie.
Google: Barm cake.

Google: Corrie.

I have no effing clue if these're what your're talking about, since your comment seemed to me to be quite impenetrably English, but at least they give me some purchase on the long and quite uncomfortable beach of raging language differences that appear to separate our otherwise quite congruent linguistics.

Damn protean languages, always shifting shape! :mad:

Oddest foodstuff: I am just finishing up a good humor cone that is bright pink and ostensibly strawberry flavored that has, in the rounded tip at the bottom, a gumball (bright blue). It's like a weird pink teat with a blue nipple but oh so yummy. Chewy, too.

There's this Taiwanese chain Bubble Tea all over the place. I don't like little balls in my tea.

What's a Barm Cake? I'm English and don't have a clue. They're always eating them on Corrie.

I have no effing clue if these're what you're talking about, since your comment seemed to me to be quite impenetrably English, but at least they give me some purchase on the long and quite uncomfortable beach of raging language differences that appear to separate our otherwise quite congruent linguistics.

well i'll be damned, it's a bloody bread roll (of sorts!) I always thought they were some sort of stodgy, fruity, heavy hybrid of cake and biscuit! dark with treacle, perhaps. damn, the reality's far less interesting. sigh.

Oddest foodstuff: I am just finishing up a good humor cone that is bright pink and ostensibly strawberry flavored that has, in the rounded tip at the bottom, a gumball (bright blue). It's like a weird pink teat with a blue nipple but oh so yummy. Chewy, too.
do you mean an ice-cream cone? if you do, over here i think they're called screwballs

http://www.marinaicecream.com/images/Good Humor/Screwball.jpg

http://www.iceland.co.uk/system/products/images/457.jpg

I have no effing clue if these're what your're talking about, since your comment seemed to me to be quite impenetrably English, but at least they give me some purchase on the long and quite uncomfortable beach of raging language differences that appear to separate our otherwise quite congruent linguistics.

Lol Corrie is Coronation Street a soap that's been running since the year dot

well i'll be damned, it's a bloody bread roll (of sorts!) I always thought they were some sort of stodgy, fruity, heavy hybrid of cake and biscuit! dark with treacle, perhaps. damn, the reality's far less interesting. sigh.

do you mean an ice-cream cone? if you do, over here i think they're called screwballs

http://www.marinaicecream.com/images/Good Humor/Screwball.jpg

http://www.iceland.co.uk/system/products/images/457.jpg

Were you thinking more along these lines Malt Loaf

Anyone for Bread and drippin' ?

When I googled this to show you a picture I got offered several sites on bed wetting!!

erm, no thanks. my old man used to eat that and tried to get us kids to *gagsville*
" a mucky fat sandwich" suits that down to the ground as far as i'm concerned!

Last edited:
Back